Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › CPU throttle when overclocking?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

CPU throttle when overclocking?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 
I got the following system

p4 550
asus p5p800
ati 800xt pe
ocz gamer extreme 600w psu
2x512 ddr ultra pc3200 (3-4-4-8) (seems to run fine at 1:1 ratio, pass super-pi with no problem)

everything else in the bios is set to default.

I overclocked the fsb to 235 and when I run Prime95, my cpu would throttle even thought the cpu temp is under 62c. The cpu idle at 42c. I'm using the program called throttlewatch to monitor.

If I lower my fsb, it would throttle but alot less. And when it does throttle, i monitor cpu-Z and I do not notice my fsb drop or my overall speed drop.. Isn't it suppose to?

Anyone know why it would throttle so soon?
post #2 of 21
They're known already to throttle at ~62c, so that's not unnormal. It's unnormal that your FSB decreases though.
#well
(18 items)
 
Lenovo L530
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Sapphire RX 580 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO Generic DVD±RW Burner Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Samsung SyncMaster 2233 Ducky DK9008 Overclock.net Edition, Cherry MX B... Corsair TX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Core 2500 Logitech G303 QPAD HeatoN L M-Audio Fast Track USB 
AudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohm AntLion ModMic v3 
CPUGraphicsRAMRAM
Intel Ivy Bridge 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics Soldered Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVD-+RW Windows 7 Professional 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
#well
(18 items)
 
Lenovo L530
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 4770k Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H Sapphire RX 580 Corsair CMX8GX3M2A2000C9 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO Generic DVD±RW Burner Noctua NH-D14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Dell U2711 Samsung SyncMaster 2233 Ducky DK9008 Overclock.net Edition, Cherry MX B... Corsair TX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Design Core 2500 Logitech G303 QPAD HeatoN L M-Audio Fast Track USB 
AudioAudio
Beyerdynamic DT-770 80 Ohm AntLion ModMic v3 
CPUGraphicsRAMRAM
Intel Ivy Bridge 3210M Intel HD 4000 Graphics Soldered Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
500GB DVD-+RW Windows 7 Professional 1600x900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonX
They're known already to throttle at ~62c, so that's not unnormal. It's unnormal that your FSB decreases though.
Hmm then should I disable cpu throttle in my bios? If my cpu is throttling doesn't it make it run at a lower FSB? to cool it down? or am I mistaken.
post #4 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzricezz
Hmm then should I disable cpu throttle in my bios? If my cpu is throttling doesn't it make it run at a lower FSB? to cool it down? or am I mistaken.
No do not disable it. At 60c The CPU will throttle in an attempt to cool itself down. Thus it will lower the multi and lower the FSB to do so. However i would get better cooling as disabling Thermal Throtteling will put your CPU in harms way.
post #5 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTERPRISE1701
No do not disable it. At 60c The CPU will throttle in an attempt to cool itself down. Thus it will lower the multi and lower the FSB to do so. However i would get better cooling as disabling Thermal Throtteling will put your CPU in harms way.
I really don't understand how this cpu work. I was told that prescott can go to 72c before it start to throttle.. my temp is no where near that and it is already throttling. Am I suppose to see the lower FSB on my CPU-Z screen? Like how do I really tell if my CPU is really throttling and the program throttlewatch is not reporting correctly?

When I lower my FSB to like 225, the throttling would be alot less but my temp is still around the 60c at full load.
post #6 of 21
It could just be that the program used to monitor CPU temp is inaccurate. From what I have read, the temp monitor inside the bios is the more accurate one and usually reads about 2-3 degrees more than the software ones in the O/S. I believe most Prescotts will throttle at 65 degrees. That was the case for me with the Asus Probe software. I would probably say getting a new cooler with some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste should be your first option.

Also, if you can tell us your system spec, I believe people around here can give you more insights about your situation.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 oem @ 2.8Ghz Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 3.3 Evga Geforce 7600GT 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 Valueram 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Maxtor 300GB, WD 500GB WinXP Pro Thermaltake PurePow 500W Antec P150 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E6300 oem @ 2.8Ghz Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 3.3 Evga Geforce 7600GT 2GB Kingston DDR2 667 Valueram 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Maxtor 300GB, WD 500GB WinXP Pro Thermaltake PurePow 500W Antec P150 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 21
Are you sure its not speedstep cutting it back when idle?
Busa's Opti
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel E6700 P5W DH Deluxe Wifi BFG 7800gtx 2g pc6400 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD 74G raptors in raid0 NEC 3520 winXP sp2 Dell 24" widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z board w/bf2 keyset Zeus 650sli+450 dual booting UFO Opti1203 blk/UV blue logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Xtrack "ripper" 
  hide details  
Reply
Busa's Opti
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel E6700 P5W DH Deluxe Wifi BFG 7800gtx 2g pc6400 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x WD 74G raptors in raid0 NEC 3520 winXP sp2 Dell 24" widescreen LCD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Z board w/bf2 keyset Zeus 650sli+450 dual booting UFO Opti1203 blk/UV blue logitech G7 
Mouse Pad
Xtrack "ripper" 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gohandbz88
It could just be that the program used to monitor CPU temp is inaccurate. From what I have read, the temp monitor inside the bios is the more accurate one and usually reads about 2-3 degrees more than the software ones in the O/S. I believe most Prescotts will throttle at 65 degrees. That was the case for me with the Asus Probe software. I would probably say getting a new cooler with some Artic Silver 5 Thermal Paste should be your first option.

Also, if you can tell us your system spec, I believe people around here can give you more insights about your situation.
I'm going to try the coretemp program I found on this site, when i get home tonight to see if I can find the core temp.

I read good reviews on the zalman 7700cu so I don't think that is the problem. I might go and get the AS5 and give that a try. I'm using the OCZ thermal paste currently.
post #9 of 21
No Throtteling from what i know will kick in at 60-65c. However i could be wrong.
post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by busa
Are you sure its not speedstep cutting it back when idle?
Hmm.. I never heard of that before. How would I know if that is happening or not? cause normal load it still at 48c but using prime95 it will go to the 58c and peak at 62c
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › CPU throttle when overclocking?