Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Crucial] m4 0309 Firmware is out!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Crucial] m4 0309 Firmware is out! - Page 7

post #61 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post

Does anyone with my board have issues with updating?
My board can never seem to see my SSD. It couldn't find it for the 009 update and it can't find it for this update either.
I've tried plugging it into the 3rd SATA slot (1-2 is 6gb), but that didn't help.
Does it matter if I use a 6gb SATA cable instead of a standard one?

Plug it into he while or light blue ports, not the dark blue.
post #62 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post

Does anyone with my board have issues with updating?
My board can never seem to see my SSD. It couldn't find it for the 009 update and it can't find it for this update either.
I've tried plugging it into the 3rd SATA slot (1-2 is 6gb), but that didn't help.
Does it matter if I use a 6gb SATA cable instead of a standard one?

It also sounds to me like the drive just wants to be manually initialized. Do this and tell me if it does the trick:

Right click on "computer"

go to "manage"

then on the left hand side under "Storage" go to "disk management"

then most likely youre un-initialzed drive will be listed outlined in red i think, then right click, and initialize.

If I missed a step there, someone chime in please.

Let us know if that works
post #63 of 118
edit; double post
post #64 of 118
Hey thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately neither of your suggestions worked.
I've tried both the intel 6gb sata ports (white) and the standard intel 3gb ports (light blue) but neither are able to find the drive.
Strange because BIOS sees the drive perfectly.
Also, I went into disk management to check and my drive is already initialized.

I've also tried enabling hot plugging on each port I've tried but that didn't work either, and AHCI mode or IDE mode don't make a difference.
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post

Hey thanks for the help guys. Unfortunately neither of your suggestions worked.
I've tried both the intel 6gb sata ports (white) and the standard intel 3gb ports (light blue) but neither are able to find the drive.
Strange because BIOS sees the drive perfectly.
Also, I went into disk management to check and my drive is already initialized.
I've also tried enabling hot plugging on each port I've tried but that didn't work either, and AHCI mode or IDE mode don't make a difference.

If this has been posted already then sorry, b ut..

Have you inserted your mobo disk and installed all the sata drivers and such? I have the same board as you. Do you have any of the controllers enabled/disabled in the bios? I have the marvell and jmicron controllers disabled in the bios for quick startup. I believe its in the advanced section of your bios. When I first installed this mobo and put the ssd in, it wouldn't identify until I installed the mobo drivers.

Also, if this is a new install, are you completely up to date on updates? OH....FORGOT THIS.

This one was big. When you reinstall windows I clicked "format" on the install screen instead of just clicking the drive and installing windows over itself, which has always worked for me. DO NOT click format because windows will automatically create a 100mb system reserved partition, and your computer wont know which to boot from and where windows is. If you have this, clear the drive with killdisk, just reinstall windows and do not click format at the install menu, just install it over itself. That stupid partition is what gave me that problem.
Edited by guitarmageddon88 - 1/15/12 at 10:16am
post #66 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite View Post

the Firmware works fine, wether it stopped the 5000 hour reboot remains to be seen i will find out in the next week or 2

Stopped 'em for me thumb.gif
Ol' Sandy
(28 items)
 
"Zeus"
(12 items)
 
Elite Preview
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK MSI Gaming GTX 980 Kingston 32GB (4x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB Samsung EVO 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-TC14PE with TY-140's Lamptron FCv5 (x2) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell U2412M Dell U2212HM Dell U2713HM Topre Realforce 87UB | Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX-750 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper XXL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm Schiit Bifrost DAC Schiit Asgard 2 HiVi Swan M50W 2.1 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 Super Micro X9SRL-F-B 128GB 1333MHz LSI 9271-8i 
OSPowerCase
VMware ESXi 5.5 SeaSonic SS-400FL2 Fractal Define R3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3437U HP EliteBook Folio 9470m  Intel HD Graphics 4000  16GB DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOS
256GB SSD Windows 10 Insider Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
Ol' Sandy
(28 items)
 
"Zeus"
(12 items)
 
Elite Preview
(6 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD5H-BK MSI Gaming GTX 980 Kingston 32GB (4x8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor PX-256M5S 256GB Samsung EVO 1TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA332 Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Hitachi HDS723020BLA642 Hitachi HUA722010CLA330 WDC WD10EARS-00Z5B1 TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223B 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Phanteks PH-TC14PE with TY-140's Lamptron FCv5 (x2) Windows 8 Pro 64-bit Dell U2412M 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Dell U2412M Dell U2212HM Dell U2713HM Topre Realforce 87UB | Ducky DK9087 G2 Pro 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX-750 Corsair Obsidian 650D Logitech G700 XTRAC Ripper XXL 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250ohm Schiit Bifrost DAC Schiit Asgard 2 HiVi Swan M50W 2.1 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Intel Xeon E5-2620 Super Micro X9SRL-F-B 128GB 1333MHz LSI 9271-8i 
OSPowerCase
VMware ESXi 5.5 SeaSonic SS-400FL2 Fractal Define R3 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-3437U HP EliteBook Folio 9470m  Intel HD Graphics 4000  16GB DDR3 SDRAM 
Hard DriveOS
256GB SSD Windows 10 Insider Preview 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 118
Worked great, used a usb flash drive, took 1 minute. Thanks crucial. With fast customer service like this, I will look into getting another M4 for my laptop.


