Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › PLEASE HELP! What happened to my display?!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PLEASE HELP! What happened to my display?! - Page 2

post #11 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post

So I tried just doing the reg cleaner without deleting all those folders and that didn't work. Back to safe mode I guess...
EDIT: I would just like to add that I'm hesitant to do the file deletions simply because there's a lot of files and folders that look important and also unrelated to the display drivers.


Boot into Safe Mode > Device Manager > Displays adapters > select uninstall > Restart PC to normal mode.

 

Got to Programs and features > Catalyst > Express uninstall.

 

Avoid using Driver Sweeper.

 

Try Official WHQL Catalyst 11.12  http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

 

 

If that doesn't help;

 

  • Uninstall all tweaking applications such as Afterburner, Trixx etc if you have it in the system. Select "no" to keep settings.

 

  • Uninstall Catalyst package and CAP. Select "Express Uninstall".

 

  • Delete these folder;
  • C:\user\Program files or (x86)\ ATI or AMD.
  • C:\user\ProgramData\ATI or AMD (need to show hidden files).

 

  • Turn off UAC.
    Go to Control Panel > User Accounts > change User Account Control Settings > move the slider to bottom > restart PC.

 

  • Clean it with; Atiman Uninstaller v.6.2.0 (Run with administrator privilege. Some antivirus software will give a false positive. Let it restarts to complete the uninstallation - Disable UAC to install this cleaner).

 

 


Edited by Ken1649 - 1/18/12 at 2:54pm
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
ケンジ
(16 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7-3960X i7-980X GA-X79-UD7 / GA-X58A-UD9 7970 + 465 
GraphicsRAMRAMHard Drive
2x 6990 + 580 16GB 2133 MHz 24GB 2000 MHz 120GB x 2 RAID0 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
120GB x 4 RAID0 Raptor 300GB x 2 RAID0 CPU-370 CPU-370 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
VID-AR699 EK FB X58A-UD9 Win 7 Ultimate x64 1500W / 1250W+1200W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post



Boot into Safe Mode > Device Manager > Displays adapters > select uninstall > Restart PC to normal mode.

Got to Programs and features > Catalyst > Express uninstall.

Avoid using Driver Sweeper.

Try Official WHQL Catalyst 11.12  http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

the first part would work fine...but you cant uninstall in safe mode

i too normally agree with avoiding driver sweeper...but having delt with the same issue the OP is dealing with and solved it by what i typed in my original post...i can deal with using it once or twice

but do use the newest driver OP
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 35
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreekyGTi View Post

but do use the newest driver OP

The newest driver (11.12) was the one that was causing all the games to crash, or at least that was the one I was using when games started crashing. I was trying to go back to 11.11 to see if that helped.
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post

The newest driver (11.12) was the one that was causing all the games to crash, or at least that was the one I was using when games started crashing. I was trying to go back to 11.11 to see if that helped.

ah then yes go back to 11.11 and use that one
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 35
Thread Starter 
Broke down and used a driver sweeper...there were all these permissions issues that wouldn't let me delete certain files otherwise.

Anyway, good news first. The driver sweeper worked, and my computer was usable after I rebooted.

Bad news, after installing the 11.11 drivers, the screen went back into [insert depressing phrase here] mode. Any suggestions?

Also of note, I have flashed my card to 6970 BIOS, and it's somewhat overclocked. The confusing thing is, if it's bricked or unstable, I'd be seeing different issues, right? This doesn't seem related to either of those...
Edited by auroraborealis - 1/18/12 at 3:35pm
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post

Broke down and used a driver sweeper...there were all these permissions issues that wouldn't let me delete certain files otherwise.
Anyway, good news first. The driver sweeper worked, and my computer was usable after I rebooted.
Bad news, after installing the 11.11 drivers, the screen went back into [insert depressing phrase here] mode. Any suggestions?

well the bad news is you are going to have to repeat the process to get it back to a working display

is this a new gpu or did you just decide to change the drivers on it? if its a new gpu did you fully uninstall all the previous drivers from the old card?

something to try would be an old driver set for AMD maybe something like 11.6's and see if they work...if they dont and it tosses you back to the messed up image on the display i would see if there are some other underlying issues inside Windows that could be causing the drivers to become corrupt and or non-responsive

EDIT: honestly i think there are still pieces of the old problematic drivers still on the computer....i know i had to get every little piece of the old drivers off my computer before i got a fully working display

Quote:
Also of note, I have flashed my card to 6970 BIOS, and it's somewhat overclocked. The confusing thing is, if it's bricked or unstable, I'd be seeing different issues, right? This doesn't seem related to either of those...

well yeah the card is more than likely fine....the OC may have been the cause of the amd drivers having issues to start with
Edited by FreekyGTi - 1/18/12 at 3:40pm
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 35
Thread Starter 
I just decided to change the drivers because I was experiencing crashing during games. I recently flashed the BIOS to the 6970, and it's overclocked using Afterburner. The thing is, I can't remember whether the crashing dates back to the new drivers or the BIOS flash...

