Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Buying an SSD for later build, and current rig
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Buying an SSD for later build, and current rig

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am looking for an SSD for capturing Uncompressed video with a Blackmagic Intensity.

I am currently using a HP e9260f, but I will be building a new rig this summer. I will be using the card in the meantime though. My current board is only SATA 3Gbps (not sure if my PSU will be able to take another component as a SSD, so if you know anything on that front, let me know).

I am looking for a 90 to 120GB range SSD.
Something high(er) end, getting at least 200MB/s average writes on my current board.
Trying not too spend much. Preferably under $1.5/GB.

On my next build I might be using it as a Boot drive or as my capturing drive, not sure yet.

I am willing to wait until summer is something else is on the horizon, but otherwise, I would like to pick something up in the very near future. I stay on the lookout for a lot of this stuff (waiting for Ivy and Kepler) but the up and coming SSD market is really on the news feeds that I watch.

I was looking into a Vertex 3, but I am not sure if my current system can take it.

Thanks for the help guys.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 8
SSDs use ridiculously small amounts of power, less than 5 W, around 3 W max as seen here http://www.anandtech.com/show/4253/the-crucial-m4-micron-c400-ssd-review/11 . You don't need to worry about that at all.

SATA III is backwards compatable with SATA II, so you can use it just fine, it will be capped at the slower speeds, but it's not likely something you will notice.

Honestly, I wouldn't use an SSD as any sort of capture drive. They have great random access speeds but in comparison, their sustained write speeds aren't fantastic. SSDs also have a limited number of writes, which typically isn't a concern, but depending on how much data you plan on dumping onto it, it won't last as long as something like a mechanical HDD. It seems like a mech HDD would better fit your purpose here as they are larger and there wouldn't be much benefit to using a SSD, you won't be taking advantage of their random access times.

One option would be to get a SSD to use as your system drive, then dump the capture data onto your HDD, or just get an additional HDD to collect the captured data.

edit: As for which drive, most of the really cheap SATA III SSDs use sandforce controllers, which have been a bit unreliable to say the least. That may have been fixed with firmware, but I'm not sure. I would recommend a Crucual M4 or Samsung 830 series drive, both are SATA III and very reliable. If you want to go with a SATA II drive, the intel 320 series can sometimes be picked up for around $1/GB after MIR. I have an intel 320 series and love it. Typically, you won't be able to tell a difference between a SATA III drive and a SATA II one outside of benchmarks
Edited by Molybdenum - 2/2/12 at 9:39pm
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molybdenum View Post

SSDs use ridiculously small amounts of power, less than 5 W, I think. You don't need to worry about that at all.

I thought this was the case, but wasn't sure. I have seen some SSDs taking up 1.5W, but didn't know for certain. Thanks.
Quote:
SATA III is backwards compatable with SATA II, so you can use it just fine, it will be capped at the slower speeds, but it's not likely something you will notice.

I realized this, but didn't know if my board (a stock machine at that) would allow for it....just double checking before I buy.
Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't use an SSD as any sort of capture drive. They have great random access speeds but in comparison, their sustained write speeds aren't fantastic. SSDs also have a limited number of writes, which typically isn't a concern, but depending on how much data you plan on dumping onto it, it won't last as long as something like a mechanical HDD. It seems like a mech HDD would better fit your purpose here as they are larger and there wouldn't be much benefit to using a SSD, you won't be taking advantage of their random access times.

I haven't even heard of such a thing. I had no clue that SSDs started dropping in writes at longer files. Makes me sad honestly. Like in benchmarks though, they seem to stay flat on a HD Tune graph?
Quote:
One option would be to get a SSD to use as your system drive, then dump the capture data onto your HDD, or just get an additional HDD to collect the captured data
.

This is my plan. I will be capturing at something like 1GB/10 seconds. So I figure 15minutes of footage is roughly at most 100GB. And I rarely capture that long. What I usually do is capture it at one file location, then edit it down to chop out what I want, and try to keep it at the same encoding levels. Then move it to a reliable Terabyte drive, where the file is MUCH smaller, usually less than a gig.
Quote:
edit: As for which drive, most of the really cheap SATA III SSDs use sandforce controllers, which have been a bit unreliable to say the least. That may have been fixed with firmware, but I'm not sure. I would recommend a Crucual M4 or Samsung 830 series drive, both are SATA III and very reliable. If you want to go with a SATA II drive, the intel 320 series can sometimes be picked up for around $1/GB after MIR. I have an intel 320 series and love it. Typically, you won't be able to tell a difference between a SATA III drive and a SATA II one outside of benchmarks

Okay. Thanks for the opinion here. I will look into these drives and check out some bench's.


