Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › My 880GM-UD2H Died
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

My 880GM-UD2H Died

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 

Well as the title says...my long time trusty motherboard failed to boot...failed to even power on...

 

Going back to what I did before it died, here are the things I did to it...

 

Removed from case,

Removed the Scythe Shuriken

Installed Hyper 212+

Death...

 

So I think I botched the installation of my Hyper 212+ as I was going to give my niece my Shuriken as her new CPU cooler...

 

I did the old "hand tighten" screws and followed the installation down to the very end...

 

Now I'm looking for an AM3 motherboard with 4 DIMM slots that can handle my 8g 1600 ram...

 

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something under $80CND + tax.

Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramComplex View Post

Well as the title says...my long time trusty motherboard failed to boot...failed to even power on...

 

Going back to what I did before it died, here are the things I did to it...

 

Removed from case,

Removed the Scythe Shuriken

Installed Hyper 212+

Death...

 

So I think I botched the installation of my Hyper 212+ as I was going to give my niece my Shuriken as her new CPU cooler...

 

I did the old "hand tighten" screws and followed the installation down to the very end...

 

Now I'm looking for an AM3 motherboard with 4 DIMM slots that can handle my 8g 1600 ram...

 

Any suggestions? I'm looking for something under $80CND + tax.


Getting 4 slots with that budget is kinda hard. Increase your budget by 12$ and go in for this - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 

Thanks for the link, I'm wondering why AM3 motherboards (mid-range) are still expensive to this date.

 

IS it possible you can break your mobo with the hyper 212+?


Edited by CramComplex - 1/15/12 at 3:39pm
Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7

I smell a VRM failure.  Unplug the CPU power connector to see if it powers on.

 

The low end VRM design and low quality MOSFETs used on the 880GM-UD2H are known for issues (not for failure but it could happen) and should be avoided for overclocking higher TDP (i.e. 125W) processors, much less go without any cooling whatsoever (i.e. in the case of the Hyper 212+, all VRM cooling is removed as air flows over and not onto motherboard components vs. coolers like AMD stock cooler).  Read the "About VRMs & MOSFETs" link in my sig for more info - Gigabyte low end 3+1 phase boards (lower phase count but same lower quality MOSFET layout) and many low end MSI boards are more known for failures like this.  Avoid those boards.

 

Find something from a Canadian retailer such as ncix.ca for the best deal.  There's a local NCIX store in Scarborough so you can avoid shipping costs altogether.

post #5 of 7
If it was stock and died, I feel your pain. If it was overclocked and died then you knew it was coming smile.gif
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K ASUS Z170-E Zotac 1070 AMP Edition  Corsair LPX 2666 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 600P 500GB, OCZ Trion 150 250gb, 850 Evo ... H100i Windows 10 Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold 660 blue EVGA 750 B2 Thermaltake F31 Logitech G Pro 
Mouse PadAudio
Taito King Size Creative Omni 5.1 usb 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K ASUS Z170-E Zotac 1070 AMP Edition  Corsair LPX 2666 16GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Intel 600P 500GB, OCZ Trion 150 250gb, 850 Evo ... H100i Windows 10 Asus 144hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Leopold 660 blue EVGA 750 B2 Thermaltake F31 Logitech G Pro 
Mouse PadAudio
Taito King Size Creative Omni 5.1 usb 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

I smell a VRM failure.  Unplug the CPU power connector to see if it powers on.

 

The low end VRM design and low quality MOSFETs used on the 880GM-UD2H are known for issues (not for failure but it could happen) and should be avoided for overclocking higher TDP (i.e. 125W) processors, much less go without any cooling whatsoever (i.e. in the case of the Hyper 212+, all VRM cooling is removed as air flows over and not onto motherboard components vs. coolers like AMD stock cooler).  Read the "About VRMs & MOSFETs" link in my sig for more info - Gigabyte low end 3+1 phase boards (lower phase count but same lower quality MOSFET layout) and many low end MSI boards are more known for failures like this.  Avoid those boards.

 

Find something from a Canadian retailer such as ncix.ca for the best deal.  There's a local NCIX store in Scarborough so you can avoid shipping costs altogether.


