Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › How should I deal with 3 monitors and muffling audio when I switch to Eyefinity?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

How should I deal with 3 monitors and muffling audio when I switch to Eyefinity?

post #1 of 11
Thread Starter 
A big reason why I haven't switched to multi monitor already is because if I do, the monitors will be in front of my speakers. I'm a bit of an audiophile and I like having good acoustics for my speakers, so I guess my question is how should I deal with this so that I can take advantage of more gpu strength in the future but still retain the pristine audio quality that my z-2300 setup gives me? I don't want answers that just say "deal with it" because I can't, it'll bug me on a day-to-day basis. Thanks for any future input wink.gif
post #2 of 11
do what i did a few years ago.

Make a shelf that is held behind the monitor that attaches to the VESA mounts, and place the speakers on them.
Then attach the monitor as normal to the mounts just using longer bolts.

Sadly i dont do that anymore as ive just wall mounted my speakers
Patawic's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1055T Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC Corsair 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F4 LG CH10LS20 Bluray CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P4211H x 2 Logitech G110 OCZ 750W Fatal1ty HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Patawic's Rig
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Thuban 1055T Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 460 1GB OC Corsair 4gb 1333mhz DDR3 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung F4 LG CH10LS20 Bluray CoolerMaster Hyper Z600 Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell P4211H x 2 Logitech G110 OCZ 750W Fatal1ty HAF 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Audiophile, pristine audio, and Logitech speakers shouldn't go in the same sentence.....
Get your monitors if you want, you can't make those speakers sound any worse than they already do. wink.gif

You know, while I understand your feelings towards logitech products, it really isn't becoming of a Moderator to have nothing but bashing words to say, instead of actually contributing to the thread.

@OP, I have my Logitech z5300 front speakers on my desk, directly behind the two side monitors, and I haven't noticed anything different in quality of sound. Unless the monitors will be physically touching your speakers, effectively blocking them, you shouldn't have any issues putting the monitors in front of the speakers.
Hephaestus
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5 2500K [4.5Ghz][100x45][1.29v] MSi P67A-GD65 [1.9 BIOS] MSi GTX670 PE OC MSi GTX670 PE OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz [9-9-9-24] Crucial M4 256GB [CORE] WD Caviar Black 1TB [FILEZ] WD Caviar Black 2TB [GAMEZ] 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-Ray Combo Corsair H50 [Push/Pull][UltraKaze 3Ks] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Retail SP1 Yamakasi Catleap Q270 27" S-IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Antec TP-750 Blue Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Razer Naga Epic 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Fragger Speed  X-Fi Titanium Logitech z5300 5.1 Logitech G930 
OtherOther
MS LifeCam Studio 1080p Belkin n52te 
  hide details  
Reply
Hephaestus
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5 2500K [4.5Ghz][100x45][1.29v] MSi P67A-GD65 [1.9 BIOS] MSi GTX670 PE OC MSi GTX670 PE OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz [9-9-9-24] Crucial M4 256GB [CORE] WD Caviar Black 1TB [FILEZ] WD Caviar Black 2TB [GAMEZ] 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-Ray Combo Corsair H50 [Push/Pull][UltraKaze 3Ks] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Retail SP1 Yamakasi Catleap Q270 27" S-IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Antec TP-750 Blue Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Razer Naga Epic 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Fragger Speed  X-Fi Titanium Logitech z5300 5.1 Logitech G930 
OtherOther
MS LifeCam Studio 1080p Belkin n52te 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

Audiophile, pristine audio, and Logitech speakers shouldn't go in the same sentence.....
Get your monitors if you want, you can't make those speakers sound any worse than they already do. wink.gif

You know, while I understand your feelings towards logitech products, it really isn't becoming of a Moderator to have nothing but bashing words to say, instead of actually contributing to the thread.

@OP, I have my Logitech z5300 front speakers on my desk, directly behind the two side monitors, and I haven't noticed anything different in quality of sound. Unless the monitors will be physically touching your speakers, effectively blocking them, you shouldn't have any issues putting the monitors in front of the speakers.

I did contribute to the thread. I told him to go ahead and get the monitors, as it won't affect the sound quality from those speakers anyway.
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 11
Thread Starter 
Thanks for the input.

@pioneerisloud I do have to say that the logitech z-2300 set is easily THE best speaker setup I've heard, I also did plenty of research to back up my purchase of them. I've had them for several years now and couldn't be happier with them. Saying that all Logitech speakers are bad period is obviously an uninformed conclusion, because comparing these speakers to any other 2.1 setup is not even close. No static noise, clear highs, boomy lows, great crossover, the sub even has a beefy radiator mount on it. They are THX certified as well, but it is just a label.

I'm disappointed that a moderator would make a direct insult to someone's purchase, especially if their entire reason is brand name.

