Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [IGN] Xbox 720 to be 6 times as powerful compared to current gen systems
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[IGN] Xbox 720 to be 6 times as powerful compared to current gen systems - Page 42  

post #411 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by alawadhi3000 View Post

HD6850 TDP (127W) is too much for a console.
The question is:- Do you need 1080p on a console??
When you game on a PC you need to sit very close to the monitor (like 2-3 feets) and therefore you'll apperciate the high resolution.
Consoles are meant to be played on HDTV, therefore you'll sit at least 5 feets away, therefore you don't need much resolution.
In my situation, I have a 37" 1080p HDTV and I sit 6.5 feets away, according to the chart below I barely notice the difference between 720p and 1080p. thumb.gif
410

A 6850 is not too much at all. The first generation 360 chipset was essentially a 200w box measuring total board power.

You can get a 7970 within consoles when you remove the stuff consoles don't need and under clock. You have a 190w 7970 that will then consume under 150w and 50w left over for the CPU if we consider last gen power constrains.

There is no evidence that will suggest consoles TDP will be limited to 200w like before. I'm hoping it will increase linearly, but expensive cooling may limit what is possible.
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
Po' Pimpin'
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
i5 2500k @ stock Biostar TZ68K+ [A3] 4GB  Sandforce 1222 64GB SSD 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG 22x DVD-+RW  Stock Windows 7 x64 Acer S211HL 1080p 
PowerCaseMouse
600w Diablotek Linkworld Electronic Inland 
  hide details  
post #412 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

A 6850 is not too much at all. The first generation 360 chipset was essentially a 200w box measuring total board power.
You can get a 7970 within consoles when you remove the stuff consoles don't need and under clock. You have a 190w 7970 that will then consume under 150w and 50w left over for the CPU if we consider last gen power constrains.
There is no evidence that will suggest consoles TDP will be limited to 200w like before. I'm hoping it will increase linearly, but expensive cooling may limit what is possible.

They wont use a 7970 in the 720.

the 7850/70 has a 95w TDP which has the same spec as the 6950/70.

IMHO they will stick with crappier gpu's to;

A. Hold back gaming on consoles so developers are limited and wont go crazy like they do on pc
B. Make is cheaper for them to build and then giving themselves more profit but marking up the console itself

my 2cents.gif
post #413 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisguitar View Post

They wont use a 7970 in the 720.
the 7850/70 has a 95w TDP which has the same spec as the 6950/70.
IMHO they will stick with crappier gpu's to;
A. Hold back gaming on consoles so developers are limited and wont go crazy like they do on pc
B. Make is cheaper for them to build and then giving themselves more profit but marking up the console itself
my 2cents.gif

Because people will buy a console with a $500 GPU in it. The price will be ridiculous. There's a reason consoles are the most attractive market for developers - there's more money in it. If anything, us PC users are the losers. However, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for buying a PC.
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
AiryBox
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H Sapphire 7950 Vapor-X Corsair Vengeance 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Hitachi Desktar 7200RPM 1TB Samsung 830 128GB Corsair H100i W10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ 24" Qpad Mk-50 Cherry MX Red CM V700 NZXT H440 
  hide details  
post #414 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobrjett View Post

Did someone suggest having a 7970 in a console?
HAHAHAHA what a muppet (not you of course, whoever suggested it)
LIKE THEY WOULD PUT A $500 CARD IN A CONSOLE THEY WANT TO BE CHEAP AND APPEAL TO THE MAINSTREAM tongue.gif
By the end of this consoles run this 6670 will no doubt be performing at a 7970 level anyhow.
5 years ago the top of the line graphics card was I believe an 8800gt when the xbox was released? An 8800gt would not have ANYTHING on an xbox 360 now. 8800gt is probably lowest settings without any anti aliasing on most new games, and an xbox probably runs equivilant to low settings and some forms of anti aliasing with some games, I would rather have an xbox then a 8800gt graphics wise. (not in real though because I like fps)
edit: though choosing an expensive card, they are likely to sell millions and millions of these so they could buy in bulk and reduce costs severely...
Hmm... I would rather see a 6870 in there.

my 8800gt was only retired due to not being able to MAX games.. it still ran 90% of games on high at 720P and up at playable rates...soooo, to be blunt... You're wrong... KTHX smile.gif
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
Mr.Hoover
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon II x4 620 3.5Ghz L3 1.4 unlocked Asus M4A77D Msi Gtx 460 Hawk stock voltage (830/1660, 2130) Ocz Sli 900 Mhz 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital Caviar Green 500/ Spinpoint F1 1T Windows 7 ultimate x64 Acer 23" 1080p G235H Microsoft Sidewinder x6 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair 750tx cm 690II Advanced Logitech G500 Clipboard 
  hide details  
post #415 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post

Because people will buy a console with a $500 GPU in it. The price will be ridiculous. There's a reason consoles are the most attractive market for developers - there's more money in it. If anything, us PC users are the losers. However, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for buying a PC.

Who said they will buy a console with a $500 gpu in it? I didn't.

The reason consoles are most attractive to devs is because they are linear and universal, they can create the same game. Of course there is more money because consoles are so easy to go and buy and setup, pc's aren't to the average Joe.

Us pc users are always the "losers" in the gaming world (well most of the time) because over 70% of games are dev'd on consoles not pc.

Is there something wrong with you like are you angry at having a powerhouse system? because I know people who wouldn't complain with a system like yours. You "blame" your self for having an epic pc.

