Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Application Programming › Which programming language do you dislike most?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Which programming language do you dislike most? - Page 36

post #351 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by edalbkrad View Post

i think he meant actionscript, which is the language used by flash animations. thumb.gif
Yeah, I was aware that Flash has an EMCAscript variant embedded. But the way he phrased it would be like someone saying MS Word was their favorite programing language when they really meant they like the power of VBA macros.

But it wasn't just the Flash comment that threw me, it was his UNIX comment as well. Does he mean that he hates the early languages developed for UNIX? Because that includes C, C++, Objective-C, and thus the languages that been heavily influenced from the C (including the aforementioned Actionscript). And if he's not talking specifically about UNIX but instead mainframes as a whole, then that's nearly every modern language covered. Or maybe he just means shell scripts (Bourne Shell et al), which aren't technically programming languages.

It might just have the brevity of his post that confused me, but from the way it read there was little about his post that made sense.
post #352 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

I just don't like BASIC syntax.
VB and BASIC's syntax are very different from each other.

VB's syntax is closer to Pascal (well, Object Pascal / Delphi) than it is to the old days of BASIC.
I just don't like it tongue.gif

One thing I do like from it though is the literal XML.
post #353 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

I just don't like it tongue.gif

One thing I do like from it though is the literal XML.

You're talking about VB.NET now. That's a whole other language again (and a rather pointless one at that).
post #354 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Yeah, I was aware that Flash has an EMCAscript variant embedded. But the way he phrased it would be like someone saying MS Word was their favorite programing language when they really meant they like the power of VBA macros.

But it wasn't just the Flash comment that threw me, it was his UNIX comment as well. Does he mean that he hates the early languages developed for UNIX? Because that includes C, C++, Objective-C, and thus the languages that been heavily influenced from the C (including the aforementioned Actionscript). And if he's not talking specifically about UNIX but instead mainframes as a whole, then that's nearly every modern language covered. Or maybe he just means shell scripts (Bourne Shell et al), which aren't technically programming languages.

It might just have the brevity of his post that confused me, but from the way it read there was little about his post that made sense.
It means I dont like everything about the unix promt. For me it makes programming annoying and slow-going. Though if I had to pick, I really really hate programming java in unix (Yes i had to attempt to do it in college). The rules for everything changes per function it seems.
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
Black Jarvis V1.9
(21 items)
 
Mazdaspeed6
(18 items)
 
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #355 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

I just don't like it tongue.gif

One thing I do like from it though is the literal XML.

You're talking about VB.NET now. That's a whole other language again (and a rather pointless one at that).
Oh right, thought we were both talking about VB.NET. My fault. Sorry redface.gif
post #356 of 447
Java bacause useless for having any control over your software other than speed of creation.
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
Micro Mule
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700k MSI Z170I Gaming Pro AC Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 Gaming 16GB GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3200 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorPower
250GB Crucial MX200, 960GB Adata , 1TB WD Black Noctua NH-L12 LG 27UD68 4k Seasonic M12II 620W 
CaseMouseAudio
Corsair Obsidian 250D Logitech Performance Mouse MX Topping TP-30 Mk2, 2x Polk M10, Sony MDR-7506 
  hide details  
Reply
post #357 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

It means I dont like everything about the unix promt. For me it makes programming annoying and slow-going.
Ahh so you're talking about CLI vs GUI rather than programming languages?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADHDadditiv View Post

Though if I had to pick, I really really hate programming java in unix (Yes i had to attempt to do it in college). The rules for everything changes per function it seems.
How long ago was that and what are you comparing the UNIX JDK to? Java is the same for Unix as it is for Linux and Windows. It's cross platform and has been pretty well standardised for well over a decade. Though if we're talking about 20 years ago then I guess the Microsoft vs Sun JRE implementations might have thrown you. Though if you're comparing UNIX to Android then there would obviously be huge changes as Google developed a non-standard version of Java (Dalvik) for their mobile OS
post #358 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3930K View Post

Oh right, thought we were both talking about VB.NET. My fault. Sorry redface.gif
Yeah, well VB.NET is even less like BASIC than VB6 was. It's a bit of an odd language really. MS finally fixed shipped a decent compiler with VB (in fact I'm sure I've read that VB.NET is competitive with C# - but i might be wrong on that) but managed to completely destroy the one thing VB had going for it: the speed and easy at which developers could prototype applications. Then you have a huge number of breaking changes between VB6 and .NET that meant developers essentially had to learn a whole new language and porting their projects over was no automatic process. So there wasn't really much point in VB.NET existing - people might as well just switch to C#.
post #359 of 447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

