Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First ever build, hope it turns out nice!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

First ever build, hope it turns out nice! - Page 8

post #71 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Any advice on the chassis connections such as power/reset/ etc? I'm scared to power it back on if I put them in the wrong headers. They all went into 'area 20' but I didn't care if upside down, left or right etc.

it should say on the mobo itsself.. usually there labeld if all else fails check your user manual. dont jsut randomly plug them it lol thats never gonna work
post #72 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onions View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Any advice on the chassis connections such as power/reset/ etc? I'm scared to power it back on if I put them in the wrong headers. They all went into 'area 20' but I didn't care if upside down, left or right etc.

it should say on the mobo itsself.. usually there labeld if all else fails check your user manual. dont jsut randomly plug them it lol thats never gonna work


 

Thanks for adding that in which I forgot to in my prior post - not enough coffee yet lol!

 

I think that it would also give ilikebeer OP more practice which isn't a bad thing.

 

smile.gif

 

 

post #73 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Any advice on the chassis connections such as power/reset/ etc? I'm scared to power it back on if I put them in the wrong headers. They all went into 'area 20' but I didn't care if upside down, left or right etc.

heh, I had trouble with that to :/
try examining the MB manual closer,
and I'm not entirely sure, but I think you can damage your MB if those are connected really bad i.e. randomly rolleyes.gif

and for RAM, if you are only using the rig for gaming, browsing the net, watching movies, etc. you don't need more than 8GB, only go for 16GB if you use a lot of video or photo editing software, run 3D modelling applications and the likes smile.gif
1351645
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M PRO AMD Integrated Radeon HD 6550D ASUS 6670 1GB GDDR5 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance WD Caviar Blue 3.5" WD Scorpio Blue 2.5" Coolermaster 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VW246H 24" 2ms Corsair AX650 NZXT Vulcan 
Audio
Logitec Z506 5.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
1351645
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD A8-3870k ASUS F1A75-M PRO AMD Integrated Radeon HD 6550D ASUS 6670 1GB GDDR5 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Corsair Vengeance WD Caviar Blue 3.5" WD Scorpio Blue 2.5" Coolermaster 212 EVO 
OSMonitorPowerCase
Windows 7 Ultimate ASUS VW246H 24" 2ms Corsair AX650 NZXT Vulcan 
Audio
Logitec Z506 5.1 Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #74 of 106
Thread Starter 
Bought a vga cable and connected rig to tv. Got into the bios. Here's some pics:

400

400

400

Been running it for about an hour, the cpu temp hasn't gone above 43.5c, mobo temp not above 26c. But the Vcore + 12.00v and + 5.00V (circled in red) keeps changing constantly by itself by minute amounts. Is that normal? I also noticed I left in the top dust filter on the chassis so I'll have to remove that to take it out. Only 4 of the case fans are running and the case is wide open front and back. I booted this thing without any chassis connectors in, just from the mobo power button.

Does all seem good/normal from what you can see in the bios? Ambient temps in my apartment are probably less than 10c.

biggrin.gif
Edited by ilikebeer - 2/22/12 at 11:31pm
post #75 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Bought a vga cable and connected rig to tv. Got into the bios. Here's some pics:
400
400
400
Been running it for about an hour, the cpu temp hasn't gone above 43.5c, mobo temp not above 26c. But the Vcore + 12.00v and + 5.00V (circled in red) keeps changing constantly by itself by minute amounts. Is that normal? I also noticed I left in the top dust filter on the chassis so I'll have to remove that to take it out. Only 4 of the case fans are running and the case is wide open front and back. I booted this thing without any chassis connectors in, just from the mobo power button.
Does all seem good/normal from what you can see in the bios? Ambient temps in my apartment are probably less than 10c.
biggrin.gif

Seems a bit hot? Are you running stock? tongue.gif

Also yeah, they're meant to change a bit. For the 80 plus standards theres a certain percentage they aren't meant to drop below. Even so they can drop a bit below that without damage to hardware.
Generally it's fine! biggrin.gif
 
Seven Seven Five
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1179/1450) 16GB G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Seven Seven Five
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1179/1450) 16GB G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
post #76 of 106
Thread Starter 
Yes running stock intel cool atm (this is even hot for stock?)... until the weekend when I put in a silver arrow. It's probably not abnormally hot, I found on the internet that in the bios the cpu is under significant load. It isn't idle at all
Quote:
High temps in the BIOS are normal. I repeat ... high temps in the BIOS are normal. This is especially true with the stock cooler, but even with a good cooler the temps in the BIOS will be higher than Windows temps.

