Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Hi-Fi Gear › Help me pick out Excellent headphones :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help me pick out Excellent headphones :) - Page 2

Poll Results: Which ones should I Get?

Poll expired: Feb 1, 2012 This is a multiple choice poll
  • 20% of voters (1)
    Audio Technicas ATH-A700
  • 80% of voters (4)
    Beyerdynamic DT770
  • 0% of voters (0)
    Audio Technicas ATH-M50
5 Total Votes  
post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
bump!

Leaning towards the DT 770.. May get the 250 ohm too lol

I need info on these headphones amp you all speak of lol
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorianime View Post

bump!
Leaning towards the DT 770.. May get the 250 ohm too lol
I need info on these headphones amp you all speak of lol

Im currently on mobile. Ask me anything. I will be home in a couple hours. This post is for u to prepare questions and let you know i am aware of ur post and have read it.
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
well since I'm planning on Going with a higher resistance Headphones, I would like to be able to use them on my iPod and on my Computer.

Instead of buying a sound card and a seperate amp for the mobile devices. Is there a portable amp that will work for both?

what should i look for in an amp?

I saw these two :option 1 option 2
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorianime View Post

well since I'm planning on Going with a higher resistance Headphones, I would like to be able to use them on my iPod and on my Computer.
Instead of buying a sound card and a seperate amp for the mobile devices. Is there a portable amp that will work for both?
what should i look for in an amp?
I saw these two :option 1 option 2

the first is a fake. that GSI is a fake copy of the Fiio E7. avoid any fake copies. sure it works. but go real.
Do you need a DAC? if you dot ehn the E17 would be a better bet. only problem is that it's a cat fight out there to get one. the first batch sold out in america in hours. mp4nation is the first place to get the second btch of e17's since they are hong kong based. they also allow pre orders. you can go that route. but most are waiting for it to arrive in america and hope they secure a spot by checking the webiste many times biggrin.gif
the E17 is $150

now plz go on head fi or somewhre and search how 250 ohm beyer;s would work with an E11. i would expect most to say it would do well. if it does well, then the E17 is able to drive it as well. E11 is just amp. E17 is an amp and DAC.

the reviews are here.


http://www.head-fi.org/t/587912/fiio-e17-alpen-first-impression-final-thought
http://www.headfonia.com/the-upgrade-fiio-e17-alpen/
http://headfonics.com/2012/01/the-fiio-e17-the-alpen/
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
how will i know if i need one? redface.gif
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
'headphonus supremus' on Head-fi means nothing but post count.

TBH, none of them are 'as the artist intended'.

I'd rather go with the more balanced sounding Shure SRH840

http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK

$140 is a great price.

Get some advice from gearslutz.com as well as they're a more recording / production oriented forum.
post #17 of 19
tried all 3 that you have listed here. AD700 did not produce good sound IMO, it is only good for games. ATH-M50 sounds AMAZING but gets uncomfortable and hot after awhile. DT770 sound great and are TONS more comfortable.

Get the DT770 Pro 80 ohm version. You could get an amp but I tried them on my ipod and at the loudest volume it hurt my ears... so I think the ipod can drive them just fine. My laptop... not so much. I use a Xonar DG which has a built in amp and it sounds PERFECT.

Since you listen to dubstep I would never suggest the AD700s.

The only advantage that the M50s have over the Beyers is the fact they fold up into a football shape... other than that everything else goes to the beyers.

Guitar center has them and they also have a 12% off coupon you can use as well.
Game Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 5Ghz  ASUS P8Z68-v Gen 3 GTX 1070 X 16GB Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Crucial M4 128GB Asus DVD drive H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 professional Samsung 27" LCD 1080p Ducky Shine (MX brown) AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Logitech mx518 Steelseries QCK+ ASUS Xonar DX 
Audio
BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Game Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2700k @ 5Ghz  ASUS P8Z68-v Gen 3 GTX 1070 X 16GB Corsair Vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
3x Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB Crucial M4 128GB Asus DVD drive H100 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 professional Samsung 27" LCD 1080p Ducky Shine (MX brown) AX850 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 600T SE White Logitech mx518 Steelseries QCK+ ASUS Xonar DX 
Audio
BeyerDynamics DT770 Pro 80 ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorianime View Post

how will i know if i need one? redface.gif
how wil you know if you need an amp? if your music starts having weird crackling sounds uve never heard before, if it isn't loud enough
how do you know if you need a DAC? do you have an Mac? Do you have a PC with an external soundcard you bought that you can post what it is? do you have an ipod or iphone. are you using portable or desktop or both? If you don't have a Mac and want to use desktop and portable. you need a DAC for optimal sound. DAC's aren't expensive. read the E17 review
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