Yeah, well VB.NET is even less like BASIC than VB6 was. It's a bit of an odd language really. MS finally fixed shipped a decent compiler with VB (in fact I'm sure I've read that VB.NET is competitive with C# - but i might be wrong on that) but managed to completely destroy the one thing VB had going for it: the speed and easy at which developers could prototype applications. Then you have a huge number of breaking changes between VB6 and .NET that meant developers essentially had to learn a whole new language and porting their projects over was no automatic process. So there wasn't really much point in VB.NET existing - people might as well just switch to C#.

amen
Deus Ex Machina
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 580M Dell 0R1203 NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Samsung 4Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
TOSHIBA MK3256GSYF  TOSHIBA MK3256GSYF  DVD-Rom HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU40N Windows 7 Professional 
Audio
Dell Computer 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Fami... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Athlon 64 X2 6400+  Asus M2N-E Nforce 500 SLi 8800GT  9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ ReaperX WD LG lightscribe Multilayer DVD burner Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0 Aspire X-Navigator 
  hide details  
Reply
Deus Ex Machina
(19 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 580M Dell 0R1203 NVIDIA Quadro FX 2800M Samsung 4Gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
TOSHIBA MK3256GSYF  TOSHIBA MK3256GSYF  DVD-Rom HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GU40N Windows 7 Professional 
Audio
Dell Computer 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Fami... 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Athlon 64 X2 6400+  Asus M2N-E Nforce 500 SLi 8800GT  9800 GT 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveOS
OCZ ReaperX WD LG lightscribe Multilayer DVD burner Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0 Aspire X-Navigator 
  hide details  
Reply
post #360 of 447
I'm just learning but god that sounds awful O.O
 
lappy
(10 items)
 
red box
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6100 @ stock 3.3 GHZ asus sabertooth 990fx :D EVGA SSC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB  CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SD... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 1TB none Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
right now brokededededed T.T generic ._. I think emachines Diablotek UL Series 775W ATX 12V RAIDMAX Agusta 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
generic ._. generic @.@ on board AfterGlow Xbox controller :Blue: 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd V-140 HP 1604 ATI Radeon HD 4250 2 gig not sure which  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250G HDD slim disc X24 drive  no clue ._.  Mint 14 with cinnamon (as my windows like comp... 
MonitorKeyboard
built in  built in  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) ASRock FM2A75M-DGS FM2 AMD A75 SAPPHIRE 100323-2L Radeon HD 6570 1GB pobably cosair 8gig DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ADATA Premier Pro SP600 ASP600S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM  probably stock maybe some cheap 3rd party 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint ~cinnamon~ what ever tv I have at the time  wirless 500W probably  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
what ever I can get cheap that don't look like ... generic generic probably will be played through a sound bar 
  hide details  
Reply
 
lappy
(10 items)
 
red box
(16 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX 6100 @ stock 3.3 GHZ asus sabertooth 990fx :D EVGA SSC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 1GB  CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SD... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Seagate Barracuda 1TB none Thermaltake Frio Overclocking Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
right now brokededededed T.T generic ._. I think emachines Diablotek UL Series 775W ATX 12V RAIDMAX Agusta 
MouseMouse PadAudioOther
generic ._. generic @.@ on board AfterGlow Xbox controller :Blue: 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Amd V-140 HP 1604 ATI Radeon HD 4250 2 gig not sure which  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
250G HDD slim disc X24 drive  no clue ._.  Mint 14 with cinnamon (as my windows like comp... 
MonitorKeyboard
built in  built in  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A4-5300 Trinity 3.4GHz (3.6GHz Turbo) ASRock FM2A75M-DGS FM2 AMD A75 SAPPHIRE 100323-2L Radeon HD 6570 1GB pobably cosair 8gig DDR3 1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ADATA Premier Pro SP600 ASP600S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB ASUS Black 12X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM  probably stock maybe some cheap 3rd party 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint ~cinnamon~ what ever tv I have at the time  wirless 500W probably  
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
what ever I can get cheap that don't look like ... generic generic probably will be played through a sound bar 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Application Programming
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Coding and Programming › Application Programming › Which programming language do you dislike most?