Why?
The CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode while in the BIOS. It can only engage that mode while fully booted into Windows.

and another random person from internet reffering to core i5 cpu:
Quote:
I highly doubt your stock cooler ran 29C in the BIOS. My Hyper 212+ gets to 44C in the BIOS (granted I have an OC). BIOS temp is not idle as the processor is under significant load in the BIOS. Focus on what your temps are in Windows using Real Temp or HWMonitor. For example, my BIOS temp is 44C but my idle temp in HWMonitor is 24-28C..

Vcore fluctuates between 1.160 and 1.176 every second or so. +12v goes between +12.091 and 12.144. Haven't seen the +5 or +3 change values.

I think the VGA cable was a win idea though, thanks to who mentioned that, didn't realise you can hook these things up to a tv. Got it in local supermarket WHILE shopping for food, and now I will be able to see the 'bios temp difference' immediately after putting in the after-market cooler.

The bios screen is boring, even though that's where the tweaking happens. Maybe there is a bios update i'll need to do for this board though.

I'll also pick up an SSD obviously so I can install windows. I'll get one without a sandforce controller as I've read of horror stories about them. Only other thing I noticed is there are no beeps when I boot it, perhaps this board doesn't make any sounds often. And I won't be doing any overclocking until I have read a ton about how to do it for this chip. Even then I will settle for 4.5Ghz.
Edited by ilikebeer - 2/23/12 at 7:13am
post #77 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Yes running stock intel cool atm (this is even hot for stock?)... until the weekend when I put in a silver arrow. It's probably not abnormally hot, I found on the internet that in the bios the cpu is under significant load. It isn't idle at all
Quote:
High temps in the BIOS are normal. I repeat ... high temps in the BIOS are normal. This is especially true with the stock cooler, but even with a good cooler the temps in the BIOS will be higher than Windows temps.
Why?
The CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode while in the BIOS. It can only engage that mode while fully booted into Windows.
and another random person from internet reffering to core i5 cpu:
Quote:
I highly doubt your stock cooler ran 29C in the BIOS. My Hyper 212+ gets to 44C in the BIOS (granted I have an OC). BIOS temp is not idle as the processor is under significant load in the BIOS. Focus on what your temps are in Windows using Real Temp or HWMonitor. For example, my BIOS temp is 44C but my idle temp in HWMonitor is 24-28C..
Vcore fluctuates between 1.160 and 1.176 every second or so. +12v goes between +12.091 and 12.144. Haven't seen the +5 or +3 change values.
I think the VGA cable was a win idea though, thanks to who mentioned that, didn't realise you can hook these things up to a tv. Got it in local supermarket WHILE shopping for food, and now I will be able to see the 'bios temp difference' immediately after putting in the after-market cooler.
The bios screen is boring, even though that's where the tweaking happens. Maybe there is a bios update i'll need to do for this board though.
I'll also pick up an SSD obviously so I can install windows. I'll get one without a sandforce controller as I've read of horror stories about them. Only other thing I noticed is there are no beeps when I boot it, perhaps this board doesn't make any sounds often. And I won't be doing any overclocking until I have read a ton about how to do it for this chip. Even then I will settle for 4.5Ghz.
Having a significant/full load and not being able to downclock at idle are two very different things. The CPU not downclocking while in the BIOS seems plausible but I would have to research to confirm the validity of that. The BIOS doesn't stress the CPU really at all. As I'm sure you know you can't believe everything you read on the Internet.biggrin.gif I have an Asrock FM1 board and the BIOS temperature monitor doesn't work right at all (the BIOS temps like freeze and don't change no matter the cooling changes I make). I wouldn't worry if they seem a little high as the BIOS could be reporting the wrong temps. Small fluctuations in Vcore and the voltage rails of the PSU are normal.
Edited by Ben the OCer - 2/23/12 at 11:05am
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
Contains Awesome
(14 items)
 