I have been reading your post and you have been nothing but siding with consoles for some reason? like you are angry at your pc? that consoles are better? yes they are cheap and can run games fine, but for a lot of people it isn't enough. So either your sig rig is fake and you don't own a power house pc like that or you are just stupid for saying a console is better than your pc.
post #416 of 546
I can only hope this is false. The improvement in performance is much less after you factor in the use of the higher 1920x1080 resolution (which is 2.1m pixels) instead of the 1280x720 resolution (921k) or more common 1024x600 resolution (624k). That'd make it roughly only three times more powerful than the predecessor at 720p or only about two times at 600p.

It's a little sad to be honest if you think about the potential graphics a console is capable of if only provided with more adequate hardware. It could achieve graphics that would put the PC to shame. That would also push improvements in graphics ahead, but no, instead it holds it back because developers are thinking of the console as well when making games. (Just look at Crysis 2, the graphics are good but nothing like the jump with the original.)

They could at least use a 7750. It's only a $139 card apparently and the performance will be many fold a 6670. (They wouldn't be paying retail either...)
Edited by steelbom - 1/28/12 at 5:11am
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
post #417 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbom View Post

I can only hope this is false. The improvement in performance is much less after you factor in the use of the higher 1920x1080 resolution (which is 2.1m pixels) instead of the 1280x720 resolution (921k) or more common 1024x600 resolution (624k). That'd make it roughly only three times more powerful than the predecessor at 720p or only about two times at 600p.
It's a little sad to be honest if you think about the potential graphics a console is capable of if only provided with more adequate hardware. It could achieve graphics that would put the PC to shame. That would also push improvements in graphics ahead, but no, instead it holds it back because developers are thinking of the console as well when making games. (Just look at Crysis 2, the graphics are good but nothing like the jump with the original.)
They could at least use a 7750. It's only a $139 card apparently and the performance will be many fold a 6670. (They wouldn't be paying retail either...)

The problem i think is that the targeted demographic isn't as tech savvy as what alot of PC users are, and so don't have the eye to pick up on the visual details/privileges PC gamers are so used to.

I've had a few console gamers come to my place, look at my PC games as i play them in awe because they've never seen the games look so nice before in 1080p (BF3, Skyrim, GTA IV). Now most of them can't play their consoles without feeling like they're missing out. This, with the addition of modifications and the ability to work around game bugs/glitches, they really are missing out.
Edited by Thingamajig - 1/28/12 at 5:16am
post #418 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thingamajig View Post

The problem i think is that the targeted demographic isn't as tech savvy as what alot of PC users are, and so don't have the eye to pick up on the visual details/privileges PC gamers are so used to.

I've had a few console gamers come to my place, look at my PC games as i play them in awe because they've never seen the games look so nice before in 1080p (BF3, Skyrim, GTA IV). Now most of them can't play their consoles without feeling like they're missing out. This, with the addition of modifications and the ability to work around game bugs/glitches, they really are missing out.
That's true. I'd say console gamers are a bit more casual over all than PC gamers.
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
Kasuf
(9 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 6600K ASRock Z170 Pro4 ASUS Radeon RX 480 ROG Strix Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3000MHz 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
Samsung 850 EVO Noctua NH-D15 LG 34" Ultrawide (LG34UC98) Corsair HX750i 
Case
Silverstone FT05B-W 
  hide details  
post #419 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkapoc View Post

my 8800gt was only retired due to not being able to MAX games.. it still ran 90% of games on high at 720P and up at playable rates...soooo, to be blunt... You're wrong... KTHX smile.gif

Agreed a 8800 can play most modern games @ 720p. And when consoles get new gamest they run @ 720p or less and often with only 30fps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefy View Post

Because people will buy a console with a $500 GPU in it. The price will be ridiculous. There's a reason consoles are the most attractive market for developers - there's more money in it. If anything, us PC users are the losers. However, you cannot blame anyone but yourself for buying a PC.

Why do people think that next gen consoles can't have good hardware. The current gen's hardware was state of the art when they came out. Bleeding edge cell processor made by IBM and a gpu based on the x1800/x1950. Thous cards where in the $300-500 price range.
Edited by Bit_reaper - 1/28/12 at 5:28am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 OC 4.0 GHz 1.35v HT on Asus P6T 1366 SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 OCZ 12GB DDR3 GOLD/Platinum mix 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB Western digital 300GB Western digital Caviar Blue 1TB Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
generic LG DVD WC'd , Supreme LT, NexXxoS Xtreme III 360, Phob... Windows 7 x64 Samsung 27" LED S27A550B 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
ACER 23" x233H Dell U3415W Logitech G11 Chieftec 850W 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks enthoo luxe Razer deathAdder respawn steelseries Qck Yamaha HTR-6130 AV Receiver 
AudioAudio
Yamaha NS-50B floor tower speakers miditech Audiolink II stereo sound card 
  hide details  
post #420 of 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit_reaper View Post

Why do people think that next gen consoles cant have good hardware. The current gen's hardware was state of the art when they came out. Bleeding edge cell processor made by IBM and a gpu based on the x1800/x1950. Thous cards where in the $300-500 price range.

Because to have a $500 gpu in a console is stupid because it wont sell like the old consoles because your average Joe doesn't have that cash to spend on a console.

Consoles are simply dumbed down pc's for the average joe with all the hard work done without breaking your wallet like mine pc would.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [IGN] Xbox 720 to be 6 times as powerful compared to current gen systems