Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › {ZDNET] How Apple is sabotaging an open standard for digital books
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

{ZDNET] How Apple is sabotaging an open standard for digital books - Page 7

post #61 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post

What competition is being stifled again?

Those of Amazon, Google, and every other independent publisher of ebooks. It makes it so that an ebook stays on the Apple platform and is completely incompatible with software that isn't made by Apple. This in itself isn't bad, until we think about the writers. Writers who write books for ibooks will be stuck on the ibooks platform until they port the book to another format, which can cost a good deal of money and time. This puts writers in a bind who write for Apple, because it keeps them from distributing their books on other platforms. The writers end up suffering because Apple decided to dump the open epub standard. In addition, the competition won't be able to get the books either because Apple won't give their writers the tools to port the books to another format. The writers will have to do it themselves.
Ye Old Desktop
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.24 GHz ASUS M4A77D PNY GTX 470 7 GB DDR2 RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
500 GB Hitachi 250 GB Maxtor (PATA) x16 DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Professional x68 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hannspree HF255HPB Logitech G15 (2nd Gen) Corsair TX 650 V2 Antec 300 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
  hide details  
Reply
Ye Old Desktop
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.24 GHz ASUS M4A77D PNY GTX 470 7 GB DDR2 RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
500 GB Hitachi 250 GB Maxtor (PATA) x16 DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Professional x68 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hannspree HF255HPB Logitech G15 (2nd Gen) Corsair TX 650 V2 Antec 300 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
  hide details  
Reply
post #62 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post

Thank you. That is all I'm asking. There is no monopoly. No competition is being stifled. No one is forcing schools to adopt iPads. No one is forcing publishers to create iTextbooks. No one is forcing schools to throw away their old textbooks in favor of iPad versions. No one is forcing authors to use iBooks. They all have more than one option and will for the very foreseeable future.

Agreed, there is no monopoly at the moment. But it has been the case historically that in similar situations, the companies have practiced potentially anti-competitive actions, and actions that violate anti-trust laws. As I mentioned, the danger comes in how Apple behaves with this, and how they further their way into the educational system. There's a huge potential for a complete take-over. But still, hasn't happened yet.

If I were an author, based on what I understand from the ibooks agreement, I wouldn't see it as a good thing, but at the moment there are plenty of alternative ebook plublication options.

I wonder how long it will take for a more-serious push for other ebook services--which I guess is pretty much Kindle at this point--into the education system.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #63 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rothen View Post

Those of Amazon, Google, and every other independent publisher of ebooks. It makes it so that an ebook stays on the Apple platform and is completely incompatible with software that isn't made by Apple. This in itself isn't bad, until we think about the writers. Writers who write books for ibooks will be stuck on the ibooks platform until they port the book to another format, which can cost a good deal of money and time. This puts writers in a bind who write for Apple, because it keeps them from distributing their books on other platforms. The writers end up suffering because Apple decided to dump the open epub standard. In addition, the competition won't be able to get the books either because Apple won't give their writers the tools to port the books to another format. The writers will have to do it themselves.

It's no different than writing an app for iOS and Android if that's the case. But like you said, Google is a competitor, Amazon too. These are major, major companies with the resources to get into the interactive textbook world. What's stopping them??? It's not Apple. So should Apple wait for everyone else to jump on the textbook bandwagon before starting their own thing? Honest question, because that's what you guys seem to expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Agreed, there is no monopoly at the moment. But it has been the case historically that in similar situations, the companies have practiced potentially anti-competitive actions, and actions that violate anti-trust laws. As I mentioned, the danger comes in how Apple behaves with this, and how they further their way into the educational system. There's a huge potential for a complete take-over. But still, hasn't happened yet.
If I were an author, based on what I understand from the ibooks agreement, I wouldn't see it as a good thing, but at the moment there are plenty of alternative ebook plublication options.
I wonder how long it will take for a more-serious push for other ebook services--which I guess is pretty much Kindle at this point--into the education system.

Time will tell. I said before the terms are a little onerous. But I'm no author...I don't know what the terms are like with other arrangements.
Edited by ForumViewer - 1/26/12 at 6:29am
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel 3.06 GHz C2D Radeon HD4670 12GB 1067MHz DDR3 1TB 7200RPM 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingOS
8x SuperDrive Air Air OS X 10.7.2 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
27" 2560 x 1440 LED Wireless BT 310W PSU Aluminum Enclosure 
MouseMouse Pad
Magic Mouse None 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Maximus Formula NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 G.Skill 2x4GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
3x 500GB WD  Lite-On Air Windows 7 x64 HP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Gateway 24" 1900x1200 Razr Lycosa Corsair 750M Antec P180 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razr DeathAdder Razr eXactMat Creative X-Fi Titanium 
  hide details  
Reply
post #64 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForumViewer View Post

It's no different than writing an app for iOS and Android if that's the case. But like you said, Google is a competitor, Amazon too. These are major, major companies with the resources to get into the interactive textbook world. What's stopping them??? It's not Apple. So should Apple wait for everyone else to jump on the textbook bandwagon before starting their own thing? Honest question, because that's what you guys seem to expect.

I thought the difference is that with writing an app, that publisher can write the same app for a different platform, but with the ibooks agreement, that author cannot author that same book for another platform, giving Apple exclusivity to offering it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #65 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

I thought the difference is that with writing an app, that publisher can write the same app for a different platform, but with the ibooks agreement, that author cannot author that same book for another platform, giving Apple exclusivity to offering it.

This seems to be the major point of contention at the moment. I've been reading online around, and it seems like B&M publishers (don't know about amazon and other places we can "self" publish) often own the work, not the author.

Let's research other e-book publishers EULA then we can decide weather to bring the tar, feathers, and pitchforks!
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
AMD Transplant
(11 items)
 
To be a NAS
(13 items)
 
Death Kühler
(14 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965BE GA-78LMT-S2P MSI TFIII 7950 Corsair Vengence 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Noctua NH-D14 Win7 Pro FX2490HD 
PowerCaseMouse
Seasonic X660 Antec Three Hundred Saitek Rat 7 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Gateway GM5072 AMD HD5550 2.0 Gb 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Seagate Barracuda 500Gb Samsung FX2490 MS Keyboard 3000 300w generic 
Mouse
MS Intellipoint 3000 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k GigaByte Z68M-D2H-B3 MSI 560 Ti TFIII Corsair Vengance 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 830 Antec Khuler 920 Win7 HP Samsung FX2490 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Keyboard 3000 Seasonic X-660 Antec Three Hundred Microsoft Mouse 3000 
Mouse PadAudio
None - Blue Track baby Senn HD428 
  hide details  
Reply
post #66 of 75
Can someone clarify this for me?

I am not an Apple guy, other than my wife and daughter having iphones and macbook pro's we haven't been involved in the tablet side.

I am planning on grabbing my wife an Ipad for her birthday next week.

So the question is, will there be any issues with her using the tablet for books of whichever format? She has a large quantity of Epub books on her old Kobo that I would be transferring over to the ipad.
Murder Box II
(18 items)
 
Home PC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6800K Asus X99-A II Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Edition G. Skill Trident Z - 32GB/ 3200Hz/CL14/Quad  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Corsair H100i V2 - w/ML120 Pro Fans Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Z35P 1440P G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Merc  EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Corsair 450D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Inwin Batmat Aluminum Sound Blaster Z Logitech Z906 - 5.1 Maxnomic Commander S-III Gaming Chair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3440 Asus B85M-E/CSM EVGA GTX 950 Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB/3TB x 2/2TB WD Green LG CH12LS28 Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 75" TV.... GooBang Doo MX3 Corsair CX430 V2 NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module 
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3 
  hide details  
Reply
Murder Box II
(18 items)
 
Home PC
(15 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6800K Asus X99-A II Zotac 1080Ti AMP Extreme Edition G. Skill Trident Z - 32GB/ 3200Hz/CL14/Quad  
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB Corsair H100i V2 - w/ML120 Pro Fans Windows 10 Home 64 Bit Acer Z35P 1440P G-Sync 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Steelseries Merc  EVGA Supernova G2 1000W Corsair 450D Mionix Naos 7000 
Mouse PadAudioAudioOther
Inwin Batmat Aluminum Sound Blaster Z Logitech Z906 - 5.1 Maxnomic Commander S-III Gaming Chair 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel G3440 Asus B85M-E/CSM EVGA GTX 950 Patriot Viper 3 - 2x8GB 1600hz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 850 - 500GB + 4TB/3TB x 2/2TB WD Green LG CH12LS28 Bluray Scythe Big Shuriken 2 w/Corsair SP120 Fan Windows 10 64 Bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung 75" TV.... GooBang Doo MX3 Corsair CX430 V2 NMEDIAPC HTPC 6000B w/ Pro LCD Module 
Mouse
GooBang Doo MX3 
  hide details  
Reply
post #67 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocturin View Post

