Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › [Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod" - Page 90

post #891 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgjet View Post

Cheap water kits are a waste of time and have no warranty or very cheap parts.

When I did the mod I priced up a full kit and it was going to be $380 for a very basic kit with 1 radiator and pump with 2 universal gpu blocks.
Where I did the mod and got a separate pump and radiator for each card for way cheaper then that, So the they run cooler since 2 radiators are better then 1.
Closed loop cooler also have a warranty for leakage and pump failure. And cover any hardware damaged caused by such failures.

They have been going strong for over a year now with the gpus at there clock limit and staying under 50C.

and you will spend months having the manufacturer try to replace your mobo/gpu and will only pay up to a certain amount , example, they will give you $150 for your $600 7970.

you should look into threads about this kind of stuff

i see where your coming from but, you are unrealistic to think you cant buy a good water cooling kit for $100+/- ..... you really dont need more than 450lp/h for one card, and the kit i posted was a perfect example
post #892 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkim View Post


FrozenCPU sells both.
i was just checking the prices and it would cost around $40 with shipping included.

The Gelid icy 6900 kit seems to come with thermal pads of it's own. If i buy it off ebay it would cost me ~20 with shipping included. Can't i just use the ones that come with the kit? I would like to save $20 especially after this cooler cost me $90 already. redface.gif


Couldn't MX4 thermal paste work instead of thermal pads?
Edited by th3illusiveman - 3/2/13 at 5:38pm
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #893 of 3006
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrWhopper View Post

and you will spend months having the manufacturer try to replace your mobo/gpu and will only pay up to a certain amount , example, they will give you $150 for your $600 7970.

you should look into threads about this kind of stuff

i see where your coming from but, you are unrealistic to think you cant buy a good water cooling kit for $100+/- ..... you really dont need more than 450lp/h for one card, and the kit i posted was a perfect example


Atleast thats some money back, Better then being left with nothing and even for the manufacturers to be willing to cover any sort of warranty means they have confidence in there product.

Here is whats available water cooling kit wise in NZ
http://pricespy.co.nz/category.php?k=1054

Then if you want a USD price its 0.82 USD to 1NZD.
We really get shafted with prices and availability down here.
post #894 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

i was just checking the prices and it would cost around $40 with shipping included.

The Gelid icy 6900 kit seems to come with thermal pads of it's own. If i buy it off ebay it would cost me ~20 with shipping included. Can't i just use the ones that come with the kit? I would like to save $20 especially after this cooler cost me $90 already. redface.gif


Couldn't MX4 thermal paste work instead of thermal pads?

If you want.

As I've said, the thermal pads provided by Gelid doesn't seem to touch the VRM.
And TIMs wouldn't work because there's a huge gaps between the heatsink and the VRM, unless you put TIMs on the pads.
post #895 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkim View Post

If you want.

As I've said, the thermal pads provided by Gelid doesn't seem to touch the VRM.
And TIMs wouldn't work because there's a huge gaps between the heatsink and the VRM, unless you put TIMs on the pads.
Ah, i misunderstood.

I think i will try it out and if indeed it does fail to fit, i will get the fujipoly pads. Have you tried this?
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #896 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

Ah, i misunderstood.

I think i will try it out and if indeed it does fail to fit, i will get the fujipoly pads. Have you tried this?

Not the Fujipolys, but I did have to use the stock cooler's thermal pad along with Gelid's pads to touch the VRM.
post #897 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkim View Post

Not the Fujipolys, but I did have to use the stock cooler's thermal pad along with Gelid's pads to touch the VRM.
what are your temps? biggrin.gif
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #898 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

what are your temps? biggrin.gif

Apparently I've installed the 620 on too tight and caused it not to boot up, so I wasn't able to read the temps.

I'm planning to buy Fujipoly 1-1.5mm for VRM and 0.5 for VRAM, since my Enzotech's 3M tapes were dirty and Fujipoly's tapes are better.


This is the Gelid 6900 VRM heatsink.
Gap is 1mm.



post #899 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSkim View Post

Apparently I've installed the 620 on too tight and caused it not to boot up, so I wasn't able to read the temps.

I'm planning to buy Fujipoly 1-1.5mm for VRM and 0.5 for VRAM, since my Enzotech's 3M tapes were dirty and Fujipoly's tapes are better.


This is the Gelid 6900 VRM heatsink.
Gap is 1mm.



Ah, i thought the heatsink was completely flat which was why i was having a hard time understanding why the pads couldn't fit, still though I thought the VRMs themselves were about 1mm in height or something close to it.
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
Bender
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5-2500k @ 4.6Ghz Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Sapphire AMD R9 290X Tri-X (1050/1300mhz)  EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 (How do you OC?) 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
8GB 1600Mhz OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD OCZ Vertex 3 240GB SSD windows 10 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus MG279Q Logitech G510  Corsair TX750 CM II 690 Advanced 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
CM Sentinel Advance  some big corsair one beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 250 Ohm SoundBlaster Z Soundcard 
  hide details  
Reply
post #900 of 3006
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3illusiveman View Post

Ah, i thought the heatsink was completely flat which was why i was having a hard time understanding why the pads couldn't fit, still though I thought the VRMs themselves were about 1mm in height or something close to it.

I received my thermal pads so Ill update.

I used this : http://www.ebay.ca/itm/261119715332?var=560166702482&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_685wt_1163

Using furmark, before :

VRM 1 & 2

Idle : 37
Load : 87

After :

Idle : 30
Load : 64

This was on stock btw so 1000/1425 at 1.112v

edit: I mentioned in my last posts that I had my radiator blowing the hot air directly at the the vrm fans and the vrms so take that into account.
Edited by Spongeworthy - 3/3/13 at 12:26am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: ATI Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › ATI Cooling › [Official] AMD/ATI GPU Mod Club - AKA "The Red Mod"