Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TF]Filesonic Kills File-Sharing Service After MegaUpload Arrests
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TF]Filesonic Kills File-Sharing Service After MegaUpload Arrests - Page 18

post #171 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Industries are slow to change. I would agree, the entertainment industry was historically incredibly slow in reacting to this change and the migration to digital distribution methods. However, the digital distribution methods available today address 99% of the consumer market's needs, yet there's still a problem with the illegal distribution of copyrighted media. As almost always is the case, when some people are able to do something, especially when it comes to getting something for nothing, and they'll do it and make up some excuse for it later. "The industry is lame." "I can't get this movie in 1080p where I live." "This season of the show isn't available where I live." So on and so forth. Well, you know what? You just don't get it then. Is it unfair? Sure. Nobody gets everything they want all the time. IMHO, a lot of it stems from entitlement issues. Just because you want something and it's not legally available doesn't entitle you to get it via illegal means, and it doesn't excuse you if you get caught. And it doesn't excuse the entities like MU and Filesonic that facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted material and (until now) at best turned a blind eye.

Please don't take the above rant as directed toward you personally--it's not, but it's aggravating that people continue to use the same lame excuses for doing something that is clearly against the law. It's not like this is a life-and-death situation. Well, maybe it is if you're emo, but for the rest of the normal population it's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

So intellectual property, by extension, also has no value associated with it either?

Oh absolutely not, you seem to not understand that people pay for premium megaupload accounts. Why can't the "media" offer a service where I pay 35$ for a 6 month pass to download as many tv shows, movies and music as I want? They won't because their greedy ignorant fools. Clearly megaupload was making lots of profit, but I guess that's just not enough to cover the high salaries of the millionaire actors and executives in the media.

So yes, "intellectual property" is worth something, its worth the cost of a premium megaupload account. That's what the competition is right now and that's what people want to pay for.

The only company that seems to get it right now is steam.
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
i7 3820
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3820 AsRock X79 Extreme6 Sapphire 6950 2gb Sapphire 6950 2gb 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB)  Crucial M4 128gb LG HD-DVD/Blu-Ray Combo Drive Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Pro 64bit Samsung XL2370 Cooler Master Quick Fire (cherry blues) Corsair TX850M 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Fractal Define R3 SS Xai SS 4HD Asus Xonar Essence ST 
  hide details  
Reply
post #172 of 249
thinking.gif
post #173 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1337 View Post

Why don't they shut google down? A lot of links to illegal content would disappear.

Because Google doesn't host the content, it merely provides links to the websites. Providing a link to illegal content is not illegal in itself. Furthermore Google is already doing what the FBI would want to be done anyway, by removing links to illegal content that would be considered high profile (ie. child pornography).
Quote:
If linking to someone hosting copyrighted material is illegal then perhaps saying to a friend of mine "Hey, I saw some guy on the corner of North St and Common St selling pirated copies of Superman Returns." should also be illegal, since I am pointing my friend in the direction of someone who is breaking the law.
post #174 of 249
I find them doing that very shallow and pedantic biggrin.gif
My sexy rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500 Biostar H61ML evga gtx970 ssc 2.0 8gb G.Skill sniper ram 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x wd caviar black hp Corsair H60 windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
32 inch HP envy 2560x1440p Asus VE247H 24" 1080P razer black widow antec earthwatts 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 advanced g700s ripper XL NPM5 studio monitors  
AudioAudioAudio
logitech G930 gaming head set AD700 sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
My sexy rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500 Biostar H61ML evga gtx970 ssc 2.0 8gb G.Skill sniper ram 1333 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2x wd caviar black hp Corsair H60 windows 7 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
32 inch HP envy 2560x1440p Asus VE247H 24" 1080P razer black widow antec earthwatts 750W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
HAF 932 advanced g700s ripper XL NPM5 studio monitors  
AudioAudioAudio
logitech G930 gaming head set AD700 sound blaster z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #175 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Industries are slow to change. I would agree, the entertainment industry was historically incredibly slow in reacting to this change and the migration to digital distribution methods. However, the digital distribution methods available today address 99% of the consumer market's needs, yet there's still a problem with the illegal distribution of copyrighted media. As almost always is the case, when some people are able to do something, especially when it comes to getting something for nothing, and they'll do it and make up some excuse for it later. "The industry is lame." "I can't get this movie in 1080p where I live." "This season of the show isn't available where I live." So on and so forth. Well, you know what? You just don't get it then. Is it unfair? Sure. Nobody gets everything they want all the time. IMHO, a lot of it stems from entitlement issues. Just because you want something and it's not legally available doesn't entitle you to get it via illegal means, and it doesn't excuse you if you get caught. And it doesn't excuse the entities like MU and Filesonic that facilitate the illegal distribution of copyrighted material and (until now) at best turned a blind eye.

