Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Lapped my IHS and Zalman 9500
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Lapped my IHS and Zalman 9500

post #1 of 22
Thread Starter 
before...



half way (800 grit)



nearly there (1500 grit)



finished!




Bear with me, I'm about to upload the IHS pics (comcast has slow upload speeds )
post #2 of 22
Thread Starter 
before...



marked with a sharpie



400 grit



800 grit (so freaking hard to lap the middle portion )


1200 grit (middle still had zinc-metal plating )



finished!


post #3 of 22
Thread Starter 
Whole process took a gruesome three hours because I couldn't get the darn zinc off the center of the IHS. The sandpaper kit I ordered from the highly dependable site, pckits.com (I think) only provided small (but rather efficient) sandpaper with grits ranging from 400-2000. Temps used to be a pathetic 48 idle 65 (even hitting 75 with dual prime) load. Now it's at a respectable (but still rather concerning) 36 idle 55 load (62 dual prime for 20 hrs). My question is, I have this at 367 fsb (2.93 ghz) with standard voltage for the cpu (1.325v), and should I increase it to higher volts? I've heard Chozart and others from several threads stating that when they increased the voltage, temps randomly dropped. Shouldn't temps drop if you have lower voltage?
post #4 of 22
Thread Starter 
Anyone?
post #5 of 22
I can't comment on your voltage question... But i do have a question about your lapping. After your 2000 grit, are there still scratches around the IHS if you don't focus on the reflection? I lapped mine and i can still see scratches, but if i look into the IHS, then i can see a reflection still.
post #6 of 22
Did you get those temperature readouts from Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) and any other program that reads Core temperatures?
If so, those are pretty good temps.
Keep upping voltage, just try and stay below 65C for Core (though most say 85C, but that seems TOO HOT).
And yeah, increasing voltage => increases heat output => higher temps.
Those other experiences are just anomalies where increasing voltage leads to lower temps...
Da Gallardo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6420@3.60ghz 4MB L2 Asus P5B Deluxe eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Super Talent 4x1GB DDR2 667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250GB WD2500KS RAID0 DVD±RW & DVD-ROM/CD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Hanns-G 19'' LCD 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 Antec SP2 500W X-Ventilator Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 
  hide details  
Reply
Da Gallardo
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2D E6420@3.60ghz 4MB L2 Asus P5B Deluxe eVGA 8800GTS 640MB Super Talent 4x1GB DDR2 667 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
2x250GB WD2500KS RAID0 DVD±RW & DVD-ROM/CD-RW Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit Hanns-G 19'' LCD 1280x1024 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 Antec SP2 500W X-Ventilator Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hundred Gunner
I can't comment on your voltage question... But i do have a question about your lapping. After your 2000 grit, are there still scratches around the IHS if you don't focus on the reflection? I lapped mine and i can still see scratches, but if i look into the IHS, then i can see a reflection still.
Yep. Same here. There are still very minor scratches on the IHS if you don't focus on reflection. Shouldn't be that much of a concern though, because the main idea to get it as flat as possible. Besides, IMHO, I think that AS5 fills in any holes left by the minor scratches and does it quite well.
post #8 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckp64
Did you get those temperature readouts from Intel Thermal Analysis Tool (TAT) and any other program that reads Core temperatures?
If so, those are pretty good temps.
Keep upping voltage, just try and stay below 65C for Core (though most say 85C, but that seems TOO HOT).
And yeah, increasing voltage => increases heat output => higher temps.
Those other experiences are just anomalies where increasing voltage leads to lower temps...
Well I got those temps from TAT and Core Temp (reports same temps for both). But when I use speed fan and the Gigabyte Easytune5, the temperatures seem a bit too low (25-31 idle) (40-44 load) (47-52 max dual prime for 30 hrs). I still can't find a way to lower those darn temps!
post #9 of 22
Replace the 80mm fans in your case with 50CFM or higher fans. 120's with 100 or higher.

Should do at least 2C.
2 OP pls nerf
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6400 Skylake Asus Z170-E ATX Asus GTX 1060 6GB GeIL 16GB DDR4 3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD Western Digital EZRZ 3TB Cryorig H7 Acer XF270HU 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Philips SHP9500S Lepai LP-2020A+ AudioSource LS100 Polk Audio PSW111 
  hide details  
Reply
2 OP pls nerf
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 6400 Skylake Asus Z170-E ATX Asus GTX 1060 6GB GeIL 16GB DDR4 3600 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Sandisk Ultra II 480GB SSD Western Digital EZRZ 3TB Cryorig H7 Acer XF270HU 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Philips SHP9500S Lepai LP-2020A+ AudioSource LS100 Polk Audio PSW111 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 22
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook
Replace the 80mm fans in your case with 50CFM or higher fans. 120's with 100 or higher.

Should do at least 2C.
Thanks. But I think I had like 7 internal case fans (I cut it down to 5) and the ambient system temps were 31 without the AC on and 26 with the AC on. It's just that my load temps explode when I do dual prime.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Lapped my IHS and Zalman 9500