Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › asus g74sx overclocking? new to OC.net
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

asus g74sx overclocking? new to OC.net

post #1 of 23
Thread Starter 
first of all i want to start by apologize for my somewhat bad english.

hey all im new here name's shay

after that being said, i bought an sadly i had to buy an asus g74sx-bbk8 even that my original budget was 2600$ but i had to get a laptop fast so thats the best that best buy had atm, anyway i was looking to overclock it to improve cpu, loading times windows loading times and such, im not much of a gamer as in high graphic games (im playing fallout new vegas) but i do want to take out the best out of my laptop (even if it means to upgrade it which suggestions will be happliey accepted in lets say 600$ budget since i asked in the store and they said that since i only have 2 ram sockets of 4g theres nothing much i can or should do)

its a i7-2670QM cpu @ 2.20 GHZ
8 G ram
Nvidia GForce GTX 560M 2GB (Which is weird cuz i saw this version should have 3G)

so any suggestions and recommendations in a simple dummy english would be awsome

and if theres a guide i would probbley need a dummy guide cuz in these stuff i dont wanna take a risk


btw i have looked in some posts about this specific laptop (only that it had 3g graphic card) and some people offered using nvidia inspector or msiafterburn or riva tuner.. and i really didnt understand anything and didnt wanna touch anything without knowing.. just saying...


kk so...thanks in advance!
Edited by shayo - 2/3/12 at 6:29pm
post #2 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayo View Post

first of all i want to start by apologize for my somewhat bad english.
hey all im new here name's shay
after that being said, i bought an sadly i had to buy an asus g74sx-bbk8 even that my original budget was 2600$ but i had to get a laptop fast so thats the best that best buy had atm, anyway i was looking to overclock it to improve cpu, loading times windows loading times and such, im not much of a gamer as in high graphic games (im playing fallout new vegas) but i do want to take out the best out of my laptop (even if it means to upgrade it which suggestions will be happliey accepted in lets say 600$ budget since i asked in the store and they said that since i only have 2 ram sockets of 4g theres nothing much i can or should do)
its a i7-2670QM cpu @ 2.20 GHZ
8 G ram
Nvidia GForce GTX 560M 2GB (Which is weird cuz i saw this version should have 3G)
so any suggestions and recommendations in a simple dummy english would be awsome
and if theres a guide i would probbley need a dummy guide cuz in these stuff i dont wanna take a risk
thanks in advance!

Hello and welcome to Overclock.net!

Linky, it actually has 4x RAM slots, so it's possible that you can upgrade more RAM. The only real way to know is to physically check, retailers don't know what they're talking about half the time i'm afraid. I was once being told that a 2630M was the fastest processor in the world (which it isn't). It's just that the people instore do anything they can to get more money..

You made a good purchase on the laptop! I'm assuming you have the i7 one however? thumb.gif
Ian Rev 2.0
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1175/1250) G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 64GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
Ian Rev 2.0
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1175/1250) G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 64GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 23
Thread Starter 
hey!
thanks good to know, and yea its i7

OH YEA ONE MORE THING! i saw when i installed new drivers that i suddenly got enable 3d vision???? is that mean my screen supports 3d? its not even full HD if i recall right.... i ran some test someone gave on the forum on invidia website and it did aprove its 3d capable.. but still im not sure what it means and that means i can use ANY glasses? and where can i even buy a pair O.o?

sorry for all the questions lol and thanks again!
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayo View Post

hey!
thanks good to know, and yea its i7
OH YEA ONE MORE THING! i saw when i installed new drivers that i suddenly got enable 3d vision???? is that mean my screen supports 3d? its not even full HD if i recall right.... i ran some test someone gave on the forum on invidia website and it did aprove its 3d capable.. but still im not sure what it means and that means i can use ANY glasses? and where can i even buy a pair O.o?
sorry for all the questions lol and thanks again!

I'd say the graphics card is but your screen isn't. If you really want 3D you could use an external monitor, the problem is any games that are 3D capable won't run too well on your graphics card.. mad.gif
Ian Rev 2.0
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1175/1250) G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 64GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
Ian Rev 2.0
(27 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1175/1250) G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Crucial M4 64GB Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 7 Ultimate x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 23
Thread Starter 
i didnt really know there were 3d games... nah its actully for movies.. and that sucks i was actully happy and hoped i could watch 3d movies... =\ oh well..

and what about the overclocking? and upgrading?

oh yea and the ram at the start it says 4 socket and the 2... idk what it means

DDR3 1333 MHz SDRAM, 4 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 16 G SDRAM (Quad Core), 2 x SO-DIMM socket for expansion up to 8 G SDRAM (Dual Core)
Edited by shayo - 2/3/12 at 8:11pm
post #6 of 23
If you want to OC that laptop, use Nvidia Inspector for the GPU. That's about all you can do OC'ing wise.

