Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First ever build, hope it turns out nice!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First ever build, hope it turns out nice! - Page 2

post #11 of 106
Thread Starter 
Will do with the updates,

I probably should have chosen a better title than 'first ever build......' such a generic and common title lol.

Anyway, it's no-where near as good as some of the build logs out there. In fact I'd say it's a budget build. Apart from the gpu, and psu, it's all going to be best performance/value and you guy and gals have seen this kind of build a zillion times I am sure. But I'm enjoying it anyway. My gf is a flight attendant and is never home mad.gif, at least I can use the dining room table as my build station thumb.gif
Edited by ilikebeer - 2/17/12 at 2:42am
post #12 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Will do with the updates,

I probably should have chosen a better title than 'first ever build......' such a generic and common title lol.

Anyway, it's no-where near as good as some of the build logs out there. In fact I'd say it's a budget build. Apart from the gpu, and psu, it's all going to be best performance/value and you guy and gals have seen this kind of build a zillion times I am sure. But I'm enjoying it anyway. My gf is a flight attendant and is never home mad.gif, at least I can use the dining room table as my build station thumb.gif
 

Does she come into the US?  If so you may be able to get her to pick up some cheaper for you hardware for your build. tongue.gif biggrin.gif  Okay, maybe not a great idea.smile.gif

 

I wouldn't worry so much about everyone elses builds in as long as your build is good for you as that's all that counts in the end. thumb.gif
 

 


 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Today the psu arrived. I know it is too much power for a single gpu rig. I just decided to get something a bit future proof so that, if next year I upgrade my gpu, I can just keep the current one in there and it can be busy folding@home, or searching for aliens with seti@home. After reading this site and thanks to input from others I am also aware a good psu is one of the most important parts of a build.

400

400

Corsair packaged the psu very nicely, velvet bag, black pouch for cables. But see what I circled in red, my camera isn't great at close ups (or maybe I just don't know how to use it), but it says 'void if broken'. It's a sticker and it doesn't overlap anything.... that really doesn't instill any confidence about my 7 year warranty lol! How can they know if I open/tamper with it?

I mounted it upside down, I'm not sure if this is correct. I am assuming that it will be happier drawing in air from under the case than from within the case. Please let me know if i'm wrong. The two sleeved cables are very stiff and didn't want to unwind, had difficulty routing them through the bottom rubber grommet, hope didn't damage them in the process.

400

400

700

flush fit.

I am undecided about airflow... see the photo bellow. Basically I want to keep it simple/logical... one 140mm intake at front, two 120mm intakes at bottom, one 140mm at side blowing over gpu (case has space for two but a higher intake would block after-market cpu cooler I am told), one 120mm exit at back, and two 140mm exhausts at the top. Blue arrows are... cool air... red arrows are? Congrats, you have an IQ over 70. Help me turn this thing into a HAF! With so many intakes I hope it will have positive pressure inside.

There was someone who claimed to have a degree in thermodynamics who said that with this case, it is better to have very powerful fans at the top blowing air INTO the case. Despite going against the law of nature that hot air rises, he said this way the cool air reaches the most important components first, the cpu then the gfx card. He also recommended having the side panel fan as an exhaust. No idea if he is correct or not.

400

As the front is red led, I might just get two 120mm red leds for the bottom intakes so that the case has a mysterious/glum red glow about it coming from front, bottom. This would be visible even though this thing doesn't have a side window.

Lastly, I dismantled a 2TB WD Elements Portable I bought back when they cost around 80$, to save a bit of money... it's not a very good HDD, well, it gets 3 eggs on newegg USA. But it won't be the system drive so here it is. It worked just fine while being used as a portable HDD over a usb 2.0 interface.

400

Now it's mobo and ram time!! I need another night researching what to get and then hopefully I can continue this build over the weekend.

 

Airflow is one thing that you can get recommendations on, but I would experiment to see what's the best fan setup to optimize the best temperatures.  But looking good to this point.


Whatever you do don't touch the PSU Warranty sticker you circled in red as most likely there's a screw underneath it as well as to keep it intact for any potential within 7 years in the future RMA.

 

Otherwise = nice PSU.specool.gif

 

 

post #13 of 106
Thread Starter 
Got a few more pieces today:

399

400

Asrock extreme 3 gen 3. Clearly there are better mobo's, but they are 50% more expensive biggrin.gif and this one seems to have decent reviews and looks to be future proof (at least until intel decides to force us all to upgrade).

The board doesn't have front usb capability but my case doesn't either so not a big deal for me. Also got some ripjaws 8GB 1.5v. Did barely a minute research into ram so I hope these are ok. Basically I chose them because they are red, and as you can also see I bought another two red led 120mm fans for bottom intake.

Will put it all in a bit later and post another pic.

It was a bit chaotic, I went to a famous shanghai electronic shopping mall which has like everything, but it's also like a flea market with bits and pieces of pc's all over the ground, people building pc's everywhere etc. I looked everywhere for one of these but they don't have:

300

I am concerned about static messing up my build. Is it really bad to touch the mobo and connect cables to it without an anti static ribbon? Please let me know. If so, is there anything make-shift I can do to ensure I don't destroy my build from static?

Thanks for tinning in.
post #14 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

It was a bit chaotic, I went to a famous shanghai electronic shopping mall which has like everything, but it's also like a flea market with bits and pieces of pc's all over the ground, people building pc's everywhere etc. I looked everywhere for one of these but they don't have:
300
I am concerned about static messing up my build. Is it really bad to touch the mobo and connect cables to it without an anti static ribbon? Please let me know. If so, is there anything make-shift I can do to ensure I don't destroy my build from static?
Thanks for tinning in.

As long as you are not building the computer over a carpet in your socks and have jittery legs, you should be fine. Just touch an unpainted metal piece somewhere before you handle the mobo/cpu, and keep periodically touching it to make sure no static builds up.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K MSI P67A-G43 MSI GTX 460 Cyclone Ripjaws X 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
Vertex 2 WD Green ASUS Windows 7 
PowerCase
Antec TruePower New 750 HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 106
Thread Starter 
Mobo in. At first it was very confusing as this board although ATX size only needs 7 standoff's.

700

Take a look at the back, I think I won't need to remove the mobo to install after-market cooler.

400

400

700

Now have three red fans installed at the bottom/front.

400

Alot of mobo manual reading to do... will take some time. It's a pretty fat manual.

One concern is I noticed that the corsair 24 pin power cable thingy that powers the mobo, well it only has 23 pieces of metal in it. One of those black squares is empty. Is that normal?

Obviously It won't turn on until I get the i5 2500k, but can I get the fans running as the build is... just for the hell of it? Or does powering up a mobo without a cpu make it explode.
Edited by ilikebeer - 2/18/12 at 6:37am
post #16 of 106
Yeah you can power up the fans without the motherboard, you just have to jump two pins. Follow these steps

http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/196/1
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 P6T NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 OCZ3x1333LV2G 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ3x1333LV2G OCZ3x1333LV2G Western Digital WD Green WD15EADS Crucial M4 SSD 120 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX Windows 10 ASUS VG248QE Ducky Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 Fractal Design Define R5 Logitech G5 Steelseries 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5660 P6T NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 OCZ3x1333LV2G 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
OCZ3x1333LV2G OCZ3x1333LV2G Western Digital WD Green WD15EADS Crucial M4 SSD 120 GB 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX Windows 10 ASUS VG248QE Ducky Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 Fractal Design Define R5 Logitech G5 Steelseries 
Audio
Sennheiser HD 558 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 106
Looks great so far, hope you are having fun building it thumb.gif
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 960 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7970 VAPOR-X 8GB 1866mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3 RAID 0 // Se... Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+/-R/+/-RW + Asetek Liquid Cooling 510CL Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
22" LG M2250D Raidmax RX-1000W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 960 Asus P6X58D-E Sapphire HD 7970 VAPOR-X 8GB 1866mhz Corsair Dominator GT 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
2 x 120 GB Corsair Force Series 3 RAID 0 // Se... Sony 24X Double Layer Dual Format DVD+/-R/+/-RW + Asetek Liquid Cooling 510CL Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit 
MonitorPowerCase
22" LG M2250D Raidmax RX-1000W NZXT Phantom 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Mobo in. At first it was very confusing as this board although ATX size only needs 7 standoff's.

400
Alot of mobo manual reading to do... will take some time. It's a pretty fat manual.
Obviously It won't turn on until I get the i5 2500k, but can I get the fans running as the build is... just for the hell of it? Or does powering up a mobo without a cpu make it explode.

From what i can see from the picture above, you are using fans that are powered by a molex connector (white connector on fan wire). If you plug these connectors into the molex connectors on your PSU you will be able to test your fans.

Your builds looking good so far thumb.gif
Skylake
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X - Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2400MHz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 250GB Samsung 850 Evo 500GB Western Digital 1TB XSPC Raystorm + EX240 Radiator 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H x 2 Logitech G510 Corsair RM650 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Define R5 Corsair M60 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700k Gigabyte Z170X - Gaming 7 EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2400MHz) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 250GB Samsung 850 Evo 500GB Western Digital 1TB XSPC Raystorm + EX240 Radiator 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Pro Dell U2414H x 2 Logitech G510 Corsair RM650 
CaseMouse
Fractal Design Define R5 Corsair M60 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 106
Thread Starter 
I'm just going to power on the mobo and plug a few fans into the mobo. I'm sure it will show some error codes, I put in the ram in the correct channels for dual mode however.

When i plugged in the 24 pin power cable into the mobo, i didn't hear a nice click sound. Is it in far enough? The 8 pin power that goes to the top of the mobo made a satisfying click sound. But with the 24pin one I dont want to force it too hard and damage the mobo.

Connected properly the 24 and 8 pins to the mobo for power. Nadaaaaa. No life. Either the mobo is dead or the psu is dead. mad.gif Mobo has a power button on it for use if you use test stand etc. Still won't show any life. Unless there's something particular about this mobo that is needed to get it to turn on (i did read the manual) then thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Paper clip trick worked and i got a fan running using a molex connector. So does this mean my new mobo is just DOA?

400

So the psu isn't the problem. Don't know what to do now.
Edited by ilikebeer - 2/18/12 at 9:12am
post #20 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

I'm just going to power on the mobo and plug a few fans into the mobo. I'm sure it will show some error codes, I put in the ram in the correct channels for dual mode however.

When i plugged in the 24 pin power cable into the mobo, i didn't hear a nice click sound. Is it in far enough? The 8 pin power that goes to the top of the mobo made a satisfying click sound. But with the 24pin one I dont want to force it too hard and damage the mobo.

Connected properly the 24 and 8 pins to the mobo for power. Nadaaaaa. No life. Either the mobo is dead or the psu is dead. mad.gif Mobo has a power button on it for use if you use test stand etc. Still won't show any life. Unless there's something particular about this mobo that is needed to get it to turn on (i did read the manual) then thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Paper clip trick worked and i got a fan running using a molex connector. So does this mean my new mobo is just DOA?

400

So the psu isn't the problem. Don't know what to do now.


See! It worked!

 

And no it doesn't mean your mobo is DOA.  It shouldn't work without a processor installed.

 

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First ever build, hope it turns out nice!