DVR HTPC
(16 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Celeron G540 2.5GHz Intel DZ68AF Micro ATX Asus HD7750 G.SKILL Eco 4GB DDR3-1600 Kit 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 120GB WD Green 2.5TB Samsung Blu-Ray Drive Intel Stock Cooler 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Viewsonic 27" 720P TV Lenovo Multimedia Remote with Keyboard (N5902) Corsair CX430M 
CaseMouseAudioOther
Silverstone GD05B-USB3.0 Micro ATX Logitech Harmony 300i + HP 5070-2584 IR Receiver Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Speaker System Hauppauge 1229 WinTV-HVR-2250 TV Tuner 
  hide details  
Reply
post #78 of 106
Thread Starter 
We have different boards and different cpu's. Having a cpu temp just 10c higher than the mobo temp doesn't seem crazy to me, just from common sense point of view. Anyway, I will update this log again once I have a real cooler AND windows 7 installed running coretemp etc. Sorry if you subscribed just for that tid bit of info smile.gif

As long as I didn't do something silly like leave a plastic film on the bottom of the stock cooler biggrin.gif. I looked but didn't see one, so didn't remove one. Ach, its 6am here.
post #79 of 106
Thread Starter 
Back from the local electronic market.

400

400

Silver arrow and a paste called arctic mx-2. Haven't heard of it but the guy said is good. Wanted to buy a crucial SSD there, but i'd rather get that part from a reputable place like new-egg. The 'booth' didn't even want to give me a receipt rolleyes.gif

I also asked if there was anything to remove the stock thermal paste, the guy said just use a tissue. I have baby wipes, would those work? I know there was a recommendation on a substance to use, but this is China and I've no idea how to explain about or name that product. wink.gif

Was so easy to clean the cpu, the thermal paste hadn't burnt in yet. Posted a thread in air cooling about a back plate question I have. I'm only going for 4.5Ghz but it gets really hot here in the summer so the above should help.
Edited by ilikebeer - 2/24/12 at 4:29am
post #80 of 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeer View Post

Yes running stock intel cool atm (this is even hot for stock?)... until the weekend when I put in a silver arrow. It's probably not abnormally hot, I found on the internet that in the bios the cpu is under significant load. It isn't idle at all
Quote:
High temps in the BIOS are normal. I repeat ... high temps in the BIOS are normal. This is especially true with the stock cooler, but even with a good cooler the temps in the BIOS will be higher than Windows temps.
Why?
The CPU cannot enter low-power idle mode while in the BIOS. It can only engage that mode while fully booted into Windows.
and another random person from internet reffering to core i5 cpu:
Quote:
I highly doubt your stock cooler ran 29C in the BIOS. My Hyper 212+ gets to 44C in the BIOS (granted I have an OC). BIOS temp is not idle as the processor is under significant load in the BIOS. Focus on what your temps are in Windows using Real Temp or HWMonitor. For example, my BIOS temp is 44C but my idle temp in HWMonitor is 24-28C..
Vcore fluctuates between 1.160 and 1.176 every second or so. +12v goes between +12.091 and 12.144. Haven't seen the +5 or +3 change values.
I think the VGA cable was a win idea though, thanks to who mentioned that, didn't realise you can hook these things up to a tv. Got it in local supermarket WHILE shopping for food, and now I will be able to see the 'bios temp difference' immediately after putting in the after-market cooler.
The bios screen is boring, even though that's where the tweaking happens. Maybe there is a bios update i'll need to do for this board though.
I'll also pick up an SSD obviously so I can install windows. I'll get one without a sandforce controller as I've read of horror stories about them. Only other thing I noticed is there are no beeps when I boot it, perhaps this board doesn't make any sounds often. And I won't be doing any overclocking until I have read a ton about how to do it for this chip. Even then I will settle for 4.5Ghz.

No problems! thumb.gif
 
Seven Seven Five
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1179/1450) 16GB G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Seven Seven Five
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Convertible i5 3570k (De-Lidded) Gigabyte Z77x-D3H XFX R9 290 With Koolance Block (1179/1450) 16GB G-Skill Ares 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 840 Evo Seagate Barracuda 2TB Western Digital Green 2TB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingCooling
Western Digital Green 640GB 2x OEM DVD Drives Heatkiller Rev 3.0 XSPC RX360 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
Laing D5 + XSPC Res Primochill Bloodshed Red Tubing Koolance Fullcover R9 290x Block Windows 10 Pro x64 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus VEH228H Asus VE228H Aavara TS742 Dual Monitor Stand Ducky Shine II Cherry Blue RED Backlit Mechanic... 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone Strider 850W HAF 932 Logitech G400 Gigabyte Ghost 
AudioOther
Microlab Solo6c Logitech C100 Webcam 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Build Logs
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Builds & Case Mods › Build Logs › First ever build, hope it turns out nice!