Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod" - Page 68

post #671 of 8626
Hey guys! Usually lurk most forums redface.gif but after doing this mod I thought I definately had to thank you all for the build logs and the fantastic guide!thumb.gif I didn't get any pics during the build cos my camera is dead but I might get some on the phone later. The temps with this mod are INSANE! I'm running a MSI GTX 470 HAWK with the Antec 620, the temps were good with the hawk but the bearing was starting to go on one of the fans and the noise was chronic anyhow so I thought I'd give this a try, and I am glad I did!!!
Idle before (Mild overclock & stock volts, dual monitors causes it to be about 5-10c higher than normal):
421
Burn in before:
203

Idle after:
451
Burn in after:
203

One thing i would mention though, I keep hearing a random pop noise now and again, would this just be air bubbles going thru the pipes? I'm kinda worried about the cable ties coming loose, although I did get them as tight as I could... worriedsmiley.gif

After a quick overclock session I got the core clock to 915 and shader to 1830 with 1.087v for around 2 mins and then I heard that small pop again and hit x pretty quick, I could get this on air but the temps were a bit too high for my liking and I got a bluescreen the last time I ran a game at these clocks, I think it might have been the vrms overheating, do you guys reckon this would be more stable since the HSF isnt blowing 70c+ of heat at the pcb now? ( I still have a hawk fan attached with cable ties over the vrm heat plate). I dont think that pop did anything, chip is still stable at stock and 701mhz.
TurboToaster Mk.V
(22 items)
 
LapToaster
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 EVO AMD R9 290 Corsair Vengence 1600mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB Samsung 840 Samsung 840 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB Western Digital Blue 1TB Western Digital Blue 500GB LG BD-RE 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Seidon 240M Windows 7 Professional 64bit BenQ 2411z @120Hz with 1500VT tweak, 1ms persis... Cooler Master Quickfire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4710MQ Clevo P370SM-A Nvidia 880M 880M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengence  Crucial M550 128GB Samsung 840 128GB WD 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitor
Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Overclocked to 105Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
TurboToaster Mk.V
(22 items)
 
LapToaster
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 EVO AMD R9 290 Corsair Vengence 1600mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB Samsung 840 Samsung 840 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB Western Digital Blue 1TB Western Digital Blue 500GB LG BD-RE 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Seidon 240M Windows 7 Professional 64bit BenQ 2411z @120Hz with 1500VT tweak, 1ms persis... Cooler Master Quickfire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4710MQ Clevo P370SM-A Nvidia 880M 880M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengence  Crucial M550 128GB Samsung 840 128GB WD 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitor
Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Overclocked to 105Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #672 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakewalk_S View Post

It's a stupid easy mod. If you can use a ziptie then you can do this mod... You'll be fine..and totally blown away when you get done with it! thumb.gif

yea I'm excited to get my rig put together and do this mod to my 560 and my brothers 470. hes been having problems with his 470 while playing bf3 so i hope this helps. Everything is waiting at my house in boxes. Now all i have to do is get out of this wasteland they call the middle east haha.
post #673 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagahan View Post

Hey guys! Usually lurk most forums redface.gif but after doing this mod I thought I definately had to thank you all for the build logs and the fantastic guide!thumb.gif I didn't get any pics during the build cos my camera is dead but I might get some on the phone later. The temps with this mod are INSANE! I'm running a MSI GTX 470 HAWK with the Antec 620, the temps were good with the hawk but the bearing was starting to go on one of the fans and the noise was chronic anyhow so I thought I'd give this a try, and I am glad I did!!!
Idle before (Mild overclock & stock volts, dual monitors causes it to be about 5-10c higher than normal):
421
Burn in before:
203
Idle after:
451
Burn in after:
203
One thing i would mention though, I keep hearing a random pop noise now and again, would this just be air bubbles going thru the pipes? I'm kinda worried about the cable ties coming loose, although I did get them as tight as I could... worriedsmiley.gif
After a quick overclock session I got the core clock to 915 and shader to 1830 with 1.087v for around 2 mins and then I heard that small pop again and hit x pretty quick, I could get this on air but the temps were a bit too high for my liking and I got a bluescreen the last time I ran a game at these clocks, I think it might have been the vrms overheating, do you guys reckon this would be more stable since the HSF isnt blowing 70c+ of heat at the pcb now? ( I still have a hawk fan attached with cable ties over the vrm heat plate). I dont think that pop did anything, chip is still stable at stock and 701mhz.