622

Probably just random, but my SSD Benchmark score went up 30 points.

501
Edited by stevman17 - 1/15/12 at 11:35am
Word Processor
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz 1.43v asrock z77 pro4-m Zotac GTX 780 2 x SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 @ ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128 Samsund 840 Series Seagate ST300DM001-1CH166 Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus NZXT Sentry Mix Windows 7 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
SAMSUNG ToC Rose Black 27"  ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSB Rosewill Cherry MX Brown SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define XL Titanium Grey Anker High Precision Laser Gaming Mouse  XTRAC Pads Ripper XXL Audio-Technica ATH-M50 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
FiiO E10 Pioneer VSX-1021-K Energy Take 5 Classic BIC America F-12 
Audio
Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed 
  hide details  
Reply
Word Processor
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k @ 4.5 Ghz 1.43v asrock z77 pro4-m Zotac GTX 780 2 x SAMSUNG 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 @ ... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 128 Samsund 840 Series Seagate ST300DM001-1CH166 Seagate ST4000DM000-1F2168 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
HITACHI Deskstar 5K3000  Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus NZXT Sentry Mix Windows 7 64 bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
SAMSUNG ToC Rose Black 27"  ACHIEVA Shimian QH270-IPSB Rosewill Cherry MX Brown SeaSonic X750 Gold 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define XL Titanium Grey Anker High Precision Laser Gaming Mouse  XTRAC Pads Ripper XXL Audio-Technica ATH-M50 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
FiiO E10 Pioneer VSX-1021-K Energy Take 5 Classic BIC America F-12 
Audio
Pioneer SP-FS52-LR Andrew Jones Designed 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post

If this has been posted already then sorry, b ut..
Have you inserted your mobo disk and installed all the sata drivers and such? I have the same board as you. Do you have any of the controllers enabled/disabled in the bios? I have the marvell and jmicron controllers disabled in the bios for quick startup. I believe its in the advanced section of your bios. When I first installed this mobo and put the ssd in, it wouldn't identify until I installed the mobo drivers.
Also, if this is a new install, are you completely up to date on updates? OH....FORGOT THIS.
This one was big. When you reinstall windows I clicked "format" on the install screen instead of just clicking the drive and installing windows over itself, which has always worked for me. DO NOT click format because windows will automatically create a 100mb system reserved partition, and your computer wont know which to boot from and where windows is. If you have this, clear the drive with killdisk, just reinstall windows and do not click format at the install menu, just install it over itself. That stupid partition is what gave me that problem.

Hmm. I've got all my SATA drivers installed, but I have both jmicron and marvell controllers still enabled because I use marvell for my DVD drive.
I've heard some sketchy stuff about the marvell controllers but my DVD drive has been working okay with it. Maybe I'll try running the update through a USB flash drive.

I'm also up to date with everything and I used Sean's SSD guide for setting up the m4 so I manually partitioned it, so that 100mb reserved partition shouldn't be an issue.

Does your m4 update successfully through the 6gb port?

EDIT - THAT DID IT!
Thanks man! I moved my DVD drive over to an Intel slot and disabled marvell and jmicron and the drive showed up instantly. thumb.gif
+REP!
Edited by EmeraldICE - 1/15/12 at 11:20am
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldICE View Post

Hmm. I've got all my SATA drivers installed, but I have both jmicron and marvell controllers still enabled because I use marvell for my DVD drive.
I've heard some sketchy stuff about the marvell controllers but my DVD drive has been working okay with it. Maybe I'll try running the update through a USB flash drive.
I'm also up to date with everything and I used Sean's SSD guide for setting up the m4 so I manually partitioned it, so that 100mb reserved partition shouldn't be an issue.
Does your m4 update successfully through the 6gb port?
EDIT - THAT DID IT!
Thanks man! I moved my DVD drive over to an Intel slot and disabled marvell and jmicron and the drive showed up instantly. thumb.gif
+REP!

Fantastic, unless you need them, theyve always caused wierd little issues like that for me so I just disable them AND get to boot faster. You notice that difference too?
post #70 of 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post

Fantastic, unless you need them, theyve always caused wierd little issues like that for me so I just disable them AND get to boot faster. You notice that difference too?

That's the first thing I noticed. It boots almost instantly now instead of hanging on the POST screen for a couple seconds. thumb.gif
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
NEW BUILD!!!!
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsHard Drive
i7 2600k / 4.5ghz @ 1.32v Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 EVGA GTX 560 Ti Crucial m4 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black WD Black LG Bluray Reader Corsair H60 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7 Pro x64 Acer H233H G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseAudioOther
HAF X - Blue Edition G500 X-Fi Elite Pro nMediaPC LCD 
Other
Rosewill 74-in-1 card reader 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Crucial] m4 0309 Firmware is out!