Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Sandy or wait for Ivy?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Sandy or wait for Ivy? - Page 4

post #31 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheth4400 View Post

It is up to you, I decided not to wait and honestly I am happy with my 2600K. As others have said you could just wait solely for the price drops, but at the same time there are used 2600K's and such out there pretty decently priced being sold by people gearing up for Ivy.

What price drops? Bloomfields are still almost $300. Shouldn't the price have dropped when SB came out? K series are the same price even after SB-E. Intel won't drop the price of anything. Used is a different story, but I wouldn't count on the price of the new chips going down. I think I remember Bloomfields going up slightly in price when SB was released...
The Downgrade
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
455 unlocked to quad ASRock 990FX Extreme4 GT430 Adata 1600 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 SSD LITESCRIBE DVD RW 7 Home Premium 64 ASUS 24" 
PowerCase
ABS 850W Dark Beret Powder Coated Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
The Downgrade
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
455 unlocked to quad ASRock 990FX Extreme4 GT430 Adata 1600 4GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
C300 SSD LITESCRIBE DVD RW 7 Home Premium 64 ASUS 24" 
PowerCase
ABS 850W Dark Beret Powder Coated Rocketfish 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckid4u View Post

What price drops? Bloomfields are still almost $300. Shouldn't the price have dropped when SB came out? K series are the same price even after SB-E. Intel won't drop the price of anything. Used is a different story, but I wouldn't count on the price of the new chips going down. I think I remember Bloomfields going up slightly in price when SB was released...

Off topic:

I bought a i7960 for $161.99 plus tax brandnew from a local retailer The price has been $299.99 for ever and just this weekend they priced the discontinued items very low. Pretty happy about it.smile.gif

On topic:

Just wait a bit more. It is true there could be bugs on the initial release of IVY, Like the C1, C2 problem with SB-E. But I'd still take a chance and wait a bit longer.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V2  R4BE  TITAN X (Pascal)   2666 Dominator Platinum CL10 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingOS
750 NVMe 1.2TB EK HF/rx360/rx120 EK FC/GTs/mcp655 Windows 10 Pro  
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
BL3200PT 1600 T2 800d Pro Audio 2.1 + DragonFly Red 
  hide details  
Reply
post #33 of 56
I'd wait if I had the money for a new setup like that, but that's me. I could have gotten a Core 2 Duo E6750, or wait a few months and get the then-new Core 2 Duo E8400 for not much more (it was actually the same, but there was an initial gouge, but not by too much). I did the latter, and with the hindsight now, I'm glad I did. This might not be the same kind of increase Wolfdale was over Conroe, but still.
post #34 of 56
If you *need* now... buy.

If you wait till beginning of April, Ivy will be out and should be slightly better than Sandy. Even if you don't buy ivy, you might be a able to get some older Sandy stuff at a better price than current. SB won't be much inferior to ivy. Little more power consumption, little slower and likely slightly less peak OCs. MSRP for the 3550k and 3770k will be about the same for the 2500k and 2600k.

I keep skipping generations. I have wants, but no needs yet. LGA 775 keeps on keeping on, depite being obselete.
post #35 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleswrivers View Post

I keep skipping generations. I have wants, but no needs yet. LGA 775 keeps on keeping on, depite being obselete.
I'd still be on my Core 2 Duo E8600 had I not won this CPU, and I'd realistically probably have waited until Haswell.
post #36 of 56
may i leave an honest opinion ? if i were to buy a new computer right now , i wouldn't rush to build it right away nor i would buy Ivy bridge after a month of its immediate release. I would wait something like 3-4 months . Because at the time of ivy release it will be very pricy even for the entry level cpus, but if you wait few months you will see more high end IV available in the market wheres the price for the already released proccessor are down by a great scale. But stil i would not buy IV , i would rather buy 17 2600k with half of its current price ( i bet you this, after a month of IVY's release sandy bridge will see price decrease ) and then after a year i would buy a high end IVY bridge with very decent price . It is better to be happy with a high and cpu after some time of its relase , rather than buying an entry level as soon as it release. For example, the i7 870 was tagged at $ 555 when released but within 6 months it was reduced to only $ 289 and still one of the fastest cpu in the gamers world. I myself using it and i dont see any reason to change it near future, an stable 4.5ghz OC will keep in the performance zone.... i will you have my point, becuase wasting money and gettin better things are two different things. so please buy good product while spending wisely ... good luck
post #37 of 56
If you can still "do" what you want on your computer, then wait a few months, if not well go ahead but you might just regret it... tongue.gif

Sounds like in the same boat, I have this four year old laptop, but in all honesty, there's not a single game that I can't apply descent graphics and resolution while staying in the playable fps zone; and so, I'm waiting.
Edited by King Maliken - 2/13/12 at 12:35pm
post #38 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by nckid4u View Post

What price drops? Bloomfields are still almost $300. Shouldn't the price have dropped when SB came out? K series are the same price even after SB-E. Intel won't drop the price of anything. Used is a different story, but I wouldn't count on the price of the new chips going down. I think I remember Bloomfields going up slightly in price when SB was released...
SB and SBE/1366 are not in the same market. And its not Intel that sets the prices, they only set an MSRP/1000, the vendors are the ones that set the final price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Maliken View Post

If you can still "do" what you want on your laptop, then wait a few months, if not well go ahead but you might just regret it... tongue.gif
Sounds like in the same boat, I have this four year old laptop, but in all honesty, there's not a single game that I can't apply descent graphics and resolution while staying in the playable fps zone; and so, I'm waiting.

3 months ago I wouldn't recommend waiting, but its so close now that if you don't need to buy urgently and are paitent enough to wait, I'd say wait. New AMD GPUs, nvidia GPU (or at least more info on it) and IB all within about a month span, it would be worthwile to see what happens with all those. Also the hard drive situation, the longer you wait the more chance they have to drop a bit in price, although its not certain that they will.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 56
Honestly guys, you wait. Ill say this over and over and over again, you will regret if you don't wait.
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
X99 Main Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 5960X Extreme Edition @ 4.5GHz Always Changing VisonTek R9 290 G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 @ 3200MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 128GB M.2 PCI-E 4x SSD Apotop 256GB SSD 1.82TB NAS Noctua NH-D15 with both fans 
OSPower
Win7 Pro Enermax 1000W 
  hide details  
Reply
post #40 of 56
I say wait for skybridge. It's probably only like 2 and a half years away wink.gif !

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
Nano Optimus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920@ 4 Msi Big Bang Power X MSI 560TI Twin Frozr II 4gb Crucial Ballistix 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
124gb Crucial M4 + 500g Black Cavier+ F3 storag Windows 7 Dell u2311h 1080p Xigmateck 650w 
CaseMouse
Antec 902 modded Zowie EC2 
  hide details  
Reply
Nano Optimus
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920@ 4 Msi Big Bang Power X MSI 560TI Twin Frozr II 4gb Crucial Ballistix 1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
124gb Crucial M4 + 500g Black Cavier+ F3 storag Windows 7 Dell u2311h 1080p Xigmateck 650w 
CaseMouse
Antec 902 modded Zowie EC2 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Sandy or wait for Ivy?