Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 764

Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?

Poll expired: Oct 17, 2012  
  • 80% (237)
    Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 15% (45)
    Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
296 Total Votes  
post #7631 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

Seems like you still have quite a bit of headroom left if that's your maximum temp in prime95. Have you tried 4.6ghz?

I see that you changed c3 ,6 state to disable. Which is a good precaution. I don't see anything that'll warrant a red flag. I would try 4.6 or 4.7 next and watch the temp closely.

My C3/6 is enabled right now. Sorry about the picture quality. No I haven't tried 4.6/4.7. Maybe I will.

I do have a question about my offset. It currently sits at +0.040 while I've read most people run at +/- 0.004 or even lower. Is this a problem or that's just how things are because of my CPU. Trying to grasp this concept.

And how long should the P95 run? 6 hours? 12?
post #7632 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appearance View Post

My C3/6 is enabled right now. Sorry about the picture quality. No I haven't tried 4.6/4.7. Maybe I will.

I do have a question about my offset. It currently sits at +0.040 while I've read most people run at +/- 0.004 or even lower. Is this a problem or that's just how things are because of my CPU. Trying to grasp this concept.

And how long should the P95 run? 6 hours? 12?

The offset is just a arbitrary number based on what your SVID and PLL strength is set to. The situation will also differ depending on the quality if your chip. Take example my last ivy bridge came from a particular bad batch. Setting the offset to +.005 with .004 turbo yielded a whopping 1.36v. My second chip was the opposite that came from a real quality batch. With the same offset and turbo voltage setting yielded a MUCH much lower voltage.

I personally don't like going negative on offset because you're undervolting. Stability issues can pop up. As long as your temps are good. And it passes prime in the winter and the summer. You're pretty golden.

As far as how many hours you should run prime. That's an age old debate. Every user had a different definition of prime stable. Some think 40 mins of blend test is enough while others let it run for 12 hours. Or even 24. It's all up to you. The important thing is you're running the current version of prime95 so that it can properly stress out your CPU. And if it runs all your everyday apps without issues and does the same in the hottest time of summer I call that stable. I've been overclocking for the good past 15 years, that tend to be my rule of thumb.
post #7633 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

The offset is just a arbitrary number based on what your SVID and PLL strength is set to. The situation will also differ depending on the quality if your chip. Take example my last ivy bridge came from a particular bad batch. Setting the offset to +.005 with .004 turbo yielded a whopping 1.36v. My second chip was the opposite that came from a real quality batch. With the same offset and turbo voltage setting yielded a MUCH much lower voltage.

I personally don't like going negative on offset because you're undervolting. Stability issues can pop up. As long as your temps are good. And it passes prime in the winter and the summer. You're pretty golden.

As far as how many hours you should run prime. That's an age old debate. Every user had a different definition of prime stable. Some think 40 mins of blend test is enough while others let it run for 12 hours. Or even 24. It's all up to you. The important thing is you're running the current version of prime95 so that it can properly stress out your CPU. And if it runs all your everyday apps without issues and does the same in the hottest time of summer I call that stable. I've been overclocking for the good past 15 years, that tend to be my rule of thumb.

Alright. Got another one for ya. So, if I try hitting for 4.6/4.7 what should my volts sit around and the temperatures? If it gets close to 85 C I should be concerned right?

Also, thanks for the feedback.
post #7634 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

you can try to lower CPU PLL voltage to 1.7 or 1.6, it might lower your temp by a degree or so. but there's not much you can do if anything below +.039 crashes. your temp looks fine if those are your prime95 temps. in everyday use, they'll never go as high as prime. enjoy your new OC smile.gif
You sure about those numbers? It says that the very minimum is 1.71V on the first page of this guide.

Edit: nvm, I just lowered the PPL to 1.603V and the temp difference is significant. I will post screenshots later.
Edited by n00pe - 12/30/13 at 3:45am
post #7635 of 9542
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00pe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

you can try to lower CPU PLL voltage to 1.7 or 1.6, it might lower your temp by a degree or so. but there's not much you can do if anything below +.039 crashes. your temp looks fine if those are your prime95 temps. in everyday use, they'll never go as high as prime. enjoy your new OC smile.gif
You sure about those numbers? It says that the very minimum is 1.71V on the first page of this guide.

Edit: nvm, I just lowered the PPL to 1.603V and the temp difference is significant. I will post screenshots later.

Intel recommends you don't go below 1.7v. Their minimums are usually there to prevent a very likely unstable chip.
post #7636 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

Intel recommends you don't go below 1.7v. Their minimums are usually there to prevent a very likely unstable chip.
So is it a bad idea having it at 1.603V while it all seems to run stable?

BEFORE (AUTO):


AFTER (1.603 V):

Edited by n00pe - 12/30/13 at 6:26am
post #7637 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00pe View Post

You sure about those numbers? It says that the very minimum is 1.71V on the first page of this guide.

Edit: nvm, I just lowered the PPL to 1.603V and the temp difference is significant. I will post screenshots later.

Users on various forums including extemesystems have tested 1.5-1.8 to be the safe range for PLL. Some users can run into some issues at 1.5. But you definitely don't want to go above 1.8-ish. Below 1.5 you'll definitely or very likely see some stability issues.
post #7638 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appearance View Post

Alright. Got another one for ya. So, if I try hitting for 4.6/4.7 what should my volts sit around and the temperatures? If it gets close to 85 C I should be concerned right?

Also, thanks for the feedback.

Your volts will be whatever your chip needs. I can't recall off the top of my head. But there's a general guideline for minimum voltage requirement for sandy. But that doesn't mean your chip falls right on the line. Again it all depends on the quality of your chip. So I would just up the voltage slowly until it stabilizes. As far as temp. For stress testing prime definitely stay at 85 or below for sandy. For everyday load temp. It's good to keep it below 80. Some would even suggest 70's.
post #7639 of 9542
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

Users on various forums including extemesystems have tested 1.5-1.8 to be the safe range for PLL. Some users can run into some issues at 1.5. But you definitely don't want to go above 1.8-ish. Below 1.5 you'll definitely or very likely see some stability issues.
I think I will stick to what I've got right now. Thanks smile.gif
post #7640 of 9542
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by n00pe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

Intel recommends you don't go below 1.7v. Their minimums are usually there to prevent a very likely unstable chip.
So is it a bad idea having it at 1.603V while it all seems to run stable?

BEFORE (AUTO):
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1817266/width/350/height/700

AFTER (1.603 V):
http://www.overclock.net/content/type/61/id/1817264/width/350/height/700

No. A lower voltage than recommended would only make a system unstable but not harm it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n00pe View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

Users on various forums including extemesystems have tested 1.5-1.8 to be the safe range for PLL. Some users can run into some issues at 1.5. But you definitely don't want to go above 1.8-ish. Below 1.5 you'll definitely or very likely see some stability issues.
I think I will stick to what I've got right now. Thanks smile.gif

Good advice given to you! thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*