Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › $3000 Gaming/Media MONSTER -- *COMPLETE* --
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

$3000 Gaming/Media MONSTER -- *COMPLETE* -- - Page 2

post #11 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KuuFA View Post

^bc it uses the same sandforce driver as the force gt so therefore it is slower than the m4

Thanks KuuFa. So are you saying that the m4 is faster than the Samsung 830? I have seen the opposite in some tests.
post #12 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzube14 View Post

Thanks KuuFa. So are you saying that the m4 is faster than the Samsung 830? I have seen the opposite in some tests.

^in all honesty I just don't know, the ssd guru sean webster would know and hopefully he finds this thread lol...
Small wonder.
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Impact EVGA 980Ti Classified G.skill Aegis 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.skill Aegis Samsung Evo 120gb Toshiba X300 Koolance 380i w/ Various WC goodness! 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows10 pro LG 34uc88-p Dell P2411H Varmilo  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750 Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX Logitech G502 <3 X-Trac Ripper XXL <3 
Audio
Kingston Hyper X Cloud II 
  hide details  
Reply
Small wonder.
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Impact EVGA 980Ti Classified G.skill Aegis 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.skill Aegis Samsung Evo 120gb Toshiba X300 Koolance 380i w/ Various WC goodness! 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows10 pro LG 34uc88-p Dell P2411H Varmilo  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX750 Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ITX Logitech G502 <3 X-Trac Ripper XXL <3 
Audio
Kingston Hyper X Cloud II 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 88
You can't really generalise ALL M4s vs 830's, they are very similar in performance, so really just preference over one. I have an m4 and love it, but my ASSSD benchmark score is not the same as others, so it's how you set them up, or optimise the drive that really counts. Either of those drives would be great.
post #14 of 88
it's also because the sandforce is absolutely trash and usually unreliable, and degrades very quickly in my experience. I had an OCZ Solid 3, Agility 3, and Vertex 3, all got returned and I got my 830 series and never looked back. I also have a crucial m4 in a lenovo thinkpad that performs solid. really just choosing one is all it takes.
post #15 of 88
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftkidd2323 View Post

it's also because the sandforce is absolutely trash and usually unreliable, and degrades very quickly in my experience. I had an OCZ Solid 3, Agility 3, and Vertex 3, all got returned and I got my 830 series and never looked back. I also have a crucial m4 in a lenovo thinkpad that performs solid. really just choosing one is all it takes.

Thanks, I think I'll go with the M4 256GB.

At this point, this is what I have (changes in RED)
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP​ (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U/

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performanc​e Power Supply - CMPSU-850AX
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Certified-High-Performance/dp/B003PJ6QW4/

Motherboard: ASUS Intel LGA 1155 - Z68 PCIe 3.0
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Intel-LGA-1155-Motherboards/dp/B006L6ZISG/

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I72600K-Core-i7-2600K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXSA/

CPU Cooler: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (What's the best brand for this card?)
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-7970PE53G/dp/B006UACSZ4/

Memory (RAM): G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800 Desktop Memory F3-12800CL9D-8G​BXL
http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-1600MHz-PC3-12800-F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL/dp/B004HZG4ZO/

HDD/SSD: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/

DVD/CD Drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-24x8x16x-48x32x48x-DRW-24B1ST/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/

Monitor: Samsung S27A950D 27-Inch Class 3D LED Monitor (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27A950D-27-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B004Z75LX0/

Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Illuminated-Keyboard-K800/dp/B003VAGXWK/

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/

Misc:
Audio-Technica ATHM50S Professional Monitor Headphones
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/

Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protectors
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BP112230-08-Pivot-Plug-Surge-Protectors/dp/B000JE9LD4/

Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - E6
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/

Allsop Metal Art Monitor Stand (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Allsop-Metal-Monitor-Stand-Black/dp/B003M2YDE2/

Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-HD-Pro-Webcam-C910/dp/B003M2YT96/

