Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GIZ] Google’s Broken Promise: The End of "Don’t Be Evil"
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[GIZ] Google’s Broken Promise: The End of "Don’t Be Evil" - Page 19

post #181 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

Yea who cares, give them all your info, social security number, DOB, credit card number, bank account number, address, etc. We don't need any stinkin' privacy, I mean Google has the moto "Don't be evil" so I should surely be able to trust with more then my own family and friends with my information, they would never use that information against me. rolleyes.gif
Don't be so gullible to think that ANY corporation should be trusted with this information, as with any corporation they try to maximize profits at any cost, even if it's something that could potentially hurt it's user base as they prey on the ignorance of that user base. To just accept any terms that they seem fit for their agenda.
Google does not have my SSN (well, technically they should since I use them as a payment service, but decided against it). All I'm saying is I can dig up information on you with or without Google buddy, so the fact that Google has some of my info is practically worthless.

You want to know a great, untold secret? Just between the both of us? I would be more scared about clueless companies and Gov't offices than Google. Most of them are unaware or do not care about proper disposal of scanners and copiers, can you believe that? Doesn't that frighten you more than Google making your Google+ page available on Blogger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post

Did you read any of the comments? 90% of the people posting in this thread have no issue with this policy change.

It was directed at those still deluded with the article.
post #182 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

No, just no. Kirby, seriously, just because I don't want someone to know where I search doesn't mean I'm doing something illegal.
For example lets say I had a disease or something that I didn't want to share with anyone other then my doctor, it is MY right to only have those people know. Assuming that because people don't want to be tracked because they are doing something illegal is as about as asinine as saying If you buy a gun you'll kill someone.

The risk comes into play if their data centers get compromised. They've demonstrated insane security of their data. Hell, financial and government institutions have been subjected to online attacks where the attackers have gotten in and obtained personal info from users such as SSN's, CC numbers, etc.--that has yet to happen to google, yet people are happy to leave their personal info with their financial institutions that have been subjected to security breaches. I feel much more at ease with a business designed around data-harvesting and data-security than I do about some antiquated financial or government institutions that have always been behind the times and decided to retrofit online data storage and protection in quite poor ways on occasion.

What do you think google is going to do, if anything, with information you submit to them--even your SSN, bank account info, and credit card info? I'm pretty certain they didn't make their billions by raiding poor schumck's bank accounts with the info they harvest, or selling your personal info to identity thieves.

I will concede that google's ubiquitous presence requires that people be a bit more critical of their actions, except to-date, their actions have been anything but suspicious.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500K Biostar TP67B+ XFX HD5750 1GB 2x4GB DDR3 Corsair 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
60GB OCZ SSD, 2x160GB HDD RAID0, 500GB+500GB+1.5TB Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Samsung SyncMaster 930B Antec SmartPower 450w 
Case
Antec 900 
  hide details  
Reply
post #183 of 284
When I seen a interview with a rep saying they knew more about you than you knew about you. They went on to say that he knew where you would eat that day before you had even thought about it ect.. The interview was about the droid software. I knew after seeing that interview Google services and products (droid) was not for me. I like having privacy lol
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k Asus Maximus gene-z/gen3 Gigabyte 6950 HD OC Corsair Vengeance 16 gig 8x2 CL7 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata 120gig Sata 3 AS510s3 Noctua 2011 SE NP-D14  Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium) 64bit 55 inch Samsung 3d Tv 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27 inch Gateway  OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze  Rosewill Thor V2 Logitech Performance Gaming Mouse (wireless) 
Mouse PadAudio
rocketfish Onkyo tx-nr1008 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-2500k Asus Maximus gene-z/gen3 Gigabyte 6950 HD OC Corsair Vengeance 16 gig 8x2 CL7 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Adata 120gig Sata 3 AS510s3 Noctua 2011 SE NP-D14  Microsoft Windows 7 (Home Premium) 64bit 55 inch Samsung 3d Tv 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
27 inch Gateway  OCZ ZT Series 750W Fully-Modular 80PLUS Bronze  Rosewill Thor V2 Logitech Performance Gaming Mouse (wireless) 
Mouse PadAudio
rocketfish Onkyo tx-nr1008 
  hide details  
Reply
post #184 of 284
People still read Gawker Media sites? =p
post #185 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirby1 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

No, just no. Kirby, seriously, just because I don't want someone to know where I search doesn't mean I'm doing something illegal.
For example lets say I had a disease or something that I didn't want to share with anyone other then my doctor, it is MY right to only have those people know. Assuming that because people don't want to be tracked because they are doing something illegal is as about as asinine as saying If you buy a gun you'll kill someone.

