Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › [Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod" - Page 298

post #2971 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarg7 View Post

Pure Red with lots of heat sinks and 2 small 40mm Noctua A-Series Cooling Fans

What do you mean direct 12v to the psu?

I would up the fans to at least 80mm 30+ CFM

Use an adapter to change the MB plug on the H55 pump to a 4 pin molex connector and drop a power line from the Power Supply to plug it into. So the pump runs at full power 100% of the time.

4/3 pin on the MB will vary the fan based upon the heat of the CPU based upon it's sensor and not the heat of the GPU.

Get that pump running at 100%
Edited by Egilman - 7/13/16 at 3:52pm
post #2972 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

I would up the fans to at least 80mm 30+ CFM

Use an adapter to change the MB plug on the H55 pump to a 4 pin molex connector and drop a power line from the Power Supply to plug it into. So the pump runs at full power 100% of the time.

4/3 pin on the MB will vary the fan based upon the heat of the CPU based upon it's sensor and not the heat of the GPU.

Get that pump running at 100%

80mm fans are not exaclt needed to get decent VRM temps, two 40mm fans might be more managable in some cases. That said, my limited testing on the subject shows that VRM temps even with large heatsinks is heavily dependent on the air flow put over them. It's obvious I know, but the temperature differences of just case flow can impact the VRM temps of about 5*c alone. It's all dependent on the heatsinks in use though so the bigger the surface area you have the less air flow you can get away with (but subsecuently higher air flow will have an even bigger impact on temps).

Generally speaking it's best to go for as big of a fan as you can place close to the heatsinks. So if you can then a 140mm fan would be best for both performance and noise, but it would be useless if you have to place it far away from the heatsink to get the space. So for a lot of people a 92mm fan seems to be the sweetspot as it's roughly the width of the PCB and can thus often be placed very close to it as well.

Personally I'm currently using 80mm fans since It was the best option I had available for the current fitting I have, but 92mm fans or even 120m fans would perform better at a lower noise level.
Winter Solstice
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero x370 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X OC Boost Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb x2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial m4 128GB crucial mx100 Intel 520 240GB Western Digital Green 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Blueray 123l EKWB Supremacy acrylic nickel Bitspower Acrylic DDC top Bitspower DDC top upgrade kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB DDC Heatsink black Sanyo Denki 80mmx15mm x3 Arctic F12 x15 EKWB Thermosphere acrylic nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 480 Monsta x2 Phanteks F140SP Primochill Advanced LRT Demineralized water with benzalkonium chloride 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech mcp35x Windows 10 Pro 64bit Dell Ultrasharp U2414H Logitech g710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova P2 1000w Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech g502 Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Cerwin Vega XD4 Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3317u lenovo s230u intel hd4000 4gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m500 240gb Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit 12.5" Corning gorilla glass screen, multituch, ... Lenovo Thinkpad s230u 
PowerCaseAudio
4cell 60w/h Magnesium alloy Thinkpad s230u body Terratec Aureon dual USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Winter Solstice
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero x370 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X OC Boost Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb x2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial m4 128GB crucial mx100 Intel 520 240GB Western Digital Green 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Blueray 123l EKWB Supremacy acrylic nickel Bitspower Acrylic DDC top Bitspower DDC top upgrade kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB DDC Heatsink black Sanyo Denki 80mmx15mm x3 Arctic F12 x15 EKWB Thermosphere acrylic nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 480 Monsta x2 Phanteks F140SP Primochill Advanced LRT Demineralized water with benzalkonium chloride 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech mcp35x Windows 10 Pro 64bit Dell Ultrasharp U2414H Logitech g710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova P2 1000w Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech g502 Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Cerwin Vega XD4 Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3317u lenovo s230u intel hd4000 4gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m500 240gb Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit 12.5" Corning gorilla glass screen, multituch, ... Lenovo Thinkpad s230u 
PowerCaseAudio
4cell 60w/h Magnesium alloy Thinkpad s230u body Terratec Aureon dual USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2973 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker91 View Post

80mm fans are not exaclt needed to get decent VRM temps, two 40mm fans might be more managable in some cases. That said, my limited testing on the subject shows that VRM temps even with large heatsinks is heavily dependent on the air flow put over them. It's obvious I know, but the temperature differences of just case flow can impact the VRM temps of about 5*c alone. It's all dependent on the heatsinks in use though so the bigger the surface area you have the less air flow you can get away with (but subsecuently higher air flow will have an even bigger impact on temps).

