Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › File server?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

File server?

post #1 of 52
Thread Starter 
So i recently found about about FreeNAS from engadget and tried it out... for some reason im getting a slow speed when transferring... averaging 10-11mb/s over network

also, the use of their raid-z makes me lose more than 1/2 of the space i had put in... as shown below what is in the comp, i get like maybe 900GB usable space after it sets up... ideas?

im using my secondary comp so specs are something like

680i asus striker
q6600
4gb ddr2 1066 corsair dominator
8800gt
4 x 500GB hd's

i was lookin at some threads on ocn and around and people complained about FreeNAS.

is there something similar to FreeNAS that runs off a flash drive and can create a NAS out of a comp easily like FreeNAS?

something maybe accessible online too?
Edited by iandroo888 - 2/3/12 at 11:34pm
post #2 of 52
FreeNAS forum

Or there is NexentaStor @ http://www.nexenta.org/
Edited by PDXMark - 2/3/12 at 11:39pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400-CO/6 Lapped 4050MHz/1.38Vcore GA EP45 UD3R v1.1 F12 EVGA GTX275 SC HyperX 2*2GB 1080MHz KHX8500D2K2/4GN 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
System WD5000AAKS Media/Programs/Games WD5001AALS LG DVD/RW Modified 1986 Camaro Heatercore 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7x64Pro x2 953bw 1440x900 & Infocus IN75DPL Cherry G84-4100LCMUS-2 Corsair TX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 300 modified for WC Rad G500 Rocketfish Aluminium Teflon Realcrap ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E8400-CO/6 Lapped 4050MHz/1.38Vcore GA EP45 UD3R v1.1 F12 EVGA GTX275 SC HyperX 2*2GB 1080MHz KHX8500D2K2/4GN 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
System WD5000AAKS Media/Programs/Games WD5001AALS LG DVD/RW Modified 1986 Camaro Heatercore 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
W7x64Pro x2 953bw 1440x900 & Infocus IN75DPL Cherry G84-4100LCMUS-2 Corsair TX650 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Antec 300 modified for WC Rad G500 Rocketfish Aluminium Teflon Realcrap ALC889 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandroo888 View Post

So i recently found about about FreeNAS from engadget and tried it out... for some reason im getting a slow speed when transferring... averaging 10-11mb/s over network
also, the use of their raid-z makes me lose more than 1/2 of the space i had put in... as shown below what is in the comp, i get like maybe 900GB usable space after it sets up... ideas?
im using my secondary comp so specs are something like
680i asus striker
q6600
4gb ddr2 1066 corsair dominator
8800gt
4 x 500GB hd's
i was lookin at some threads on ocn and around and people complained about FreeNAS.
is there something similar to FreeNAS that runs off a flash drive and can create a NAS out of a comp easily like FreeNAS?
something maybe accessible online too?

Back the truck up!

10-12Mbps or MBps? Don't confuse Megabits with Megabytes, common mistake.

If you're using a 10/100 Switch you're getting the perfect speed. 10-12MBps is the limitation of 10/100.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Overdrive 486DX4 100Mhz Digital Venturis 466 S3 Trio 32 1MB 68MB 72 Pin SIMMs 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
1.2Gb & 270Mb 32X CD-ROM Windows 98 SE LG 23" Flatron 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft PS/2 Lite-On Digital Venturis 466 Logitech PS/2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

10-12Mbps or MBps? Don't confuse Megabits with Megabytes, common mistake.
If you're using a 10/100 Switch you're getting the perfect speed. 10-12MBps is the limitation of 10/100.

This^^,plus check your nic configs.And as far as your space concerns are you using RAIDZ2 instead of RAIDZ1? If so that could explain the drive space loss. RAIDZ2 creates double parity drives so it can withstand two drive losses instead of just one. Did you install the OS on a flash-drive? If not the drive in which the OS is installed on will not be available for storage.

As for alternatives to FreeNas check into Openfiler
Edited by reezin14 - 2/4/12 at 12:02pm
post #5 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

Back the truck up!
10-12Mbps or MBps? Don't confuse Megabits with Megabytes, common mistake.
If you're using a 10/100 Switch you're getting the perfect speed. 10-12MBps is the limitation of 10/100.

this^^^ for one part of your question..
About raid, RAID 1 and RAID 0 + 1 (1 + 0) you will loss half your space aswell as a 4 drive RAID 6.. RAID 5 in your case will get 1.5TB approx as not counting the loss due to building theay array but will only has a fault tolerence of one drive failure where as RAID 6 will be only 1TB - abit but will have a two drive falure fault tolerance..
Just remember to back up your RAID arrays as they are more for redundancy (if you suffer a drive failure you can keep running) and NOT a 100% safe back up solution smile.gif
Going to be chaep
(16 items)
 