Please don't take the above rant as directed toward you personally--it's not, but it's aggravating that people continue to use the same lame excuses for doing something that is clearly against the law. It's not like this is a life-and-death situation. Well, maybe it is if you're emo, but for the rest of the normal population it's not.

I would categorize the freeloading for the sake of free stuff an entitlement issue. But my complaints are that I(consumer) have the means to buy a product that can exists (obviously since it's being provided) but is not in order to protect a company from competition and grant it an undue amount of control over the market. That type of action is what kills capitalism from the inside out...it stifles the very core of competition and innovation. It also makes no business sense to limit your products when you could be selling them and making more money. Right now, this stands not as a protection of intellectual property/copyright but more as a protection of a failed business plan. No one says that piracy will die, and we know it is because of the freeloaders...but if you provide the services and product the right way you can greatly limit it's impact and probably make more than if you treated every customer as a pirate instead of a customer.

I'll say it again...I would have no problem with the fileservers being forced to change their access distribution methods [IE 1 download of said file an hour tops; You store/access your files and your files alone(no need to police for piracy if they can't distribute the files fast or easily) with a caveat to possible single use/single file passes for another user(thus if a person is requesting from your server a very large amount of passes to be made for a file...RED FLAG!] so long as the MPAA/RIAA and game industries stopped wasting their money trying to plug a black hole(freeloader piracy) when they could just turn their damn engines on(provide service to the rest of the pirates that makes piracy no longer competitive) and fly out of it before it's too late(gain money from your product instead of lose it through litigation and discouraging the customer from paying IE DRM)!
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #176 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyparker1337 View Post

Because Google doesn't host the content, it merely provides links to the websites. Providing a link to illegal content is not illegal in itself. Furthermore Google is already doing what the FBI would want to be done anyway, by removing links to illegal content that would be considered high profile (ie. child pornography).
Quote:
If linking to someone hosting copyrighted material is illegal then perhaps saying to a friend of mine "Hey, I saw some guy on the corner of North St and Common St selling pirated copies of Superman Returns." should also be illegal, since I am pointing my friend in the direction of someone who is breaking the law.

Then how do they get torrent sites? since the copyrighted content doesn't go through the site. Fileserve, Filesonic and all them did remove infringing content from their servers... And copyrighted stuff goes onto youtube all the time..
post #177 of 249

 

 
Quote:
Originally Posted by computerparts View Post

I can just see an uprising coming.


Viva la revolución. 

 

 

post #178 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post




Viva la revolución. 


I SAY WE OCCUPY THE FBI

all that power in one place its not fair i want to arrest people thumb.gif
post #179 of 249
There will be hell to pay if Mediafire is taken down.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 @3.71GHz ASUS Rampage Formula x48 EVGA GTX 570 Corsair Dominator 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 640GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2410 Corsair HX1000 
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Q9550 @3.71GHz ASUS Rampage Formula x48 EVGA GTX 570 Corsair Dominator 4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, WD Black 1TB, WD Blue 640GB Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Dell U2410 Corsair HX1000 
Case
Cooler Master HAF-X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #180 of 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by NKrader View Post


I SAY WE OCCUPY THE FBI
all that power in one place its not fair i want to arrest people thumb.gif


Me too, but the right people.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TF]Filesonic Kills File-Sharing Service After MegaUpload Arrests