Generally speaking it's best to go for as big of a fan as you can place close to the heatsinks. So if you can then a 140mm fan would be best for both performance and noise, but it would be useless if you have to place it far away from the heatsink to get the space. So for a lot of people a 92mm fan seems to be the sweetspot as it's roughly the width of the PCB and can thus often be placed very close to it as well.

Personally I'm currently using 80mm fans since It was the best option I had available for the current fitting I have, but 92mm fans or even 120m fans would perform better at a lower noise level.

I agree the bigger the fan the better, that is why I said at least..

An 80x15 30cfm is the smallest I would recommend, 92x15 is probably the best balance. Not that smaller wouldn't work in some scenarios or rejecting bigger as not better. The real point as you state is sufficient airflow arranged for good flow over the cards sinks.....

Any red mod requires it.....

To be real honest I think his problem might be MB throttling the pump based upon CPU temps. The motherboard is never going to give a full power application to the pump. Put on a CPU as it was designed, it may if the CPU gets hot enough, but it is never going to do that for the GPU.

Another thing is to get a mini GPU fan header adapter for the radiator fan, so the card can control the cooling fan, when the GPU gets hotter, the fan pushes more air.

one fan- 3/4-Pin Fan Connector (Male) to 4-Pin GPU Mini Fan Connector (Female)

two fans push-pull- Mini 4-Pin GPU to 2 x 4-Pin PWM Fan Adapter

Three fans- Mini 4-Pin GPU to 3 x 4-Pin PWM Fan Adapter
two card fans and a radiator fan or one card fan and two radiator fans controlled by the card temp sensor.

Hooked up this way the radiator fans are responsive to the heat from the GPU heat sensor and the bearingless pump is running 100% when connected to the power supply for full cooling fluid flow. That eliminates any issues with inadequate cooling.

Those adapters can also be used to control the VRM fans also.
Edited by Egilman - 7/13/16 at 4:34pm
post #2974 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egilman View Post

I agree the bigger the fan the better, that is why I said at least..

An 80x15 30cfm is the smallest I would recommend, 92x15 is probably the best balance. Not that smaller wouldn't work in some scenarios or rejecting bigger as not better. The real point as you state is sufficient airflow arranged for good flow over the cards sinks.....

Any red mod requires it.....

To be real honest I think his problem might be MB throttling the pump based upon CPU temps. The motherboard is never going to give a full power application to the pump. Put on a CPU as it was designed, it may if the CPU gets hot enough, but it is never going to do that for the GPU.

Another thing is to get a mini GPU fan header adapter for the radiator fan, so the card can control the cooling fan, when the GPU gets hotter, the fan pushes more air.

one fan- 3/4-Pin Fan Connector (Male) to 4-Pin GPU Mini Fan Connector (Female)

two fans push-pull- Mini 4-Pin GPU to 2 x 4-Pin PWM Fan Adapter

Three fans- Mini 4-Pin GPU to 3 x 4-Pin PWM Fan Adapter
two card fans and a radiator fan or one card fan and two radiator fans controlled by the card temp sensor.

Hooked up this way the radiator fans are responsive to the heat from the GPU heat sensor and the bearingless pump is running 100% when connected to the power supply for full cooling fluid flow. That eliminates any issues with inadequate cooling.

Those adapters can also be used to control the VRM fans also.

Ofcourse, but I would not trust the fan headers on the GPU to give enough power for proper radiator fans (heck most of them pull more than I would expect the header to handle). That would also be the same reason why I would never run the pump directly from the mobo either. I used to do that, I learned from my mistake and simply hooked it directly up to the PSU.

A good way of controlling even voltage fan speeds is to set up Speedfan properly to regulate the radiator fans based on the temperature of the GPU. You could also do the same for the VRMs if you have sensors for them.

