Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod" - Page 126

post #1251 of 8626
I went ahead and took apart my 580 last night. Re lapped the heatsink which I noticed based on the paste, was not flat still, and yet again, the edges of the cooler still aren't flat. It's nuts how long I'd have to sand the thing to actually get it flat. I'd say 90-95% of it is flat but the area around the screws is not even close to flat. uGGGG. I'm sure if I removed the IHS I'd get a huge drop in temps. Not sure I want to do the mod yet though. I'd have to cut an opening in the PCB plate and I'm not sure I want to do that, resale value... 55C was the max I got lastnight after lapping additionally, basically no different.

I wish there were better placement on the VRM's. UG. Having them right under the fan doesn't seem to do a whole lotta good for cooling. I almost feel my card crashes because of VRM heat but I have no idea. The top of the PCB gets upto 60C and that's the only temps I can get. I have my fan set to manual and the PCB plate doesn't get over 50C around the VRMs. So I dunno. I got 2 weird driver crashes lastnight after putting the card back into the PC. Crashed on heaven first, reset my OC setting, then it crashed again immediately... SO basically the card can only OC to around 930Mhz...kinda sad but I guess its ok. That is a 20% OC so I'm quite happy I guess.
post #1252 of 8626
consitering that the ref card is 772 and your 930 thats a pretty good oc there. Nothing wrong with that thumb.gif
post #1253 of 8626
So I am biting the bullet and moving forward with the mod to cool my Gigabyte 580 3gb.

Have purchased the Dwood bracket w/ fan mount.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1237219/tript-cc-620-920-h50-h70-gpu-brackets-fan-grills-custom-case-badges

What is the best way to install both 620's in my HAF 922 case?

Bottom front intake - COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 Red (led never used) (R4-LUS-07AR-GP)
Side panel intake - COOLER MASTER Megaflow 200 Blue (R4-LUS-07AB-GP)
Bottom intake - Enermax T.B. Silence 140mm x 25mm "Twister Bearing" Fan (UCTB14) 10dBA
Rear exhaust - standard case cooler master 120 mm fan x 1 / 1200 RPM / 17 dBA

Should I have one Antec Kuhler 620 running to my 580 mounted on the rear exhaust, and other Antec Kuhler 620 cooling my CPU mounted on the roof with an additional fan next to it?

Or is it better to have both Antec Kuhler 620's mounted to the roof and tape off the rear exhaust, or install a silent 120mm fan?

This weekend I installed Shin-Etsu on the northbridge x58 and lowered my temps 20C!! I never knew that it was such problem with the MSI Big Bang X (MS-7666) mobo.
post #1254 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

I went ahead and took apart my 580 last night. Re lapped the heatsink which I noticed based on the paste, was not flat still, and yet again, the edges of the cooler still aren't flat. It's nuts how long I'd have to sand the thing to actually get it flat. I'd say 90-95% of it is flat but the area around the screws is not even close to flat. uGGGG. I'm sure if I removed the IHS I'd get a huge drop in temps. Not sure I want to do the mod yet though. I'd have to cut an opening in the PCB plate and I'm not sure I want to do that, resale value... 55C was the max I got lastnight after lapping additionally, basically no different.
I wish there were better placement on the VRM's. UG. Having them right under the fan doesn't seem to do a whole lotta good for cooling. I almost feel my card crashes because of VRM heat but I have no idea. The top of the PCB gets upto 60C and that's the only temps I can get. I have my fan set to manual and the PCB plate doesn't get over 50C around the VRMs. So I dunno. I got 2 weird driver crashes lastnight after putting the card back into the PC. Crashed on heaven first, reset my OC setting, then it crashed again immediately... SO basically the card can only OC to around 930Mhz...kinda sad but I guess its ok. That is a 20% OC so I'm quite happy I guess.

Luck of the draw probably. I get 940 stable while folding and can push to 960 gaming but hey, its only 20Mhz. Im sitting on 53c ATM folding. As stated, 930 is not to shabby thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxWolf View Post

So I am biting the bullet and moving forward with the mod to cool my Gigabyte 580 3gb
Should I have one Antec Kuhler 620 running to my 580 mounted on the rear exhaust, and other Antec Kuhler 620 cooling my CPU mounted on the roof with an additional fan next to it?

I like the looks of this plan smile.gif
Edited by Sethy666 - 5/9/12 at 1:43pm
post #1255 of 8626
Hey guys. I've got a spare Antec 620 and I want to buy a graphics card to strap it to biggrin.gif. Which cards allow you to do the mod AND retain the shroud of the cooler?

I was thinking of getting a GTX 580 DS as it has a nice blue LED logo on the side, that matches the dark blue/black theme of my build.

Are their any other options?..Can be AMD or NVIDIA (and I've got a dremel if any cutting needs to be done thumb.gif).
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 @ stock MSI P55 GD80 KFA GTX 570 SLI 12GB Corsair Venegence 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex SSD 640GB Samsung M7 2.5" HDD Zalman 9900 MAX Blue LG DM2780D 27" 3D LED Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G13 Corsair AX 650 Lian Li A05 (Black Powder Coated) Logitech G700 
Audio
Logitech Z323 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 860 @ stock MSI P55 GD80 KFA GTX 570 SLI 12GB Corsair Venegence 1600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
128GB OCZ Vertex SSD 640GB Samsung M7 2.5" HDD Zalman 9900 MAX Blue LG DM2780D 27" 3D LED Monitor 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G13 Corsair AX 650 Lian Li A05 (Black Powder Coated) Logitech G700 
Audio
Logitech Z323 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1256 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobsmonster2 View Post

Hey guys. I've got a spare Antec 620 and I want to buy a graphics card to strap it to biggrin.gif. Which cards allow you to do the mod AND retain the shroud of the cooler?
I was thinking of getting a GTX 580 DS as it has a nice blue LED logo on the side, that matches the dark blue/black theme of my build.
Are their any other options?..Can be AMD or NVIDIA (and I've got a dremel if any cutting needs to be done thumb.gif).

I'm pretty sure any gtx card with a reference cooler that is like the gtx 470,480,570,580 etc can be cut on the top part for the tubes to go out of so that you can use the original shroud.
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
SB goodness
(14 items)
 
Core 2 duo
(9 items)
 
folder
(8 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k @ 4.6ghz,1.47v 24/7 GIGABYTE GA-P67A-UD4-B3 $200 EVGA GTX 970 SSC @ 1505mhz 16gb 2400 SuperSC DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
960gb Sandisk Ultra II Corsair H100i v2 Windows 7 64-bit SeaSonic X650 Gold 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Obsidian Series® 750D Airflow Edition Zowie FK 2 Speed by Surface/Steelseries SX/Steelseries 9HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo E6750 Asus P5n32-e SLI EVGA 8800gt superclocked @ 750/725 gaming/folding 4gb Fatal!ty ddr2 800 
Hard DriveCoolingOSPower
64gb SSD Stock Win 7 64 bit Corsair CX500 
Case
NZXT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium E6300 MSI G41M4-F GTX 460 2gb A-data ddr2 800 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
150gb raptor Ubuntu 13.04 64-bit Coolmax 520W NZXT 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1257 of 8626
I've got my 620 coming in for my EVGA 448 Core FTW card.

These should work fine?
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-43036-Cable-4-inch/dp/B0002GX1XA/ref=sr_1_2?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1336638509&sr=1-2
post #1258 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hacksword View Post

You betcha, I will upload some pics when I get home tonight.

Did you ever upload any?
post #1259 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashFir View Post

I've got my 620 coming in for my EVGA 448 Core FTW card.
These should work fine?
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-43036-Cable-4-inch/dp/B0002GX1XA/ref=sr_1_2?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1336638509&sr=1-2

Why not spend a mere 5 or 6 dollars more and simply get a bracket? Much more secure and solid mount.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700K @ 4.7ghz Asus Sabertooth Z170 Mark 1 Seahawk X 1080 ti 16gb Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 3200mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2TB Samsung Evo 950 LG Blu Ray / DVD  H115i Win 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer XB270HU Logitech G710 EVGA 1000w Corsair 780T 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G502 My girlfriends butt. Asus z170 onboard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1260 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by cravinmild View Post

check out this post in our sister club The Red Mod. Seems that a user has cracked their die. Posted a pic of the chip and i can see a crack, sucks if it is. Anyways whats your guys thoughts on this, perhaps something is being overlooked... as far as making a mod safer lol.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1203636/official-amd-ati-gpu-mod-club-aka-the-red-mod/320#post_17179323 (post 329)

Didn't read the post yet, but you have to lapp the cooler before puting it on the die directly. Always do this, you have to make sure it is %110 flat or else this can happen.
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"