Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › So I want to build an energy efficient File/game server
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

So I want to build an energy efficient File/game server - Page 2

post #11 of 20
Thread Starter 
Hey all, Just checking in.

I ordered a i3-2120t. (35w hyper threaded dual core)
H67 motherboard mATX (expandable to 32gb memory, if i EVER need that, prob not) with 7 sata connectors for my (future) drives
the NZXT case (has the number of hdd bays I need)
I am reusing a 250gb laptop harddrive out of a spare laptop. 7200rpm 16mb cache. low power'ish primary drive
taking my 2tb out of my desktop to serve as network stream drive.
I ended up going with an antec 80 plus gold 520watt on sale for 40 bucks free shipping.
I am getting my copy of Win Serv 08 from my job (yay no pirating)
I am short on money, so I am using 2x2gb ddr3 of ram off my old desktop until next pay period then I am ordering 2x8gb ddr3.

And a benefit for working for a cable company is, i know they are snaking faster connections into my area, so better uploads are expected by Q2 2012 huzzah.

Hopefully with the green drive I am using for data storage / streaming will stay spun down when not in use and wont draw too much power at idle.

Should be up and running by late this afternoon / tonight. I am excited. I don't need to leave my rig idling all day ^___^ 515watts idle to ~90watts (I will update that tonight or tomorrow for an accurate reading).
post #12 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackheadkid View Post

Hey all, Just checking in.
I ordered a i3-2120t. (35w hyper threaded dual core)
H67 motherboard mATX (expandable to 32gb memory, if i EVER need that, prob not) with 7 sata connectors for my (future) drives
the NZXT case (has the number of hdd bays I need)
I am reusing a 250gb laptop harddrive out of a spare laptop. 7200rpm 16mb cache. low power'ish primary drive
taking my 2tb out of my desktop to serve as network stream drive.
I ended up going with an antec 80 plus gold 520watt on sale for 40 bucks free shipping.
I am getting my copy of Win Serv 08 from my job (yay no pirating)
I am short on money, so I am using 2x2gb ddr3 of ram off my old desktop until next pay period then I am ordering 2x8gb ddr3.
And a benefit for working for a cable company is, i know they are snaking faster connections into my area, so better uploads are expected by Q2 2012 huzzah.
Hopefully with the green drive I am using for data storage / streaming will stay spun down when not in use and wont draw too much power at idle.
Should be up and running by late this afternoon / tonight. I am excited. I don't need to leave my rig idling all day ^___^ 515watts idle to ~90watts (I will update that tonight or tomorrow for an accurate reading).

Sounding good! Do you really need 16GB of RAM, though? Mind you, it's so cheap why not? biggrin.gif

Remember to post pictures, please thumb.gif
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Sounding good! Do you really need 16GB of RAM, though? Mind you, it's so cheap why not? biggrin.gif
Remember to post pictures, please thumb.gif

man, I feel like I've seen you use that argument before somewhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

This. And the argument "it only costs a little more for 8GB" is trash as he'd probably never ever ever use 8GB so what's the point?

oh yeah, now I remember where I've seen that before, well done thumb.gif
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
First Time Build
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 920 MSI X58 Pro-E (MS-7522) EVGA GeForce GTX 460 EVGA GeForce GTX 460 
GraphicsRAMRAMRAM
Galaxy GeForce GTX 460 Corsair  Corsair  Corsair  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 Sony DVD+-RW Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Acer P215H Acer P221W Dynex Silverstone OP1000-E 1kW PSU 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master HAF 932 Dynex Dynex ASUS Xonar DG 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by b3machi7ke View Post

man, I feel like I've seen you use that argument before somewhere...
oh yeah, now I remember where I've seen that before, well done thumb.gif

Hah. I didn't think I had posted in this and was confused why it came as a subscription.

Does that make my point twice as valid? thumb.gif
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 20
5mb upload isn't enough unfortunately but if you want to upgrade to something that's like 50mb up it'd be great biggrin.gif
It's a computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2500k 4.5ghz @1.35v Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Asus GTX 470 725/1694 @1.025v EVGA GTS 450 900/1804 (PhysX) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8gb Gskill 1600mhz 640gb, Seagate 1tb Spinpoint F3, Kingston 60gb SSD LG Combo Thermaltake SpinQ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit Ultimate Acer X203H 1600x900 CM Storm Quickfire w/ Blues PC Power and Cooling 750watt Silencer MKII 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Raven RV02 Microsoft 1.1A Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2500k 4.5ghz @1.35v Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Asus GTX 470 725/1694 @1.025v EVGA GTS 450 900/1804 (PhysX) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8gb Gskill 1600mhz 640gb, Seagate 1tb Spinpoint F3, Kingston 60gb SSD LG Combo Thermaltake SpinQ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit Ultimate Acer X203H 1600x900 CM Storm Quickfire w/ Blues PC Power and Cooling 750watt Silencer MKII 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Raven RV02 Microsoft 1.1A Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Thanks guys, It should work with a single minecraft server and a single (although smaller) TF2 server. Hopefully that will appease me until I get a faster connection. I would have been happy with a 20 up, but that wont happen for a bit.

I will post pictures prob tomorrow. I will be at work for 75 hours this week, I might as well not even drive home.

idk about pictures though...a mATX board looks so out of place in a ATX case... compared to my other computers this one is a not even a new born. (at least compared to specifications).

eh wth I will post. gotta be proud of my $300 server ^__^
post #17 of 20
Thread Starter 
Well, I finally got it running at midnight last night. I started at 10pm. The issue? no x64bit lan driver that worked (insta BSOD on install). Thought it was a bad board, so I run my diag utilities, board is clean, tried 32bit worked instantly -_____-

So, it is using 32bit till foxconn gets back to me. So it supports up to 32gb of ram, but no driver for ethernet? that is intelligent. first and last time I use one of their boards...all my other builds worked right out the box. (although, i only spent 70bucks on the board...that's half the cost of my cheapest motherboard)

I still need to order a new heat sink, and the intel one is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever used. sounds like a leafblower, and cores idle at 50C. In what world does intel think that is acceptable? Now granted, I expected poor performance...but that is just AHH.
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackheadkid View Post

I still need to order a new heat sink, and the intel one is the biggest piece of garbage I have ever used. sounds like a leafblower, and cores idle at 50C. In what world does intel think that is acceptable? Now granted, I expected poor performance...but that is just AHH.

Intel is well known for this. What they do is put very good coolers in the first few thousand packages, knowing that they will hit review sites first. They say "cooler is good", "29 on idle" and everybody is happy. You order one and it's ****.

Unbelievable.
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 20
http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/4/freezer-7-pro-rev.-2.html?c=2181
I still think the freezer pro is one of the best coolers especially for silent computer/servers.
post #20 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/cooling/cpu/4/freezer-7-pro-rev.-2.html?c=2181
I still think the freezer pro is one of the best coolers especially for silent computer/servers.

I agree, that's the one I ordered. I have used it in several other builds, nice light and quiet. I should have it by thursday, pics to follow assuming it is bright enough outside for good lighting. (crappy old lighting in my house).

Now just to get my main rig under water. So much to do so little time.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › So I want to build an energy efficient File/game server