Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › (Reviewed) $400 2560x1440 IPS no-AG 90hz+ Achieva Shimian QH270 and Catleap Q270
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

(Reviewed) $400 2560x1440 IPS no-AG 90hz+ Achieva Shimian QH270 and Catleap Q270 - Page 180

Poll Results: Vote when your Achieva/Catleap monitor comes in.

 
  • 41% (232)
    Achieva QH270
  • 2% (12)
    Achieva QH270 (DOA / didn't recieve)
  • 8% (46)
    Achieva QH270 (Dead pixel(s) / flawed panel)
  • 40% (224)
    Catleap Q270
  • 1% (8)
    Catleap Q270 (DOA / didn't recieve)
  • 5% (33)
    Catleap Q270 (Dead pixel(s) / flawed panel)
555 Total Votes  
post #1791 of 4784
Hey everyone!
This is my first post here so I'll get right to the chase..

I was thinking about getting this monitor for my 15" MBP (late 2011) and was wondering if it would work?
I know ill need the mini-display port to dual link dvi adapter but those things are $$$
I was actually just about to get the Samsung S27A950 till i stumbled across a thread that was talking about these.
My main uses for it would be for my photography/graphicdesign/video editing so do you think the IPS would be better then getting the samsung TN panel?
By the time i get the adapter and set it all up it will cost around the same amount as getting the S27A950.
So which to get?!?

Oh and I'm in Australia, will the power thing work here?

PS I found one that had hdmi inputs and was wondering if it's possible for hdmi to do bigger resolutions than 1080p?

THANKS!
post #1792 of 4784
I have to ask. I've heard people mention that the Catleap can do over 60hz. Is that possible when running at 2560x1440? If so I would consider dropping 3d support for one of these.
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H MSI TF3 7950 Tri-fire Samsung 30nm 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 320 160GB and a few samsung platters Windows7 x64 Catleap Q270 Rosewill mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Xigmatek Elysium Razer Deathadder Puretrak talent 
Audio
Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H MSI TF3 7950 Tri-fire Samsung 30nm 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 320 160GB and a few samsung platters Windows7 x64 Catleap Q270 Rosewill mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Xigmatek Elysium Razer Deathadder Puretrak talent 
Audio
Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1793 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post

I have to ask. I've heard people mention that the Catleap can do over 60hz. Is that possible when running at 2560x1440? If so I would consider dropping 3d support for one of these.

Some have had success, but others haven't. It seems to be par for the course with these monitors. Like pulling the arm on a slot machine! tongue.gif

Can't wait to get mine and see if I win! biggrin.gif
Hephaestus
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5 2500K [4.5Ghz][100x45][1.29v] MSi P67A-GD65 [1.9 BIOS] MSi GTX670 PE OC MSi GTX670 PE OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz [9-9-9-24] Crucial M4 256GB [CORE] WD Caviar Black 1TB [FILEZ] WD Caviar Black 2TB [GAMEZ] 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-Ray Combo Corsair H50 [Push/Pull][UltraKaze 3Ks] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Retail SP1 Yamakasi Catleap Q270 27" S-IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Antec TP-750 Blue Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Razer Naga Epic 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Fragger Speed  X-Fi Titanium Logitech z5300 5.1 Logitech G930 
OtherOther
MS LifeCam Studio 1080p Belkin n52te 
  hide details  
Reply
Hephaestus
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i5 2500K [4.5Ghz][100x45][1.29v] MSi P67A-GD65 [1.9 BIOS] MSi GTX670 PE OC MSi GTX670 PE OC 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz [9-9-9-24] Crucial M4 256GB [CORE] WD Caviar Black 1TB [FILEZ] WD Caviar Black 2TB [GAMEZ] 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
LG Blu-Ray Combo Corsair H50 [Push/Pull][UltraKaze 3Ks] Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Retail SP1 Yamakasi Catleap Q270 27" S-IPS 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Antec TP-750 Blue Lian Li Lancool PC-K62 Razer Naga Epic 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Razer Goliathus Fragger Speed  X-Fi Titanium Logitech z5300 5.1 Logitech G930 
OtherOther
MS LifeCam Studio 1080p Belkin n52te 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1794 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanyeah View Post

Hey everyone!
This is my first post here so I'll get right to the chase..
I was thinking about getting this monitor for my 15" MBP (late 2011) and was wondering if it would work?
I know ill need the mini-display port to dual link dvi adapter but those things are $$$
I was actually just about to get the Samsung S27A950 till i stumbled across a thread that was talking about these.
My main uses for it would be for my photography/graphicdesign/video editing so do you think the IPS would be better then getting the samsung TN panel?
By the time i get the adapter and set it all up it will cost around the same amount as getting the S27A950.
So which to get?!?
Oh and I'm in Australia, will the power thing work here?
PS I found one that had hdmi inputs and was wondering if it's possible for hdmi to do bigger resolutions than 1080p?
THANKS!

