Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Thinking of watercooling:
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking of watercooling: - Page 2

post #11 of 29
To be honest, it doesn't really matter what fittings you use. Compression fittings look better but they are more costly and can be more fiddly to fit into tight spaces. If you decide to use these fittings, try to connect as much of the tubing to the components while they're outside of the case as possible to avoid as much hard work as you can. Fitting the XSPC Bay Reservoir into the front of my 800D and connecting the tubing wasn't the easiest thing ever with compression fittings. Since I started putting the tubing on before putting the reservoir in, it's much easier.

The diagram looks fine. You should check out DazMode's channel on YouTube.

If you look for his green 800D build on there (I forget the name of it), he uses spacers between small-spaced components such as the CPU block and chipset block, so very little tubing is required. What this does, is levels out the connection between the two components and allows for a very short, straight tube between the two. It looks much better. Basically, say your CPU block outlet port is higher than the chipset block's inlet port, you use spacers (you can buy these in all different sizes) to make them both an equal height to get the tubing on there easily.

Remember, the less bends in your loop, and the shorter your tubing, the better as it allows for more pressure in the loop thus more cooling efficiency (the water has less distance to travel also.)
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 29
The general Rule is 120 RAD per block. After that its all what fans you use. Those RADs you picked are good with high speed high pressure fans. Not really recommended for quite build. I have 2 x 360RADs for 1 x 2500K and HD 6990. I could easly do with with 1 x 360 RAD but not with fans under 1000 RPM.
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
Ishimura
(21 items)
 
Silent Knight
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 3770K @ 4.6GHz ASRock Z77E-ITX eVGA GTX 1080 Ti Hybrid AMD Radeon R9 16GB DDR3-2400MHz  
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
SanDisk Ultra II 960GB Toshiba X300 5TB Corsair H100i GTX eVGA Hybrid Water Cooler  
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
4x GentleTyphoon AP-15 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Philips Brilliance BDM4065UC 4K Razer BlackWidow Chroma  
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
eVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3 Define Nano S Logitech G502 Proteus Core PECHAM Gaming Mouse Pad XX-Large 
AudioAudioAudioAudio
Audioengine D1 DAC Mackie CR Series CR3 Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Sennheiser HD 598 
Audio
Sony XB950BT 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Phenom II X4 955 @ 4.2GHz ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB @ 1200/1500 2x 4GB G.SKILL Ripjaws X DDR3-1600 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 60GB WD Caviar Green 1.5TB 2 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB XSPC Raystorm 
CoolingCoolingOSPower
EK-FC7970 XSPC RS360 Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Corsair TX750 
Case
NZXT Switch 810  
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 29
I've always been under the impression, particularly with lower FPI or thinner rads that it should be 120+(n x 120).
Where n = number of reasonable heat producing blocks. i.e not RAM. I dont know how warm the x79 chipset is but if you're getting 80c with decent airflow then it sounds warm.
I'm cooling a 2600k and a 580 on 2x 240mm rads. With moderate overclocks, the radiators aren't saturated in the slightest, they are both cool to touch, that's an RX and an EX with AP15's on both.
I reach 70c on the CPU and 55c on the GPU when folding.

What I'm getting at is, if your chip runs hot then you can stop it rising but since you're saying you're having to put a fairly high voltage through your chip the temps may still be high.
post #14 of 29
Thread Starter 
Oh guys, I'm not watercooling the chipset, only the VRM's.

Also that diagram was helpful, but the issue is that the top rad and res arrows seem backwards with if.
The mosfets/vrm's and the CPU Block will be level but they are SOO close to each other so I don't think right angle fittings will work, and I'll need a ridiculously right bend.

Also for pumps, the xspc dual bay pump and reservoir seems the easiest to work with compared to the swiftech micro revision reservoir, but the rating on the built in pump (750lph) seems REALLY LOW compared to other pumps. How much flow will I need?