That said I think the likeliest culprit for his temps is a bad seat, the difference between using to much thermal paste and just right can be staggering. Not to mention that with all of these mods we don't have the luxury of springs and millimeter precission to help us get an even seat at the first try. So while the pump might impact the temperatures a bit, I think it's far mroe likely that the mount is bad. Remember he said he has the mobo header on max which should at least get most pumps to act somewhat close to 100%, although it might be unstable if the header is weak.
Winter Solstice
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero x370 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X OC Boost Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb x2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial m4 128GB crucial mx100 Intel 520 240GB Western Digital Green 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Blueray 123l EKWB Supremacy acrylic nickel Bitspower Acrylic DDC top Bitspower DDC top upgrade kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB DDC Heatsink black Sanyo Denki 80mmx15mm x3 Arctic F12 x15 EKWB Thermosphere acrylic nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 480 Monsta x2 Phanteks F140SP Primochill Advanced LRT Demineralized water with benzalkonium chloride 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech mcp35x Windows 10 Pro 64bit Dell Ultrasharp U2414H Logitech g710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova P2 1000w Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech g502 Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Cerwin Vega XD4 Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3317u lenovo s230u intel hd4000 4gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m500 240gb Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit 12.5" Corning gorilla glass screen, multituch, ... Lenovo Thinkpad s230u 
PowerCaseAudio
4cell 60w/h Magnesium alloy Thinkpad s230u body Terratec Aureon dual USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Winter Solstice
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero x370 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X OC Boost Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb x2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial m4 128GB crucial mx100 Intel 520 240GB Western Digital Green 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Blueray 123l EKWB Supremacy acrylic nickel Bitspower Acrylic DDC top Bitspower DDC top upgrade kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB DDC Heatsink black Sanyo Denki 80mmx15mm x3 Arctic F12 x15 EKWB Thermosphere acrylic nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 480 Monsta x2 Phanteks F140SP Primochill Advanced LRT Demineralized water with benzalkonium chloride 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech mcp35x Windows 10 Pro 64bit Dell Ultrasharp U2414H Logitech g710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova P2 1000w Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech g502 Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Cerwin Vega XD4 Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3317u lenovo s230u intel hd4000 4gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m500 240gb Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit 12.5" Corning gorilla glass screen, multituch, ... Lenovo Thinkpad s230u 
PowerCaseAudio
4cell 60w/h Magnesium alloy Thinkpad s230u body Terratec Aureon dual USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2975 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainmaker91 View Post

Ofcourse, but I would not trust the fan headers on the GPU to give enough power for proper radiator fans (heck most of them pull more than I would expect the header to handle). That would also be the same reason why I would never run the pump directly from the mobo either. I used to do that, I learned from my mistake and simply hooked it directly up to the PSU.

A good way of controlling even voltage fan speeds is to set up Speedfan properly to regulate the radiator fans based on the temperature of the GPU. You could also do the same for the VRMs if you have sensors for them.

That said I think the likeliest culprit for his temps is a bad seat, the difference between using to much thermal paste and just right can be staggering. Not to mention that with all of these mods we don't have the luxury of springs and millimeter precission to help us get an even seat at the first try. So while the pump might impact the temperatures a bit, I think it's far mroe likely that the mount is bad. Remember he said he has the mobo header on max which should at least get most pumps to act somewhat close to 100%, although it might be unstable if the header is weak.

Well there is the consideration of the number of fans the card originally was designed to control and their amperage draws. like the 7990's I work with have three fans drawing .46 amps from two headers. (850-4000rpm fans) the 7970's have two fans drawing .4 amps from one header, (900-3500 rpm fans) one must choose a fan that electrically matches the fans original electrical specs for it to work correctly. Your right on the radiator fans, but the Arctic coolers I'm using draws both the radiator and VRM fans from the cards header on the 7970 and does the same for the R9 series.

AS long as the specs are the same, find the highest airflow in the largest fan you can fit on the card for the VRM's and you should be good to go..

But I agree, I also think his problem is a seating problem, and congruent to that a contact tension issue. (not tight enough) That happen sometimes in a ziptie RedMod.
Edited by Egilman - 7/13/16 at 5:10pm
post #2976 of 3007
I'm using a chassis fan header to a SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System.The chassis fan is set to 100% at all times. Just keep in mind I'm running crossfire. Here's a link for the fan hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNW556I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


what are good vrm temps like 65 degrees ?


