Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [TPB] 3 Former TPB admins sentenced to prison
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TPB] 3 Former TPB admins sentenced to prison - Page 3

post #21 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

They deserve longer than just 2-8 months, in my opinion. I see proponents of TPB as being extremely arrogant to think that they can distribute intellectual property that doesn't belong to them.
No one elected them the champion of all information and I hate when entities take it upon themselves to do just that.


Intellectual property is a myth created by the state.

 

If anything, very long prison sentences will just give martyr status to these people. It's not going to change their mindset at all.

post #22 of 71
Our country is really making me angry
It's a computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2500k 4.5ghz @1.35v Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Asus GTX 470 725/1694 @1.025v EVGA GTS 450 900/1804 (PhysX) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8gb Gskill 1600mhz 640gb, Seagate 1tb Spinpoint F3, Kingston 60gb SSD LG Combo Thermaltake SpinQ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit Ultimate Acer X203H 1600x900 CM Storm Quickfire w/ Blues PC Power and Cooling 750watt Silencer MKII 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Raven RV02 Microsoft 1.1A Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
It's a computer
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2500k 4.5ghz @1.35v Asrock Extreme 3 Gen 3 Asus GTX 470 725/1694 @1.025v EVGA GTS 450 900/1804 (PhysX) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
8gb Gskill 1600mhz 640gb, Seagate 1tb Spinpoint F3, Kingston 60gb SSD LG Combo Thermaltake SpinQ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 64bit Ultimate Acer X203H 1600x900 CM Storm Quickfire w/ Blues PC Power and Cooling 750watt Silencer MKII 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Raven RV02 Microsoft 1.1A Razer Goliathus 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 71
Intellectual property is the biggest piece of crap ever created.
post #24 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by BizzareRide View Post

They deserve longer than just 2-8 months, in my opinion. I see proponents of TPB as being extremely arrogant to think that they can distribute intellectual property that doesn't belong to them.
No one elected them the champion of all information and I hate when entities take it upon themselves to do just that.

It is possible to do a specific Google search that will give you direct links to copyrighted mp3 files (songs).
^ What Google does is on the same legal grounds as what TPB does - they index links/references to material, neither of them host the material, they just host links.

The only difference between the 2 is that Google plays nice with DMCA and their requests because they are in the US and vulnerable, but in Sweden DMCA takedown requests have no effect because TPB will always be able to just argue "we don't host ANY copyrighted material, *bleep* you".
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium III 733 MHz On-board 32MB Graphics 256MB DDR 19GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows XP Pro 15" CRT Display 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Pentium III 733 MHz On-board 32MB Graphics 256MB DDR 19GB Hitachi 
OSMonitor
Windows XP Pro 15" CRT Display 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post

Intellectual property is a myth created by the state.

If anything, very long prison sentences will just give martyr status to these people. It's not going to change their mindset at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post

Intellectual property is the biggest piece of crap ever created.

Where is this mindset coming from that one who creates something deserves no rights to their creation? Intellectual property a "myth?" Really? rolleyes.gif

I understand that piracy will always exist in some form, but to actually insult the concept of intellectual property as a whole just baffles me. Would you guys suggest we just allow all forms of digital media to be distributed for free legally across the world? What if the idea of free stuff catches on a bit too much, and the profits from some of the less successful projects become no longer worth it?

If I'm taking either of you the wrong way, feel free to point it out, but I cannot fathom how one could seriously advocate against a creator's right to his or her work.
post #26 of 71
Is a nuclear bomb patented or copyrighted?
post #27 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike395 View Post


Where is this mindset coming from that one who creates something deserves no rights to their creation? Intellectual property a "myth?" Really? rolleyes.gif
I understand that piracy will always exist in some form, but to actually insult the concept of intellectual property as a whole just baffles me. Would you guys suggest we just allow all forms of digital media to be distributed for free legally across the world? What if the idea of free stuff catches on a bit too much, and the profits from some of the less successful projects become no longer worth it?
If I'm taking either of you the wrong way, feel free to point it out, but I cannot fathom how one could seriously advocate against a creator's right to his or her work.


Digital information is post-scarcity. It's nothing but a string of 1s and 0s, and can be cloned indefinitely for essentially nothing. Physical property exists in finite quantities and is therefore "scarce", intellectual property and digital information is not. It's kept artificially scarce to maximize profit, nothing more. Do you think the federal government's first and foremost concern should be about protecting the profits of corporations and businesses, especially in this day and age and with all else that's happening right now? Might just be me, but I for one think that thousands of Americans dying per year because they can't access healthcare seems like it should be a bigger concern than Hollywood whining about supposedly losing money to piracy all while posting record profits.

 

post #28 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike395 View Post

Where is this mindset coming from that one who creates something deserves no rights to their creation? Intellectual property a "myth?" Really? rolleyes.gif
I understand that piracy will always exist in some form, but to actually insult the concept of intellectual property as a whole just baffles me. Would you guys suggest we just allow all forms of digital media to be distributed for free legally across the world? What if the idea of free stuff catches on a bit too much, and the profits from some of the less successful projects become no longer worth it?
If I'm taking either of you the wrong way, feel free to point it out, but I cannot fathom how one could seriously advocate against a creator's right to his or her work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4
post #29 of 71
The way the worlds going, Youll get finned/jailed in the future just for talking about a movie or song you heard.
post #30 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm View Post



Digital information is post-scarcity. It's nothing but a string of 1s and 0s, and can be cloned indefinitely for essentially nothing. Physical property exists in finite quantities and is therefore "scarce", intellectual property and digital information is not. It's kept artificially scarce to maximize profit, nothing more. Do you think the federal government's first and foremost concern should be about protecting the profits of corporations and businesses, especially in this day and age and with all else that's happening right now? Might just be me, but I for one think that thousands of Americans dying per year because they can't access healthcare seems like it should be a bigger concern than Hollywood whining about supposedly losing money to piracy all while posting record profits.

Of course they keep it scarce to maximize profits. That's the point, and the reason why these people are able to create this stuff to begin with. It's their job. Once it's created, they could make enough copies to give it to everyone on Earth for free if they wanted to, but then suddenly all the money that went into the project becomes worthless and the company would no longer bother making future projects. Also, I'm no just saying this because of big corporations. This goes from the big corporations down to the indie devs down to the guy programming his own content in his basement. It's their work, they deserve ownership. If you think intellectual property is a complete farce, let the world give away/sell copied content legally in both stores and online, since it's infinite and holds no true worth, and watch what happens to the digital media market.

Also, whether I think piracy is the most urgent issue in the world today (I don't) has nothing to do with whether I think a creator deserves rights to their creation (I do).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb213 View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk862BbjWx4

A video about lengthening the amount of time a product is copyrighted. So that proves that intellectual property is wrong? What?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Rumors and Unconfirmed Articles › [TPB] 3 Former TPB admins sentenced to prison