Poping from where? The sound coming through your computer or from your gfx card? It's probably the VRM's. I don't believe on the MSI hawk they have heatsinks on them... Don't push the card at all! If you want to kill your card run kombuster or furmark. Do you even have a fan on the VRM's???? You need to have either a pretty good fan on the VRM's to cool them, and/or a good aluminum/copper heatsink on the VRM's and a fan blowing on them. If you blow a VRM kiss your card goodbye! That's forsure. Don't take it lightly. Not computer should have a poping noise coming from it...
post #674 of 8626
Hello there. I'm Just a new member of the "mod Club" with two 580 sli with the Antec Khuler 620! wink.gif Couldn't Be happier! In my bench test they never gone up from 60ºc! With furmark 1.92 (i think...). But there is a question i have to put here. When i install them in my case, the pump start to make a noise, like a cricket... I don't know how this can happen... Have you guys have ever had any issues with this mod? I'll Post some pics, and video with the noise... But this problems apart, it's just amazing!

Cheers All,

Tiago Silva,
Portugal
post #675 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagahan View Post

Hey guys!
After a quick overclock session I got the core clock to 915 and shader to 1830 with 1.087v for around 2 mins and then I heard that small pop again and hit x pretty quick, I could get this on air but the temps were a bit too high for my liking and I got a bluescreen the last time I ran a game at these clocks, I think it might have been the vrms overheating, do you guys reckon this would be more stable since the HSF isnt blowing 70c+ of heat at the pcb now? ( I still have a hawk fan attached with cable ties over the vrm heat plate). I dont think that pop did anything, chip is still stable at stock and 701mhz.

Pop, is it coming from the pump? If yes, that is the fan/turbine/blade ..thing.. bumping into the bottom or top section of the housing on the shaft it is attached too. This is ok and won't cause any damage. Some people have sent it back to Antec for RMA, it is more of an annoyance than anything.

Probably has to do with it being inverted instead of horizontal meh...

There was a thread describing a user that took apart the 620 and added tape to the shaft to reduce the fan play, but I can't find it.

If the Pop is coming from the card... I dunno.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiagone View Post

Hello there. I'm Just a new member of the "mod Club" with two 580 sli with the Antec Khuler 620! wink.gif Couldn't Be happier! In my bench test they never gone up from 60ºc! With furmark 1.92 (i think...). But there is a question i have to put here. When i install them in my case, the pump start to make a noise, like a cricket... I don't know how this can happen... Have you guys have ever had any issues with this mod? I'll Post some pics, and video with the noise... But this problems apart, it's just amazing!
Cheers All,
Tiago Silva,
Portugal

Same thing I mentioned above about the fan having play in the housing. I've been running mine for a couple weeks straight and no issues, I don't think it will hurt anything just annoying. I had fish tank pumps in similar design and would make the same rattle depending on orientation.
Edited by Aparition - 4/2/12 at 6:10am
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Rig 2.0
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3770k Asus P8Z77-V EVGA GTX780 SC ACX Samsung DDR 3 (2 DIMMS) MV-3V4G3D/US 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 SSD WD Caviar Black Asus DVD/RW Xigmatek s-1283 HDT (Air Cooling) 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
Scythe Slipstream 1200RPM (x2) Antec 140mm + Antec 120mm + Xigmatek 120mm (x2) Win 7 64bit Acer S243HL bmii - 24" 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 Corsair Carbide 300R MX 518 Auzentek X-Fi Forte 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #676 of 8626
The HAWK has an aluminium plate over the memory and VRMs preinstalled, and i have one of the original fans sitting about 1cm from it at about 2000rpm idle and 3000 when the core gets to 45c, that and the 922 240mm fan is sitting above the card too. I havn't heard it since, there is alot of air in my 620 though, ran it outside of the case for a while before installing and there was an awful lot of bubbles going thru it. I wish there was a VRM temp sensor on this card. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Gonna sit at stock for a day or two and watch how its behavin.
TurboToaster Mk.V
(22 items)
 
LapToaster
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 EVO AMD R9 290 Corsair Vengence 1600mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB Samsung 840 Samsung 840 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB Western Digital Blue 1TB Western Digital Blue 500GB LG BD-RE 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Seidon 240M Windows 7 Professional 64bit BenQ 2411z @120Hz with 1500VT tweak, 1ms persis... Cooler Master Quickfire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4710MQ Clevo P370SM-A Nvidia 880M 880M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengence  Crucial M550 128GB Samsung 840 128GB WD 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitor
Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Overclocked to 105Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
TurboToaster Mk.V
(22 items)
 
