Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading from Bloomfield, Suggestions?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Upgrading from Bloomfield, Suggestions?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
I'm finally upgrading from my i7 920 setup to something more current. I feel like my system has run it's course and I plan on giving it to my little brother. This means I'll be needing to build a whole new entire setup from the ground up.

What I intend to do:
Battlefield 3
Heavy Video Rendering
Photoshop

My budget is ~1200, without including the monitor/mouse/other accessories.

If ya'll could help out that would be great, thanks.
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Lee View Post

I'm finally upgrading from my i7 920 setup to something more current. I feel like my system has run it's course and I plan on giving it to my little brother. This means I'll be needing to build a whole new entire setup from the ground up.
What I intend to do:
Battlefield 3
Heavy Video Rendering
Photoshop
My budget is ~1200, without including the monitor/mouse/other accessories.
If ya'll could help out that would be great, thanks.

$1200. Hmm, it's hard to squeeze a 3930k for rendering in there.

Do you use CUDA rendering?

What's your current vid card?
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

$1200. Hmm, it's hard to squeeze a 3930k for rendering in there.
Do you use CUDA rendering?
What's your current vid card?

I use a GTX 480 in a regular basis. And I'm sorry to say but I've been out of the loop for almost a year now so I'm definitely not sure what's the latest and greatest.
post #4 of 11
Is your overclocked i7 920 and 24GB of RAM not fast enough..? rolleyes.gif So, I'm guessing you are looking for a Sandy i7 2600K build? Are you going to sell your current parts from your old build, or is that already part of the $1200?
X99
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @4.4ghz 1.25 volts ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Corsair Vengenace LPX 4x4 16GB 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB WD Black - WD Blue  LG WH14NS40 Blu Ray Burner Swiftech H240X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU 27" IPS 144hz G-Sync Corsair K70 Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe DeathAdder Chroma Corsair MM200 Wide Corsair Vengeance 1500 
  hide details  
Reply
X99
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @4.4ghz 1.25 volts ASUS X99 Deluxe ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Corsair Vengenace LPX 4x4 16GB 3000Mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB WD Black - WD Blue  LG WH14NS40 Blu Ray Burner Swiftech H240X 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 8.1 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro x64 Acer XB270HU 27" IPS 144hz G-Sync Corsair K70 Cooler Master V1000 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Phanteks Enthoo Luxe DeathAdder Chroma Corsair MM200 Wide Corsair Vengeance 1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ep45-ds3l View Post

Is your overclocked i7 920 and 24GB of RAM not fast enough..? rolleyes.gif So, I'm guessing you are looking for a Sandy i7 2600K build?

Haha well my 920 is fine but I think it's time for an upgrade. Unless there's something worthwhile to wait for coming up around the summer season? Oh and I didn't know I put 24gb of ram, it's just 6 tongue.gif
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Lee View Post

I use a GTX 480 in a regular basis. And I'm sorry to say but I've been out of the loop for almost a year now so I'm definitely not sure what's the latest and greatest.

the 3930k is basicly the new sixcore cpu from intel although at 1200 i would go with a gtx 570 and a 2600k put that on a good intel z68 chipset board with 8-16gb of 1866 memory

the 3930 is a bit too expensive for your budget and. a 2600k would do really well for what u need do u already have cpu cooling or do you need something?
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Lee View Post

I use a GTX 480 in a regular basis. And I'm sorry to say but I've been out of the loop for almost a year now so I'm definitely not sure what's the latest and greatest.

The GTX 480 is still no slouch by any standard. It's on par with a GTX 570 or 6970, and ties for the 3rd fastest graphics card on Earth as of now. The current king of the hill, the 7970, isn't even that much faster.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=508


If you do any sort of CUDA rendering, your GTX 480 will be plenty for now, and a second should solve any problems you have. That'll leave room in the budget for a build around this CPU, which will help if you do CPU rendering.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=3930k&x=0&y=0

This is a good motherboard to go with it (Asrock is great now, careful with ASUS nowadays)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157284

Get 16gb of RAM, or more if you wish since you have 8 RAM slots, some 1tb drives ( http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=samsung+1tb&hl=en&tok=7ofmJ8exVtQiYdzNXkMvnQ&ds=pr&cp=11&gs_id=1h&xhr=t&q=spinpoint+f3&safe=off&authuser=0&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=667&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1366483808779858026&sa=X&ei=21UnT57LBsmEsALd--jaAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQxBUwAA ),

and good reliable SSD like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442


This is a good case for almost any build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007

A good PSU that can handle 2 480s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028

Undoubtedly the best CPU cooler for the money
http://www.amazon.com/ThermalRight-HR-02-MACHO-Thermalright-Macho/dp/B005ERSN7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327978108&sr=8-1

Throw in the other tidbits like a DVD drive and such, and get your bro a 6870 or something, and that should be around $1200, and faster than what you have now.