Wife's Rig
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH MSI GTX460 G.Skill TridentX 2400 2 x 4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M5p 128GB 2 x WD 500GB Blues LG Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Arctic F12 CO PWM x 2 Push/Pull Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate LG IPS235V Corsair AX850 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced (Asia version) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Inno3D Ichill GTX660 8GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD black 500GB Liteon Coolermaster Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 ultimate Samsung Syncmaster 932gwe+ OCZ ZT series 550W Coolermaster 410 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1.67Ghz Atom stock 1GB DDR2 2 x 500GB Western Digital Cavier Blacks [RAID 1] 
CoolingOSPowerCase
stock DSM3.2 [built on linux] stock stock 
OtherOther
Synology DX510 Expansion unit 5 x 1TB WD Cavier Blacks in a RAID 6 
  hide details  
Reply
Going to be chaep
(16 items)
 
Wife's Rig
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-3770k Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5 TH MSI GTX460 G.Skill TridentX 2400 2 x 4GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Plextor M5p 128GB 2 x WD 500GB Blues LG Prolimatech Megahalems Rev C 
CoolingOSMonitorPower
Arctic F12 CO PWM x 2 Push/Pull Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate LG IPS235V Corsair AX850 
Case
Coolermaster HAF 912 advanced (Asia version) 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I5-3570K Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Inno3D Ichill GTX660 8GB G.Skill RipjawsX 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 830 128GB WD black 500GB Liteon Coolermaster Hyper 212+ EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Win 7 ultimate Samsung Syncmaster 932gwe+ OCZ ZT series 550W Coolermaster 410 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
1.67Ghz Atom stock 1GB DDR2 2 x 500GB Western Digital Cavier Blacks [RAID 1] 
CoolingOSPowerCase
stock DSM3.2 [built on linux] stock stock 
OtherOther
Synology DX510 Expansion unit 5 x 1TB WD Cavier Blacks in a RAID 6 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 52
10/11MB/s would be 100mpbs, so you're not running a gigabit local network. Either one of your routers or switches are 10/100 and not 10/100/1000. That or your network cables are cat5 or under that.

Get some Cat6e cables and a new router/switch that can do gigabit transfers. Cat5e will also do gigabit.
Edited by ZFedora - 2/4/12 at 12:28pm
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
Server
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 2600k Intel H67DE PNY Verto 9600GT (Thanks to ihasfip!) 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333Mhz 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
(3) Seagate 7200K 1TB (2) Hitachi 7200K.12 1TB Proxmox Samsung 17" Corsair GS600 
Case
Chenbro tower 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 52
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by killabytes View Post

Back the truck up!
10-12Mbps or MBps? Don't confuse Megabits with Megabytes, common mistake.
If you're using a 10/100 Switch you're getting the perfect speed. 10-12MBps is the limitation of 10/100.

MB/s. wasnt sure what i should be getting lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezin14 View Post

This^^,plus check your nic configs.And as far as your space concerns are you using RAIDZ2 instead of RAIDZ1? If so that could explain the drive space loss. RAIDZ2 creates double parity drives so it can withstand two drive losses instead of just one. Did you install the OS on a flash-drive? If not the drive in which the OS is installed on will not be available for storage.
As for alternatives to FreeNas check into Openfiler

ooh i couldnt find a good explanation of teh RAID-Z2 and RAID-Z1.. so i was just playing around with it.. that makes a whole lot of sense now..

yes the OS is on a flashdrive. time to switch to RAIDZ1
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubass View Post

this^^^ for one part of your question..
About raid, RAID 1 and RAID 0 + 1 (1 + 0) you will loss half your space aswell as a 4 drive RAID 6.. RAID 5 in your case will get 1.5TB approx as not counting the loss due to building theay array but will only has a fault tolerence of one drive failure where as RAID 6 will be only 1TB - abit but will have a two drive falure fault tolerance..
Just remember to back up your RAID arrays as they are more for redundancy (if you suffer a drive failure you can keep running) and NOT a 100% safe back up solution smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZFedora View Post

10/11MB/s would be 100mpbs, so you're not running a gigabit local network. Either one of your routers or switches are 10/100 and not 10/100/1000. That or your network cables are cat5 or under that.
Get some Cat6e cables and a new router/switch that can do gigabit transfers. Cat5e will also do gigabit.

yah my router is only a 10/100.. i wasnt too sure on the conversion between MByte and MBit .. at least i know now from explanations from you guys.. so the speed im getting 10-12MByte/sec is the right speed i should be getting on a 10/100 network.. would only get anything higher if i were to upgrade to a 10/100/1000 network setup..

cool thx +rep to those who answered my questions ^_^

but aside from that, is there any other OS's like FreeNAS ? lot were saying FreeNAS 7 is much better than FreeNAS 8 yet i cant find it on the FreeNAS site.. any idea where to get it?
post #8 of 52
One Alternative OS was referenced in first post. FreeNas 7 can be found in link posted.

http://iso.linuxquestions.org/freenas/freenas-0.7.1/
post #9 of 52
Thread Starter 
nexenta? whats the diff between FreeNAS and that that you guys prefer/like? etc
post #10 of 52
I use FreeBSD (which FreeNAS is built on) on my home server

I had run NexentaCP1, which quite honestly was awful. However things have moved on significantly since then
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Servers
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Servers › File server?