Any more suggestions?
post #16 of 88
I would suggest getting 2011 with an SB-E 6 core processor, considering you video edit. They are a good chunk of change more. However, it is definitely something to consider and definitely possible with $3000.
First Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Maximus III Formula Crossfire HD 6850s G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 SATAIII SSD Western Digital Caviar Black SATAII LG UH08LS10 Blu-Ray Burner Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Acer V273H Saitek Cyborg Kingwin Lazer 850W 80+ 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Raven RV-03 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Microsoft "Geek" Pad Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
Audio
Razer Orca Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
First Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 860 Maximus III Formula Crossfire HD 6850s G.Skill Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial M4 SATAIII SSD Western Digital Caviar Black SATAII LG UH08LS10 Blu-Ray Burner Corsair H80 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Acer V273H Saitek Cyborg Kingwin Lazer 850W 80+ 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Silverstone Raven RV-03 Cyborg R.A.T. 7 Microsoft "Geek" Pad Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro 
Audio
Razer Orca Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzube14 View Post

Thanks, I think I'll go with the M4 256GB.
At this point, this is what I have (changes in RED) Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP​ (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U/
Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performanc​e Power Supply - CMPSU-850AX
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Certified-High-Performance/dp/B003PJ6QW4/
Motherboard: ASUS Intel LGA 1155 - Z68 PCIe 3.0
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Intel-LGA-1155-Motherboards/dp/B006L6ZISG/
Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I72600K-Core-i7-2600K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXSA/
CPU Cooler: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (What's the best brand for this card?)
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-7970PE53G/dp/B006UACSZ4/
Memory (RAM): G.SKILL 8GB (2 x 4GB) Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz 240-Pin PC3-12800 Desktop Memory F3-12800CL9D-8G​BXL
http://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-Ripjaws-1600MHz-PC3-12800-F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL/dp/B004HZG4ZO/
HDD/SSD: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/
DVD/CD Drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-24x8x16x-48x32x48x-DRW-24B1ST/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/
Monitor: Samsung S27A950D 27-Inch Class 3D LED Monitor (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27A950D-27-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B004Z75LX0/
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Illuminated-Keyboard-K800/dp/B003VAGXWK/
Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-ProMedia-Certified-Computer-Speaker/dp/B000062VUO/
Misc:
Audio-Technica ATHM50S Professional Monitor Headphones
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/
Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protectors
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BP112230-08-Pivot-Plug-Surge-Protectors/dp/B000JE9LD4/
Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - E6
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/
Allsop Metal Art Monitor Stand (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Allsop-Metal-Monitor-Stand-Black/dp/B003M2YDE2/
Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-HD-Pro-Webcam-C910/dp/B003M2YT96/
Any more suggestions?

well, you might want to grab yourself a sound card if you're getting some nice headphones and 2.1 set. i'm not too big into audio, but i'm sure you can hop over to the audio section to find some stuff people are using. another change i would make, is if you're really into media/video editing, you might want to get 16gb of ram, it's so cheap anyways, you can grab 16gb for around $70. as for the videocard, you may want to look at XFX's cooling design. it's very nice, and the card just looks so luxurious and premium compared to the reference cooler. finally, you may want to look around for a cheap hard drive, or if you have an external drive rip it open and take out the drive. 256GB is plenty for windows, programs, and games, but you will probably need a drive for your media/movies/music/etc.
post #18 of 88
for 3K I would be going a bit more crazy on audio. You can get 2 Polk Audio R150 Bookshelf speakers for 100 bucks, pick up a decent sub and any denon, yamaha receiver with HDMI and you got some kick butt face audio.