Upgrading is easy for RAM and Hard Drives. 4 DIMM slots for a max of 16GB and 2 SATA connections for the Hard disk/Solid state (pick your poison)

I have one, see sig, and I haven't used my towers since I purchased it. Gets the job done at a fraction of the power usage compared to my towers.
Le Intel Build
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS p8p67 WS Revolution EVGA SC+ 680 02G-P4-2684-KR 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Black 120GB 510 series Elm Crest SSD Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
PowerCase
Seasonic X750 Raven RV02 White Edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k ASRock Z77E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 ZT-60103-10P G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2 LITE-ON IHBS312-98 COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 COUGAR CF-V12HP (x 3) 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM SeaSonic SS-520FL Bitfenix Prodigy Atomic Orange 
  hide details  
Reply
Le Intel Build
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS p8p67 WS Revolution EVGA SC+ 680 02G-P4-2684-KR 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Black 120GB 510 series Elm Crest SSD Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
PowerCase
Seasonic X750 Raven RV02 White Edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k ASRock Z77E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 ZT-60103-10P G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2 LITE-ON IHBS312-98 COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 COUGAR CF-V12HP (x 3) 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM SeaSonic SS-520FL Bitfenix Prodigy Atomic Orange 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 23
I've had good luck ocing my GT555M with MSI afterburner. Don't worry about ocing the cpu. Is is plenty powerful, and overclocks under load already.

I had even better luck with my gpu when I went into the msi settings and selected "Force Constant Voltage".
post #8 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post

If you want to OC that laptop, use Nvidia Inspector for the GPU. That's about all you can do OC'ing wise.
Upgrading is easy for RAM and Hard Drives. 4 DIMM slots for a max of 16GB and 2 SATA connections for the Hard disk/Solid state (pick your poison)
I have one, see sig, and I haven't used my towers since I purchased it. Gets the job done at a fraction of the power usage compared to my towers.

towers?
post #9 of 23
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEntel View Post

I've had good luck ocing my GT555M with MSI afterburner. Don't worry about ocing the cpu. Is is plenty powerful, and overclocks under load already.
I had even better luck with my gpu when I went into the msi settings and selected "Force Constant Voltage".

so what i have to do it just go to msi and select force constant voltage? or use the other program that suggested? i really need to understand what's better to do and how to do it and in which program
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayo View Post

towers?

See sig for "Le Intel Build" and "AMD Build"
Le Intel Build
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS p8p67 WS Revolution EVGA SC+ 680 02G-P4-2684-KR 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Black 120GB 510 series Elm Crest SSD Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
PowerCase
Seasonic X750 Raven RV02 White Edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k ASRock Z77E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 ZT-60103-10P G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2 LITE-ON IHBS312-98 COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 COUGAR CF-V12HP (x 3) 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM SeaSonic SS-520FL Bitfenix Prodigy Atomic Orange 
  hide details  
Reply
Le Intel Build
(12 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2600K ASUS p8p67 WS Revolution EVGA SC+ 680 02G-P4-2684-KR 2x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Caviar Black 120GB 510 series Elm Crest SSD Hyper 212+ Windows 7 Professional 64 bit 
PowerCase
Seasonic X750 Raven RV02 White Edition 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 G74Sx NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M  Samsung  
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung  Samsung  Momentus 7200.4 Scorpio Blue 
Mouse
Logitech G700 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 3770k ASRock Z77E-ITX ZOTAC GeForce GTX 680 ZT-60103-10P G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 2133 (PC3 ... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2 LITE-ON IHBS312-98 COOLER MASTER GeminII S524 COUGAR CF-V12HP (x 3) 
OSPowerCase
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM SeaSonic SS-520FL Bitfenix Prodigy Atomic Orange 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Laptops and Netbooks
Overclock.net › Forums › Mobile Computing Forum › Laptops and Netbooks › asus g74sx overclocking? new to OC.net