@Patawic Thank you for your input, that's actually a very nice idea, though I worry that the speakers will be too high for my liking, I'll have to see how the audio reflects off the ceiling of my hutch, or maybe I can mount them to the sides of the hutch, since there's a descent 3" clearance for sound. Another thought is getting a new desk entirely so I can have more space and just put the speakers on the sides of the 3 monitors. +1 for unique input.

@Demented The problem I have is that the sides of my hutch almost block all sound from correctly leaving it. If I get a new desk then it'll be less of an issue, but then again, as stated above, I can just put my speakers on the sides of my monitors. I've already tested the acoustics with items sized relative to my 24" monitor and I hear a big difference. Since how I have my setup now, I aim the speakers so that the waves bounce off the sides of the hutch and they all channel into the "sweet spot" where I sit. So then all of the waves hit perpendicular to the monitors that will be in front of them, causing a lot of unnecessary bouncing inside basically a sealed area with small openings to channel audio out, which results in more muffling than a normal setup without a hutch.
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneplant View Post

Thanks for the input.

@pioneerisloud I do have to say that the logitech z-2300 set is easily THE best speaker setup I've heard, I also did plenty of research to back up my purchase of them. I've had them for several years now and couldn't be happier with them. Saying that all Logitech speakers are bad period is obviously an uninformed conclusion, because comparing these speakers to any other 2.1 setup is not even close. No static noise, clear highs, boomy lows, great crossover, the sub even has a beefy radiator mount on it. They are THX certified as well, but it is just a label.

I'm disappointed that a moderator would make a direct insult to someone's purchase, especially if their entire reason is brand name.

@Patawic Thank you for your input, that's actually a very nice idea, though I worry that the speakers will be too high for my liking, I'll have to see how the audio reflects off the ceiling of my hutch, or maybe I can mount them to the sides of the hutch, since there's a descent 3" clearance for sound. Another thought is getting a new desk entirely so I can have more space and just put the speakers on the sides of the 3 monitors. +1 for unique input.

@Demented The problem I have is that the sides of my hutch almost block all sound from correctly leaving it. If I get a new desk then it'll be less of an issue, but then again, as stated above, I can just put my speakers on the sides of my monitors. I've already tested the acoustics with items sized relative to my 24" monitor and I hear a big difference. Since how I have my setup now, I aim the speakers so that the waves bounce off the sides of the hutch and they all channel into the "sweet spot" where I sit. So then all of the waves hit perpendicular to the monitors that will be in front of them, causing a lot of unnecessary bouncing inside basically a sealed area with small openings to channel audio out, which results in more muffling than a normal setup without a hutch.

You know what? Enjoy them then. smile.gif I would advise you to take a good honest read into PROPER reviews on them though, and realize them for the faults that they very clearly have. I hate on Logitech speakers for good reason. wink.gif

To take your exact words:
No static noise = Any proper cabling will result in no noise.
clear highs = Sure...up to 8Khz. The human ear can generally hear up to 20kHz.
boomy lows = There are no lows. The "sub" stops at 45Hz.
great crossover = No, just no. The crossover is set at 250-300Hz. That's HORRIBLE.
the sub even has a beefy radiator mount on it = That's the heatsink for the amp...typical of any amp honestly.
They are THX certified as well, but it is just a label. = THX for multimedia speakers. Proper THX is a LOT more strict than this, its a common mis understanding.
Edited by pioneerisloud - 2/4/12 at 1:45am
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
Junkyard
(18 items)
 
NAStradamous
(12 items)
 
HTPC01
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2320 @ 3.1GHz MSI B75MA-E33 HIS HD7970 3GB @ 1050 / 1700, 1.17v Patriot 2x4GB DDR3-1066 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256GB WD Green 2TB DVDRW Corsair H50 Push / Pull 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
NZXT 120mm fans strapped to stock 7970 cooler Windows 10 Pro Dell 3007WFP Dell 2007FP 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell 2007FP Cheap Toshiba (R.I.P. Ducky) PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKIII 950w Cheap Garbage (free) 
MouseAudio
Logitech G602 Yardsale Special 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 3330 Asus H61 MSI GTX 750Ti Low Profile 2x4GB Hynix DDR3-1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
60GB Kingston SSD 1TB Seagate Samsung DVDRW CoolerMaster Gemin II 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 8.1 + Steam Big Picture / Plex HT 50" Insignia LED 1080p Logitech Rosewill Green 530w 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone HTPC Logitech Pioneer 2.0 tower speakers + 135w RMS Rosewill MCE Remote 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 11
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

You know what? Enjoy them then. smile.gif I would advise you to take a good honest read into PROPER reviews on them though, and realize them for the faults that they very clearly have. I hate on Logitech speakers for good reason. wink.gif
To take your exact words:
No static noise = Any proper cabling will result in no noise.
clear highs = Sure...up to 8Khz. The human ear can generally hear up to 20kHz.
boomy lows = There are no lows. The "sub" stops at 45Hz.
great crossover = No, just no. The crossover is set at 250-300Hz. That's HORRIBLE.
the sub even has a beefy radiator mount on it = That's the heatsink for the amp...typical of any amp honestly.
They are THX certified as well, but it is just a label. = THX for multimedia speakers. Proper THX is a LOT more strict than this, its a common mis understanding.

