Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › First Time Builders; $700 Budget
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First Time Builders; $700 Budget - Page 3

post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by isoplacebo View Post

Okay I'm starting to get a little confused. Why is the FX 4100 "worse" if it has 3.6Ghz and is cheaper than the other ones with 3 and 3.2 Ghz? Also, the 3 suggested PSu's have had 430W, 630W, and 750W: what kind of wattage do I need for a computer like this?

performance wise the 960T is better and 430 or 630 you choose
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
775 HP
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @3.20GHz HP p750f Intergraded 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi HD725032GLA360 Windows 7 64 bit Element 40' Dell Stock 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Stock HP stock Microsoft 3.0 TV 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
775 HP
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @3.20GHz HP p750f Intergraded 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi HD725032GLA360 Windows 7 64 bit Element 40' Dell Stock 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Stock HP stock Microsoft 3.0 TV 
  hide details  
Reply
post #22 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal_Revenge View Post

performance wise the 960T is better and 430 or 630 you choose

Oh okay. And the Video Card mentioned in the previous wishlist post has a requirement of 500W, so ill go for the 630.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

And how is this low quality grab-bag-IC generic RAM that merely has heatspreaders better than this DDR3-1600 kit with the new 30nm ICs that overclock ridiculously?
Disappointing suggestion, esp. considering there are even lower cost DDR3-1600 kits (perhaps not with the fancy ICs but they're still a huge step up from generic CL9 1333).


A $700 budget fits an Phenom II x6 1055T and an HD 6950.  You guys' builds are underwhelming

How can I afford a $270 video card and a $180 CPU with my budget O.o
post #23 of 27

Observe, x6 + 6950 for $700:

 

Use Newegg promo code NEWCUSTOMER10 with new account creation to get an additional $10 off

 

$703 shipped for all of this thumb.gif

Overclocking-ready Phenom II x6 + HD 6950 build with Hyper 212+ cooler.  Case has a nice, expandable cooling setup and the GPU is a monster with a triple fan cooler.  1TB hard drive, and still within budget.  Every part used is of high quality and works with each other.

 

If you mind the extra $3 then swap the Gigabyte 6950 for the Powercolor 6950 at Superbiiz which is $225 shipped after promo code.  Although I'd take the Gigabyte over it, for the sake of things like triple fan and better warranty/trustworthiness as a brand.


Edited by xd_1771 - 2/4/12 at 11:16pm
post #24 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

Observe, x6 + 6950 for $700:
AMD Phenom II x6 1055T + ASUS M5A97 - $210 shipped [NCIX]
Kingston HyperX Blu 2x4GB DDR3-1600 - $34 shipped [NCIX]
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus - $23 shipped [NCIX]
Gigabyte triple fan Radeon HD 6950 1GB - $235 shipped with coupon code FIRSTDOWN [Superbiiz]
NZXT Source 210 (Black or White
) - $40 shipped [Amazon]
Corsair CX-600 PSU - $45 shipped [NCIX] (This will power the single 6950 just fine)
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD - $110 shipped [NCIX]
LG 24X SATA DVD-RW drive - $16 shipped [NCIX]

Use Newegg promo code NEWCUSTOMER10 with new account creation to get an additional $10 off

$703 shipped for all of this thumb.gif
Overclocking-ready Phenom II x6 + HD 6950 build with Hyper 212+ cooler.  Case has a nice, expandable cooling setup and the GPU is a monster with a triple fan cooler.  1TB hard drive, and still within budget.

If you mind the extra $3 then swap the Gigabyte 6950 for the Powercolor 6950 at Superbiiz which is $225 shipped after promo code.  Although I'd take the Gigabyte over it, for the sake of things like triple fan and better warranty/trustworthiness as a brand.

May i ask why you use NCIX instead of Newegg? is it cheaper?
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
775 HP
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @3.20GHz HP p750f Intergraded 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi HD725032GLA360 Windows 7 64 bit Element 40' Dell Stock 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Stock HP stock Microsoft 3.0 TV 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
775 HP
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @3.20GHz HP p750f Intergraded 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi HD725032GLA360 Windows 7 64 bit Element 40' Dell Stock 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Stock HP stock Microsoft 3.0 TV 
  hide details  
Reply
post #25 of 27
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

Observe, x6 + 6950 for $700:
Use Newegg promo code NEWCUSTOMER10 with new account creation to get an additional $10 off

$703 shipped for all of this thumb.gif
Overclocking-ready Phenom II x6 + HD 6950 build with Hyper 212+ cooler.  Case has a nice, expandable cooling setup and the GPU is a monster with a triple fan cooler.  1TB hard drive, and still within budget.  Every part used is of high quality and works with each other.

