Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition* - Page 765

Poll Results: Was this guide helpful?

Poll expired: Oct 17, 2012  
  • 80% (237)
    Yes (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 15% (45)
    Yes (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (and I DO have an ASRock motherboard).
  • 2% (7)
    No (but I DO NOT have an ASRock motherboard).
296 Total Votes  
post #7641 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appearance View Post

Need opinions? Improvements? Read a lot on this guide as well as the responses. Much appreciated.

What is you idle vcore in CPU-Z with the +0.040 offset? Unless your not able to boot into windows, you usually want to keep your offset low to maintain a low idle vcore then increase additional turbo voltage to stabilize your full load.

FYI you can take screen shots of your bios by formatting a flash drive in FAT32, rebooting into bios, and pressing F12. You will have clearer screen shots then using a camera. biggrin.gif
Edited by Lucky 23 - 12/31/13 at 8:32am
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7642 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post


I personally don't like going negative on offset because you're undervolting. Stability issues can pop up. As long as your temps are good. And it passes prime in the winter and the summer. You're pretty golden.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a negative offset. Its not uncommon for people to be running a heavy negative offset with a lower multiplier such as 40-42. Only thing you need to pay attention to when using a negative offset is that your idle vcore does not become too low and become unstable. Still this has been rare in this tread and is usually fixed by adding +0.005mv

I have been running a -0.010 offset for over a year without issues. Its perfectly safe to use
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7643 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 23 View Post

There is absolutely nothing wrong with running a negative offset. Its not uncommon for people to be running a heavy negative offset with a lower multiplier such as 40-42. Only thing you need to pay attention to when using a negative offset is that your idle vcore does not become too low and become unstable. Still this has been rare in this tread and is usually fixed by adding +0.005mv

I have been running a -0.010 offset for over a year without issues. Its perfectly safe to use

Just as there's nothing wrong with overclocking your CPU. Users have been doing it since day one by undervolting their CPU or ram. But just know that that's what you're doing. Undervolting. Stability issues can arise. Having a slightly higher voltage value rather than being right on the edge will only ensure that you have enough headroom for the hottest time of the year when ambient temp rises. Same reason why Intel don't set their factory voltage right on the line where the CPU "just" passes the tests. They factor in additional headroom for various temperatures and environment.
post #7644 of 9531
Sure what ever you say man your the expert rolleyes.gif

Negative offset is very useful when used correctly. You can achieve a very finely tuned overclock when you understand how to use both negative/positive offset and turbo together. Without negative offset i would not be bring my CPU's idle voltage down close to the stock idle voltage. Also other members running a low multiplier would not be able to decrease their vcore without negative offset. Your the only one mentioning so many stability issues but in reality not as many arise as you think if your overclock is setup correctly
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7645 of 9531
Thread Starter 
I'm getting annoyed at how you two bicker like school children.
Say something nice or don't say it at all.


Now back to negative offset.
I explain this in my guide.

I prefer one doesn't use negative offset because it affects idle voltages and Intel already sets them near the lowest they can go so that the chip runs the coolest in its most used state.
That doesn't mean one can't but that I recommend against it as a general guide line.
If you find that a -10 offset doesn't hurt your stability. Nice.

Most people have no trouble with Idle voltages (as they are set by Intel and are already really low voltages).
The problem was trying to reduce overclocked voltages down even when you had 0 offset already.

This is where Turbo voltage comes in. You can use it to decrease overclocked voltages while not changing idle voltages.

Perfect harmony.

Now seriously both of you watch this video...
post #7646 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 23 View Post

Sure what ever you say man your the expert rolleyes.gif

Negative offset is very useful when used correctly. You can achieve a very finely tuned overclock when you understand how to use both negative/positive offset and turbo together. Without negative offset i would not be bring my CPU's idle voltage down close to the stock idle voltage. Also other members running a low multiplier would not be able to decrease their vcore without negative offset. Your the only one mentioning so many stability issues but in reality not as many arise as you think if your overclock is setup correctly

you're just butt hurt because you can't stand other people having other opinions that disagree with you. i clearly said there's nothing wrong with it, but you insist on rebutting. if you have nothing constructive to say, don't reply back to my post at all. at this point we all know you're a HUGE fan of undervolting, so be it. have a cookie, but don't hate on others who have opinion different from yours. just because you have 2 year experience and worked in your case, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. coming from 15 years of experience, i am simply stating my experience. i will simply stand by my "opinion", that having slightly higher voltage will give you more headroom to play with.
post #7647 of 9531
love the vid btw
post #7648 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by howzz1854 View Post

you're just butt hurt because you can't stand other people having other opinions that disagree with you. i clearly said there's nothing wrong with it, but you insist on rebutting. if you have nothing constructive to say, don't reply back to my post at all. at this point we all know you're a HUGE fan of undervolting, so be it. have a cookie, but don't hate on others who have opinion different from yours. just because you have 2 year experience and worked in your case, doesn't mean it works for everyone else. coming from 15 years of experience, i am simply stating my experience. i will simply stand by my "opinion", that having slightly higher voltage will give you more headroom to play with.

I'm not butt hurt. Lets not loose sight of the issue here. I'm arguing with you because you decided to write a paragraph rant post about me and your argument was not even correct. Not to mention my post was not even directed at you. It was directed toward helping another forum member and it was a completely valid point.

1. I reposted about negative offset because you do not have any valid points on why you should not use negative offset aside from it being bad because that's what you read.

