Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Glycol and destilled water?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Glycol and destilled water? - Page 4

post #31 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

@Rognin you the only one we have ever supplied glycol to under SP request wink.gif. The glycol you have wouldn't strip paint like the OPs Glycol there using.lol
By the way Rognin how is it going with that stuff.

Waiting on Mindchill for a special project we are working on (after about eleventy million e-mails... lol). I have a 20% mix in the loop right now with some of your deep blue and UV blue dyes. I have yet to use it in the cold side of the project as the order is still en-route through USPS.

I say beginning of February, I put the thing to work and can give you exact results.

The good news is I haven't seen a temp diffrence between pure DI water and a 20% mix. Flow rates are the same (better by 150ml/m when the water is warmed up actually), but that stuff is sticky... =P

Thanks for checking up! I'll be sure to let you know how things go!
Edited by Rognin - 1/21/12 at 9:53am
Synthetic Anatomy
(14 items)
 
NAT-inator
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2700K Z68X-UD7-B3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Corsair  2x Mushkin 240Gb SSD Raid 0  A lot. ST1500 
CaseAudio
FT02 Xonar ST 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K P8P67 WS Revolution Sparkle Calibre GTX 560 G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force SSD WD Caviar Black BD combo Liquid 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate AX650 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
Synthetic Anatomy
(14 items)
 
NAT-inator
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2700K Z68X-UD7-B3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Corsair  2x Mushkin 240Gb SSD Raid 0  A lot. ST1500 
CaseAudio
FT02 Xonar ST 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K P8P67 WS Revolution Sparkle Calibre GTX 560 G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force SSD WD Caviar Black BD combo Liquid 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate AX650 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 36
I have had my loop running for over 1 year now with no sludge, since Distilled water is getting hard to locate anymore (most places are only selling filtered water now) I filled my loop with Aquafina
and a couple drops of antibacterial dish soap.

I have been working on diesel trucks for 20 plus years and Ethylene glycol is added to water to lower its freeze point and raise the boiling point, you also run a cap which will cause a hot cooling system
to run a higher then atmospheric pressure also raising the boiling point

Ethylene glycol can gel, it is call silica drop out and happens when a system is subjected to low flow or the coolant gets old, Cumins had issues with this in a so called low flow cooling system

FYI gentleman and ladies (if here) old coolant can do some serious and expensive damage to your automobile have it tested or changed at least every two years if you have ELC less if not


I kept an Aquarium for years, if I kept it near a window algae growth was a major problem, move it away from the window and it was controllable, keep you PC out of direct sun light
Pa's Puter
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 i930@4.2ghz. Gigabyte EX58-UD4P EVGA GTX 970 FTW + GSkill DDR3-1600 12 gig 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo SSD  DVDROM EK supreme HF Cu gold plated/ XSPC 480 Windows 7 Pro. 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 27EA63 IPS monitor merc stealth Corsair TX850 Corsair 700D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
logitech G5 Rocketfish dual surface Creative Xfx extreme and Zalman 5.1 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Pa's Puter
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 i930@4.2ghz. Gigabyte EX58-UD4P EVGA GTX 970 FTW + GSkill DDR3-1600 12 gig 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung Evo SSD  DVDROM EK supreme HF Cu gold plated/ XSPC 480 Windows 7 Pro. 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 27EA63 IPS monitor merc stealth Corsair TX850 Corsair 700D 
MouseMouse PadAudio
logitech G5 Rocketfish dual surface Creative Xfx extreme and Zalman 5.1 headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickwilly View Post

I have had my loop running for over 1 year now with no sludge, since Distilled water is getting hard to locate anymore (most places are only selling filtered water now) I filled my loop with Aquafina
and a couple drops of antibacterial dish soap.
I have been working on diesel trucks for 20 plus years and Ethylene glycol is added to water to lower its freeze point and raise the boiling point, you also run a cap which will cause a hot cooling system
to run a higher then atmospheric pressure also raising the boiling point
Ethylene glycol can gel, it is call silica drop out and happens when a system is subjected to low flow or the coolant gets old, Cumins had issues with this in a so called low flow cooling system
FYI gentleman and ladies (if here) old coolant can do some serious and expensive damage to your automobile have it tested or changed at least every two years if you have ELC less if not
I kept an Aquarium for years, if I kept it near a window algae growth was a major problem, move it away from the window and it was controllable, keep you PC out of direct sun light