One this is for sure, the apple mini display port to dvi adapter is OVERPRICED. it's not an active converter for sure, so why is it $100? actually it probably is

I believe there are way cheaper alternatives, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Female-Adapter-Macbook-Laptop/dp/B003BHHIA4/ref=pd_cp_e_2

If I were you, I would definitely not go for the TN monitor. For content creation, you want the viewing angle and contrast boost of IPS or PVA monitors.

However, do a bit more research about compatibility with macbooks, the adapter, and this monitor. Someone else here I believe said something about ordering one for this macbook.
I myself will order one for my hackintosh machine soon thumb.gif

edit. you may want to double check that those cheap adapters work at dual link. after looking at it some more it looks like the expensive ones are the ones that can go up to 2560x1600
Edited by mahdi - 3/11/12 at 6:53pm
post #1795 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented View Post

Some have had success, but others haven't. It seems to be par for the course with these monitors. Like pulling the arm on a slot machine! tongue.gif
Can't wait to get mine and see if I win! biggrin.gif

For the people that it does work for does it work right out of the box or do you need some hack?
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H MSI TF3 7950 Tri-fire Samsung 30nm 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 320 160GB and a few samsung platters Windows7 x64 Catleap Q270 Rosewill mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Xigmatek Elysium Razer Deathadder Puretrak talent 
Audio
Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 3570k Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H MSI TF3 7950 Tri-fire Samsung 30nm 4x4GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Intel 320 160GB and a few samsung platters Windows7 x64 Catleap Q270 Rosewill mechanical 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX850 Xigmatek Elysium Razer Deathadder Puretrak talent 
Audio
Xonar Essence STX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1796 of 4784
Looks like Dream-Seller took his listing down for the vanilla Catleap. Green-sum or dcsamsungmall.... hmm.
post #1797 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahdi View Post

One this is for sure, the apple mini display port to dvi adapter is OVERPRICED. it's not an active converter for sure, so why is it $100? actually it probably is
I believe there are way cheaper alternatives, like this one: http://www.amazon.com/DisplayPort-Female-Adapter-Macbook-Laptop/dp/B003BHHIA4/ref=pd_cp_e_2
If I were you, I would definitely not go for the TN monitor. For content creation, you want the viewing angle and contrast boost of IPS or PVA monitors.
However, do a bit more research about compatibility with macbooks, the adapter, and this monitor. Someone else here I believe said something about ordering one for this macbook.
I myself will order one for my hackintosh machine soon thumb.gif
edit. you may want to double check that those cheap adapters work at dual link

For get 2560x1440 through MiniDP you need a Dual link DVI adapter, Apple´s adapter it is
post #1798 of 4784
Does somebody know how to take apart a Shimian? I have the tempered glass model and would like to and try to fix a dead pixel in the IPS panel. i don't care about the dust getting under the glass risks.
post #1799 of 4784
If you need to do minidisplayport to DVI-D (Dual-Link) (ie MacBook Pro to this monitor), here's a somewhat cheaper option than Apple's from a reputable source:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10428&cs_id=1042802&p_id=6904&seq=1&format=2
post #1800 of 4784
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy61 View Post

Has anyone bought through red-cap? He is selling Catleaps without tempered glass for $371 OBO. Is he reputable? Does anyone know how much he will take for OBO?
Thinking about picking up 3 of these to upgrade my 5760x1200 setup. Don't know how long I can hold out biggrin.gif.

I posted a few posts up with the same question.
Title Pending
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH MSI GTX-670 Power Edition Crucial Tactical Tracer 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Samsung 830 Samsung 840 Swiftech H220 Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Seasonic X-650 Gold Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M90 
Audio
Onkyo 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
Title Pending
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 3570K Gigabyte Z77X-UP4 TH MSI GTX-670 Power Edition Crucial Tactical Tracer 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingMonitor
Samsung 830 Samsung 840 Swiftech H220 Dell U2713HM 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K90 Seasonic X-650 Gold Fractal Arc Midi R2 Corsair M90 
Audio
Onkyo 5.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › (Reviewed) $400 2560x1440 IPS no-AG 90hz+ Achieva Shimian QH270 and Catleap Q270