These are pics of the 2nd card 1st and 2nd pretty much same setup

http://prntscr.com/bsotif card layout
http://prntscr.com/bsouwr heat sinks?
http://prntscr.com/bsovjx heat sinks?

Ideas on the heatsinks?
Edited by Smarg7 - 7/14/16 at 1:56pm
post #2977 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarg7 View Post

I'm using a chassis fan header to a SilverStone PWM Fan Hub System.The chassis fan is set to 100% at all times. Just keep in mind I'm running crossfire. Here's a link for the fan hub.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VNW556I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1


what are good vrm temps like 65 degrees ?


These are pics of the 2nd card 1st and 2nd pretty much same setup

http://prntscr.com/bsotif card layout
http://prntscr.com/bsouwr heat sinks?
http://prntscr.com/bsovjx heat sinks?

Ideas on the heatsinks?

depends on the voltage, I think mine are about 50-60*c when benchmarking on stock voltage, but I swapped out the thermal pads to get better temps.

The way you put your heatsinks on top of the cooling plate may actually help with keeping them cool, but in general these are the hot components on a 7970/7950/280/280x:


the small chips and the core are the important ones as that is the VRMs.
Winter Solstice
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero x370 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X OC Boost Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb x2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial m4 128GB crucial mx100 Intel 520 240GB Western Digital Green 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Blueray 123l EKWB Supremacy acrylic nickel Bitspower Acrylic DDC top Bitspower DDC top upgrade kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB DDC Heatsink black Sanyo Denki 80mmx15mm x3 Arctic F12 x15 EKWB Thermosphere acrylic nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 480 Monsta x2 Phanteks F140SP Primochill Advanced LRT Demineralized water with benzalkonium chloride 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech mcp35x Windows 10 Pro 64bit Dell Ultrasharp U2414H Logitech g710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova P2 1000w Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech g502 Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Cerwin Vega XD4 Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3317u lenovo s230u intel hd4000 4gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m500 240gb Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit 12.5" Corning gorilla glass screen, multituch, ... Lenovo Thinkpad s230u 
PowerCaseAudio
4cell 60w/h Magnesium alloy Thinkpad s230u body Terratec Aureon dual USB 
  hide details  
Reply
Winter Solstice
(31 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen R7 1700x Asus Crosshair VI Hero x370 Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X OC Boost Crucial Ballistix Sport 16gb x2 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial m4 128GB crucial mx100 Intel 520 240GB Western Digital Green 2TB 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung Blueray 123l EKWB Supremacy acrylic nickel Bitspower Acrylic DDC top Bitspower DDC top upgrade kit 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EKWB DDC Heatsink black Sanyo Denki 80mmx15mm x3 Arctic F12 x15 EKWB Thermosphere acrylic nickel 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Alphacool 480 Monsta x2 Phanteks F140SP Primochill Advanced LRT Demineralized water with benzalkonium chloride 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Swiftech mcp35x Windows 10 Pro 64bit Dell Ultrasharp U2414H Logitech g710+ 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA Supernova P2 1000w Phanteks Enthoo Primo Logitech g502 Mionix Sargas 900 
AudioAudioAudio
Asus Xonar Essence STX Cerwin Vega XD4 Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro 250Ohm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
intel 3317u lenovo s230u intel hd4000 4gb 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Crucial m500 240gb Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit 12.5" Corning gorilla glass screen, multituch, ... Lenovo Thinkpad s230u 
PowerCaseAudio
4cell 60w/h Magnesium alloy Thinkpad s230u body Terratec Aureon dual USB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2978 of 3007
With a reseat core temps now top at 65-66 degrees vrams 62 degrees
post #2979 of 3007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarg7 View Post

With a reseat core temps now top at 65-66 degrees vrams 62 degrees

Much better. Sounds closer to ideal.
     
Reply
     
Reply
post #2980 of 3007


Remember people thermal paste not thermal adhesive. From /r/amd
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ATI Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › [Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod"