Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod" - Page 194

post #1931 of 8622
yea, well, a lot of Y cables are wrong... There should be only 1 TACH wire from 1 fan.. you may need to cut a wire.
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #1932 of 8622
Back when the H70 came with two fans and a Y adaptor plus two resisters it was a pretty great set up for sound reduction. Ive since purchased a fan controller but that same adaptor does not run two fans for the H100 fan header..... fine from molex to fans though. BTW, when did the H70 stop coming with fans included?
post #1933 of 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDad View Post

yea, well, a lot of Y cables are wrong... There should be only 1 TACH wire from 1 fan.. you may need to cut a wire.

Do tell. I am interested in this. I bought 5 noctua fans so I have 5 noctua Y cables and I am only using 2.

Which one is the one you cut and where?
Classified 540
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3820 EVGA X79 Classified  EVGA gtx 980 classified 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
PNY XLr8 240GB SSD 2 x 3tb Segate 7200rpm  Swiftech H220-X Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280mm  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Monsoon Compression fittings Monsoon 90 Rotary fittings 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
Monsoon 45 Rotary fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Dell U3415W Cooler Master Silent 850w PSU 
Case
Corsair Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Classified 540
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3820 EVGA X79 Classified  EVGA gtx 980 classified 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
PNY XLr8 240GB SSD 2 x 3tb Segate 7200rpm  Swiftech H220-X Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280mm  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Monsoon Compression fittings Monsoon 90 Rotary fittings 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
Monsoon 45 Rotary fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Dell U3415W Cooler Master Silent 850w PSU 
Case
Corsair Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1934 of 8622
heres my asus dcII 680 +300(1440 boost) with 1.38v and h70 mod maxed 53c in bf3 was playing for hours
I have a 80mn fan on the vrm heatsink and stock ones that came with the cooler on the rad

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VqX5qLEmog&feature=plcp
very good combo imho..... but i do suck at the game
post #1935 of 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop161 View Post

Do tell. I am interested in this. I bought 5 noctua fans so I have 5 noctua Y cables and I am only using 2.
Which one is the one you cut and where?

This ones right, notice one connector is missing a pin.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706023

This ones wrong. It has all it's pins and yellow wires.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123297

The spec can be found here:
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CREV1_2_Public.pdf

The Fans Tachometer output are pulses, two per revolution. Two fans would give twice as many if they ran same same speed and were insync just right, which doesn't happen. So at best your controller will think the fans running twice as fast, but actually it gets erratic data. So the PWM controled speeds can be erratic too.
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #1936 of 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowie View Post

heres my asus dcII 680 +300(1440 boost) with 1.38v and h70 mod maxed 53c in bf3 was playing for hours
I have a 80mn fan on the vrm heatsink and stock ones that came with the cooler on the rad
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VqX5qLEmog&feature=plcp
very good combo imho..... but i do suck at the game

1440 Boost? Wow you have to post some pics!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDad View Post

This ones right, notice one connector is missing a pin.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812706023
This ones wrong. It has all it's pins and yellow wires.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123297
The spec can be found here:
http://www.formfactors.org/developer%5Cspecs%5CREV1_2_Public.pdf
The Fans Tachometer output are pulses, two per revolution. Two fans would give twice as many if they ran same same speed and were insync just right, which doesn't happen. So at best your controller will think the fans running twice as fast, but actually it gets erratic data. So the PWM controled speeds can be erratic too.

Thanks for the tip. just check the cables and they are the right kind. Is a Noctua (NA-YC1). On one of the connectors it has 4 wires and the other it has 3. Could is maybe not be working since I was trying to run different fans? (NF-F12 and NF-B9).
Classified 540
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3820 EVGA X79 Classified  EVGA gtx 980 classified 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
PNY XLr8 240GB SSD 2 x 3tb Segate 7200rpm  Swiftech H220-X Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280mm  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Monsoon Compression fittings Monsoon 90 Rotary fittings 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
Monsoon 45 Rotary fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Dell U3415W Cooler Master Silent 850w PSU 
Case
Corsair Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Classified 540
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3820 EVGA X79 Classified  EVGA gtx 980 classified 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
PNY XLr8 240GB SSD 2 x 3tb Segate 7200rpm  Swiftech H220-X Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280mm  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Monsoon Compression fittings Monsoon 90 Rotary fittings 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
Monsoon 45 Rotary fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Dell U3415W Cooler Master Silent 850w PSU 
Case
Corsair Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1937 of 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by bishop161 View Post

1440 Boost? Wow you have to post some pics!
Thanks for the tip. just check the cables and they are the right kind. Is a Noctua (NA-YC1). On one of the connectors it has 4 wires and the other it has 3. Could is maybe not be working since I was trying to run different fans? (NF-F12 and NF-B9).

IMHO, the spec is full of holes. It's difficult to say 2 fans will work or not, or damage the PWM driver. In practice, people have had mixed results. My thoughts:
1. Don't mix fan types. Some fans have pullup resistors on the PWM pin tied to +5v, others to +3.3v. It's old vs new.
2. The curious can measure PWM FAN pull current and voltage (may need to make a jig). PWM FAN pin pullup resistor max current source is 5ma (short circuit current). That puts in within the PWM controller current sink capacity spec of 5ma (8ma recommended).
3. The electronic geeks among us can build a buffer with a 74LS05 or 74HCT05, etc...
Edited by WarDad - 7/14/12 at 9:16am
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #1938 of 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDad View Post

IMHO, the spec is full of holes. It's difficult to say 2 fans will work or not, or damage the PWM driver. In practice, people have had mixed results. My thoughts:
1. Don't mix fan types. Some fans have pullup resistors on the PWM pin tied to +5v, others to +3.3v. It's old vs new.
2. The curious can measure PWM FAN pull current and voltage (may need to make a jig). PWM FAN pin pullup resistor max current source is 5ma (short circuit current). That puts in within the PWM controller current sink capacity spec of 5ma (8ma recommended).
3. The electronic geeks among us can build a buffer with a 74LS05 or 74HCT05, etc...

I appreciate all your help. I am not even going to worry about it. Was hoping it would be an easy fix but it really isn't a big deal.

The main thing is that the rad fan is now working through precision x instead of being tied to my mobo. This works great now as a custom fan curve keeps my 670gtx plenty cool while gaming. Big OC without any throttle and I am happy!
Classified 540
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3820 EVGA X79 Classified  EVGA gtx 980 classified 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
PNY XLr8 240GB SSD 2 x 3tb Segate 7200rpm  Swiftech H220-X Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280mm  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Monsoon Compression fittings Monsoon 90 Rotary fittings 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
Monsoon 45 Rotary fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Dell U3415W Cooler Master Silent 850w PSU 
Case
Corsair Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Classified 540
(17 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3820 EVGA X79 Classified  EVGA gtx 980 classified 16GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
PNY XLr8 240GB SSD 2 x 3tb Segate 7200rpm  Swiftech H220-X Alphacool NexXxoS ST30 280mm  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
3 x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 3 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Monsoon Compression fittings Monsoon 90 Rotary fittings 
CoolingCoolingMonitorPower
Monsoon 45 Rotary fittings PrimoChill Advanced LRT Dell U3415W Cooler Master Silent 850w PSU 
Case
Corsair Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1939 of 8622
Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing this on my EVGA 560ti 01G-P3-1563-AR with dwood's bracket and was wondering if there was anything special I need to know about the card. I want to see if I can't get a 120mm fan mount on the bracket but wasn't sure if I would run into a power issue with the connector on the card or if I can just put it through to my PSU directly with a molex converter. Thanks!
post #1940 of 8622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaevar View Post

Hey guys, I'm thinking about doing this on my EVGA 560ti 01G-P3-1563-AR with dwood's bracket and was wondering if there was anything special I need to know about the card. I want to see if I can't get a 120mm fan mount on the bracket but wasn't sure if I would run into a power issue with the connector on the card or if I can just put it through to my PSU directly with a molex converter. Thanks!

Fitting the fan to the card's fan header may prove to be problematic. Id just run it via a molex connector.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"