What you think google is going to send out an e-mail to everyone you know saying that you searched for info on an embarrassing disease? Your argument is lacking. Even if google logs the search info that doesnt even mean there is a single person actually aware if it and if there were, it would just be some faceless person compiling data.

To me your argument supports my point, that people are fearful of things like this for no good reason.

You're right it doesn't mean that they are looking at it but why give someone the potential of doing that? That's like saying Hey President, here is a law that gives you absolute power, but we hope you won't use it for anything negative.

You NEVER want to erode your rights because once they're gone, it takes a revolution to get them back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

Yea who cares, give them all your info, social security number, DOB, credit card number, bank account number, address, etc. We don't need any stinkin' privacy, I mean Google has the moto "Don't be evil" so I should surely be able to trust with more then my own family and friends with my information, they would never use that information against me. rolleyes.gif
Don't be so gullible to think that ANY corporation should be trusted with this information, as with any corporation they try to maximize profits at any cost, even if it's something that could potentially hurt it's user base as they prey on the ignorance of that user base. To just accept any terms that they seem fit for their agenda.
Google does not have my SSN (well, technically they should since I use them as a payment service, but decided against it). All I'm saying is I can dig up information on you with or without Google buddy, so the fact that Google has some of my info is practically worthless.

You want to know a great, untold secret? Just between the both of us? I would be more scared about clueless companies and Gov't offices than Google. Most of them are unaware or do not care about proper disposal of scanners and copiers, can you believe that? Doesn't that frighten you more than Google making your Google+ page available on Blogger?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrazeau1115 View Post

Did you read any of the comments? 90% of the people posting in this thread have no issue with this policy change.

It was directed at those still deluded with the article.

Yes there is information publicly available, however saying google has SOME of your data is pointless? OH REALLLY!? Ok, well lets say I can find out your name, birthday and where you live, with that information you can pretty much access any of there accounts since MOST verification asks you questions regarding something that can easily identify it as you.

Also, just because the information CAN be found on the internet doesn't mean it should be EASILY found. For example, you can find child porn if thats what you want, however it shouldn't be easy to find such things.

I'm fully aware of the lack of concern for proper disposal of office appliances as well. But with that it doesn't bother me as much since you'd have to go out of your way to get that information (removal of the hard drive of the copier for example) where as just typing in a query to get results with your information. And TYPICALLY those devices are not able to be accessed via external source anyways.

You mentioned your more concerned with "clueless companies and governments" having this information then Google...GOOGLE IS SELLING THEM THE INFO TO THEM ANYWAYS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyladouche View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

No, just no. Kirby, seriously, just because I don't want someone to know where I search doesn't mean I'm doing something illegal.
For example lets say I had a disease or something that I didn't want to share with anyone other then my doctor, it is MY right to only have those people know. Assuming that because people don't want to be tracked because they are doing something illegal is as about as asinine as saying If you buy a gun you'll kill someone.

The risk comes into play if their data centers get compromised. They've demonstrated insane security of their data. Hell, financial and government institutions have been subjected to online attacks where the attackers have gotten in and obtained personal info from users such as SSN's, CC numbers, etc.--that has yet to happen to google, yet people are happy to leave their personal info with their financial institutions that have been subjected to security breaches. I feel much more at ease with a business designed around data-harvesting and data-security than I do about some antiquated financial or government institutions that have always been behind the times and decided to retrofit online data storage and protection in quite poor ways on occasion.

What do you think google is going to do, if anything, with information you submit to them--even your SSN, bank account info, and credit card info? I'm pretty certain they didn't make their billions by raiding poor schumck's bank accounts with the info they harvest, or selling your personal info to identity thieves.

I will concede that google's ubiquitous presence requires that people be a bit more critical of their actions, except to-date, their actions have been anything but suspicious.

No the risk is still there, if your account is compromised ALL your google services have been, and with their ever growing list of services/features that could potentially be devastating. And I HIGHLY doubt google has NEVER been hacked. I'm sure it happens all the time, now we probably just don't hear about it because image the PR issues that would cause, Google could easily suppress that kind of info either by manipulating search results or just by bribes.