If you mind the extra $3 then swap the Gigabyte 6950 for the Powercolor 6950 at Superbiiz which is $225 shipped after promo code.  Although I'd take the Gigabyte over it, for the sake of things like triple fan and better warranty/trustworthiness as a brand.

Wow this looks great, thanks a bunch!

Thanks again to everyone, you guys are great!

Hope to catch you on GW2 Narwhal wink.gif
post #26 of 27

Per-se the FX-4100 isn't worse.  It's actually a very competitive processor in its price range, providing similar performance for slightly lower price and with higher power efficiency (lower power consumption than Phenom II x4) and advantages over competitors in its price range such as the Intel Core i3 2100 (better multithreaded performance and about equivalent single threaded performance when overclocked).  However there's no beating the Phenom II x6 1055T combo at this price when considering you can have even better multithreaded performance and close single-threaded performance - albeit at the sacrifice that is the higher power consumption, but with a price that is more or less the same as the FX-4100 + a high quality board.

 

If you're not worried about having multiple GPUs having a good 400-500W on your 12V rail (i.e. 400-500W PSU) on an efficient, high quality design unit is good enough for about any one card.  Look at the TDP of a video card, look at the TDP of the CPU, add some extra wattage (i.e. 50W) to compensate for other PC components that use 12V.... (i.e. fans, etc) then compare with the 12V rail on your intended PSU selection.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narwhal_Revenge View Post
May i ask why you use NCIX instead of Newegg? is it cheaper?

NCIX is a local (Vancouver-based with stores, now also in Toronto) and Canada-wide place where you can buy computer parts.

 

I've only more recently begun rather avidly recommending buying from NCIX for builds in the US due to the opening of a warehouse in California that allows them to actually be competitive (i.e. orders over $50 now get free shipping and this is about in line with other US offers - no more overpriced shipping as a result of Canada -> US shipping).  Top that off with the fact that there are actually a lot of ridiculous, unbeatable deals (like the Phenom II x6 + board combo, and the $110 7200RPM 1TB HDD) and you can't go wrong by recommending them.  It's just too bad that there aren't too many people that know about it.  NCIX are an excellent retailer up here and I am sure that they follow the same etiquette in the States.

 

You might as well consider it partial fanboyism (seeing as NCIX is pretty much where I shop myself near-exclusively tongue.gif) but there's a lot of practicality (free shipping over $50 is great for big orders where parts that cost less than $50 but are good deals and would normally not ship free with the rest, do ship free with the rest, and therefore become a great deal with the free shipping offer) and great pricing to boot in doing so.


Edited by xd_1771 - 2/4/12 at 11:24pm
post #27 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post



NCIX is a local (Vancouver-based with stores, now also in Toronto) and Canada-wide place where you can buy computer parts.

I've only more recently begun rather avidly recommending buying from NCIX for builds in the US due to the opening of a warehouse in California that allows them to actually be competitive (i.e. orders over $50 now get free shipping and this is about in line with other US offers - no more overpriced shipping as a result of Canada -> US shipping).  Top that off with the fact that there are actually a lot of ridiculous, unbeatable deals (like the Phenom II x6 + board combo, and the $110 7200RPM 1TB HDD) and you can't go wrong by recommending them.  It's just too bad that there aren't too many people that know about it.  NCIX are an excellent retailer up here and I am sure that they follow the same etiquette in the States.

You might as well consider it partial fanboyism (seeing as NCIX is pretty much where I shop myself near-exclusively tongue.gif ) but there's a lot of practicality (free shipping over $50 is great for big orders where parts that cost less than $50 but are good deals and would normally not ship free with the rest, do ship free with the rest, and therefore become a great deal with the free shipping offer) and great pricing to boot in doing so.

Late i know but i agree they are fast and reliable i got my MOBO and CPU in 2 days! it was Free shipping and everything! it was really nice!
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
775 HP
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @3.20GHz HP p750f Intergraded 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi HD725032GLA360 Windows 7 64 bit Element 40' Dell Stock 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Stock HP stock Microsoft 3.0 TV 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(14 items)
 
775 HP
(14 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6700 @3.20GHz HP p750f Intergraded 4 GB DDR3 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Hitachi HD725032GLA360 Windows 7 64 bit Element 40' Dell Stock 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Stock HP stock Microsoft 3.0 TV 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD - General
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD - General › First Time Builders; $700 Budget