Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Laptop for School!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Laptop for School! - Page 3

post #21 of 29
Thread Starter 
How about a larger version of the Aspire TimelineX?
Acer Aspire TimelineX 4830TG
post #22 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grath View Post

My A135 has been to the help desk so many times. IMO, Toshiba blows. The Zenbook looks like a great option. Consider these:
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-laptops-ct-95_51_147.html
Or these
http://www.xoticpc.com/custom-gaming-laptops-notebooks-laptops-smaller-ct-95_51_146.html

I'd just like to point out that the A135 is a Toshiba Satellite. Any cheap low-end consumer laptop won't be amazing, and having a laptop that's more than 3 years old just isn't a good idea (4 yr warranties are too expensive; they're too slow, bad battery life etc.). My Portege is built from magnesium alloy, pretty high-end stuff.

Not to belabor the point but I'm sure lots of people hate the Lenovo G-series - they're not much better than any "entry-level" laptop. On the other hand, spend a couple hundred more and you can get a really nice Thinkpad/Ideapad. Same goes for Acer (most any laptop maker, actually), I wouldn't touch most of their Aspire laptops, but the TimelineX models look decent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznRage View Post

How about a larger version of the Aspire TimelineX?
Acer Aspire TimelineX 4830TG

The 4830TG is fine except it weighs almost 5 pounds, so while it's thin and has good battery, it's not that portable. Anything over 4 pounds really isn't light. It would be easier to help you pick something if we knew the criteria (before it was something like an ultrabook, or thin & light, and probably 13"?)
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Lanbox Lite
(16 items)
 
 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
i3-2310M Intel HD 3000 8GB DDR3 Samsung 830 64GB SSD 
Hard DriveOSMonitorCase
640GB Hitachi HDD Windows 7 13.3" LCD Magnesium Alloy, 3.2lbs 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 955 BE Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H MSI Hawk R5770 3x2GB G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3 250 GB WD Caviar Black Samsung 20X DVD-R/RW Thermaltake MaxOrb 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Noctua NF-B9-1600 Windows 7 Pro 64-bit BenQ E2420HD, 24" 1920x1080 TT Purepower 500W 
Case
TT Lanbox Lite 
  hide details  
Reply
post #23 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbroad77 View Post

I'd just like to point out that the A135 is a Toshiba Satellite. Any cheap low-end consumer laptop won't be amazing, and having a laptop that's more than 3 years old just isn't a good idea (4 yr warranties are too expensive; they're too slow, bad battery life etc.). My Portege is built from magnesium alloy, pretty high-end stuff.
Not to belabor the point but I'm sure lots of people hate the Lenovo G-series - they're not much better than any "entry-level" laptop. On the other hand, spend a couple hundred more and you can get a really nice Thinkpad/Ideapad. Same goes for Acer (most any laptop maker, actually), I wouldn't touch most of their Aspire laptops, but the TimelineX models look decent.
The 4830TG is fine except it weighs almost 5 pounds, so while it's thin and has good battery, it's not that portable. Anything over 4 pounds really isn't light. It would be easier to help you pick something if we knew the criteria (before it was something like an ultrabook, or thin & light, and probably 13"?)

Well my criteria have loosened a bit I think. Still looking for something nice and portable around 13 inches. I guess the 3830 would do fine.
post #24 of 29
Thread Starter 
*doublepostwarning

Bump!
I happened to bump into this laptop; there's only 1 review on it from NCIX so I was wondering if you guys have any input on it.
Samsung NP900X3A
post #25 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznRage View Post

Whoops, forgot to mention I have a certain dislike for HP after my 17" one died after 2 months. Sorry for the miss.

Same here, I had a Dv6 that started artifacting mad.gif
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K - 4.8GHz MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ASUS GTX1080 STRIX OC Corsair Dominator DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD LG Super Blue BD Drive H100i v2 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 4K IPS 27" Corsair K65 RGB OCZ Game X Stream 600w Corsair Carbide Air 540 
Mouse
Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
My PC
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K - 4.8GHz MSI Z97 Gaming 5 ASUS GTX1080 STRIX OC Corsair Dominator DDR3-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
SanDisk SSD LG Super Blue BD Drive H100i v2 Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 4K IPS 27" Corsair K65 RGB OCZ Game X Stream 600w Corsair Carbide Air 540 
Mouse
Logitech G502 
  hide details  
Reply
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznRage View Post

OS: Windows. What else?

