Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › {Guide} Create a Gaming Virtual Machine
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

{Guide} Create a Gaming Virtual Machine - Page 43

post #421 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post

Edit: I agree with Pigpoo and deleted my original reply.

Thanks for answering guys but i"m using putty with xming as suggested by the OP on page 1 of this forum section 6a which leads to believe it has been tested and therefore supported. What else should i try? This has been a 4weeks deal trying to set this machine up to work with my security camara pci card which doesnt support FLR hence the "PCI Backend and pci-stub don't own this device" error and now this. The steps are very clear yet the results have not been.

Thanks again guys
semper fi
post #422 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash0151 View Post

Thanks for answering guys but i"m using putty with xming as suggested by the OP on page 1 of this forum section 6a which leads to believe it has been tested and therefore supported.

What Distro are you using? Do you have a GUI installed? If you don't, install the Gnome meta-package or similar. Otherwise, it may be that you don't have the correct dependencies installed (seems like a GTK+ import error).
Homebrew
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Intel EX58SO XFX ATi Radeon HD5850 OC 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black Arctic Freezer 13PRO Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit LG 32" TV 
PowerCase
OCZ 700w Cooler Master Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
Homebrew
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 920 Intel EX58SO XFX ATi Radeon HD5850 OC 1GB G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB (2x2GB) 1333MHZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black Arctic Freezer 13PRO Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit LG 32" TV 
PowerCase
OCZ 700w Cooler Master Scout 
  hide details  
Reply
post #423 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpoo View Post

What Distro are you using? Do you have a GUI installed? If you don't, install the Gnome meta-package or similar. Otherwise, it may be that you don't have the correct dependencies installed (seems like a GTK+ import error).

I have F16 just like the OP suggested, sorry to sound like a recording but i made sure I had the identical (close) hardware and followed the OP's instructions to the T....anywho i'll install the gnome metadata package as you suggested and see what happens...also any idean why i can not passthrough any of my pci devices? its seems like none of them is owned by pciback or pci-stub weird? isnt' that supposed to happen out of the box with F16?
post #424 of 824
Hello,

I've been trying to get vga passtrough working for a while now and I found this excelent topic, so I was wondering if anyone could help me.

First, my hardware is the following:

- Asrock Z77 Extreme4
- Intel I7 3770
- 2gb ram (temporary, more is on the way)
- Nvidia GTS250 (which is a rebranded 9800, which I know some people managed to get working
- Corsair force GT 90gb
- two other conventional HDs that I will also try to passthrough (can I even passthrough HDs? I could never find an answer to this)

I am running CentOS 6.3 without a graphical environment.

My problem is: whenever I try to activate gfx passthru, I just get no signal whatsoever on the monitor. Not even from a bios, and the windows VM doesn't seem to start either as I'm unable to ping it or anything. If I disable the option I'm able to work with it just fine.

I don't have my config with me right now, but I basically copied it from the config on the first post.

I'd really appreciate if any of you could help me with this.
post #425 of 824
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetyre View Post

Hello,
I've been trying to get vga passtrough working for a while now and I found this excelent topic, so I was wondering if anyone could help me.
First, my hardware is the following:
- Asrock Z77 Extreme4
- Intel I7 3770
- 2gb ram (temporary, more is on the way)
- Nvidia GTS250 (which is a rebranded 9800, which I know some people managed to get working
- Corsair force GT 90gb
- two other conventional HDs that I will also try to passthrough (can I even passthrough HDs? I could never find an answer to this)
I am running CentOS 6.3 without a graphical environment.
My problem is: whenever I try to activate gfx passthru, I just get no signal whatsoever on the monitor. Not even from a bios, and the windows VM doesn't seem to start either as I'm unable to ping it or anything. If I disable the option I'm able to work with it just fine.
I don't have my config with me right now, but I basically copied it from the config on the first post.
I'd really appreciate if any of you could help me with this.

That is very similar hardware to what I have and I also run headless centos 6.3 as a dom0. A little more info would be good. Are you running Xen 4.1.2 like the original post or have you managed to get 4.2.0 to work? If not, I suggest going here: https://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

He also has a small repository for Xen and keeps it up to date.

