Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Odd Amount of RAM Combo Question
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Odd Amount of RAM Combo Question

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 
So i bought some DDR2 RAM From a member here on OCN, and i got sent the wrong sticks,one good and one bad.

SO i used to have 4 gskill sticks, 2x1gb and 2x512mb. I replaced on of the 512s with the good 1gb stick, is this going to cause issues? i now have 3.5gbs, resulting in slower initial loading times, but faster after that.

Its making me want to go out and buy some DDR3 with a new mobo. mad.gif
Air Force 1
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600k @4.8 ASUS z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 980ti Ref 2x8gb Ripjaw-X @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 2tb Black WD 1tb Blue Sandisk 120 Asus 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CM Nepton 280L Windows 10 x64 lg 34uc69g-b Patriot v760 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 850 Phanteks Entho Pro Green Mionix Naos 7000 Custom 36"x12" starcitizen mat 
Audio
Dayton BR-1 
  hide details  
Reply
Air Force 1
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600k @4.8 ASUS z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 980ti Ref 2x8gb Ripjaw-X @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 2tb Black WD 1tb Blue Sandisk 120 Asus 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CM Nepton 280L Windows 10 x64 lg 34uc69g-b Patriot v760 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 850 Phanteks Entho Pro Green Mionix Naos 7000 Custom 36"x12" starcitizen mat 
Audio
Dayton BR-1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by xFALL3Nx View Post

So i bought some DDR2 RAM From a member here on OCN, and i got sent the wrong sticks,one good and one bad.

SO i used to have 4 gskill sticks, 2x1gb and 2x512mb. I replaced on of the 512s with the good 1gb stick, is this going to cause issues? i now have 3.5gbs, resulting in slower initial loading times, but faster after that.

Its making me want to go out and buy some DDR3 with a new mobo. mad.gif


With a dual-channel motherboard, you want to install identical size and clock speed DIMMs in the "pair" of slots that make up the "channel" in order to take advantage of dual-channel mode.

 

The configuration that you had before was also less than ideal.

 

 

The best case scenario for your board is to have only 2 DIMM installed, and to install 2 DIMM of equal values.

 

Mixing and matching sizes like you did before, with 2 x 1 GB in one channel pair and 2 x 512 MB in the other channel pair simply slows you down a bit because you have all four DIMM populated (which is not good) and it will slow your RAM timings down to the slower of the two channels, so your 2 x 512 MB would probably normally be faster, but would be forced to operate at the 2 x 1 GB slower timings.

 

 

By doing what you've done now, and mixing the 512 and the 1 GB in a channel, you just broke dual-channel mode. Now you have 1 pair of DIMMs in dual channel, and two more DIMMs both operating in single channel mode, which is going to slow you down significantly.

 

 

You're honestly best off with 2 x 2 GB or 2 x 4 GB (if your motherboard will support a 4 GB DIMM).


EDIT: Your board supports a maximum 2 GB DIMM size, meaning your best case scenario is 2 x 2 GB in dual-channel mode.

 

Something like this would be good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231246

 

You could put up to 8 GB total in there, for 4 x 2 GB, but that's not going to perform as well as 2 x 2 GB, due to the way PCs work.


Edited by shad0wfax - 2/6/12 at 11:49am
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
B2
(8 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7-5930K Haswell-E 6-Core 3.5GHz LGA... EVGA X99 Classified (151-HE-E999-KR) LGA 2011-v... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... EVGA 04G-P4-3975-KR GeForce GTX 970 SSC ACX 2.0... 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCase
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 288-Pin... SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 2.5" 1TB SATA III... CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance ... Phanteks Enthoo Luxe Series PH-ES614L_BK Black ... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by shad0wfax View Post


Mixing and matching sizes like you did before, with 2 x 1 GB in one channel pair and 2 x 512 MB in the other channel pair simply slows you down a bit because you have all four DIMM populated (which is not good) and it will slow your RAM timings down to the slower of the two channels, so your 2 x 512 MB would probably normally be faster, but would be forced to operate at the 2 x 1 GB slower timings.