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/971918-logitech-z-2300-mega-review/

Frequency response is 32Hz - 20Khz Btw
Read the review, and tell me that these speakers aren't at least half descent. Also consider that I bought them for only around $180, please show me a computer speaker setup that beats this in its price range. And if you don't call this a PROPER review, I don't know what is... Granted the bass crossover is not ideal, the mid-high crossover has a really nice shelf.

This is getting off topic now, I would like to talk about my problem more than argue on speakers. I'm thinking maybe I should just get a different desk and have the speakers on the side, it might be a little too wide to sound like it's coming as a center speaker though.
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by theloneplant View Post

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/971918-logitech-z-2300-mega-review/
Frequency response is 32Hz - 20Khz Btw
Read the review, and tell me that these speakers aren't at least half descent. Also consider that I bought them for only around $180, please show me a computer speaker setup that beats this in its price range. And if you don't call this a PROPER review, I don't know what is... Granted the bass crossover is not ideal, the mid-high crossover has a really nice shelf.
This is getting off topic now, I would like to talk about my problem more than argue on speakers. I'm thinking maybe I should just get a different desk and have the speakers on the side, it might be a little too wide to sound like it's coming as a center speaker though.

Don't get me wrong here I love logitech, but you are raging and acting as if they are reference class studio monitors, I think the case here isn't ruining your pristine audio but more OCD about your speakers being behind your monitors thinking it will ruin the sound, causing yourself to believe the sound is worse.
350D RIVG 3930K
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k @ 4.3 GHz Asus Rampage IV Gene MSI GTX 680 Lightning Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 480GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 8 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB287Q, BenQ XL2420T,LG 29EA93V Samsung PN59D550 59" 3D TV Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja Cherry MX Black Switch... Corsair AX 760i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 350D Steelseries Rival + Razer Mosue Bunge Steelseries QCK+ EG Genelec 6010 SurroundPak Nearfield 5.1 Speaker ... 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser PC G4ME Zero AKG K712 Asus Xonar Essence One ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω Sennheiser PC 360 Herman Miller Embody + Envelop Lamptron FC5V2 
  hide details  
Reply
350D RIVG 3930K
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-3930k @ 4.3 GHz Asus Rampage IV Gene MSI GTX 680 Lightning Corsair Vengeance 16GB 1866MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 520 Series Cherryville 480GB Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i Windows 8 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
Asus PB287Q, BenQ XL2420T,LG 29EA93V Samsung PN59D550 59" 3D TV Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja Cherry MX Black Switch... Corsair AX 760i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 350D Steelseries Rival + Razer Mosue Bunge Steelseries QCK+ EG Genelec 6010 SurroundPak Nearfield 5.1 Speaker ... 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Sennheiser PC G4ME Zero AKG K712 Asus Xonar Essence One ASUS Xonar Essence STX 
AudioAudioOtherOther
Beyerdynamic DT 990 600Ω Sennheiser PC 360 Herman Miller Embody + Envelop Lamptron FC5V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 11
Thread Starter 
The thing is I've already heard the difference by placing items sized like my monitor and I can hear a pretty big difference between both. I agree my setup isn't a studio by any means, but it is to the point to where I can hear a hefty difference between having monitors in front of my speakers and no monitors in front. I'm sure part of it is OCD not wanting to have the speakers be blocked, but I do hear a difference in audio, and I have compared the two side by side. I may end up just putting the monitors in front of my speakers until I get a different desk, but preferably I would like the speakers to be unobstructed.

I'll test again soon to see the difference again, and I'll report back my opinions. Thanks smile.gif
post #10 of 11
Thread Starter 
Alright I went and tested with the items in front, without them in front, and with half/half. Overall I hear a slight difference, but almost all of the sound excluding highs is preserved. I noticed that the highs didn't give as much of a snap with the monitors in front, so I've decided that I could probably get away with just balancing the system sounds and that'll be good enough. I think at this point the benefits of the Eyefinity outweighs the cons of having muffled sound, when only the highs are really muffled. If I just crank up the upper range it should fix the issue and if I have 3 monitors on a day to day basis I shouldn't really be able to tell the difference.

+1 for realization of overreaction, I may still end up getting a new desk in the future anyways due to space but until then I think it'll be fine. You sounded level headed which is something I needed, thanks thumb.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › How should I deal with 3 monitors and muffling audio when I switch to Eyefinity?