I did a little reading about Vertex 4's at CES, but if anyone has some legit knowledge on what is coming out before say like July ish this year. POST!

Thanks again.....cookiemonster haha
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 8
Do not use a SSD array for this, use HDDs, the write speeds of SSDs drop like crazy when they have constant writes to them.
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molybdenum View Post

Honestly, I wouldn't use an SSD as any sort of capture drive. They have great random access speeds but in comparison, their sustained write speeds aren't fantastic. SSDs also have a limited number of writes, which typically isn't a concern, but depending on how much data you plan on dumping onto it, it won't last as long as something like a mechanical HDD. It seems like a mech HDD would better fit your purpose here as they are larger and there wouldn't be much benefit to using a SSD, you won't be taking advantage of their random access times.

I haven't even heard of such a thing. I had no clue that SSDs started dropping in writes at longer files. Makes me sad honestly. Like in benchmarks though, they seem to stay flat on a HD Tune graph?

I don't think I was clear, sorry. They don't drop writes with longer files or anything of that concern, the limitation is that the cells in SSDs can only be written to a certain number of times. I can't find any numbers for it now, but it's typically not something of concern, unless you're writing hundreds of GB a day. If that's the case, you might just get 2-3 years out of it, whereas a mechanical would last a while longer. Because you're thinking of using a SSD for video capture, there is the possibility of writing that much data, so you could end up wearing it down faster, which is why I mentioned it. Typically it isn't of concern for everyday use (anything that's not collecting data)

So they'll stay flat on a HDtune graph, it's just that running that over and over (writing to the SSD many times) will wear it down. It will work for what you want, but it isn't as sustainable.

I would recommend a SSD highly, I just wouldn't use one to dump video capture data on because they're expensive in $/GB and you'll need a large one to hold the data you capture. You also won't get much of the speed benefit because it's just a big chunk of data.
post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Webster View Post

Do not use a SSD array for this, use HDDs, the write speeds of SSDs drop like crazy when they have constant writes to them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molybdenum View Post

I don't think I was clear, sorry. They don't drop writes with longer files or anything of that concern, the limitation is that the cells in SSDs can only be written to a certain number of times. I can't find any numbers for it now, but it's typically not something of concern, unless you're writing hundreds of GB a day. If that's the case, you might just get 2-3 years out of it, whereas a mechanical would last a while longer. Because you're thinking of using a SSD for video capture, there is the possibility of writing that much data, so you could end up wearing it down faster, which is why I mentioned it. Typically it isn't of concern for everyday use (anything that's not collecting data)
So they'll stay flat on a HDtune graph, it's just that running that over and over (writing to the SSD many times) will wear it down. It will work for what you want, but it isn't as sustainable.
I would recommend a SSD highly, I just wouldn't use one to dump video capture data on because they're expensive in $/GB and you'll need a large one to hold the data you capture. You also won't get much of the speed benefit because it's just a big chunk of data.

Okay. Really stinks because just popping in a SSD sounds SO much easier than setting up a RAID 0 and maybe even short stroking it. Gah. Even more so, because the HDD market is really crappy right now for obvious reasons.

Back in the day (like a a few years ago...lol) someone told me to get a few Spinpoint f4's and throw them in a RAID 0....but that was back in like 08 or 09'. What would you guys recommend for this then? Again, needing the same specs, and I don't need a LOT of space because the final files will be written on a different HDD. I honestly haven't cared about the HDD market or even read up on it at all in the past 3 years. All I know is that NAND is starting/will be starting to take a larger role with hybrid drives.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=19777806

Edit, I made it public, not sure whats wrong.
Edited by Caz - 2/28/12 at 6:40pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600k 4.5 @ 1.4 ASrock Z77 Pro3 Gigabyte 760 R2 1280/1875 <60C Kingston 8GB 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Agility 3 60GB Sandisk 128GB WD20EADS ASUS DRW-24B1ST 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
212+ Push Vertical 2x CM 200mm Megaflow Red Front Pull, Top Pull W7 Auria 27" 1440p eq276w 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Some HP PoS OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W HAF 912 Mod R.A.T. 3 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
None Xonar D1 Bamboo Splash Logitech z523 
Other
Shure SRH440 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8 of 8
Can't see the wishlist, can you make it public? Or list the parts out?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hard Drives & Storage
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › Buying an SSD for later build, and current rig