On the off chance that you would consider using an Apple product, I can highly recommend the MacBook Air.
Yes I know, it's the Mac OS X, but I went to an all-laptop high-school for 3 years using a MacBook Pro 15". I do own a PC desktop and laptop at home, and I honestly have to say that for school related work and usage the Apple computers are just a lot more comfortable and simple to use.
They run smoothly and are robust for a long, long while and most of the important software you need for school is most likely available for them.
Just throwing it out there wink.gif Hope it helps!
Monsta
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8P67 DELUXE EVGA GTX-780 Dual Classified ACX (GK110, 3GB) Kingston  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Kingston  Kingston  Kingston  Seagate ST310005 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST31000524AS ASUS DRW-24B3ST Crosair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-Performan... Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2720Z 27" G15 Logitech Gaming keyboard (2009) HuntKey X7 900 (Total Power 900W) NZXT Phantom (Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G502 PROTEUS CORE Noteblock.. Logitech Z906 AKG Gaming Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Monsta
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8P67 DELUXE EVGA GTX-780 Dual Classified ACX (GK110, 3GB) Kingston  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Kingston  Kingston  Kingston  Seagate ST310005 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST31000524AS ASUS DRW-24B3ST Crosair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-Performan... Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2720Z 27" G15 Logitech Gaming keyboard (2009) HuntKey X7 900 (Total Power 900W) NZXT Phantom (Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G502 PROTEUS CORE Noteblock.. Logitech Z906 AKG Gaming Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #27 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKJ View Post

On the off chance that you would consider using an Apple product, I can highly recommend the MacBook Air.
Yes I know, it's the Mac OS X, but I went to an all-laptop high-school for 3 years using a MacBook Pro 15". I do own a PC desktop and laptop at home, and I honestly have to say that for school related work and usage the Apple computers are just a lot more comfortable and simple to use.
They run smoothly and are robust for a long, long while and most of the important software you need for school is most likely available for them.
Just throwing it out there wink.gif Hope it helps!

I would've used it but I'm a big fan of using modding tools like rainmeter and stuff to organize my desktop, so I don't like using Mac OS X
post #28 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznRage View Post

I would've used it but I'm a big fan of using modding tools like rainmeter and stuff to organize my desktop, so I don't like using Mac OS X

Yeah I understand, that is a valid point and downside about the trusty Mac's. Sadly not as many tools or opportunities arise in the modding area. Even though you could bootcamp it, but you would loose half the stability and security, since the Windows OS does run smoothly and well but still has it's childhood issues on bootcamp.
Monsta
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8P67 DELUXE EVGA GTX-780 Dual Classified ACX (GK110, 3GB) Kingston  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Kingston  Kingston  Kingston  Seagate ST310005 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST31000524AS ASUS DRW-24B3ST Crosair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-Performan... Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2720Z 27" G15 Logitech Gaming keyboard (2009) HuntKey X7 900 (Total Power 900W) NZXT Phantom (Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G502 PROTEUS CORE Noteblock.. Logitech Z906 AKG Gaming Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
Monsta
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600K P8P67 DELUXE EVGA GTX-780 Dual Classified ACX (GK110, 3GB) Kingston  
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Kingston  Kingston  Kingston  Seagate ST310005 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate ST31000524AS ASUS DRW-24B3ST Crosair Cooling Hydro Series H60 High-Performan... Windows 7 Ultimate (x64) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XL2720Z 27" G15 Logitech Gaming keyboard (2009) HuntKey X7 900 (Total Power 900W) NZXT Phantom (Black) 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
Logitech G502 PROTEUS CORE Noteblock.. Logitech Z906 AKG Gaming Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #29 of 29
Thread Starter 
The Samsung NP900x3a is the laptop which appeals to me the most. It has an SSD and weighs about the same as the Macbook Air and is also just as thin. Not to mention the beautiful curves on the side and the brushed aluminum look. *drool*
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › Laptop for School!