Try on a pharmacy or drug store, they also have distilled water.
The New One
(19 items)
 
Ocing rig z97
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ulta Gaming GTX 1080 HoF Mushking 4*4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 Crucial M500 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Toshiba Raystorm Pro CPU Windows 10 Professional BenQ XL2420Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Corsair AX1200i HAF X Thermaltake Saphira 
Mouse PadAudioOther
QCK Gamecome 780 APC 1500VA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core G3258 Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum G.Skill TridentX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Crucial MX100 Extreme cooling Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 
Power
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300V G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Crucial M4 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 Toshiba LG EK Supreme HF Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-320QP Swiftech MCP655-D XSPC Reservoir Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420z TT eSports Meka G1 Corsair AX1200i Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
TT eSports Saphira QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
The New One
(19 items)
 
Ocing rig z97
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Z170X Ulta Gaming GTX 1080 HoF Mushking 4*4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 Crucial M500 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Toshiba Raystorm Pro CPU Windows 10 Professional BenQ XL2420Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Thermaltake Corsair AX1200i HAF X Thermaltake Saphira 
Mouse PadAudioOther
QCK Gamecome 780 APC 1500VA 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core G3258 Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum G.Skill TridentX 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
Crucial MX100 Extreme cooling Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 
Power
EVGA SuperNOVA 1300V G2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T Gigabyte 890FXA-UD5 ASUS GTX 760 Striker Platinum Crucial Ballistix Tracer 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill Trident Crucial M4 Itachi Desktar Itachi Desktar 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M500 Toshiba LG EK Supreme HF Full Nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Swiftech MCR-320QP Swiftech MCP655-D XSPC Reservoir Windows 7 Professional 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2420z TT eSports Meka G1 Corsair AX1200i Cooler Master HAF X 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
TT eSports Saphira QCK+ Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Fatal1ty Profess... Plantronics GameCom 780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rognin View Post

Waiting on Mindchill for a special project we are working on (after about eleventy million e-mails... lol). I have a 20% mix in the loop right now with some of your deep blue and UV blue dyes. I have yet to use it in the cold side of the project as the order is still en-route through USPS.
I say beginning of February, I put the thing to work and can give you exact results.
The good news is I haven't seen a temp diffrence between pure DI water and a 20% mix. Flow rates are the same (better by 150ml/m when the water is warmed up actually), but that stuff is sticky... =P
Thanks for checking up! I'll be sure to let you know how things go!

Excellent were still running tests at our end with it as well. I wasnt to keen on it my self to start with as its froths like mad for the few 10 min how ever it settles out. we've sill got a lot of tests to run though but yeh my results are pretty much along the same lines as you as in is efficiency is pretty dammed good in fact better than expected.

Let us know how you go though as im interested in the results.
post #35 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Excellent were still running tests at our end with it as well. I wasnt to keen on it my self to start with as its froths like mad for the few 10 min how ever it settles out. we've sill got a lot of tests to run though but yeh my results are pretty much along the same lines as you as in is efficiency is pretty dammed good in fact better than expected.
Let us know how you go though as im interested in the results.

You got it bud! thumb.gif
Synthetic Anatomy
(14 items)
 
NAT-inator
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2700K Z68X-UD7-B3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Corsair  2x Mushkin 240Gb SSD Raid 0  A lot. ST1500 
CaseAudio
FT02 Xonar ST 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K P8P67 WS Revolution Sparkle Calibre GTX 560 G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force SSD WD Caviar Black BD combo Liquid 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate AX650 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
Synthetic Anatomy
(14 items)
 
NAT-inator
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 2700K Z68X-UD7-B3 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
RAMHard DriveCoolingPower
Corsair  2x Mushkin 240Gb SSD Raid 0  A lot. ST1500 
CaseAudio
FT02 Xonar ST 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K P8P67 WS Revolution Sparkle Calibre GTX 560 G.Skill 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Corsair Force SSD WD Caviar Black BD combo Liquid 
OSPowerCase
Win 7 Ultimate AX650 500R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #36 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by saint19 View Post

Try on a pharmacy or drug store, they also have distilled water.

I dunno what Vacaville is like but I can buy distilled in Socal for 89 cents a gallon from any market.
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Glycol and destilled water?