It'd come to about 400 all together...maybe 500 depending where you get from.
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700K GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7 Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB PC4-24000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
Hobbes
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel I7 7700K GIGABYTE AORUS GA-Z270X-Gaming K7 Gigabyte AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance RGB LED 16GB PC4-24000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB EK Predator 240mm Windows 7 x64 Das Keyboard 4 Professional CherryMX Blue 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic X750 Gold Corsair Carbide Air 540 Logitech G900 Schiit Bifrost Uber W/ USB Gen 2 DAC 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Schiit Asgard 2 Headphone Amp Audioengine N22 Speaker Amp AudioQuest Nighthawk Audioengine P4 Monitors. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 88
Get an MSI 7970 and some sort of mechanical keyboard (das, ducky or filco and some others out there)
Desktop
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB (OC Edition) Corsair Vengenace 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 64-bit LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master QuickFire Pro (MX Brown) Rosewill HIVE-550W Cooler Master 690 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
Desktop
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500k Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6950 2GB (OC Edition) Corsair Vengenace 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Windows 7 64-bit LG W2353V-PF Black 23" 2ms(GTG) 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Cooler Master QuickFire Pro (MX Brown) Rosewill HIVE-550W Cooler Master 690 Logitech MX518 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 88
Thread Starter 
I have looked at the suggestions. I don't think I'll be going for the LGA 2011, as it far exeeds my limits. And as far as speakers go, I can't go all out, I'm only in a college dorm room tongue.gif.

Updated below Goodies! (Click to show)
Case: Cooler Master HAF ATX Mid Tower Case, RC-922M-KKN1-GP​ (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Tower-RC-922M-KKN1-GP-Black/dp/B0026FCI2U/

Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series Gold 850-Watt 80 Plus Gold Certified High-Performanc​e Power Supply - CMPSU-850AX
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Professional-850-Watt-Certified-High-Performance/dp/B003PJ6QW4/

Motherboard: ASUS Intel LGA 1155 - Z68 PCIe 3.0
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Intel-LGA-1155-Motherboards/dp/B006L6ZISG/

Processor: Intel Core i7-2600K Processor
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-BX80623I72600K-Core-i7-2600K-Processor/dp/B004EBUXSA/

CPU Cooler: Noctua 6 Dual Heatpipe with 140mm/120mm Dual SSO Bearing Fans CPU Cooler NH-D14 - Retail
http://www.amazon.com/Noctua-Heatpipe-Bearing-Cooler-NH-D14/dp/B002VKVZ1A/

Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7970 (What's the best brand for this card?)
http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-Radeon-GDDR5-Graphics-7970PE53G/dp/B006UACSZ4/

Memory (RAM): G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231315

HDD/SSD: Crucial 256 GB m4 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive SATA 6Gb/s CT256M4SSD2
http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-Inch-Solid-State-CT256M4SSD2/dp/B004W2JL2A/

DVD/CD Drive: Asus 24xDVD±RW Drive DVD-RAM/±R/±RW 24x8x16x(DVD) 48x32x48x(CD) Serial ATA Internal OEM DRW-24B1ST (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Asus-24xDVD%C2%B1RW-24x8x16x-48x32x48x-DRW-24B1ST/dp/B0033Z2BAQ/

Monitor: Samsung S27A950D 27-Inch Class 3D LED Monitor (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-S27A950D-27-Inch-Class-Monitor/dp/B004Z75LX0/

Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Illuminated Keyboard K800
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Illuminated-Keyboard-K800/dp/B003VAGXWK/

Speakers: Klipsch Promedia 2.1

Misc:
Audio-Technica ATHM50S Professional Monitor Headphones
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATHM50S-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B004ZG9TMA/

ASUS XONAR D1 -7.1 Channel PCI Audio Card Sound Card
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-XONAR-Channel-Audio-Sound/dp/B001EZQ8YC/

Belkin Pivot-Plug Surge Protectors
http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-BP112230-08-Pivot-Plug-Surge-Protectors/dp/B000JE9LD4/

Allsop Metal Art Monitor Stand (Black)
http://www.amazon.com/Allsop-Metal-Monitor-Stand-Black/dp/B003M2YDE2/

Logitech HD Pro Webcam C910
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-HD-Pro-Webcam-C910/dp/B003M2YT96/

Optional:
Fiio E6 Headphone Amplifier - E6
http://www.amazon.com/Fiio-E6-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005HJWWW8/

EDIT: Any more suggestions are more than welcome!
Edited by nzube14 - 2/1/12 at 9:50pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel - General › $3000 Gaming/Media MONSTER -- *COMPLETE* --