Also I think someone may be mistaken, low FPI radiators are good for slow fans, and since I have quiet a few (intake and exhaust) I'd like to keep them between 900-1600rpm MAX.
Edited by JassimH - 2/15/12 at 10:14pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinnocent View Post

if setup properly your temps should be better than what you think...my gpu's never exceed 42c and my cpu 43c and i am heavily oc'ed wink.gif
heres my thought on hose routing
401

My bad, I can run a reservoir and pump combo. With the tubing on the last GPU how would it fit on? Over the GPU? Would that be okay? Thanks a lot though man smile.gif I'll definitely run this set-up and post pics in the next 2-4 weeks!
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JassimH View Post

Oh guys, I'm not watercooling the chipset, only the VRM's.
Also that diagram was helpful, but the issue is that the top rad and res arrows seem backwards with if.
The mosfets/vrm's and the CPU Block will be level but they are SOO close to each other so I don't think right angle fittings will work, and I'll need a ridiculously right bend.
Also for pumps, the xspc dual bay pump and reservoir seems the easiest to work with compared to the swiftech micro revision reservoir, but the rating on the built in pump (750lph) seems REALLY LOW compared to other pumps. How much flow will I need?
Also I think someone may be mistaken, low FPI radiators are good for slow fans, and since I have quiet a few (intake and exhaust) I'd like to keep them between 900-1600rpm MAX.

Oh yes, definitely. Get the MCP 650 with the XSPC Bay Reservoir (or dual bay reservoir if you plan to maybe run two loops in the future which could be cool) - it looks nice and is very easy to install. The 650 is extremely quiet - mine is on speed 4 and I can only hear it very faintly if I put my ears next to it at the front of the case. Any case fan will easily be louder than it. I suspect it will be like this at speed 5 too but I'm too lazy to take it apart and change it! Speed 4 is fine anyway - a good balance between speed and noise levels if you're worried about the noise.

As for getting the tubing from the bottom graphics card, buy two 45-degree adapters and connect them together to form a 90-degree adapter. This allows for much less restriction in the loop than a single 90-degree fitting. It's what I do and it's an easy way to get the tubing to behave nicely!

Also an idea to think about would be to put a male and female quick disconnect fitting after the last graphics card (or at the bottom of the loop) for easy draining. This way, you can buy an extra male fitting and use some spare tubing to easily drain the loop. Just plug it in, take the reservoir cap off to release the pressure and it drains in a few minutes - it's very handy when having to change your water (which I'd recommend doing every 3-4 months).

Here's what I mean - this is a picture from my loop - excuse the poor picture quality:

448

The tubing then goes up to the bay reservoir at the front of my case. You'll notice that I've used 45-degree fittings pretty much everywhere - I would recommend doing this as it amounts to less tubing used and is easy to get the tubing in without having to bend it - it looks way better too!

Here's an image of the top-half of the loop:

448

The tubing is tucked behind the back of the case at the top (the 800D is awesome for this!) and it makes it look really neat and tidy!

Good luck with your loop - swing me a PM if you have any issues, more than glad to help.
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 29
There are those special SLI and Crossfire fittings, they cost so much so don't bother getting those, compression fittings and a small bit of tubing would work the same.
And also, although the Cosmos S is a stunningly looking case, it's not THAT great for watercooling.

Have you looked at the Xigmatek Eslyium? It's not as good on the aesthetics department but it does look rugged which I dig very much tongue.gif
It can accomodate the 240mm radiator you are looking for AND the 360mm easily.
post #18 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jNSK View Post

