Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 50

Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?

Poll expired: Oct 17, 2012  
  • 80% (237)
    Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 15% (45)
    Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
296 Total Votes  
post #491 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

*cough* The last post in that thread was from July, 2011 (minus the thread necro).
He isn't wrong though. In the Intel specification sheet (p. 75), it states that Vcc Max is 1.52v. I guess some other people on here had major disputes with that being max safe voltage.
I honestly think it was just due to the die shrink from 45nm to 32nm. Everyone thought that it was impossible for Sandy Bridge to have the same voltage requirment as the 45nm chip line, but like I said, Intel works hard at what they do; perhaps they found a new "System" to make 32nm work the same as 45nm (voltage wise).
So far no one has provided any evidence to date that 1.5v is bad. Some people, like myself have been running at 1.5v from the day Sandy Bridge came out. I have not seen a single degradation. Degradation would include things like: (1) OC failing and requiring more voltage over time. (2) Temperatures rising over time. (3) Performance in benchmarks decreasing over time.
There was a guy who ran his chip at 1.7v (just for giggles) and it died in about a day. But don't get scared, because 1.7v is an ENORMOUS jump from 1.5v ESPECIALLY if the limit truly is 1.52v.

Thanks Kenny...the guy who ran 1.7 vcore, was that a suicide run? Or did he stabilize it and ran full load for 24 hours straight?

I agree 1.7 is pretty atrocious...but if you have the right resources, you can get a nice suicide run in smile.gif
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4670k 4.6GHz 1.24v Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 780 ACX x2 SLI 16gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256gb Noctua NH-D15 Windows 8.1 PRO 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U3011 30inch 2560x1600 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-850 80+ Gold Cooler Master HAF X Logitech G602 Corsair Vengeance MM200 
AudioAudio
Schiit Modi USB DAC External Sound Card Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 4670k 4.6GHz 1.24v Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 780 ACX x2 SLI 16gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 PRO 256gb Noctua NH-D15 Windows 8.1 PRO 64 Bit Dell UltraSharp U3011 30inch 2560x1600 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-850 80+ Gold Cooler Master HAF X Logitech G602 Corsair Vengeance MM200 
AudioAudio
Schiit Modi USB DAC External Sound Card Corsair SP2500 2.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #492 of 9531
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

*cough* The last post in that thread was from July, 2011 (minus the thread necro).
He isn't wrong though. In the Intel specification sheet (p. 75), it states that Vcc Max is 1.52v. I guess some other people on here had major disputes with that being max safe voltage.
I honestly think it was just due to the die shrink from 45nm to 32nm. Everyone thought that it was impossible for Sandy Bridge to have the same voltage requirment as the 45nm chip line, but like I said, Intel works hard at what they do; perhaps they found a new "System" to make 32nm work the same as 45nm (voltage wise).
So far no one has provided any evidence to date that 1.5v is bad. Some people, like myself have been running at 1.5v from the day Sandy Bridge came out. I have not seen a single degradation. Degradation would include things like: (1) OC failing and requiring more voltage over time. (2) Temperatures rising over time. (3) Performance in benchmarks decreasing over time.
There was a guy who ran his chip at 1.7v (just for giggles) and it died in about a day. But don't get scared, because 1.7v is an ENORMOUS jump from 1.5v ESPECIALLY if the limit truly is 1.52v.

Thanks Kenny...the guy who ran 1.7 vcore, was that a suicide run? Or did he stabilize it and ran full load for 24 hours straight?

I agree 1.7 is pretty atrocious...but if you have the right resources, you can get a nice suicide run in smile.gif

Here is from Sin0822: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1026998
158

I think this pretty much proves that Max Safe voltage on Sandy Bridge is 1.52v.
post #493 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by blulight View Post

375

Yea you probably just need more vcore. I would put it back to 45 multi and up the offset then try p95 again. Just for reference mine is between 1.296-1.312v full load in cpuz w/ a 45 multi LLC level 3.

What offset are you currently at?

When P95 failed did a worker stop or did you get a BSOD?

How long was P95 running before it failed?
Edited by Lucky 23 - 5/2/12 at 3:55pm
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #494 of 9531
AArrgghh. My son plugged in a cheap mp3 player into my Extreme3, into the front USB2 ports and managed to knock out the ports. I only see two enhanced controllers now in the device manager. Fortunately the USB3 still works. I think those controllers are fried. We plugged the mp3 player into my gigabyte system with the Lynfield cpu and it shut down the computer, killed the usb ports, they were crossed out in the device manager, but a few reboots later, all is well. But not with the Extreme3. I'm bummed. Want to have front panel, likely will have to get some pci-based gizmo that has a front-panel attached.

I told my son I never want to see that mp3 player again. He got it for a gift at school from a teacher whose husband workds either at Staples or BB. Cheap piece of crap. I've never had a problem like this before. I can live with a USB controller down, I just hope nothing else got damaged. But all seems to be work well. AARRGGHH.

marty
post #495 of 9531
Thanks for the guide, I followed it loosely when overclocking my ivy bridge on the asrock z77 extreme4. Some values I do not understand or I do not have but the rest I followed and im pretty stable at 4.6 except the temps are alittle high. Im running an i5 3570k.
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
Ivy
(19 items)
 
fiance pc
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570K ASRock Extreme4 Z77 eVGA GTX 660 Ti Corsair Dominator DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barricuda 32MB Cache 7200RPM OCZ Vertex 3 SSD TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B ATA XSPC Raystorm(Intel) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
XSPC Razor GTX 570 Magicool Slim 140mmX2 Radiator XSPC Res+Pump Combo Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus 22in Widescreen 1680x1050 I-Rocks Light up Rosewill Xtreme 850W Green NZXT M59 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G500 Steelseries Qck+ Steelseries Siberia v1 Headset with USB Soundcard 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Quad Q9550 Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR nVidia Geforce GTX 260 Core 216 Corsair Dominator DDR3 1333MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate Barricuda 7200RPM XSPC Raystorm CPU (Intel) Windows 7 x64 HP 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logisys Light Up 650Watt 10 dollar special Steelseries 
  hide details  
Reply
post #496 of 9531
I've just had a go at overclocking and it doesn't feel quite right. I'm new to this so what I'm about to describe may be normal but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

During "Starting off..." I managed to get up to 4.4GHz without increasing the voltage offset. Once the CPU ratio was 45, Windows freezes on boot. Ok, time to change it back to 44 and move on to the next step.

I went back into the BIOS and increased the ratio to 45 and the offset to +0.010V. Still freezers on boot.
Increase the voltage again. Still freezes on boot.
Increase voltage again. Makes it through boot but freezes the moment Windows loads.

I continued to keep increasing the voltage offset and WIndows kept freezing on either boot or once I had logged in. This went all the way up to a voltage of around 1.5V (~1.35V Vcore and +0.100V offset) so I decided not to raise it any further.

4.4GHz is probably more than enough but I thought it was rather odd that increasing the voltage had not allowed a higher overclock at all. I thought maybe I was misunderstanding the Vcore value given in the BIOS and that it was including the offset (was ~1.2V before overclocking).

Anything blindingly obvious that I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Michael
post #497 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelc View Post

I've just had a go at overclocking and it doesn't feel quite right. I'm new to this so what I'm about to describe may be normal but any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.
During "Starting off..." I managed to get up to 4.4GHz without increasing the voltage offset. Once the CPU ratio was 45, Windows freezes on boot. Ok, time to change it back to 44 and move on to the next step.
I went back into the BIOS and increased the ratio to 45 and the offset to +0.010V. Still freezers on boot.
Increase the voltage again. Still freezes on boot.
Increase voltage again. Makes it through boot but freezes the moment Windows loads.
I continued to keep increasing the voltage offset and WIndows kept freezing on either boot or once I had logged in. This went all the way up to a voltage of around 1.5V (~1.35V Vcore and +0.100V offset) so I decided not to raise it any further.
4.4GHz is probably more than enough but I thought it was rather odd that increasing the voltage had not allowed a higher overclock at all. I thought maybe I was misunderstanding the Vcore value given in the BIOS and that it was including the offset (was ~1.2V before overclocking).
Anything blindingly obvious that I am doing wrong?
Thanks,
Michael

You shouldn't need to raise your voltage that much to go from 44 to 45. But it's hard to say without know what board + CPU you're using. Did you try enabling Internal PLL Overvoltage? I need that enabled to get over 46 multi on my Z77E-ITX + 2500K and still be able to boot into windows. Unfortunately enabling it also breaks wake from sleep. So right now I'm sticking to 4.6GHz and crossing my fingers for a BIOS fix.
post #498 of 9531
Hmm ok. I didn't have PLL enabled. I have an i5-2500K and ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 board.

I'll just stick with 4.4GHz for now, then.
post #499 of 9531
I would get a flash drive, format it in fat32 then restart you comp w/ the flashdrive still in the usb port. Go into bios and hit f12. Doing this will take screen shots of your bios screens and save them to the flashdrive. Then post the screenshots in here to see whats going on.
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #500 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 23 View Post

I would get a flash drive, format it in fat32 then restart you comp w/ the flashdrive still in the usb port. Go into bios and hit f12. Doing this will take screen shots of your bios screens and save them to the flashdrive. Then post the screenshots in here to see whats going on.

Ah, so that's how you do it. Nice "how to." I've got an old 256Mg Dell flash drive from 1932 laying around, it would be a good candidate for this. Should be enough memory.

marty
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*