2. Now your just changing your story. Adding an additional +0.004 or +0.008mv to your stable full load vcore as a buffer is completely different from having your vcore match your VID rolleyes.gif

3. When did i say i have 2 years experience? I said THIS cpu has been overclocked for 2 years. It has nothing to do with how long i have been overclocking.

If you don't want to be argued with then maybe you shouldn't call out other forum member for no reason
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
Z170 Build
(20 items)
 
Z68 Build
(20 items)
 
Lenovo T430
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I7 6700K @ 4.5ghz  Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 6 XFX R9 290x 8GB XFX R9 290x 8GB 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Gskill RipJaws V 16GB 3000mhz Samsung 850 EVO 250GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB EK-Supremacy EVO CPU Water Block 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK R9 290X GPU Waterblocks EK-XRES 140 Revo D5 PWM Pump Alphacool NexXxoS 360mm ST30 Alphacool NexXxoS 240mm ST30 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Alphacool NexXxoS 120mm ST30 Cooler Master Jetflo 120mm Fans Windows 10  LG 34UC88 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Quickfire TK red switch Cooler Master V1000 MasterCase Pro 5 CM Storm Havoc 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
I5 2500K @ 4.6ghz  ASRock Z68 Extreme 3 Gen 3 ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition ASUS 7870 Ghz Edition 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Gskill RipJaws X 16GB 1600mhz Seagate 2TB Seagate 320GB ASUS Burner 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Cooler Master Eisberg 240L + 120mm Rad Koolance 3/8 x 1/2 Compression Fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Windows 7  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Ubuntu 12.04 ASUS 24" Cooler Master Quickfire TK  Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouse
Cooler Master HAF 932 Black Edition Cooler Master Havoc 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i5-3210M  Intel HD Graphics 4000 Gskill 16GB 1600mhz  Crucial MX200 256GB 
Hard DriveOSOSMonitor
Seagate 320GB Ubuntu 16.04 Windows 10 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7649 of 9531
-Wrong section , ignore this newbie biggrin.gif
Edited by dodemans - 1/1/14 at 1:35pm
post #7650 of 9531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 23 View Post

I'm not butt hurt. Lets not loose sight of the issue here. I'm arguing with you because you decided to write a paragraph rant post about me and your argument was not even correct. Not to mention my post was not even directed at you. It was directed toward helping another forum member and it was a completely valid point.

1. I reposted about negative offset because you do not have any valid points on why you should not use negative offset aside from it being bad because that's what you read.

2. Now your just changing your story. Adding an additional +0.004 or +0.008mv to your stable full load vcore as a buffer is completely different from having your vcore match your VID rolleyes.gif

3. When did i say i have 2 years experience? I said THIS cpu has been overclocked for 2 years. It has nothing to do with how long i have been overclocking.

If you don't want to be argued with then maybe you shouldn't call out other forum member for no reason

i called you out because you clearly think everyone's situation should fall within what you're used to, while it has already been shown on various forums for decades that not all chips are made equal. just because your chip falls within the norm of voltage requirement doesn't mean everyone else's chip should. every chip is made different, the norm is just that, the norm. one person's voltage requirement will differ from yours and mine. now, if you're offended by that then you are butt hurt.

the initial argument of VID has already been discussed. i said VID was set by intel as the factory voltage, which is true you can't argue with that. Kenny came in and mentioned that anything above stock frequency isn't tested, therefore shouldn't take it to heart, none the less it's a linear scaled voltage frequency set by the manufacture out of the assembly line. now i am not going to question him, because that makes sense. it still doesn't change my argument that you ARE under volting when you set offset to negative that's negative from the original SVID value, and have a lower VID that's lower than intel's factory setting, given that it's not tested by intel above the stock frequency. i am simply stating that having the VID as the baseline is a good guideline. and i discourage undervolting. now you're just butt hurt that no one is following you and praising you. god knows you're desperate for approval.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky 23 View Post

Wrong !!! I have been helping people in this thread OC since close to page 10 and have been doing so consistently for almost 2 years. So for you to come in with your 30+ post, stating that I'm wrong or giving off the impression that i don't know what I'm doing is completely ridiculous. I could care less about your Noob opinion. As I said before basing your voltage on what VID is displayed is completely lazy!!!

I also have not had 1 error since i overclocked this CPU 2 years ago

your words not mine. you assume every new member who comes to this website with low post counts are noobs. because that's just your perception, that everyone who's never posted are noobs. a naive one that is. it never occured to you that people have been around the game longer than you have, and have been hanging out on other forums god knows way before you were born.

now if it still isn't clear enough for your thick skull. under volting, over volting is all up to each individual's preference. when you overclock, you ARE overvolting, this is not opinion, this is FACT. when you over volt, you boost the signal strength through the transistors, but you're also introducing additional heat that can interfere with the electrical signal. this is not opinion, this is scientific FACT. therefore it's a catch 22, you can either give it more voltage to boost the signal, if you can keep it cool, or lower the voltage to calm the heat, but also reducing signal strength. it's not an exact science, but it's not rocket science. there's no guarantee that if you follow anyone's direction to the letter that you'll have the exact same result, hence A GUIDE. now if you can't live with that you shouldn't post. you like to run your voltage low and live right on the edge fine, good for you. but don't be butt hurt when others share their opinion that it's good to have a slight thermal headroom on top to ensure full stability. you like negative offset, great, deal with the possibility of instability. if it's stable for you great, it might not be for others with different hardware and components. hence different opinions. but don't come after others who share their opinion that differ from yours.
Edited by howzz1854 - 1/1/14 at 1:38pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Complete Overclocking Guide: Sandy Bridge & Ivy Bridge | *ASRock Edition*