Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › [Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod" - Page 89

post #881 of 3006
I was running occt on a oc of 850 1300 unlocked shader 1.11v n 10% powertune. Temps were in the mid to low 40s all I have is a 200mm side fan blowing on the card from the side
Edited by richie_2010 - 3/2/13 at 1:51pm
post #882 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by richie_2010 View Post

The mod is transferable to other cards aswell where as new cards need new blocks adding cost all the time

this i understand but when you buy a 300-500$ video card and a 50-100$ waterblock, im sure you wont be upgrading any time soon because it will take a long to get a card that will outperform yours by far
post #883 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrWhopper View Post

this i understand but when you buy a 300-500$ video card and a 50-100$ waterblock, im sure you wont be upgrading any time soon because it will take a long to get a card that will outperform yours by far
Very true its also very convenient for people on a budget and the lower risk of problems n ease of use.
I would be nervous going full custom loop more things to go wrong
post #884 of 3006
@jrWhopper

sometimes after doing the mod people do go to full water cooling..
however there are many satisfied modders that solved a very complex problem ( heat in the computer and very hot video cards) by doing this worldwide mod.

take some time to read the previous posts for a better explanation. Starting with the first page as a lot of information is there.

also look at the other forum for nvidia cards this is a very popular mod..

with so many people doing the mod, and very happy with the results possibly they have done a lot of research and decided this is the way to go.

with new watercooling ktis comming out possibly there will be a better solution. if and when it does im sure there will be a lot of attention brought to it.

However i beg to differ that you can find a very good system to solve the problem for 120.00 that cools multiple items in the computer. when you start adding up the extras and there are many, The price is much higher as anyone with a full water cooling sytem will tell you.

however if you want to debate the issue im sure there are better places to do it.
do a search on ocn and im sure you will find a current debate going on somewhere.

If on the other hand you want to find out information about the mod you will not find a better forum with helpful people to assist you.
SunsetGrill
(24 items)
 
Trinity
(3 items)
 
SunsetGrill
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon HD 6950 AMD Radeon HD 6950 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
wd black 1 terra wd black 1 terra corsair 256gig ssd external usb3 wd 3 terra 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
blu-ray burner Thermaltake water 2.0 Extreme (cpu) Thermaltake water 2.0 pro 2gpu 1clc with corsai... windows7 home pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung T260 25" ms gamer  Seasonic 750x gold Coolermaster Haf 22 Modified 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX-518 Duh this is nonsence. belkin onboard but will install sb titanium logitech 5.1 thx 
CPUMotherboardGraphics
AMD K15 FM2A85X Extreme6 AMD Radeon HD 7660D + 6670 Dual Graphics 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon HD 6950 AMD Radeon HD 6950 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
wd black 1 terra wd black 1 terra corsair 256gig ssd external usb3 wd 3 terra 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
blu-ray burner Thermaltake water 2.0 Extreme (cpu) Thermaltake water 2.0 pro 2gpu 1clc with corsai... windows7 home pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung T260 25" ms gamer  Seasonic 750x gold Coolermaster Haf 22 Modified 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX-518 Duh this is nonsence. belkin onboard but will install sb titanium logitech 5.1 thx 
  hide details  
Reply
SunsetGrill
(24 items)
 
Trinity
(3 items)
 
SunsetGrill
(24 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon HD 6950 AMD Radeon HD 6950 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
wd black 1 terra wd black 1 terra corsair 256gig ssd external usb3 wd 3 terra 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
blu-ray burner Thermaltake water 2.0 Extreme (cpu) Thermaltake water 2.0 pro 2gpu 1clc with corsai... windows7 home pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung T260 25" ms gamer  Seasonic 750x gold Coolermaster Haf 22 Modified 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX-518 Duh this is nonsence. belkin onboard but will install sb titanium logitech 5.1 thx 
CPUMotherboardGraphics
AMD K15 FM2A85X Extreme6 AMD Radeon HD 7660D + 6670 Dual Graphics 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8120 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon HD 6950 AMD Radeon HD 6950 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 Mushkin 2133 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
wd black 1 terra wd black 1 terra corsair 256gig ssd external usb3 wd 3 terra 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
blu-ray burner Thermaltake water 2.0 Extreme (cpu) Thermaltake water 2.0 pro 2gpu 1clc with corsai... windows7 home pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
samsung T260 25" ms gamer  Seasonic 750x gold Coolermaster Haf 22 Modified 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech MX-518 Duh this is nonsence. belkin onboard but will install sb titanium logitech 5.1 thx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #885 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset1 View Post

