Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 580 3GB enigma (Help Required)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GTX 580 3GB enigma (Help Required)

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Ok boys and girls the solution to my problem is eluding me so I'll try to keep the OP simple and clean.

Specifications:
AMD Phenom II X4 960T @ 3.0Ghz (Unlocked prime95 stable at x6)
Asus Crosshair IV Formula 890x
16GB GeIL Enhance CORSA 1333Mhz
Gigabyte GTX580 3GB
500GB WD Black 7200
Cougar CMX 1000 (1000W)
Corsair H70
Windows 7 64-Bit Home Premium


The problem:
I just built a new system with the above listed specifications for a customer and upon installing windows and Nvidia drivers I found that I kept having major FPS lag spikes in Minecraft and Fallout 3 as these were the only games I have installed I used them to test stability. Keep in mind that I run 2x GTX480 in my sig rig (However games like minecraft only utilize one GPU anyway) And I'm used to getting anywhere between 250~350 FPS running around in that game with minimal to no stutter. Going to a GTX580 renders the game nearly unplayable with FPS of up to 90FPS but the clincher is the massive amounts of stutter that cause a minimum of 3 FPS! the same thing happens in Fallout 3 and I have difficulties watching flash movies strangely enough. In all three cases Most of which Fallout 3 I keep getting rather large Greyish Black squares that pop up frequently. (Possibly thinking they are artifacts as I've never actually had a card do this on me)


The Question:
How do I fix this? This computer I'm building is intended for a customer and he's getting anxious to go from an old acer laptop to a custom beast that he payed for with his hard earned money. redface.gif


Failed Solutions: (Oh boy here we go in order first tried to last)
*Installed windows and Nvidia geforce drivers version 285.62
*Utilized driver sweeper and reinstalled Nvidia geforce driver version 285.62
*Utilized driver sweeper and installed Nvidia geforce driver version 295.51
*Utilized driver sweeper and installed Nvidia geforce driver version 275.33
*Utilized driver sweeper and reinstalled Nvidia geforce driver version 285.62
*Restored windows to earlier date before all the driver swaps
*Removed all but one module of Memory and swapped each one out consecutively to no avail
*Locked down my CPU to X4 default operation
*Installed GTX580 in Different x16 lane
*Swapped out the GTX580 for one of my GTX480's and observed the same error on his system
*Swapped out both my GTX480s and installed Gigabyte GTX580 on my system and observed same system instability with a few exclusions
(No problem running Flash movies) (Fallout 3 didn't artifact as much but had more frequent Stutters)
*Tried voltage setting 1.088v & 1.100v respectively via MSI Afterburner

Possible Solutions:
Reinstall of windows 7
RMA GTX580 and get a replacement

Any help pr questions would be greatly appreciated. thumb.gif
post #2 of 7
When you tried the 580 in your rig did you clean and reinstall the driver?
post #3 of 7
Thread Starter 
affirmative


edit:
err yes
post #4 of 7
And you did try one of your 480 in his rig and same thing? You can try some of the latest beta drivers. Have you updated the bios on the board as well as the chipset drivers?

Try bios Version 1304
There are a bunch of stability updated bios's for that board.
Edited by Cape Cod - 2/12/12 at 1:33pm
R2D2
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
R2D2
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #5 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post

And you did try one of your 480 in his rig and same thing? You can try some of the latest beta drivers. Have you updated the bios on the board as well as the chipset drivers?
Try bios Version 1304
There are a bunch of stability updated bios's for that board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fateful_Ikkou View Post

Failed Solutions: (Oh boy here we go in order first tried to last)
*Installed windows and Nvidia geforce drivers version 285.62
*Utilized driver sweeper and reinstalled Nvidia geforce driver version 285.62
*Utilized driver sweeper and installed Nvidia geforce driver version 295.51
*Utilized driver sweeper and installed Nvidia geforce driver version 275.33
*Utilized driver sweeper and reinstalled Nvidia geforce driver version 285.62
*Restored windows to earlier date before all the driver swaps
*Removed all but one module of Memory and swapped each one out consecutively to no avail
*Locked down my CPU to X4 default operation
*Installed GTX580 in Different x16 lane
*Swapped out the GTX580 for one of my GTX480's and observed the same error on his system
*Swapped out both my GTX480s and installed Gigabyte GTX580 on my system and observed same system instability with a few exclusions
(No problem running Flash movies) (Fallout 3 didn't artifact as much but had more frequent Stutters)
*Tried voltage setting 1.088v & 1.100v respectively via MSI Afterburner
Possible Solutions:
Reinstall of windows 7
RMA GTX580 and get a replacement
Any help pr questions would be greatly appreciated. thumb.gif

Highlighted part of the answer in my op and I did reinstall drivers and tried beta drivers.
post #6 of 7
Are you running any program like MSI Afterburner? If so close it and run game I had some issues with AB when I got my card and now use EVGA Precision tool.
R2D2
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
R2D2
(17 items)
 
  
Reply
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod View Post

Are you running any program like MSI Afterburner? If so close it and run game I had some issues with AB when I got my card and now use EVGA Precision tool.

Tried Afterburner, GPU Tweak, and EVGA Precision and it doesn't make a difference, I also just reinstalled windows with only the most basic support and driver installations. I installed Beta Drivers 295.51 and I'm still receiving Choppy performance in Minecraft.

On another note I am using minecraft as a stability/comparison tool, as everyone here knows a GTX580 is more powerful than a GTX480 why am I get such choppy FPS? My gtx480 gets 150~200FPS in single player creative but this 580 gets 60~90 and stutters horribly.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GTX 580 3GB enigma (Help Required)