Something else to try is xl list (or xm list if you are before 4.2.0) to see what state the machine is in. If it is in -b---- it means that it is stuck in a boot state (usually storage or network issues). Can you post your VM configuration file?
Test Chamber ITX
(14 items)
 
Dream Rig (AMD)
(11 items)
 
Dream Rig (Intel)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Gigabyte H77N-wifi Radeon HD 7750 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 CL 10 (@1333 CL 8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Corsair Force 3 180gb Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2x in RAID1 Lubuntu / Win 8.1 / CentOS 6.4 -- Xen 4.3 FSP 80+ Micro-ATX 450w 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2 RAID 1 Corsair Force Series GT 120GB x2 RAID 0 NZXT Kraken X60 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Lian-Li PC-100 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case RaspberryPi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASrock X79 EXTREME4-M SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB  AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 2x Corsair Force Series 3 180GB RAID 0 2x Western Digital Red 2TB RAID 1 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Silverstone TJ08B-E Integrated RaspberryPi 
  hide details  
Reply
Test Chamber ITX
(14 items)
 
Dream Rig (AMD)
(11 items)
 
Dream Rig (Intel)
(11 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600 Gigabyte H77N-wifi Radeon HD 7750 16GB Corsair DDR3 1600 CL 10 (@1333 CL 8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
Corsair Force 3 180gb Seagate Barracuda STBD2000101 2x in RAID1 Lubuntu / Win 8.1 / CentOS 6.4 -- Xen 4.3 FSP 80+ Micro-ATX 450w 
Case
Fractal Node 304 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX-8350 ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM x2 RAID 1 Corsair Force Series GT 120GB x2 RAID 0 NZXT Kraken X60 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic Platinum 860W 80 PLUS Platinum Lian-Li PC-100 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case RaspberryPi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7-3930k ASrock X79 EXTREME4-M SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition 2GB  AMD FirePro W5000 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 2x Corsair Force Series 3 180GB RAID 0 2x Western Digital Red 2TB RAID 1 Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 
PowerCaseOther
SeaSonic 660W 80 PLUS Platinum Silverstone TJ08B-E Integrated RaspberryPi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #426 of 824
This may be a stupid question so apologies in advance.

I have similar hardware with F17 Dom0 and Xen 4.1.2 (all working ok)

Can I upgrade my F17 Dom0 to Xen 4.2 by following the instructions in the link you posted?

https://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/

Or can someone point me towards the correct kernel for F17?
post #427 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy4 View Post

That is very similar hardware to what I have and I also run headless centos 6.3 as a dom0. A little more info would be good. Are you running Xen 4.1.2 like the original post or have you managed to get 4.2.0 to work? If not, I suggest going here: https://www.crc.id.au/xen-on-rhel6-scientific-linux-6-centos-6-howto/
He also has a small repository for Xen and keeps it up to date.
Something else to try is xl list (or xm list if you are before 4.2.0) to see what state the machine is in. If it is in -b---- it means that it is stuck in a boot state (usually storage or network issues). Can you post your VM configuration file?


I managed to get xen 4.2 to work by following this guide: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtualization-with-xen-on-centos-6.3-x86_64-paravirtualization-and-hardware-virtualization which does use the repo you mentioned.

I think I might have forgotten to disable selinux though. I can work on it today and I'll try to post my config file and see the state the machine is in.
post #428 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash0151 View Post

I have F16 just like the OP suggested, sorry to sound like a recording but i made sure I had the identical (close) hardware and followed the OP's instructions to the T....anywho i'll install the gnome metadata package as you suggested and see what happens...also any idean why i can not passthrough any of my pci devices? its seems like none of them is owned by pciback or pci-stub weird? isnt' that supposed to happen out of the box with F16?

Not sure if it's the same on Fedora, but you could try to see what dmesg | grep pciback gives you. Here is my output as an example:
Code:
dmesg | grep pciback
[   21.647922] xen-pciback: backend is passthrough
[   28.053848] pciback 0000:02:00.0: seizing device
[   28.053884] pciback 0000:02:00.0: enabling device (0000 -> 0003)
[   28.053924] pciback 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 40 (level, low) -> IRQ 40
[   28.053929] pciback 0000:02:00.0: PCI INT A disabled
[   28.267071] pciback 0000:02:00.1: seizing device
[   28.267150] pciback 0000:02:00.1: PCI INT B -> GSI 44 (level, low) -> IRQ 44
[   28.267159] pciback 0000:02:00.1: PCI INT B disabled
[   28.879674] pciback 0000:00:1a.0: seizing device
[   28.879753] pciback 0000:00:1a.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 23 (level, low) -> IRQ 23
[   28.879761] pciback 0000:00:1a.0: PCI INT A disabled
[   28.946573] pciback 0000:09:00.0: seizing device
[   28.946630] pciback 0000:09:00.0: PCI INT A -> GSI 17 (level, low) -> IRQ 17
[   28.946634] pciback 0000:09:00.0: PCI INT A disabled

There are several possible reasons why your pci devices aren't owned by pciback. I had problems with the nouveau driver (Nvidia) that was installed automatically for my secondary GPU (the one I wanted to pass through). I had to blacklist the nouveau driver.

