Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › How can I clean corroson from a video card?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How can I clean corroson from a video card? - Page 3

post #21 of 28
Thread Starter 
Eeekk I read it was fine for leaving it for a couple of days to thoroughly get rid of the gunk it was mostly water with a small amount of vinegar but from what I can tell there are no more leaks and I thoroughly flushed everything out. I do plan on opening my block and scrubbing it down with isopropyl and clean it since my motherboard is fried lol.

Well my video card is still under warranty for another 2 years so I will try to RMA it and see what happens I might also be able to RMA my mobo because I had a similar issue before and my mobo was out of warranty and they still told me to send it in and they gave me a new one. Can't hurt to try right?
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 28
I'm adding this thread to my list of reasons not to get water cooling.
Too much of a hassle in my opinion.
Dead Ryzen
(12 items)
 
Penguin Box
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X  MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (2 x 16G... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB Crucial MX300 2TB Noctua NH-U12S  BenQ XL2730Z - 27” 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Keyboard 4 Professional Soft Tactile (MX Br... Seasonic X-850(SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) Fractal Design Define Mini C BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K @4.6 GHz P8Z68-V AMD Radeon RX 480 (ref. design) Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 17000) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB Noctua NH-U12 S Arch Linux Seasonic SS-520FL 520W 
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 
  hide details  
Reply
Dead Ryzen
(12 items)
 
Penguin Box
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN 7 1800X  MSI B350M MORTAR ARCTIC AMD Radeon Vega Frontier Edition G.SKILL TridentZ Series 32GB DDR4 3200 (2 x 16G... 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
SAMSUNG SSD 950 PRO 512GB Crucial MX300 2TB Noctua NH-U12S  BenQ XL2730Z - 27” 2560x1440 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Keyboard 4 Professional Soft Tactile (MX Br... Seasonic X-850(SS-850KM3 Active PFC F3) Fractal Design Define Mini C BenQ ZOWIE EC1-A 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-2600K @4.6 GHz P8Z68-V AMD Radeon RX 480 (ref. design) Mushkin Enhanced Stealth 8GB (2 x 4GB) (PC3 17000) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
SanDisk Extreme PRO 480GB Noctua NH-U12 S Arch Linux Seasonic SS-520FL 520W 
Case
Corsair Vengeance Series C70 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin View Post

I'm adding this thread to my list of reasons not to get water cooling.
Too much of a hassle in my opinion.

This was user error if I didn't add any dye to my loop I wouldn't have needed to clean out my loop in the first place and I would not have had any issues and I would be on my rig right now instead of my laptop. It's very easy to maintain you only need to maintain dust just like any other PC but just use distilled water with a little biocide and you don't have to touch it again.

Thanks again for all of your help and information I really appreciate it and will keep these things in mind for sure lol. +rep to all. Hopefully they will RMA my parts and maybe if I get a new video card they will give me a code for Batman Arkham City download biggrin.gif one can hope but highly unlikely to happen lol.
Edited by doat - 1/11/12 at 8:35pm
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by doat View Post

Eeekk I read it was fine for leaving it for a couple of days to thoroughly get rid of the gunk it was mostly water with a small amount of vinegar but from what I can tell there are no more leaks and I thoroughly flushed everything out. I do plan on opening my block and scrubbing it down with isopropyl and clean it since my motherboard is fried lol.
Well my video card is still under warranty for another 2 years so I will try to RMA it and see what happens I might also be able to RMA my mobo because I had a similar issue before and my mobo was out of warranty and they still told me to send it in and they gave me a new one. Can't hurt to try right?

I KNEW IT!!!!

What a ph34r-smiley.gif
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 28
I wonder if the RMA covers that kind of damage.It's not something on the card that caused the damage itself. I don't think I'll ever watercool my rig just from reading issues about leaks and parts frying.
post #26 of 28
Thread Starter 
I don't want to hear that crap I bet most of you try to RMA your damaged parts as well lol. Also it's BS how when you buy a PC part now days it's obsolete the next year. Also it's up to them if they don't want to RMA it then that is fine by me I will still gladly buy their product.

If you are scared about watercooling then just know this, 99% of the times you hear about leaks and frying and such are user error, just like my situation as well that was my fault for leaving the vinegar mix in for too long.
Edited by doat - 1/11/12 at 8:57pm
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by doat View Post

I don't want to hear that crap I bet most of you try to RMA your damaged parts as well lol. Also it's BS how when you buy a PC part now days it's obsolete the next year. Also it's up to them if they don't want to RMA it then that is fine by me I will still gladly buy their product.
If you are scared about watercooling then just know this, 99% of the times you hear about leaks and frying and such are user error, just like my situation as well that was my fault for leaving the vinegar mix in for too long.

Dude no way was I trying to be a jackass. I'm sorry frown.gif I was just wondering why you were trying to scrub a toasted card clean lachen.gif, I was figurin' it was for an RMA. I don't care what you do with the stuff you buy! You earned the money for it. We can say that the pump was hooked up the GPU's fan port causing a complete obscene pumping action in your loop causing the hose clamps to loosen ever so slowly until it leaked everywhere and fiya happened....




Nah, as far as they're concerned the GPU "wouldn't display video on any of the computers you tried"

tongue.gif

Oh hell yeah, for a while I'd ask for externals that have been dropped and became non functional. Said the drives started clicking randomly, would get a replacement and and sell them on fleabay.

Serious question time, isn't destroying hardware part of the pursuit of performance? I mean c'mon you think Nascar drivers haven't wrecked in a single car?
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
Edit System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
830x4 ASUS blah blah blah PRO/USB3 FiveEightFiveZer0 2x4 AMD entertainment edition memory lolwut 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda >:] WD Scorpio >:] idk lol 212 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
xx64en_client_en-us_Retail_Ultimate-_EN_DVD LED 23'' 1080P 5MS no dead pixels :D Goodwill 500w PCP+C 80+<3 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Antec 300 Was a G500 :*( Steel Series 
  hide details  
Reply
post #28 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsunx View Post

Dude no way was I trying to be a jackass. I'm sorry frown.gif I was just wondering why you were trying to scrub a toasted card clean lachen.gif, I was figurin' it was for an RMA. I don't care what you do with the stuff you buy! You earned the money for it. We can say that the pump was hooked up the GPU's fan port causing a complete obscene pumping action in your loop causing the hose clamps to loosen ever so slowly until it leaked everywhere and fiya happened....
Nah, as far as they're concerned the GPU "wouldn't display video on any of the computers you tried"
tongue.gif
Oh hell yeah, for a while I'd ask for externals that have been dropped and became non functional. Said the drives started clicking randomly, would get a replacement and and sell them on fleabay.
Serious question time, isn't destroying hardware part of the pursuit of performance? I mean c'mon you think Nascar drivers haven't wrecked in a single car?

lol I wasn't upset or anything I was just saying. I wasn't trying t push my rig at all lol I woke up and I smelled electrical burning and found that. I could push that video card pretty damn high though I clocked it to 900mhz and it ran amazingly cool.
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Lateralus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 930 4.4 Thanks Freak :) Gigabyte X58-USB3 MSI GTX 465 Twin Frozr 1gb Corsair Dominator 6gb 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 500GB, WD green 1TB X2, Samsung F3 1TB Asus cd/dvd windows 7 ultimate 64bit HP W2207H 22" 
KeyboardPowerMouse
Illuminescent slim 850W Corsair 850TX Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › How can I clean corroson from a video card?