@jrWhopper

sometimes after doing the mod people do go to full water cooling..
however there are many satisfied modders that solved a very complex problem ( heat in the computer and very hot video cards) by doing this worldwide mod.

take some time to read the previous posts for a better explanation. Starting with the first page as a lot of information is there.

also look at the other forum for nvidia cards this is a very popular mod..

with so many people doing the mod, and very happy with the results possibly they have done a lot of research and decided this is the way to go.

with new watercooling ktis comming out possibly there will be a better solution. if and when it does im sure there will be a lot of attention brought to it.

However i beg to differ that you can find a very good system to solve the problem for 120.00 that cools multiple items in the computer. when you start adding up the extras and there are many, The price is much higher as anyone with a full water cooling sytem will tell you.

however if you want to debate the issue im sure there are better places to do it.
do a search on ocn and im sure you will find a current debate going on somewhere.

If on the other hand you want to find out information about the mod you will not find a better forum with helpful people to assist you.

no debate but

i never said once you could buy a kit that would cool multiple components, youre just using this to make my argument invalid
cpu cooler has nothing to do with gpu cooler, were only talking about gpu

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16126/ex-wat-214/XSPC_Rasa_450_RS120_Universal_CPU_Water_Cooling_Kit_w_Free_Dead-Water.html - $190, pump, reservoir, cpu block, radiator, tubing, clamps, hoses

you can sell your water block and buy a gpu block, now you have a real liquid cooling system that you can expand with.

im just trying to understand why people made a purchase of 50-100$ to be limited to never expand instead of 100+/- to be able to expand. not hating on anyone just trying to understand

for example, my card is a 7970 and runs cool, i dont know if i would benefit off adding a antec 620 on it and seperate vrm passive heatsinks considering the cooler on my card is huge and has 2 fans already + massive heatpipes,

but i know if i buy a real plate and add a radiator to my loop it would run cooler, yeah ive read alot, but its mostly opinions and other peoples builds wont help if were in places with different ambient temperatures smile.gif
Edited by JrWhopper - 3/2/13 at 2:17pm
post #886 of 3006
Thread Starter 
Cheap water kits are a waste of time and have no warranty or very cheap parts.

When I did the mod I priced up a full kit and it was going to be $380 for a very basic kit with 1 radiator and pump with 2 universal gpu blocks.
Where I did the mod and got a separate pump and radiator for each card for way cheaper then that, So the they run cooler since 2 radiators are better then 1.
Closed loop cooler also have a warranty for leakage and pump failure. And cover any hardware damaged caused by such failures.

They have been going strong for over a year now with the gpus at there clock limit and staying under 50C.
post #887 of 3006
I know this thread is HD6XXX series land but anyone here find a good VRM heatsink that fits the 7970? My Accelero is giving me great temps max i usually see is 55C with 60C being the hottest, but my VRMs are running very hot and i need a better heatsink for them.
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #888 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

I know this thread is HD6XXX series land but anyone here find a good VRM heatsink that fits the 7970? My Accelero is giving me great temps max i usually see is 55C with 60C being the hottest, but my VRMs are running very hot and i need a better heatsink for them.

Gelid icy 6900
also get some Fujipoly 1.5mm
seems like the 1mm Gelid provided wasn't touching the VRM.
post #889 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkim View Post

Gelid icy 6900
also get some Fujipoly 1.5mm
seems like the 1mm Gelid provided wasn't touching the VRM.
those Sinks will fit a reference 7970? What's the exact name of those thermal pads? I couldn't find any Fujipoly 1.5mm on ebay?

thanks thumb.gif
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
Reply
post #890 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

those Sinks will fit a reference 7970? What's the exact name of those thermal pads? I couldn't find any Fujipoly 1.5mm on ebay?

thanks thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeworthy View Post

Just got this :

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/GELID-Icy-Vision-AMD-HD6900-Rev-2-PCB-6950-6970-VRM-Cooling-Enhancement-Kit-/160709700058?pt=US_Video_Card_GPU_Cooling&hash=item256b0b69da&_uhb=1#ht_2666wt_1398

Works pretty well. Even though it says its for 6900 series it works on my 7970, no clearance issues either.


FrozenCPU sells both.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ATI Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › [Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod"