Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod" - Page 209

post #2081 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post

Thats taking a bit far imo.
Yes this mod is super cool, and incredibly easy.
But there are still some very nice aftermarket air coolers, and some people on a budget will prefer that.
Additionally, the vast majority of people who delve into water cooling still prefer to do custom water loops.
So although this mod has its place, and its a great thing dont get me wrong, to say its "the only one you will recommend" is doing a huge disservice to your fellow overclockers and computer enthusiasts.
/off soapbox
One thing that you seem to have misinterpreted with this is that I would not still present the other available options to others whom are choosing an aftermarket cooler. I would present them with the options, but only recommend one of them, as I believe it is a vastly superior option to anything else that exists.

Edit: just to be clear, I was only referring to aftermarket air coolers; I don't consider a custom water loop in the same category as this.

When was looking into aftermarket air coolers myself, I looked through all of the available options, and none of the ones I looked at had anywhere near the performance of the mod and most were more expensive.

If you take the Zalman VF3000F for example, it does not out perform the stock heat sink at a high fan setting, whereas my Antec 620 drastically out performs the stock heat sink on 100% fan.

Just for note is that the VF3000F is one of the best GPU heat sinks. Warning: proof (Click to show)

Now that I reflect on my search for a GPU cooler, I do remember considering the Deepcool Dracula the best option, briefly; it performs better than any of the other air heat sinks that I investigated. The only reason I did not go with that heat sink and would not recommend that heat sink to others is that it takes 4 PCI express slots, and that puts a major restriction on your system.
Edited by Art Vanelay - 8/8/12 at 9:33pm
post #2082 of 8626
Vastly superior to anything else that exists is an irresponsible overstatement Art. Cmon....

The single, and only thing that this mod has over a custom water loop is that it is quicker and easier.

Custom water will provide better temps and performance, esp with full cover blocks watercooling everything important on the face of the GPU.

Custom water is either the same cost, or less expensive if you are already water cooling your CPU. The only additional supplies you need are the block, and an extra foot or 2 of tubing whereas the mod requires the special brackets plus the self contained water cooling unit. This part really depends on what hardware you choose.

My only point is this.....this is a super cool mod, and I love it. Very ingenious and simplistic.

But lets not make it out like someone reinvented the wheel and pretend that this mod is something that its not. Video cards have been water cooled for a very long time now. The beauty of this mod lies within the simplicity of buying a premade and self contained water loop that need not be assembled and nothing more.
Edited by Dawgdoc - 8/8/12 at 9:05pm
post #2083 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post

Vastly superior to anything else that exists is an irresponsible overstatement Art. Cmon....
The single, and only thing that this mod has over a custom water loop is that it is quicker and easier.
I was only referring to aftermarket "all in one" coolers. If you are going for a water cooling setup, you probably would not be considering this kind of cooling solution.

Quote:
Custom water will provide better temps and performance, esp with full cover blocks watercooling everything important on the face of the GPU.
Custom water is either the same cost, or less expensive if you are already water cooling your CPU. The only additional supplies you need are the block, and an extra foot or 2 of tubing whereas the mod requires the special brackets plus the self contained water cooling unit. This part really depends on what hardware you choose.
Really? the cheapest GTX 480 full cover block I could find was $80; where are you finding these cheap full cover blocks? I want one. tongue.gif
You probably were referring to universal blocks, which are cheaper, but if you already had a water cooling setup, I would doubt that you would need a recommendation on cooling type.
Edited by Art Vanelay - 8/8/12 at 9:34pm
post #2084 of 8626
No. I actually meant full cover waterblocks, which is why I said "full cover" smile.gif

Last I checked they make different video cards than 480s as well.

Looks like you have a real affinity for this mod, and thats all well and good, but your statements and sentiments are just inaccurate and as I said, do a disservice to other overclockers and computer enthusiasts.

Take that and reflect on it, or toss it in the trash. Your call.
post #2085 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post

No. I actually meant full cover waterblocks, which is why I said "full cover" smile.gif
Last I checked they make different video cards than 480s as well.
Looks like you have a real affinity for this mod, and thats all well and good, but your statements and sentiments are just inaccurate and as I said, do a disservice to other overclockers and computer enthusiasts.
Take that and reflect on it, or toss it in the trash. Your call.
Are there better price to performance "all in one" coolers? You haven't really offered me any reason not to think the mod is the best option (Custom loops don't count).

With many cards, full cover water blocks are more expensive than the mod, so that statement was incorrect as a generalization.
post #2086 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

It is the only one I will recommend people whom are looking into aftermarket coolers for their graphics cards.

Its really quite simple. You can hold your breath and taut about XYZ all you want, but reread your statement. Reread what I have said, and either see (or dont see) what I am talking about.

Price to performance ratio? rolleyes.gif
post #2087 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post

Vastly superior to anything else that exists is an irresponsible overstatement Art. Cmon....
Custom water is either the same cost, or less expensive if you are already water cooling your CPU. The only additional supplies you need are the block, and an extra foot or 2 of tubing ...

What??? You have to add more Radiator too or the whole loop temp will rise and impact the CPU. Adding a 240 rad per GPU will not do the trick. It would make the water loop perform like mediocre CPU air cooler.
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #2088 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgdoc View Post

Its really quite simple. You can hold your breath and taut about XYZ all you want, but reread your statement. Reread what I have said, and either see (or dont see) what I am talking about.
Price to performance ratio? rolleyes.gif
You talked about custom water cooling the entire time. I specifically stated that custom water cooling was a completely different situation. If you think I am doing a disservice by this, why don't you suggest an aftermarket cooler that has comparable performance for less than $80? I haven't found one, and I don't think that there is one.
Quote:
What??? You have to add more Radiator too or the whole loop temp will rise and impact the CPU. Adding a 240 rad per GPU will not do the trick. It would make the water loop perform like mediocre CPU air cooler.
Don't 240 rads have something like 400 watts of heat dissipation?
post #2089 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vanelay View Post

Don't 240 rads have something like 400 watts of heat dissipation?

Maybe you should read thru the stickys in this forums water cooling section.
http://www.overclock.net/t/226970/updated-water-cooling-essential-threads
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
PappyBogus
(0 items)
  
Reply
post #2090 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarDad View Post

Maybe you should read thru the stickys in this forums water cooling section.
http://www.overclock.net/t/226970/updated-water-cooling-essential-threads
I probably should have.

Edit: according to this review, the cooling potential of an RX360 is 0.021 C/W at 1400 RPM, so the cooling potential of the 240 should be 0.0315 C/W. Yeah, that would be an 8 degree difference on a 250 watt graphics card.
http://skinneelabs.com/xspc-rx360-v1/4/
Edited by Art Vanelay - 8/9/12 at 8:04pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"