LapToaster
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 EVO AMD R9 290 Corsair Vengence 1600mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB Samsung 840 Samsung 840 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB Western Digital Blue 1TB Western Digital Blue 500GB LG BD-RE 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Seidon 240M Windows 7 Professional 64bit BenQ 2411z @120Hz with 1500VT tweak, 1ms persis... Cooler Master Quickfire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4710MQ Clevo P370SM-A Nvidia 880M 880M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengence  Crucial M550 128GB Samsung 840 128GB WD 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitor
Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Overclocked to 105Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #677 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagahan View Post

The HAWK has an aluminium plate over the memory and VRMs preinstalled, and i have one of the original fans sitting about 1cm from it at about 2000rpm idle and 3000 when the core gets to 45c, that and the 922 240mm fan is sitting above the card too. I havn't heard it since, there is alot of air in my 620 though, ran it outside of the case for a while before installing and there was an awful lot of bubbles going thru it. I wish there was a VRM temp sensor on this card. thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif Gonna sit at stock for a day or two and watch how its behavin.

Just touch the top of the PCB where the VRM's are, hold your hand on there. If its around 60C you should be able to hold your fingers on it for a few seconds before it gets too hot. Anything under 60C and you should be able to hold your fingers on it without any problem. Might be a little uncomfortable. That's how I test it and I've also got a infrared thermometer that records temps really accurately.

My theory, if you can hold your hand on it, temps are fine. If you cant even touch it, too hot...
post #678 of 8626
Well I had no problem holding my fingers on it for about 30 seconds while it was running kombustor. What do you reckon?

EDIT: Nearly sure it was the pump. Its stopped now, sat listening to the card while kombustor ran. Gonna take off the back panel in case theres a loose molex on one of the fans to be sure.
Edited by Lagahan - 4/2/12 at 7:25am
TurboToaster Mk.V
(22 items)
 
LapToaster
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 EVO AMD R9 290 Corsair Vengence 1600mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB Samsung 840 Samsung 840 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB Western Digital Blue 1TB Western Digital Blue 500GB LG BD-RE 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Seidon 240M Windows 7 Professional 64bit BenQ 2411z @120Hz with 1500VT tweak, 1ms persis... Cooler Master Quickfire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4710MQ Clevo P370SM-A Nvidia 880M 880M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengence  Crucial M550 128GB Samsung 840 128GB WD 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitor
Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Overclocked to 105Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
TurboToaster Mk.V
(22 items)
 
LapToaster
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500k ASUS P8P67 EVO AMD R9 290 Corsair Vengence 1600mhz 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 EVO Samsung SM951 NVMe 256GB Samsung 840 Samsung 840 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Green 3TB Western Digital Blue 1TB Western Digital Blue 500GB LG BD-RE 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Cooler Master Seidon 240M Windows 7 Professional 64bit BenQ 2411z @120Hz with 1500VT tweak, 1ms persis... Cooler Master Quickfire TK 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair RM1000 Cooler Master Storm Trooper Logitech G502 Puretrak Talent 
AudioAudio
Creative Sound Blaster ZxR Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250 ohms 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4710MQ Clevo P370SM-A Nvidia 880M 880M 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8GB Corsair Vengence  Crucial M550 128GB Samsung 840 128GB WD 1TB 
Optical DriveOSMonitor
Pioneer DVD-RW Windows 7 Ultimate Overclocked to 105Hz 
  hide details  
Reply
post #679 of 8626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiagone View Post

Hello there. I'm Just a new member of the "mod Club" with two 580 sli with the Antec Khuler 620! wink.gif Couldn't Be happier! In my bench test they never gone up from 60ºc! With furmark 1.92 (i think...). But there is a question i have to put here. When i install them in my case, the pump start to make a noise, like a cricket... I don't know how this can happen... Have you guys have ever had any issues with this mod? I'll Post some pics, and video with the noise... But this problems apart, it's just amazing!
Cheers All,
Tiago Silva,
Portugal

couple of my friends had the same issue with the Khuler 620 and came up with very nice trick to solve it out .

turn your pc on and when you hear that pump noise move a small piece of magnet around the center of the pump , there is certain point you will easily find at which the pump noise will stop when the magnet get nearby , stick the magnet at that point with any adhesive tape , that's all.

we could not have any explanation why the noise stopped and it is not much for a solution but still an effective one , try it and feedback .
post #680 of 8626
Magnet? Heheheeh I'll trying it, then post smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Cooling › [Official] NVIDIA GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Mod"