I can't say much about the method dizzy4 described here in this post, as I use a Debian/Ubuntu based distro and a little different approach for the setup. However, here is a checklist you may want to go through:

1. Did you enable VT-d (IOMMU) in the BIOS? It's usually disabled by default. Don't confuse it with VT-x (often specified as Intel Virtualization or so in the BIOS), it's NOT the same - this latter option is usually enabled by default.
2. Check your grub file and make sure you ran grub2-mkconfig after editing it.
3. Instead of using virt-manager in step 7 of dizzy4's guide to detach the pci devices, you could download and try this script http://wiki.xen.org/wiki/Bind_lib.bash_:_A_script_that_makes_pciback_with_modules_easier_to_use.

See if any of this works. Good luck!
post #429 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetyre View Post

Hello,
I've been trying to get vga passtrough working for a while now and I found this excelent topic, so I was wondering if anyone could help me.
First, my hardware is the following:
- Asrock Z77 Extreme4
- Intel I7 3770
- 2gb ram (temporary, more is on the way)
- Nvidia GTS250 (which is a rebranded 9800, which I know some people managed to get working
- Corsair force GT 90gb
- two other conventional HDs that I will also try to passthrough (can I even passthrough HDs? I could never find an answer to this)
I am running CentOS 6.3 without a graphical environment.
My problem is: whenever I try to activate gfx passthru, I just get no signal whatsoever on the monitor. Not even from a bios, and the windows VM doesn't seem to start either as I'm unable to ping it or anything. If I disable the option I'm able to work with it just fine.
I don't have my config with me right now, but I basically copied it from the config on the first post.
I'd really appreciate if any of you could help me with this.

Looks like your VGA passthrough is kinda working. When you activate gfx passthrough the graphics card is literally disconnected from Linux/dom0 and attached to pciback, that means you should see nothing on that display. If you are passing a secondary GPU, your primary should still be available. Else you need to connect to your PC via ssh -X, VNC or similar from another PC.

Run xm create ... and afterwards virt-manager, click on your Windows VM and open the console. Since you have Windows installed, it might display some messages relating to your new graphics card, or just boot into Windows and ask for driver installation. Until you install the Windows driver for your graphics card and reboot, you most likely won't be able to see any output on the screen attached to that graphics card. virt-manager has a built-in VNC client that makes it easy to connect to the VM.

P.S.: Make sure your /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp file contains:
Code:
(xend-unix-server yes)
without #

Regarding HD passthrough, you cannot pass through individual drives, but the controller(s). Most motherboards have several SATA controllers; mine has 3: the Intel X79 SATA controller, an ASMedia SATA controller for two external eSATA ports, and a useless Marvell SATA controller that doesn't work under Xen. I added another ASMedia controller card to get more SATA ports for internal drives (currently 1 SSD, 5 HDD drives + 1 DVD R/W).

BUT, in my case there is a catch with the two ASMedia controllers: If I pass through one of them, I cannot access/use the other.

Actually, I don't see a reason to pass through a SATA controller, except perhaps for external eSATA media (e.g. removable backup disks). For good disk I/O performance, get the GPLPV drivers for Windows here: http://wiki.univention.de/index.php?title=Installing-signed-GPLPV-drivers. They work wonders, especially for disk drives! They also provide a 10Gb bridge to the dom0, so Samba file transfers between Windows and Linux (dom0) are running nicely and the limit seems to be the read write speed of the drives. I take it for granted that you use LVM drives?



Hope it helps.
Edited by powerhouse - 1/9/13 at 10:52am
post #430 of 824
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhouse View Post

Looks like your VGA passthrough is kinda working. When you activate gfx passthrough the graphics card is literally disconnected from Linux/dom0 and attached to pciback, that means you should see nothing on that display. If you are passing a secondary GPU, your primary should still be available. Else you need to connect to your PC via ssh -X, VNC or similar from another PC.
Run xm create ... and afterwards virt-manager, click on your Windows VM and open the console. Since you have Windows installed, it might display some messages relating to your new graphics card, or just boot into Windows and ask for driver installation. Until you install the Windows driver for your graphics card and reboot, you most likely won't be able to see any output on the screen attached to that graphics card. virt-manager has a built-in VNC client that makes it easy to connect to the VM.
P.S.: Make sure your /etc/xen/xend-config.sxp file contains:
Code:
(xend-unix-server yes)
without #
Hope it helps.

I'm passing a secondary graphics card, the primary one is the integrated one in the processor, HD graphics 4000 IIRC. the one that has no signal is the monitor that should be connected to windows. BTW, if I VNC to the machine I just get a black screen that says "no serial" or something like that.

I'm using xl, not xm.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Operating Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › {Guide} Create a Gaming Virtual Machine