This seems to be the major point of contention at the moment. I've been reading online around, and it seems like B&M publishers (don't know about amazon and other places we can "self" publish) often own the work, not the author.
Let's research other e-book publishers EULA then we can decide weather to bring the tar, feathers, and pitchforks!

It's true--when an author publishes work under a publisher, that publisher gets the right to it--but the user does not need to be forced to shop at a specific, single store to buy the books since most book stores have sold books from all sorts of publishers. Also, physical book publishing contracts are not usually indefinite. From the way I read the ibooks agreement, the contract is indefinite/permanent, and once the author submits their ibook, apple has it for keepsies. If apple at least were discussing some sort of sub-contracting deals (for reasonable prices) for other vendors to sell ibook-authored books to allow the sale of books published with ibooks through multiple vendors, that would alleviate some of the concern--but of course they don't want to do that because they want to retain exclusivity for it.

@ Robilar, the ipad does support various epubs through various apps available in the store. IIRC, the apple reader app does not allow you to open, say, kindle books, or google books, and vice versa. But anything written with an open-standard should be readable in many of the various ebook apps. What formats/sources are these epubs from?
Edited by guyladouche - 1/26/12 at 7:42am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

I thought the difference is that with writing an app, that publisher can write the same app for a different platform, but with the ibooks agreement, that author cannot author that same book for another platform, giving Apple exclusivity to offering it.
That's not it at all. Apple's EULA is saying this and only this: if you make a book with iBooks Author you can only distribute the output to the iBooks Store and not to the competition. You're welcome to make the same book in other software and distribute it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robilar View Post

Can someone clarify this for me?
I am not an Apple guy, other than my wife and daughter having iphones and macbook pro's we haven't been involved in the tablet side.
I am planning on grabbing my wife an Ipad for her birthday next week.
So the question is, will there be any issues with her using the tablet for books of whichever format? She has a large quantity of Epub books on her old Kobo that I would be transferring over to the ipad.
I've downloaded free ePub books before and read them on iBooks. This discussion is primarily about textbooks, and Apple's eula preventing you from using their free iBooks Author software to create a book that will be distributed to the competition.

Just in case you didn't know: the iPad 3 is coming out soon. It's been about ten months now since the iPad 2 was released and it's on a 11-12 month cycle. It should be released in the next month or two. You might want to wait and give your wife the newer model or maybe not, but I thought I'd let you know. Reference: MacRumors Buyers Guide

EDIT: Here's a quote from Apple's iBooks FAQ:
Quote:
iBooks supports the industry-leading ePub digital book file type. You can sync freely available ePub files to iBooks using iTunes, or purchase or download books from the iBookstore. iBooks also supports PDFs, which can be manually synced to iBooks. In addition to ePub and PDFs, iBooks 2.0 and later also provides support for the new iBooks format used in iBooks Author. Other digital book file types are not supported at this time.

Edited by steelbom - 1/26/12 at 8:11pm
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #69 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

That's not it at all. Apple's EULA is saying this and only this: if you make a book with iBooks Author you can only distribute the output to the iBooks Store and not to the competition. You're welcome to make the same book in other software and distribute it.

I got you--I misunderstood when I read through the eula content. I thought that the material was constrained to only being distributed through apple. Turns out, that only applies to the ibooks published version. The author can re-publish their content with some other ebooks publisher if they wish, and sell it for money.

My mistake! thumb.gif
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #70 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

I got you--I misunderstood when I read through the eula content. I thought that the material was constrained to only being distributed through apple. Turns out, that only applies to the ibooks published version. The author can re-publish their content with some other ebooks publisher if they wish, and sell it for money.
My mistake! thumb.gif
Yep, that's it.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › {ZDNET] How Apple is sabotaging an open standard for digital books