Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › 2500k SMP and 580 - 3 or 4 cores?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

2500k SMP and 580 - 3 or 4 cores?

post #1 of 12
Thread Starter 
Not sure if it's just me, but the new search never gives me what I am looking for...

Wondering if I am going to be leaving my rig folding most of the day is it better to have all 4 cores on smp or leave one for the GPU? Wondering total PPD wise.

I assume its it worth it to take the hit on the GPU PPD and get the most out of the SMP but I'm not sure.

Right now I'm getting 19k on the non -advmethods GPU WU's.
post #2 of 12
262

Throw advmethods WUs on the 580 and then you can do SMP4 easily. Tell me what GPU client you use if you need help putting the advmethods WUs on there.
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

262
Throw advmethods WUs on the 580 and then you can do SMP4 easily. Tell me what GPU client you use if you need help putting the advmethods WUs on there.

I find the advmethods only give me 2-3k more ppd for 10-12c temp raise. Since I usually pause my folding when I'm on the computer anyway I find that it ends up being even since they take longer anyway.

So SMP 4 regardless?
Edited by tats - 1/30/12 at 9:49pm
post #4 of 12
The gain from advmethods WUs are not in the GPU side of things but the CPU side. They free up about 5% of CPU time and that is a huge increase in CPU PPD in my case, like 22K to 30K huge. As for the pausing and the fact they take longer the GPU WUs don't have bonus points so it doesn't matter how long they take or if you pause them. So if you can handle the heat of them then the advmethods WUs are all around the best thing for getting the most out of your folding, and if you can't handle the heat (looks at AXP wth.gif) then just reduce your overclock on the GPU to a level that you are comfortable with the heat.

In addition to the advmethods WUs you also should set your CPU up on a VM as it will further increase your CPU PPD. This is the guide I use and like, it's pretty easy to follow. For your case you'd just have to enable virtualization in your BIOS before starting, then follow the guide as normal until you get to the web set up stage at which point you would only want 4 cores instead of 8 and your kernel should say sandybridge instead of i7.

With those two changes you would be within 1-2% of the absolute best you could expect out of your machine, and there is no reason not to do both of them.
Edited by juano - 1/30/12 at 10:10pm
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

The gain from advmethods WUs are not in the GPU side of things but the CPU side. They free up about 5% of CPU time and that is a huge increase in CPU PPD in my case, like 22K to 30K huge. As for the pausing and the fact they take longer the GPU WUs don't have bonus points so it doesn't matter how long they take or if you pause them. So if you can handle the heat of them then the advmethods WUs are all around the best thing for getting the most out of your folding, and if you can't handle the heat (looks at AXP wth.gif) then just reduce your overclock on the GPU to a level that you are comfortable with the heat.
In addition to the advmethods WUs you also should set your CPU up on a VM as it will further increase your CPU PPD. This is the guide I use and like, it's pretty easy to follow. For your case you'd just have to enable virtualization in your BIOS before starting, then follow the guide as normal until you get to the web set up stage at which point you would only want 4 cores instead of 8 and your kernel should say sandybridge instead of i7.
With those two changes you would be within 1-2% of the absolute best you could expect out of your machine, and there is no reason not to do both of them.

Which guide?
post #6 of 12
Whoops. This one.
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

Whoops. This one.

Great - I was all ready to set this up until I saw that the FaH file will take 55 min to download....

Well guess I'll do SMP 4 in windows until after work tomorrow
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tats View Post

Great - I was all ready to set this up until I saw that the FaH file will take 55 min to download....
Well guess I'll do SMP 4 in windows until after work tomorrow

That shouldn't be, it's only like 40 mb.
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 12
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by juano View Post

That shouldn't be, it's only like 40 mb.

Tell me bout it. I have a 8mb/s connection but this is chugging along at like 15kb/s...

Bit of a noob question, will I fold on my gpu in the vm also? Or just CPU?
post #10 of 12
Just the CPU in the VM and the GPU will still be in windows, in the v6.41 systray client preferably.
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2700k ASUS P8P67 WS Revolution EVGA 980 Ti SC+ Samsung 4x4GB DDR3 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 850 Evo 1TB Samsung Spinpoint F4 2TB Samsung BD Combo Noctua NH-D14 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 10 64 bit Asus PG279Q Kingwin Lazer Platinum 1000W Silverstone Raven RV03 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Overclock.net Folding@Home Team
Overclock.net › Forums › Overclockers Care › Overclock.net Folding@Home Team › 2500k SMP and 580 - 3 or 4 cores?