I'm not saying GOOGLE itself specifically will use your personal information, but they employ thousands, which may decide they want to be malicious. I mean real people work for this company so that issue is always there. And Google does already sell your info, so in a way they are identity thieves as I didn't consent to the data that was collected on every occasion.
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
Perpetual debt
(15 items)
 
Money Pit
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k Asus P8P67 Pro PNY GTX 480 2x4gb G.Skill Ripjaws 2133mhz 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 3 Coolit Freezone Elite Win7 Ultimate Samsung 2233rz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 Antec Server case Razer Deathadder 
Mouse PadAudioAudio
Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Logitech 5.1 Surround Tritton AX PC Pro 5.1 Surround Headset 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel q6600 @ 3.9ghz (433x9) EVGA 780i FTW evga 8200gs 512mb  4x2gb Corsair XMS TwinX 866mhz @ 5-5-5-5-18 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
2x 750gb Seagate Baracuda 7200.12 RAID0 5x 1.5tb Seagate Baracuda 7200.11 RAID5 LITE-ON 22X DVD Burner Black SATA Corsair H70 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate x64 22" Acer x223w Logitech G15 Corsair HX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
APEVIA MX-ALIEN Razer Deathadder Thermaltake LCD Mousepad Triton AX Pro PC 
Audio
Logitech 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #186 of 284
Here's what Google thinks they know about me, based on my web surfing habits. I would've posted it on the other thread, but it's more fitting here.
Quote:
Your categories
Below you can review the interests and inferred demographics that Google has associated with your cookie. You can remove or edit these at any time.
Computers & Electronics - Computer Hardware - Computer Components - Computer Memory
Computers & Electronics - Consumer Electronics - Audio Equipment - Headphones
Food & Drink - Candy & Sweets
Food & Drink - Cooking & Recipes
Internet & Telecom - Mobile & Wireless - Mobile Phones
Internet & Telecom - Mobile & Wireless - Mobile Phones - Smart Phones

Your demographics
We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited. You can remove or edit these at any time.
Age: 25-34
Gender: Male

I am so paranoid about how they track me, and what they know about me, that I will freely post this in a forum. thumb.gif
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
post #187 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010rig View Post

Here's what Google thinks they know about me, based on my web surfing habits. I would've posted it on the other thread, but it's more fitting here.
Quote:
Your categories
Below you can review the interests and inferred demographics that Google has associated with your cookie. You can remove or edit these at any time.
Computers & Electronics - Computer Hardware - Computer Components - Computer Memory
Computers & Electronics - Consumer Electronics - Audio Equipment - Headphones
Food & Drink - Candy & Sweets
Food & Drink - Cooking & Recipes
Internet & Telecom - Mobile & Wireless - Mobile Phones
Internet & Telecom - Mobile & Wireless - Mobile Phones - Smart Phones
Your demographics
We infer your age and gender based on the websites you've visited. You can remove or edit these at any time.
Age: 25-34
Gender: Male
I am so paranoid about how they track me, and what they know about me, that I will freely post this in a forum. thumb.gif

You're screwed now buddy. I shall find you and smite you with sweet candy head phones and slice you with mobile memory recipes.
post #188 of 284
It's amazing how few people actually don't realize how Google operates and think this is something new.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KusH View Post

To those who don't understand the negative effects of implications like this they're as follows:
1. One account get compromised so does everything else.
2. Google actually DOES want to know what you do on EVERY aspect of your life. They have reasons for amassing this kind of data.
3. "targeting ads to your needs" basically tracking everything you search for and forming a profile for "you" however anyone that uses a machine that has your account logged in can obviously skew these profiles, and could potentially make you look like either a criminal or a pedophile or something else not desirable.
4. Google sells that data to 3rd party companies (think directed ads) who knows what information is being sold to these companies. This IS NOT a Google internal use only deal.
Now this isn't completely a bad thing because obviously there are some positives to having this done, and I don't care to mention them as I don't believe they outweigh the bad.
Oh and the mindset of "Well they already track me it's no big deal," that mentality is what got us to this place to begin with. The Nazi's didn't take over Germany in 1 night, it was a gradual process, so the general public would except their own tyranny.

