New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying linux - Page 4

post #31 of 41
I would recommend Chakra it is as easy as Mint if not easier but I think it is actually far more stable and a lot of unnecessary crap is not installed. You can install the full version and that will give you a synaptic like system.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chakra
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

I would recommend Chakra it is as easy as Mint if not easier but I think it is actually far more stable and a lot of unnecessary crap is not installed. You can install the full version and that will give you a synaptic like system.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chakra

As much as I like Chakra, it's really just a pre-setup Arch, isn't it? Arch is not "stable" due to it's cutting edge/bleeding edge release cycle (not much testing).

It's nice to use (I actually like it a lot), but would not recommend it for a first distro, unless you feel like jumping large hurdles if/when your OS breaks down due to mixed dependency updates etc.


I'd still stick with Mint. It's not quite cutting edge, but with its biyearly releases, it tends to stay relatively up to date, and is still very user-friendly. It basically provides a 100% usable PC right after install, as opposed to having to track down 10-30 programmes that you're going to need to use later.


(Which is a great part of Linux, but you can learn just as much by taking a pre-assembled distro and stripping it down as you can taking a barebones distro and building it up... and you start with something you can use to look up the help on stripping it down, saving doing it across multiple machines)
Little Messy
(16 items)
 
The 1720 (Laptop)
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 (@ 3.8) MSI 890GXM-G65 ASUS HD 6850 (@ 975/1125) G.Skill RipjawX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Eco Green Samsung F3 Sony DVD+-RW Writer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Arch Linux Dell ST2420 Microsoft Reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W NZXT Vulcan Logitech MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T8300 Dell's own 8600M 4.0GB Hyundai Electronics DDR2 
Hard DriveOS
250GB Hitachi / 250GB Samsung Windows Vista 32 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Messy
(16 items)
 
The 1720 (Laptop)
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 (@ 3.8) MSI 890GXM-G65 ASUS HD 6850 (@ 975/1125) G.Skill RipjawX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Eco Green Samsung F3 Sony DVD+-RW Writer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Arch Linux Dell ST2420 Microsoft Reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W NZXT Vulcan Logitech MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T8300 Dell's own 8600M 4.0GB Hyundai Electronics DDR2 
Hard DriveOS
250GB Hitachi / 250GB Samsung Windows Vista 32 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

I would recommend Chakra it is as easy as Mint if not easier but I think it is actually far more stable and a lot of unnecessary crap is not installed. You can install the full version and that will give you a synaptic like system.
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chakra

Chakra is very much still in BETA. Definitely not recommended for a stable DE in it's current state. (last time I checked, the installer didn't even work!)
post #34 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Pink57 View Post

I would recommend Chakra it is as easy as Mint if not easier but I think it is actually far more stable and a lot of unnecessary crap is not installed. You can install the full version and that will give you a synaptic like system.

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=chakra

I recently installed Linux to dual boot on my laptop and wanted a desktop environment for C++ programming. I had settled on Qt as my toolkit of choice and the Qt Creator IDE, so Chakra, with its extensive (exclusive?) commitment to KDE looked like it might be a suitable distro. The more I read about it and the more apps I found that required GTK+ (GIMP for example), the more I was convinced to opt for a more mature distro.

I ended up going with Fedora, for what it's worth.
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post

I recently installed Linux to dual boot on my laptop and wanted a desktop environment for C++ programming. I had settled on Qt as my toolkit of choice and the Qt Creator IDE, so Chakra, with its extensive (exclusive?) commitment to KDE looked like it might be a suitable distro. The more I read about it and the more apps I found that required GTK+ (GIMP for example), the more I was convinced to opt for a more mature distro.
I ended up going with Fedora, for what it's worth.

Sorry, you've lost me as I don' understand how those points are all related.

Fair enough you wanted a more mature distro, but Fedora is as bleeding edge as Arch / Chakra is. So while Fedora might be more mature (in the sense of established community) than Chakra, I wouldn't say it's any more stable than Arch. I do think you're right for wanting to pick a more stable platform for development though I'm not really sure what distro I personally would recommend as I just use a bleeding edge distro myself. laugher.gif

Also, why would the prevalence of GTK affect your decision for what distro to run? GTK will run just as well on Chakra as any other distro. It's a bit like how Windows has .NET, MFC, DirectX and a whole plethora of other toolkits that sit on the shoulders of the aforementioned. Linux has Qt, GTK and a number of others (most of which I can never remember).

I'm glad you singled out GIMP as your GTK example (not sure if that was intentional -for reasons I'll explain in a moment- or funny coincidence) because it was actually GIMP that GTK was originally developed for (it was even named after it: GIMP Tool Kit).

Qt Creator is a lovely IDE though - once you get your heard around some of the quirky layout design decisions that is - and Qt is an awesome toolkit.
post #36 of 41
I guess I should have mentioned, I was simply considering going strictly Qt-based on the distro - no reason of any importance, really, just fewer libraries and general overhead on the system. Finding certain apps I really wanted to use being GTK-based just put that notion to rest.

By more "mature", I meant a distro like Fedora that has been around for a long time, not that their current version is necessarily any more tried and true than Chakra's. I understand that Chakra is an Arch fork, but the Chakra "version" of Arch has only been around for a couple of years. Maybe that doesn't make any difference, I don't know.
post #37 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post

I guess I should have mentioned, I was simply considering going strictly Qt-based on the distro - no reason of any importance, really, just fewer libraries and general overhead on the system. Finding certain apps I really wanted to use being GTK-based just put that notion to rest.
Having Qt and GTK running side by site shouldn't really add any overhead. Though some Qt apps might use KDElibs which could easily take up a couple of hundred megs of disk space (the interdependency of KDElibs has long been a bone of contention for many users and developers). But that is a fault of KDE rather than Qt vs GTK.

