Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNN] Apple: Most Valuable Company in the World
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[CNN] Apple: Most Valuable Company in the World - Page 16

post #151 of 168
For now. I predict a sharp drop in the near future.
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Kilo 3.0
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3P HIS HD6970 1GB 8GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ Vertex 3 Seagate Barricuda Seagate GoFlex WD Passport 
Optical DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Lite-On BD-RW ASUS DVD-RW Cooler Master H80 Arctic Cooling Twin Turbo II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8 Pro 25" Hanns.G K710 Corsair TX750 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master 690 M710 XTrac Ripper Logitech 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #152 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept_357 View Post

A "good" Sony Vaio Z such as the one you described costs upwards of $3000 grand lol. I rather stick with my 15" MBP.

Your 15" MBP is in a different product category. That said, a 15" MBP 2.4GHz starts at $2200 while the system that I pointed out was about $2700. Once you bump up some of the MBP specs so they're competitive (screen (though still lower res), RAM, HD, etc) you get a MBP that's faster due to it's quad-core processor (but still slower at single-threaded applications) while also getting a much bigger (15" vs 13") and heavier (5.6lb vs 2.57lb) computer, but the cost is almost the same.

You still miss my point though (hint: it wasn't that Apple computers were overpriced. It had more to do with the fact that there are other manufacturers that also make great computers once you step into the >$1000 range).
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

OSX's UI is superior to anything Linux has to offer. There's a reason why Apple spends so much on R&D of UI. Not to mention, far more apps that integrate well with eachother, easier to set up, 1st class customer service (which you can't get much of on Linux), and has the power of Unix. For anyone who doesn't want to build a custom PC, especially one with Linux, Macs are a great option.

In what ways is the OSX UI better than KDE or Gnome (or some other if you prefer) for your usage?

I ask about your usage because each UI serves a different market and different use case... except gnome-shell; its designers KNOW that their design is the best for everything /sarc
Edited by hajile - 1/30/12 at 6:26am
post #153 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoopaScoopa View Post

Ok, true enough but anything with *NIX is better than Windows, so it's still better. tongue.gif
You did say OSX isn't UNIX though. OSX isn't the name of the GUI either if that's what you're trying to say, it's the kernel and GUI combined. It's just another flavor like FreeBSD.

What I meant was OSX isn't exactly UNIX, just as Windows95 wasn't DOS. Those OSes were built upon another.

Comparing Windows to UNIX isn't the same as comparing Windows to OSX. I would much rather use OSX than just pure UNIX.
Edited by lordikon - 1/30/12 at 6:58am
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
Foldatron
(17 items)
 
Mat
(10 items)
 
Work iMac
(9 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 950 EVGA x58 3-way SLI EVGA GTX 660ti GTX 275 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
3x2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 80GB Intel X25-M SSD 2TB WD Black 150GB WD Raptor 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
2x 150GB WD V-raptor in RAID0 Win7 Home 64-bit OEM 55" LED 120hz 1080p Vizio MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 
PowerCase
750W PC P&C Silencer CoolerMaster 690 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core i5 2500S AMD 6770M 8GB (2x4GB) at 1333Mhz 1TB, 7200 rpm 
Optical DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
LG 8X Dual-Layer "SuperDrive" OS X Lion 27" iMac screen Mac wireless keyboard 
Mouse
Mac wireless mouse 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i7-2600K AMD 6970M 1GB 16GB PC3-10600 DDR3 1TB 7200rpm 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
256GB SSD 8x DL "SuperDrive" OS X 10.7 Lion 27" 2560x1440 iMac display 
Monitor
27" Apple thunderbolt display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #154 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by robwadeson View Post

what are you talking about? AFAIC, apple is the only one company who actually gives chinese workers incentives for every sold product, they also strictly enforce The Supplier Code of Conduct of their employees.

Surely you're not serious? Haven't you seen the conditions the Apple factory workers have to endure? It's nigh torture.
S340 Elite
(13 items)
 
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Asus Maximus X Hero Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix Team Dark Pro 16GB DDR4 3600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Seagate Barracuda 4TB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony KDL-40HX853 Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TKL  Superflower LEADEX II 850W NZXT S340 Elite 
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
S340 Elite
(13 items)
 
Clevo P650RP6-G
(6 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 8700k Asus Maximus X Hero Asus ROG 1080 Ti Strix Team Dark Pro 16GB DDR4 3600MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Seagate Barracuda 4TB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Sony KDL-40HX853 Coolermaster Quickfire Rapid TKL  Superflower LEADEX II 850W NZXT S340 Elite 
Mouse
Logitech G403 Wireless 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel i7 6700HQ nVidia GTX1060 6GB Kingston HyperX Impact 2133MHZ 16GB INTEL 600p 128GB 
Hard DriveOS
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Windows 10 Pro 64 
  hide details  
Reply
post #155 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

There's a reason why Apple spends so much on R&D of UI.

I thought that reason was to better pander to the crowd that thinks computers are just expensive toys for fun and don't want to be exposed to any of the complicated stuff going on behind the scenes.
Black & Green
(12 items)
 
Dev Box
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T ASRock 970 Extreme3 Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti mushkin Blackline PC-12800 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Debian -nosystemd- LG Flatron 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
MechanicalEagle Z-77 Corsair CS650M Kinzu V2 Pro Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core2 Duo E7400 Asus P5Q Hyper-X  Sandisk 
OSPower
Fedora 22 Thermaltake 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
Black & Green
(12 items)
 
Dev Box
(7 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T ASRock 970 Extreme3 Gigabyte GTX 750 Ti mushkin Blackline PC-12800 DDR3 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 EVO Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Debian -nosystemd- LG Flatron 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
MechanicalEagle Z-77 Corsair CS650M Kinzu V2 Pro Asus Xonar Essence STX 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core2 Duo E7400 Asus P5Q Hyper-X  Sandisk 
OSPower
Fedora 22 Thermaltake 650W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #156 of 168
The primary reason apple is one of the strongest companies is that apple's prudent differentiation has allowed them to sell electronics at a much higher price than other competing companies. Their cheapest mac book at 15 inches is $1,799.00 with free shipping, and has disgusting specs for the price. Its funny how much apple has controlled the market by making a product more expensive than it should be. And @patrol, exactly: apple panders to less educated individuals, and therefore, since consumers know less about what they're paying for, are able to charge higher prices. Apple is also a freaking horrible company with, for example, this whole thing with Chinese laborers, and their ridiculous patenting. No wonder they're on top.
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k 5.0 ghz 1.39v Asus p8p67 deluxe SLI 465 4 gb gskill 1600mhz Cas 6 
Hard DrivePower
ocz vertex 2 60 gb 650 watt 
  hide details  
Reply
post #157 of 168
They have superb marketing, astonishing support and products that attract the mass. What do you expect? I haven't seen one company that does all 3.
Trollin'
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4.6ghz ASRock Z77 Extreme4  EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB WD Green 2TB Corsair H80 Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 87u PCP&C MkIII 600w Antec 1100 Logitech Performance MX 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Qck+ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
CPURAMHard Drive
i5 3210M 8GB 1600mhz 500gb 
  hide details  
Reply
Trollin'
(14 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k @4.6ghz ASRock Z77 Extreme4  EVGA GTX 670 Samsung 8GB DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 Pro 128GB WD Green 2TB Corsair H80 Windows 7 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Realforce 87u PCP&C MkIII 600w Antec 1100 Logitech Performance MX 
Mouse PadAudio
Steelseries Qck+ Klipsch Promedia 2.1 
CPURAMHard Drive
i5 3210M 8GB 1600mhz 500gb 
  hide details  
Reply
post #158 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post

I thought that reason was to better pander to the crowd that thinks computers are just expensive toys for fun and don't want to be exposed to any of the complicated stuff going on behind the scenes.

Oh, you're right. I forgot that 95% of the population on this earth care SOOOOOOOOOO much about the inner workings of an OS. rolleyes.gif You're in a niche, don't think for a second that you're not, or that people who aren't are lesser than you. Most people who have to use a computer don't want to deal with anything above and beyond usability. Put down the nerdrage and go find something productive to do.
post #159 of 168
A few things I would like to say:

1: Apple has a lot of competition. Just not from a single company. There are many small companies competing with Apple, producing Android phones. I love how on one hand Apple haters refuse to credit Apple with it's full market share and on the other hand, they claim it is a monopoly.

2. Just because it is the biggest company, that doesn't mean it is in any way a monopoly.

3. Between two polished working OSes such as Windows and OSX (or Android and iOS), there can be no useful "Which is better?" argument. OSX is incredibly good at certain things and for certain uses and Windows is very good and others. If somebody wants OSX, then Windows simply won't do for them.

4. The price difference isn't really as much as people make it out to be. You actually can't compare prices really. A lot of time people say "Well, for the price of an iMac I could build a computer that is ten times faster!". While that maybe true, could you also fix it stylishly to the back of an IPS monitor? No, you can't. Sure your laptop maybe faster, but does it run for 7 hours straight while maintaining less than an inch thickness and a solid body? Most likely not. Lets not even go into the competitors of the MacBook Air.

Really, a Mac isn't comparable to a PC. They are made for different reasons and for different buyers. When a Mac tries to take the place of a PC, it fails. When a PC tries to take the place of a Mac, it also fails.

The kind of people on this site are NOT who Macs are for

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrol View Post

I thought that reason was to better pander to the crowd that thinks computers are just expensive toys for fun and don't want to be exposed to any of the complicated stuff going on behind the scenes.

And your point is...? Should we look down on those people? Are you saying those kind of people aren't worthy of having laptops?

rolleyes.gif
Edited by leafan101 - 1/30/12 at 6:56pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1500x 4.1GHz OC MSi Gaming Pro B350 mATX EVGA Superclocked GTX 1060 3GB GSkill Aegis 2800MHz 1x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Seagate 1TB Crucial 128GB SSD Byski CPU block with Barrow fittings RedDragon Blue Mechanical Backlit Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 750W Thermaltake Core V21 Razer DeathAdder Left-Handed Edition Spigen A102 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 5 1500x 4.1GHz OC MSi Gaming Pro B350 mATX EVGA Superclocked GTX 1060 3GB GSkill Aegis 2800MHz 1x8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingKeyboard
Seagate 1TB Crucial 128GB SSD Byski CPU block with Barrow fittings RedDragon Blue Mechanical Backlit Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Thermaltake Toughpower Modular 750W Thermaltake Core V21 Razer DeathAdder Left-Handed Edition Spigen A102 
  hide details  
Reply
post #160 of 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNine View Post

OSX's UI is superior to anything Linux has to offer. There's a reason why Apple spends so much on R&D of UI. Not to mention, far more apps that integrate well with eachother, easier to set up, 1st class customer service (which you can't get much of on Linux), and has the power of Unix. For anyone who doesn't want to build a custom PC, especially one with Linux, Macs are a great option.

If you want a pretty, inefficient ui then yes. But windows and linux both have more functional ui (takes less clicks to do the same thing). Mac is dumbed down so it doesn't have as many options upfront to "overcomplicate" things for users.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Technology and Science News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Technology and Science News › [CNN] Apple: Most Valuable Company in the World