Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › PC in Xbox Shell, RF Module Help.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

PC in Xbox Shell, RF Module Help. - Page 2

post #11 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordocai rp View Post

661
that? also here is a link for led lights that are good http://www.phenoptix.com/

noo, On the back of the module for the LED's in the picture you showed me above there is a GND and a 3.3v, what would I use for 3.3v power?
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 19
a wire with resistors? im not fully certain, ill look into it though
post #13 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordocai rp View Post

a wire with resistors? im not fully certain, ill look into it though

thanks, that'd be great to know thumb.gif If you don't end up finding out anything that's okay, I'll just use my own LED's behind it.
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 19
To start out, I'll mention that most LEDs require between 2-3.5V. Because you will be wiring them to 5V or 12V, you will need to resist the current flow in the circuit, so you don't overpower the LED. This is the purpose of a resistor. The resistor can be on the positive or negative side of your circuit, because it will resist the current either way. You should almost always connect LEDs to 5V, because that is already more than enough power for a 3.3V LED.

For a 3.3V 20mA LED, which is a good standard, a 100 Ohm 1/4W resistor wired to 5V is recommended. 2.1V 20mA LEDs will need a 150 Ohm 1/4W resistor per LED. Contact the distributor of the LEDs you bought for specs of your LEDs. Generally Red, Yellow, and Orange are 2.1V and all others are 3.3V.

It is also possible to use just one resistor in a circuit to power multiple LEDs. The two variations of this are parallel and series. Generally you will always use parallel, because with series, the Voltage required multiplies, so if you attempt to power 8 LEDs in series, it will require 26.4V (8*3.3).

You can always use a resistor with higher Ohms and higher Wattage, but the higher in Ohms you go, the more dim the LED(s) will be. The higher the wattage, the bigger the resistor, but it will not affect your LEDs at all. Never go under the recommended Ohms or Wattage though.
367
post #15 of 19
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordocai rp View Post

To start out, I'll mention that most LEDs require between 2-3.5V. Because you will be wiring them to 5V or 12V, you will need to resist the current flow in the circuit, so you don't overpower the LED. This is the purpose of a resistor. The resistor can be on the positive or negative side of your circuit, because it will resist the current either way. You should almost always connect LEDs to 5V, because that is already more than enough power for a 3.3V LED.
For a 3.3V 20mA LED, which is a good standard, a 100 Ohm 1/4W resistor wired to 5V is recommended. 2.1V 20mA LEDs will need a 150 Ohm 1/4W resistor per LED. Contact the distributor of the LEDs you bought for specs of your LEDs. Generally Red, Yellow, and Orange are 2.1V and all others are 3.3V.
It is also possible to use just one resistor in a circuit to power multiple LEDs. The two variations of this are parallel and series. Generally you will always use parallel, because with series, the Voltage required multiplies, so if you attempt to power 8 LEDs in series, it will require 26.4V (8*3.3).
You can always use a resistor with higher Ohms and higher Wattage, but the higher in Ohms you go, the more dim the LED(s) will be. The higher the wattage, the bigger the resistor, but it will not affect your LEDs at all. Never go under the recommended Ohms or Wattage though.
367

Very helpful. Thanks. thumb.gifthumb.gif

So for a 3.3v 20mA LED, would these resistors work okay?

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062339

They are 100 Ohm 1/4W just like you said. biggrin.gif
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iinversion View Post

Very helpful. Thanks. thumb.gifthumb.gif
So for a 3.3v 20mA LED, would these resistors work okay?
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062339
They are 100 Ohm 1/4W just like you said. biggrin.gif

correcto mundo. Hope that answers your question, gl with the mod!
post #17 of 19
I realized this when I tried to wire my own power switch for my NES that you cannot merge the power switch's ground with the normal ground.
If you want to turn your xbox on with the RF adapter then wire the power lines separately from the USB connection for the dongle.

Also I suppose you could only have the green and white USB data wires connected to the dongle, with your power supply's 3.3V line (orange) and ground line (black) powering the adapter. It should work the same as having a 5V to 3.3V converter, minus needing the converter.
post #18 of 19
Hey man,

Couple years later but! You ever get this to work?! I'm working on getting the power button from my 360 working with my motherboard. Tried everything and haven't gotten it to work with the methods given.

Any success?
post #19 of 19
Thread Starter 
I never got it to work, but you would think it's possible. I gave up pretty quickly and put a ghetto power switch behind the button to make it work tongue.gif
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
Celerity
(21 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5-8600K @ 5.3GHz / 1.4v Asus Z370 Maximus X Hero (WiFi-AC) EVGA GTX 980 Ti Classified  Corsair Vengeance LPX 4x8GB 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 850 Pro 256 GB Western Digital Purple 2TB XSPC Raystorm Pro XSPC RX 360 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
XSPC D5 Photon 170 Windows 7 Professional Dell AW2518f BenQ GW2765 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ViewSonic XG2401 Corsair Strafe RGB MX Silent EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W Fractal Design Define S 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G900 SteelSeries QCK+ Sennheiser HD 598 FiiO E10K 
Other
Cablemod Sleeved Cables (Black/White) 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Case Mods › PC in Xbox Shell, RF Module Help.