I'm just using an Athlon II w/c I remember is 90w TDP and I already covered all the FETs with alu heat-sinks with my home-made batch of AC MX-3 and Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy. Plus there's a small fan directly blowing air on the heat-sinks (when I was using my Mugen2 Rev.B but took it off when I used my Scythe Shuriken.) I checked the area around the FETs and didn't see anything burned nor were the heat-sinks dislocated, just your usual dust build-up.

 

The bad thing about living in Ontario is that you have to pay %13 HST and a small percent for that EcoRecycling law they passed w/c really isn't working.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammkv View Post

If it was stock and died, I feel your pain. If it was overclocked and died then you knew it was coming smile.gif


This is overclock.net...who uses stock? LOL

 

Well after looking for answers and looking for comfort...I decided to go back to identifying the problem...removed everything...reset CMOS, took it to my test bench and still nothing.

 

I was about to throw the towel in and give up and buy a 990FX motherboard...but then...I noticed something...something wasn't right...something looked funny...

 

I had my FP power switch located on PW [+ - [_]] naturally I switched the positions and still didn't work...I looked at the FP headers and there amidst the chaos...there was a PW SW [+ - [_]]

 

doh.gif

 

I can write a lot of excuses but in the end...my eyes failed me...I was plugging my FP Power SW on the wrong header. And lo and behold...the fan started to spin on my CPU cooler.

 

So yeah this was an epic fail on my part. Right now it's sitting on 3.5Ghz and running smoothly like it was supposed to be. This event is really embarrassing...lesson learned.

 

whistle.gif

Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
Intel System 2011
(18 items)
 
AMD System 2009
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II X4 630 Propus @ 3.5Ghz Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H Rev.1 ASUS EAH5450 SILENT/DI/512MD2(LP) 4x2GB G.Skill NQ DDR3 PC 1600 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Momentus XT LG GSA-H30N Scythe Samurai ZZ Rev.B Win7 x64 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG CS 460 - 32" LCD TV Microsoft Reclusa Gaming Keyboard Thermaltake TR2 750w Fractal Design Core 1000 
Mouse
Microsoft Comfort Mouse 6000 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CramComplex View Post


I'm just using an Athlon II w/c I remember is 90w TDP and I already covered all the FETs with alu heat-sinks with my home-made batch of AC MX-3 and Arctic Silver Thermal Epoxy. Plus there's a small fan directly blowing air on the heat-sinks (when I was using my Mugen2 Rev.B but took it off when I used my Scythe Shuriken.) I checked the area around the FETs and didn't see anything burned nor were the heat-sinks dislocated, just your usual dust build-up.

 

The bad thing about living in Ontario is that you have to pay %13 HST and a small percent for that EcoRecycling law they passed w/c really isn't working.

 


This is overclock.net...who uses stock? LOL

 

Well after looking for answers and looking for comfort...I decided to go back to identifying the problem...removed everything...reset CMOS, took it to my test bench and still nothing.

 

I was about to throw the towel in and give up and buy a 990FX motherboard...but then...I noticed something...something wasn't right...something looked funny...

 

I had my FP power switch located on PW [+ - [_]] naturally I switched the positions and still didn't work...I looked at the FP headers and there amidst the chaos...there was a PW SW [+ - [_]]

 

doh.gif

 

I can write a lot of excuses but in the end...my eyes failed me...I was plugging my FP Power SW on the wrong header. And lo and behold...the fan started to spin on my CPU cooler.

 

So yeah this was an epic fail on my part. Right now it's sitting on 3.5Ghz and running smoothly like it was supposed to be. This event is really embarrassing...lesson learned.

 

whistle.gif


I'd seriously appreciate if you posted that little incident in this thread of mine mate biggrin.gif - http://www.overclock.net/t/1184576/whats-the-easiest-problem-you-were-too-stupid-to-solve
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
Kukumonster
(13 items)
 
A pleasant surprise :)
Cooler Master USP 100 Black Edition
Value redefined.
Amd Athlon II X3 435
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2320 Intel DH67BL Sapphire R9 285 Corsair 8GB (4x2)  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury 240GB  WD Blue 1TB Seagate Barracuda 500GB Noctua NH-C14S 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-A140*2 Windows 10 Pro (TP) LG 22" 1080p  Seasonic G-550 F3 550W 
Case
Cooler Master USP100 Black Edition 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD Motherboards › My 880GM-UD2H Died