I'm not knocking your aim though. Going entirely Qt-based has it's benefits in terms of a uniform GUI (I often favour Qt over GTK for this very reason). Plus the beauty of Linux is it gives you the freedom to experiment like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimojo View Post

By more "mature", I meant a distro like Fedora that has been around for a long time, not that their current version is necessarily any more tried and true than Chakra's. I understand that Chakra is an Arch fork, but the Chakra "version" of Arch has only been around for a couple of years. Maybe that doesn't make any difference, I don't know.

Yeah you have point. Chakra is (or at least was when I last tried it) very much beta quality. You can run a more stable variant using vanilla Arch and KDEmod though, but there's really nothing wrong with Fedora either.
post #38 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Having Qt and GTK running side by site shouldn't really add any overhead. Though some Qt apps might use KDElibs which could easily take up a couple of hundred megs of disk space (the interdependency of KDElibs has long been a bone of contention for many users and developers). But that is a fault of KDE rather than Qt vs GTK.
I'm not knocking your aim though. Going entirely Qt-based has it's benefits in terms of a uniform GUI (I often favour Qt over GTK for this very reason). Plus the beauty of Linux is it gives you the freedom to experiment like this.
Yeah you have point. Chakra is (or at least was when I last tried it) very much beta quality. You can run a more stable variant using vanilla Arch and KDEmod though, but there's really nothing wrong with Fedora either.

Not just that, but one of Chakra's goals is to eliminate the need for most of the GTK libraries. While you CAN install them, it feels like undoing all of the work the developers are going into into removing all of the "unnecessary" dependencies by... Well, it's late at night and I'm going to bed. Their website basically outlines using as little GTK as possible as one of their main goals.
Little Messy
(16 items)
 
The 1720 (Laptop)
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 (@ 3.8) MSI 890GXM-G65 ASUS HD 6850 (@ 975/1125) G.Skill RipjawX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Eco Green Samsung F3 Sony DVD+-RW Writer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Arch Linux Dell ST2420 Microsoft Reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W NZXT Vulcan Logitech MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T8300 Dell's own 8600M 4.0GB Hyundai Electronics DDR2 
Hard DriveOS
250GB Hitachi / 250GB Samsung Windows Vista 32 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
Little Messy
(16 items)
 
The 1720 (Laptop)
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II x4 955 (@ 3.8) MSI 890GXM-G65 ASUS HD 6850 (@ 975/1125) G.Skill RipjawX 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung Eco Green Samsung F3 Sony DVD+-RW Writer CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Home Premium Arch Linux Dell ST2420 Microsoft Reclusa 
PowerCaseMouse
OCZ StealthXStream II 600W NZXT Vulcan Logitech MX518 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core 2 Duo T8300 Dell's own 8600M 4.0GB Hyundai Electronics DDR2 
Hard DriveOS
250GB Hitachi / 250GB Samsung Windows Vista 32 bit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korlus View Post

Not just that, but one of Chakra's goals is to eliminate the need for most of the GTK libraries. While you CAN install them, it feels like undoing all of the work the developers are going into into removing all of the "unnecessary" dependencies by... Well, it's late at night and I'm going to bed. Their website basically outlines using as little GTK as possible as one of their main goals.

I'm well aware of that. I'm just stating that removing GTK wouldn't have any performance impact. It's more an academic exercise - which I honestly think is as good as a reason as any - but I just wanted to make it clear (as someone else raised the point) that running GTK alongside Qt doesn't add any overhead.
post #40 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

I'm well aware of that. I'm just stating that removing GTK wouldn't have any performance impact. It's more an academic exercise - which I honestly think is as good as a reason as any - but I just wanted to make it clear (as someone else raised the point) that running GTK alongside Qt doesn't add any overhead.

Dumb question time....does it increase the chance of fighting libraries/dependencies or other conflicts? redface.gif
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
Intel Core m3-6Y30 Intel HD515 8GB 1866DDR3L Micron M600 MTFDDAV256MBF M.2, 256 GB 
CoolingOSOSMonitor
Fanless Win10 Home x64 Kubuntu 16.04 (requires Linux kernel 4.5/4.6) 13.3 inch 16:9, 1920x1080 pixel, AU Optronics A... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AthlonIIX4 640 3.62GHz (250x14.5) 2.5GHz NB Asus M4A785TD-M EVO MSI GTX275 (Stock 666) 8GBs of GSkill 1600 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
4GBs of Adata 1333 Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB WD Caviar Black 500GB Hitachi Deskstar 1TB 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
LG 8X BDR (WHL08S20) Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Kubuntu x64 Windows 7 x64 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Bodhi Linux x64 Acer G215H (1920x1080) Seasonic 520 HAF912 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
N450 1.8GHz AC and 1.66GHz batt ASUS proprietary for 1001P GMA3150 (can play bluray now!?) 1GB DDR2 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSOS
160GB LGLHDLBDRE32X Bodhi Linux Fedora LXDE 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Kubuntu SLAX 1280x600 + Dell 15inch Excellent! 
PowerCase
6 cells=6-12hrs and a charger 1001P MU17 Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix