Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Pull 7950 trigger or wait even longer?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Pull 7950 trigger or wait even longer?

post #1 of 2
Thread Starter 
Hello!

I posted here about a month ago regarding a GPU upgrade I was intending to make. However, I was advised to wait for the newer 79xx chips before making any decisions. Now that the 7950 has released in addition to the 7970, I feel that I am close to making a 7950 purchase. I know we have very little, if any credible information regarding Kepler, but one could wait for the next gen GPU back and forth forever...

Do you guys think I'm good to go ahead, or is it likely that we're gonna face a (significant) price drop and I'll end up kicking myself a few weeks from now? I plan on selling my 6850, so if the price of that would drop, too, then that's worth taking into consideration.

There's also the option of dual 7870s, but I'm quite sensitive to stuttering, so I'm afraid that I'd get the short end of the stick in that regard.

I will play BF3, Metro 2033, Crytek stuff, Skyrim, etc on 1920x1080p (BEFORE I upgrade my GPU again I'd like to set-up multimonitor/higher res.)

April seems oh so far away.

Thanks!
Edited by nwkegan - 2/1/12 at 11:53am
Gladiator
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k MSI P67a-G43 EVGA GTX 670 FTW 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 1TB Windows 7 64 23" LCD Antec Earthwatts 650w 
CaseMouse
HAF 912 G9 Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
Gladiator
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5 2500k MSI P67a-G43 EVGA GTX 670 FTW 8 GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 MHz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
Seagate 1TB Windows 7 64 23" LCD Antec Earthwatts 650w 
CaseMouse
HAF 912 G9 Logitech 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 2
From what I understand you can overclock the 7950 to stock 7970 speeds and almost be on par with them, and unless you plan on crossfire down the road, there won't be any micro-stuttering. Also If you plan on selling your 6850 you better do it ASAP, who knows when the price will drop on those cards and you'll only be able to sell yours for $100 or less.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Pull 7950 trigger or wait even longer?