Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Looks like the Vcore isn't always rising when my 2500K clocks up...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looks like the Vcore isn't always rising when my 2500K clocks up...

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 
I've been overclocking my 2500K today and it seems to be running pretty nicely at 4.5Ghz using -offset voltage with LLC on high. I've noticed a weird issue though. When I leave the computer idling the core speed will sit around 1.6Ghz as normal with the voltage fluctuating a little either side of 1v. No problem there. But sometimes while it's idling the core clock will briefly go up to 4.5Ghz (for around a second or 2) but the Vcore will only be at around 1.1XXv when it does this. When I stress test it the Vcore will be between 1.3v-1.32v under load (sometimes spikes up to 1.33v).

What I don't get is why does it briefly bump up to 4.5Ghz when idling and not have the Vcore bump up accordingly? I think this could be a cause of instability issues.
Could it just be an incorrect reading on the Vcore or is there another reason for this issue?

Hopefully someone can help me make some sense of this!

Thanks smile.gif
post #2 of 10
Thread Starter 
anyone got any ideas? :/
post #3 of 10
Thread Starter 
last time i bump this. sorry but i was really hoping someone could help? rolleyes.gif
post #4 of 10
Just remember that background processes need to be taken into consideration ]when experimenting / reading voltages etc in the OS. Most of the time when running an OS (unless it's stripped and you know of the processes running) it's difficult to determine what is using the CPU. I wouldn't worry about it. If you're idling and the CPU is continuously doing that and staying at the clocked speed for a prolonged period of time then yeah it may be something to check out, but for now I would call it an anomaly or in this case, completely normal.

Hope that helps clear things up thumb.gif

EDIT:

Also software readings are not 100% smile.gif

If there was instability, you would know about it ie. Idle BSOD. tongue.gif
Edited by munaim1 - 2/17/12 at 6:51pm
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
it looks alive
(17 items)
 
Sandy Transformed
(69 photos)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K [5ghz 1.44v 24/7] Asus Maximus IV Extreme SLI GTX 460 @ 920/1840/4100 [1.11v] 4GB Dominator GT @ 2133mhz CL8 [1.65v] 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel X25-M G2 80GB 3x Samsung F3 500GB RAID 0 EK Supreme HF Full Copper Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit 
MonitorPowerCaseAudio
LG42SL9500 42" 1080p [Surround Soon] XFX XXX Edition 650w Xigmatec Elysium JVC HA-RX700 [foam mod] 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 10
I noticed this a while back too, dont even sweat it. Its just the innacuracies of the software processes. I guarantee if you tried to boot up a computer at 4.5+ghz let alone use for longer than a second, you would just crash at 1v
post #6 of 10
Thread Starter 
thanks guys! yeh i figured it was probably just an anomoly with the software as said. just thought it might be a known issue so thought id ask. i was also suspicous because ive been testing my 4.5Ghz overclock and found i could play games for hours with no issues but i would get blue screens when just watching a youtube video or something. thought it was this apparent momentary undervoltage scenario that was causing the issue. ive got things more stable since then though and have discovered that a little bit more on the vccio and vcore have helped. also ive noticed that the asus motherboard software shows my cpu temps as 10c lower than hwmonitor. i reckon i'll probably just trust the asus software ay! haha. cheers thumb.gif
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ET900 View Post

thanks guys! yeh i figured it was probably just an anomoly with the software as said. just thought it might be a known issue so thought id ask. i was also suspicous because ive been testing my 4.5Ghz overclock and found i could play games for hours with no issues but i would get blue screens when just watching a youtube video or something. thought it was this apparent momentary undervoltage scenario that was causing the issue. ive got things more stable since then though and have discovered that a little bit more on the vccio and vcore have helped. also ive noticed that the asus motherboard software shows my cpu temps as 10c lower than hwmonitor. i reckon i'll probably just trust the asus software ay! haha. cheers thumb.gif

Well if you get idle bsods like that you may just be using too low of an offset voltage. For me -.010 works for 4.5ghz. For your board it may be different. But anything lower than -.010 would take my idle downlock voltage to like .98v or so, so thats when I start to question whetehr or not that is going to be enough. Id be curious to hear just how far below 1v some guys are able to get a stable idle voltage
post #8 of 10
I notice this after (i think last) BIOS update ,not much you can do about it ,as for crashing under light load ..if it happens just drop your LLC to Medium (for 4.5 you don't need LLC @ high at list i don't )
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930K Rampage IV Gene SLI Evga GTX 780 Classy 16Gb TeamX2400c9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro/ Hitachi Deskstar 1TB  H20 (NexXxoS 420+280) w7x64 VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logitech G110 SuperNOVA 1300 G2 G502 Proteus Core Foobar2K/WASAPI >NuForce Icon HDP >Crack with S... 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4930K Rampage IV Gene SLI Evga GTX 780 Classy 16Gb TeamX2400c9 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 840 Pro/ Hitachi Deskstar 1TB  H20 (NexXxoS 420+280) w7x64 VG248QE 
KeyboardPowerMouseAudio
Logitech G110 SuperNOVA 1300 G2 G502 Proteus Core Foobar2K/WASAPI >NuForce Icon HDP >Crack with S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 10
Just a thought but does the i5-2500k have the ability to clock up a single core while leaving the other cores at rest? Maybe it only needs 1.1V when one core is overclocked while other cores are at idle.
Edited by johnny13oi - 2/17/12 at 9:05pm
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E3200 @ 3.5Ghz MSI G31TM-P21 VisionTek 4850 512MB (DEAD NOW) 2 x 1GB Corsair Ballistix 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250GB WD IDE Cooler Master 550W Gateway Case 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
E3200 @ 3.5Ghz MSI G31TM-P21 VisionTek 4850 512MB (DEAD NOW) 2 x 1GB Corsair Ballistix 
Hard DrivePowerCase
250GB WD IDE Cooler Master 550W Gateway Case 
  hide details  
Reply
post #10 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarmageddon88 View Post

Well if you get idle bsods like that you may just be using too low of an offset voltage. For me -.010 works for 4.5ghz. For your board it may be different. But anything lower than -.010 would take my idle downlock voltage to like .98v or so, so thats when I start to question whetehr or not that is going to be enough. Id be curious to hear just how far below 1v some guys are able to get a stable idle voltage

yeh i had a much lower -offset than that. currently at -20 and stable on prime95 for an hour so far. idling at less than 1v smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post

I notice this after (i think last) BIOS update ,not much you can do about it ,as for crashing under light load ..if it happens just drop your LLC to Medium (for 4.5 you don't need LLC @ high at list i don't )

thats a good point and i took munaim1's advice from his overclocking guide by lowering LLC to high instead of ultra high so my idle voltage is a little higher. stuff seems to be going quite well so far smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny13oi View Post

Just a tought but does the i5-2500k have the ability to clock up a single core while leaving the other cores at rest? Maybe it only needs 1.1V when one core is overclocked while other cores are at idle.

thats a good point man! i hadn't really considered that. i know my 955 would sometimes only clock up one core at times. never paid attention to the voltage on it when it did that though!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Looks like the Vcore isn't always rising when my 2500K clocks up...