tried all 3 that you have listed here. AD700 did not produce good sound IMO, it is only good for games. ATH-M50 sounds AMAZING but gets uncomfortable and hot after awhile. DT770 sound great and are TONS more comfortable.
Get the DT770 Pro 80 ohm version. You could get an amp but I tried them on my ipod and at the loudest volume it hurt my ears... so I think the ipod can drive them just fine. My laptop... not so much. I use a Xonar DG which has a built in amp and it sounds PERFECT.
Since you listen to dubstep I would never suggest the AD700s.
The only advantage that the M50s have over the Beyers is the fact they fold up into a football shape... other than that everything else goes to the beyers.
Guitar center has them and they also have a 12% off coupon you can use as well.

he already said he wanted the DT770 but great that you tried all of them and can add input to back the OP's judgement
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

'headphonus supremus' on Head-fi means nothing but post count.
TBH, none of them are 'as the artist intended'.
I'd rather go with the more balanced sounding Shure SRH840
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK
$140 is a great price.
Get some advice from gearslutz.com as well as they're a more recording / production oriented forum.

yes it does mean nothing. but it does mean experience.
yes. none of them are as what we think the artist thinks is inteded. hip hop artists and rap artists. do you think they use something like STUDIO montiors? no, i have seen many use Beyer's and Ultrasone's. STudio's "generally" don't have the bass they want to get that bump bump bass bass sound. what they want is gneraly a clear sounding headphone wth bass. and i can tell you. Beyer's are very very popular. Really. i would call most head fi recommended headphones..studio's. as i can see any person in a studio using them for difffernt purposes.

i h ave the SRH440's. the reveiws is that the SRH440 is more analytical(less fun and more like a naggy mom) but accurate..with a flatter sound but not as preferable to the colored bassier sound of the SRH840's. if the OP just does rock (guitar avatar pic) yes i would recommend SRH840.
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesekiwi View Post

'headphonus supremus' on Head-fi means nothing but post count.
TBH, none of them are 'as the artist intended'.
I'd rather go with the more balanced sounding Shure SRH840
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK
$140 is a great price.
Get some advice from gearslutz.com as well as they're a more recording / production oriented forum.

That is a very nice price point actually. Do you own them? If so how do they fit over your ears?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratjack View Post

tried all 3 that you have listed here. AD700 did not produce good sound IMO, it is only good for games. ATH-M50 sounds AMAZING but gets uncomfortable and hot after awhile. DT770 sound great and are TONS more comfortable.
Get the DT770 Pro 80 ohm version. You could get an amp but I tried them on my ipod and at the loudest volume it hurt my ears... so I think the ipod can drive them just fine. My laptop... not so much. I use a Xonar DG which has a built in amp and it sounds PERFECT.
Since you listen to dubstep I would never suggest the AD700s.
The only advantage that the M50s have over the Beyers is the fact they fold up into a football shape... other than that everything else goes to the beyers.
Guitar center has them and they also have a 12% off coupon you can use as well.

IF i can also use it as a Football then i'll take it!wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowness437 View Post

how wil you know if you need an amp? if your music starts having weird crackling sounds uve never heard before, if it isn't loud enough
how do you know if you need a DAC? do you have an Mac? Do you have a PC with an external soundcard you bought that you can post what it is? do you have an ipod or iphone. are you using portable or desktop or both? If you don't have a Mac and want to use desktop and portable. you need a DAC for optimal sound. DAC's aren't expensive. read the E17 review
he already said he wanted the DT770 but great that you tried all of them and can add input to back the OP's judgement
yes it does mean nothing. but it does mean experience.
if the OP just does rock (guitar avatar pic) yes i would recommend SRH840.

PC with no external sound card, Iphone, Laptop.. Output jack (headphone out) on Guitar amp and same with my piano. I do play a lot of rock but when I play i like the bass drums from my drummer to be bassy (thump in the chest) and I ask my bass players (always loosing and getting a new one) to have a deeper sound. However The Guitars are set to have a mid bass 50% on knob, 75% on mid and 90 on trebble.

Looks like I just may head to those other Forums too
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
Dorianime
(15 items)
 
School Rig
(5 items)
 
 
MotherboardGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Clevo W120HNM/w170HN GT540M Samsung Seagate Momentus 
OS
Windows 7 ultimate 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hi-Fi Gear
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Home Audio › Hi-Fi Gear › Help me pick out Excellent headphones :)