Oh yes, definitely. Get the MCP 650 with the XSPC Bay Reservoir (or dual bay reservoir if you plan to maybe run two loops in the future which could be cool) - it looks nice and is very easy to install. The 650 is extremely quiet - mine is on speed 4 and I can only hear it very faintly if I put my ears next to it at the front of the case. Any case fan will easily be louder than it. I suspect it will be like this at speed 5 too but I'm too lazy to take it apart and change it! Speed 4 is fine anyway - a good balance between speed and noise levels if you're worried about the noise.
As for getting the tubing from the bottom graphics card, buy two 45-degree adapters and connect them together to form a 90-degree adapter. This allows for much less restriction in the loop than a single 90-degree fitting. It's what I do and it's an easy way to get the tubing to behave nicely!
Also an idea to think about would be to put a male and female quick disconnect fitting after the last graphics card (or at the bottom of the loop) for easy draining. This way, you can buy an extra male fitting and use some spare tubing to easily drain the loop. Just plug it in, take the reservoir cap off to release the pressure and it drains in a few minutes - it's very handy when having to change your water (which I'd recommend doing every 3-4 months).
Here's what I mean - this is a picture from my loop - excuse the poor picture quality:
448
The tubing then goes up to the bay reservoir at the front of my case. You'll notice that I've used 45-degree fittings pretty much everywhere - I would recommend doing this as it amounts to less tubing used and is easy to get the tubing in without having to bend it - it looks way better too!
Here's an image of the top-half of the loop:
448
The tubing is tucked behind the back of the case at the top (the 800D is awesome for this!) and it makes it look really neat and tidy!
Good luck with your loop - swing me a PM if you have any issues, more than glad to help.

Thanks! The 45 degree adaptor will be very handy in connecting the cpu and gpu! I'm just going to buy all my stuff from frozen CPU, it's much easier to get it all from one place. The only thing I'm "worried" about is hooking up the waterblock to a referance 7970 frown.gif.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 29
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by LokSupguller View Post

There are those special SLI and Crossfire fittings, they cost so much so don't bother getting those, compression fittings and a small bit of tubing would work the same.
And also, although the Cosmos S is a stunningly looking case, it's not THAT great for watercooling.
Have you looked at the Xigmatek Eslyium? It's not as good on the aesthetics department but it does look rugged which I dig very much tongue.gif
It can accomodate the 240mm radiator you are looking for AND the 360mm easily.

I like the xigmatech biggrin.gif. They don't have a reseller here though :\. I was actually going to get a caselabs case, then I saw shipping costs which costed 2x the case and would take like 4 weeks to arrive...

Edit:

How much tubing will be needed? (obviously I'll add extra but I need a rough idea).
Edited by JassimH - 2/16/12 at 1:58am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4930k Rampage 4 extreme GTX Titan (SLI) Corsair dominator platinum 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 840 pro Vertex 4 12x Bluray Pioneer H100 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NF-F12 Windows 8 Pro 64 bit Qnix 2710 @ 120.1hz Razer blackwidow 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic 1300w Cosmos 2 Razer Taipan Razer Goliathus Extended 
AudioAudioAudio
Xonar Essence STX ATH-AD2000X Bose Companion 20 
  hide details  
Reply
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JassimH View Post

Thanks! The 45 degree adaptor will be very handy in connecting the cpu and gpu! I'm just going to buy all my stuff from frozen CPU, it's much easier to get it all from one place. The only thing I'm "worried" about is hooking up the waterblock to a referance 7970 frown.gif.

Don't worry, it's much easier than you think. Just take your time and for god sakes, ensure you cover up the memory chips correctly - miss one of those and things can go very wrong very fast. The guide that comes with the waterblock will have detailed diagrams so this is very hard to do.

As for the tubing, buy 3 metres just to be sure. It's always better to have some left over than not have enough. You'll have more than enough with this amount of tubing.
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
Project 4
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 Lynnfield @ 4.4 GHz, 1.41v EVGA P55 SLi (132-LF-E655-KR) - A72 BIOS EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws @ 9-9-9-24, 1.51V 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
80GB Intel X25-M SSD + 500GB WD + 2TB Samsung F3 Samsung Super Writemaster DVD+-R Windows 7 Ultimate Edition Samsung SyncMaster 2433 24" 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G15 Corsair TX750 750W Corsair Obsidian 800D + Scythe Kaze Master Ace Razer Deathadder Respawn - Black 
Mouse Pad
Steelseries QcK Medium - Black 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Water Cooling
Overclock.net › Forums › Cooling › Water Cooling › Thinking of watercooling: