Well, yes, it's because no dump files were generated. By default, when Windows crashes it generates a dump file, but since you're freezing, I believe the dump file is not being generated.
So, you've reformatted and you still freeze, but when you go into safe mode, you DON'T freeze? Something software related may be causing this. Perform a selective start-up to ensure that any background or start-up programs aren't causing this:
Start >type in the search box msconfig
In the System Configuration Utility dialog box, click Selective Startup on the General tab.
- Click to clear the Load Startup Items check box.
- Note The Use Original Boot.ini check box is unavailable.
- Click the Services tab.
- Click to select the Hide All Microsoft Services check box.
- Click Disable All, and then click OK.
- When you are prompted, click Restart.