EDIT: Your board supports a maximum 2 GB DIMM size, meaning your best case scenario is 2 x 2 GB in dual-channel mode.

Both the 1gbs and 512s operate at the same timings and voltage of 4-4-4-12 and 2.1v

only 8gb? thats no dice...

Looks like its time for a new motherboard! Too bad the ram that kid sent me is garb.
Air Force 1
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600k @4.8 ASUS z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 980ti Ref 2x8gb Ripjaw-X @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 2tb Black WD 1tb Blue Sandisk 120 Asus 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CM Nepton 280L Windows 10 x64 lg 34uc69g-b Patriot v760 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 850 Phanteks Entho Pro Green Mionix Naos 7000 Custom 36"x12" starcitizen mat 
Audio
Dayton BR-1 
  hide details  
Reply
Air Force 1
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600k @4.8 ASUS z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 980ti Ref 2x8gb Ripjaw-X @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 2tb Black WD 1tb Blue Sandisk 120 Asus 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CM Nepton 280L Windows 10 x64 lg 34uc69g-b Patriot v760 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 850 Phanteks Entho Pro Green Mionix Naos 7000 Custom 36"x12" starcitizen mat 
Audio
Dayton BR-1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 5

Should the kits operate at the same speed, timing and frequency although they may be of different size, running them together is fine.
However you should consider that only a 2x1GB pair of the memory will be running in dual channel and the rest of that (may or may not be redundant) 1.5GB memory, if used, will cause the entire setup to reverse to single channel memory (Flex memory/interleaving) - this is probably why you are seeing slower load times despite having more RAM.  Windows optimizes for RAM regardless of channel setup, so if this PC is not being used for anything particularly intensive (i.e. are you gaming and what games?) you may see faster all-around performance by restricting your use of RAM to the 2x1GB kit - newer versions of Windows will run just regardless of RAM amount as long as you have more than 1GB installed.... most of that redundant memory is being usedin the background for things like superfetch, which may enable faster re-loading of some apps but only in some scenarios.

post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by xd_1771 View Post

Should the kits operate at the same speed, timing and frequency although they may be of different size, running them together is fine.

However you should consider that only a 2x1GB pair of the memory will be running in dual channel and the rest of that (may or may not be redundant) 1.5GB memory, if used, will cause the entire setup to reverse to single channel memory (Flex memory/interleaving) - this is probably why you are seeing slower load times despite having more RAM.  Windows optimizes for RAM regardless of channel setup, so if this PC is not being used for anything particularly intensive (i.e. are you gaming and what games?) you may see faster all-around performance by restricting your use of RAM to the 2x1GB kit - newer versions of Windows will run just regardless of RAM amount as long as you have more than 1GB installed.... most of that redundant memory is being usedin the background for things like superfetch, which may enable faster re-loading of some apps but only in some scenarios.

I will be looking to pick up a new MOBO. I will most likely sell my current for $60 and ill pick up some ram.
Air Force 1
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600k @4.8 ASUS z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 980ti Ref 2x8gb Ripjaw-X @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 2tb Black WD 1tb Blue Sandisk 120 Asus 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CM Nepton 280L Windows 10 x64 lg 34uc69g-b Patriot v760 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 850 Phanteks Entho Pro Green Mionix Naos 7000 Custom 36"x12" starcitizen mat 
Audio
Dayton BR-1 
  hide details  
Reply
Air Force 1
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 7600k @4.8 ASUS z170 Sabertooth S EVGA GTX 980ti Ref 2x8gb Ripjaw-X @3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WD 2tb Black WD 1tb Blue Sandisk 120 Asus 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
CM Nepton 280L Windows 10 x64 lg 34uc69g-b Patriot v760 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
OCZ ZX 850 Phanteks Entho Pro Green Mionix Naos 7000 Custom 36"x12" starcitizen mat 
Audio
Dayton BR-1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Memory
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Memory › Odd Amount of RAM Combo Question