I've had the card since mid October and everything worked fine before whatever caused the crashing. I guess my real question now is, what might be causing the problem now?
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post

I just decided to change the drivers because I was experiencing crashing during games. I recently flashed the BIOS to the 6970, and it's overclocked using Afterburner. The thing is, I can't remember whether the crashing dates back to the new drivers or the BIOS flash...

I've had the card since mid October and everything worked fine before whatever caused the crashing. I guess my real question now is, what might be causing the problem now?

well more than likely whats causing this messed up display issue now is a driver issue...but could be a combination of driver/OC

when you flashed your card did you move the bios switch off the default placement and flash the 6970 bios to that or did you just leave the switch as it was and flashed it? if you moved the switch the stock bios should be on the first setting of the switch...so move it back and see what happens

what you may have to do is reflash the card back to stock and see if thats causing the crashing issues....basicly put everything back to the way it was in October and the start over again...cause really right now there could be a few issues at play


EDIT: just wanted to tell ya...when i had this issue it was right after putting the brand new card in and updating drivers...for some reason when i uninstalled the old AMD drivers that i was using with my old card the first time they never uninstalled correctly so when i installed new drivers over that they caused the issue you are seeing...since that time i havent had a single issue with any crashes or anything and my R6950 is unlocked and OC'ed as well
Edited by FreekyGTi - 1/18/12 at 3:50pm
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 35
Thread Starter 
Okay, I'll try that next. First, though, here's an interesting update: I installed the 11.9 drivers, and on the Finished screen, it says "warnings occurred during installation." Below is the log. The bottom of the first section where it says "Other hardware" is a hyperlink that jumps down to the Other Detected Devices section, and I'm thinking that's the warning. Is it detecting two graphics cards or something?
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
01/18/12 18:48:50


Hardware information
Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0x6719
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x2461
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1462
Other hardware

Existing packagesMicrosoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.842.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2.5.732.1
Size: 90 Mbytes
AMD Display DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.892.0.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes
HDMI/DP Audio DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 7.12.0.7702
Size: 1 Mbytes
AMD Drag and Drop TranscodingFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2.00.0000
Size: 1 Mbytes
AMD Media Foundation DecodersFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 1.0.60914.1136
Size: 1 Mbytes
Catalyst Control CenterFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2011.0908.1355.23115
Size: 150 Mbytes


Other detected devices

Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0xaa80
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa80
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1462


Error messages
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
Fire and Ice
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 7700k ASUS ROG Strix Z270E MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti GAMING X Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Western Digital Caviar Black Hitachi DeskStar Samsung 850 Evo Seagate Barracuda 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
Cryorig H7 Asus VS247H-P 23.6" 2ms Razer Overwatch BlackWidow Chroma Seasonic Prime Titanium 750 
CaseMouseAudioAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Pro 5 Logitech G500 ASUS Xonar DGX Sennheiser HD280 Pro 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by auroraborealis View Post

Okay, I'll try that next. First, though, here's an interesting update: I installed the 11.9 drivers, and on the Finished screen, it says "warnings occurred during installation." Below is the log. The bottom of the first section where it says "Other hardware" is a hyperlink that jumps down to the Other Detected Devices section, and I'm thinking that's the warning. Is it detecting two graphics cards or something? Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Catalyst™ Install Manager
Installation Report
01/18/12 18:48:50
Hardware information
Name AMD Radeon Graphics Processor
Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0x6719
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x030000
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0x2461
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1462
Other hardware

Existing packagesMicrosoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable

Packages for install
AMD Catalyst Install ManagerFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 3.0.842.0
Size: 20 Mbytes
AMD APP SDK RuntimeFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2.5.732.1
Size: 90 Mbytes
AMD Display DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 8.892.0.0000
Size: 90 Mbytes
HDMI/DP Audio DriverFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 7.12.0.7702
Size: 1 Mbytes
AMD Drag and Drop TranscodingFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2.00.0000
Size: 1 Mbytes
AMD Media Foundation DecodersFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 1.0.60914.1136
Size: 1 Mbytes
Catalyst Control CenterFinal Status: Success
Version of Item: 2011.0908.1355.23115
Size: 150 Mbytes

Other detected devices

Manufacturer Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
Device ID 0xaa80
Vendor ID 0x1002
Class Code 0x040300
Revision ID 0x00
Subsystem ID 0xaa80
Subsystem vendor ID 0x1462

Error messages


not sure on that...doesnt seem to be detecting any other devices...but i could be wrong

also do you install everything when installing the drivers or do you only install the gpu driver and CCC? cause i noticed with the new AMD drivers that if you select certain things to be installed it will give the "finished but with warnings" orange icon...but if i just do a full quick install it doesnt show that

either way...is it running on 11.9?


EDIT: after looking at it a 3rd and 4th time (the log) it seems the warning it through was for an existing "older" package of C++
Edited by FreekyGTi - 1/18/12 at 4:04pm
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
The Computer
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k 4.5ghz@1.3v Asus P8P67 MSI GTX980 Gaming 8GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung F3 1TB,Seagate 500gb 7200.10 Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Samsung EX2220 Logitech Illuminated 
PowerCaseMouse
SeaSonic X-650 Corsair 650D Razer Mamba 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Drivers and Overclocking Software › PLEASE HELP! What happened to my display?!