1. This is ALREADY true as its all already tied to 1 account (generally your email)

2. And they already DO know all this information.

3. This is nothing new. They already tracked your email and your searches, the ads in your email havent reflected search preferences before. Now they do.

4. Google does not sell the data to 3rd party companies, they're famous for NOT dealing in this information and has been a point of contention for many advertisers as they don't actually see the raw data of who is being marketed or targeted by what. They simply get information saying "You wanted to advertise this, said you wanted it to be tied with these reference criteria. We implemented this data and some of our own magic and as a result heres the amount of click throughs and money you get".

This is an improvement, not a step back. This is evident in that people finally are starting to understand what Google has ALWAYS DONE; it adds a level of transparency and simplifies the overall scheme. 1 Privacy Policy to rule them all > 60 privacy policies for each individual little thing.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Asus X58 Sabertooth MSI 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE Samsung Green Power LP DDR3 1600  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung F1 1TB Corsair H70 CPU Cooling 3xCougar CF-V14H 140mm Case Fans 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
3x Cougar CF-V12H 120mm Case Fans Dell S2440M 21.5" 1080P  Rosewill Mechanical RK-9000BRI Corsair HX750 
CaseMouse
Xigmatek Asgard Logitech M570 Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon L5640 Asus X58 Sabertooth MSI 560Ti 448 Twin Frozr III PE Samsung Green Power LP DDR3 1600  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Velociraptor Samsung F1 1TB Corsair H70 CPU Cooling 3xCougar CF-V14H 140mm Case Fans 
CoolingMonitorKeyboardPower
3x Cougar CF-V12H 120mm Case Fans Dell S2440M 21.5" 1080P  Rosewill Mechanical RK-9000BRI Corsair HX750 
CaseMouse
Xigmatek Asgard Logitech M570 Trackball 
  hide details  
Reply
post #189 of 284
Seems fine to me. They didn't mention anywhere that the information will be sold to outside parties. All this does is simplify the back-end and front-end of their services as a whole.
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
T3k
(13 items)
 
The Tibaldi
(9 items)
 
WooJoo
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i5 3210 h77 HD4000 GeForce 640 LE 
RAMHard DriveOSOS
4gb of something 5400rpm slowness 13.04 Ubuntu x64  Windows 8 Pro 
Monitor
1920x1080 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
965 BE 4.0GHZ (250 x 15.5) @1.5V m2n32 sli deluxe - 2000mhz @ 1.3V Asus TOP 5850 1GB 950/1200 Kingston HyperX 5-5-5-15 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Velociraptor 150GB, WD raptor 74gb TDK 880N DVDRW Windows 7 x64 Ultimate Westinghouse 22" lcd 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
saitek eclipse II Corsair 620W modular Cooler Master ATCS 840 black emprex 
  hide details  
Reply
post #190 of 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

You're screwed now buddy. I shall find you and smite you with sweet candy head phones and slice you with mobile memory recipes.

HA HA HA HA

I've had it with Google, I'm in the process of shutting down ALL my Gmail accounts, and will begin using Bing as my default search engine!

So glad the OP informed me of these evil practices today. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Google and its advertisers may work with certain third-parties for advertising purposes. If you opt-out of customized ads, we extend your decision, so that services provided by these third-parties do not work in conjunction with our cookie.
Google is a participating member of the Network Advertising Initiative and follows the industry privacy standards for online advertising.
You can opt out of this cookie, as well as other companies' cookies used for interest-based ads, by visiting the aboutads.info choices page.
If you want to persist your opt-out of interest-based ads from all NAI member companies, you can install the Keep My Opt-Outs plugin.

Edited by 2010rig - 1/26/12 at 1:54pm
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
2010rig
(14 items)
 
Galaxy S3
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 @ 4.5  ASUS P6X58D-E 980TI? 12GB OCZ Platinum - 7-7-7-21 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1 80GB SSD x25m - 3TB F3 + F4 NH-D14 Windows 7 Ultimate LG 47LH55 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Natural Wireless Keyboard Corsair 750HX CM 690 II Advanced MX 518 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Snapdragon S4 Dual core 1500mhz Adreno 225 Samsung 2GB 16GB Onboard Flash 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Android 4.4.2 - CM11 4.8" AMOLED 1280x720 2100 mAh battery Otterbox Defender 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [GIZ] Google’s Broken Promise: The End of "Don’t Be Evil"