EDIT: Now, if you do OpenGL rendering, a 7970 may be a very attractive option for you. In that case, go for an i7 2600k, a 7970 or 7950, this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

And the same stuff as the other build.
Edited by brucethemoose - 1/30/12 at 6:56pm
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

The GTX 480 is still no slouch by any standard. It's on par with a GTX 570 or 6970, and ties for the 3rd fastest graphics card on Earth as of now. The current king of the hill, the 7970, isn't even that much faster.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=508
If you do any sort of CUDA rendering, your GTX 480 will be plenty for now, and a second should solve any problems you have. That'll leave room in the budget for a build around this CPU, which will help if you do CPU rendering.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=3930k&x=0&y=0
This is a good motherboard to go with it (Asrock is great now, careful with ASUS nowadays)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157284
Get 16gb of RAM, or more if you wish since you have 8 RAM slots, some 1tb drives ( http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=samsung+1tb&hl=en&tok=7ofmJ8exVtQiYdzNXkMvnQ&ds=pr&cp=11&gs_id=1h&xhr=t&q=spinpoint+f3&safe=off&authuser=0&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=667&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1366483808779858026&sa=X&ei=21UnT57LBsmEsALd--jaAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQxBUwAA ),
and good reliable SSD like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
This is a good case for almost any build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007
A good PSU that can handle 2 480s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028
Undoubtedly the best CPU cooler for the money
http://www.amazon.com/ThermalRight-HR-02-MACHO-Thermalright-Macho/dp/B005ERSN7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327978108&sr=8-1
Throw in the other tidbits like a DVD drive and such, and get your bro a 6870 or something, and that should be around $1200, and faster than what you have now.
EDIT: Now, if you do OpenGL rendering, a 7970 may be a very attractive option for you. In that case, go for an i7 2600k, a 7970 or 7950, this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
And the same stuff as the other build.

you realise this is $300 over his budget with no video card
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer86 View Post

the 3930k is basicly the new sixcore cpu from intel although at 1200 i would go with a gtx 570 and a 2600k put that on a good intel z68 chipset board with 8-16gb of 1866 memory
the 3930 is a bit too expensive for your budget and. a 2600k would do really well for what u need do u already have cpu cooling or do you need something?

I'll probably do air for a while and eventually I'll change out everything with watercooling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

The GTX 480 is still no slouch by any standard. It's on par with a GTX 570 or 6970, and ties for the 3rd fastest graphics card on Earth as of now. The current king of the hill, the 7970, isn't even that much faster.
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/518?vs=508
If you do any sort of CUDA rendering, your GTX 480 will be plenty for now, and a second should solve any problems you have. That'll leave room in the budget for a build around this CPU, which will help if you do CPU rendering.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=-1&isNodeId=1&Description=3930k&x=0&y=0
This is a good motherboard to go with it (Asrock is great now, careful with ASUS nowadays)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157284
Get 16gb of RAM, or more if you wish since you have 8 RAM slots, some 1tb drives ( http://www.google.com/products/catalog?pq=samsung+1tb&hl=en&tok=7ofmJ8exVtQiYdzNXkMvnQ&ds=pr&cp=11&gs_id=1h&xhr=t&q=spinpoint+f3&safe=off&authuser=0&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1366&bih=667&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1366483808779858026&sa=X&ei=21UnT57LBsmEsALd--jaAg&sqi=2&ved=0CFUQxBUwAA ),
and good reliable SSD like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
This is a good case for almost any build.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811352007
A good PSU that can handle 2 480s
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028
Undoubtedly the best CPU cooler for the money
http://www.amazon.com/ThermalRight-HR-02-MACHO-Thermalright-Macho/dp/B005ERSN7G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1327978108&sr=8-1
Throw in the other tidbits like a DVD drive and such, and get your bro a 6870 or something, and that should be around $1200, and faster than what you have now.
EDIT: Now, if you do OpenGL rendering, a 7970 may be a very attractive option for you. In that case, go for an i7 2600k, a 7970 or 7950, this motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271
And the same stuff as the other build.

Cheers, I'll definitely look into those!
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer86 View Post

you realise this is $300 over his budget with no video card

Whoops, my math was wrong.

Switch the 128GB SSD for a 64gb one (for Intel SSD caching), get an Antec 300, a cheaper mobo, buy some stuff used, and that should help.

A 2600k wouldn't be a massive upgrade over a decently OC'd 920 anyway. As he's rendering, I was just trying to squeeze a 3930k in there.
Edited by brucethemoose - 1/30/12 at 7:29pm
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › Upgrading from Bloomfield, Suggestions?