New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Beautiful Linux - Page 10

post #91 of 139
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

That's saying you should be connected.
What exactly is the error saying?

When trying to install Gnome?

I do:
Code:
pacman -S gnome

I will post the error in a sec.
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #92 of 139
install curlpaste:
Code:
pacman -S curlpaste

then run the following
Code:
curlpaste -f /var/log/pacman.log
and put the URL in here.

that will basically dump your pacman log into pastebin for us to read smile.gif (saves you typing the errors out)
post #93 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

as long as you follow the beginners guide (on Arch's website) and have ethernet hooked up to install machine, you should be fine thumb.gif
I installed arch for the first time a couple days ago and while the beginner guide sort of helped, it left out a lot of things I had to ask a friend for.
Money
(17 items)
 
Z575
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8Ghz MSI B350 Pro Carbon GIGABYTE R9 390 8GB 1100/1650Mhz 16GB Team DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
PNY CS1311 240GB - OS 2 x 2TB WD Black Raid 0 Synology DS416slim 4 x 1TB (raid 5) Corsair H100 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ElementaryOS Loki LG 29UM67P 29" 2560x1080 FreeSync HPE 87 w/ Browns + Ducky PBT caps 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 600W B2 Lian Li PCA05N Steelseries Rival 100 FiiO G10K + Philips SN9500HiFi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-3420M @ 2.2Ghz 1.1v Lenovo Torpedo A55 6720g2 8GB Kingston 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveOSMouse
Samsung 840 250GB ElementaryOS x86_64 Abyssus 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
Money
(17 items)
 
Z575
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ryzen 7 1700 @ 3.8Ghz MSI B350 Pro Carbon GIGABYTE R9 390 8GB 1100/1650Mhz 16GB Team DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
PNY CS1311 240GB - OS 2 x 2TB WD Black Raid 0 Synology DS416slim 4 x 1TB (raid 5) Corsair H100 
OSOSMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro ElementaryOS Loki LG 29UM67P 29" 2560x1080 FreeSync HPE 87 w/ Browns + Ducky PBT caps 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA 600W B2 Lian Li PCA05N Steelseries Rival 100 FiiO G10K + Philips SN9500HiFi 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-3420M @ 2.2Ghz 1.1v Lenovo Torpedo A55 6720g2 8GB Kingston 1600 CL9 
Hard DriveOSMouse
Samsung 840 250GB ElementaryOS x86_64 Abyssus 3.5G 
  hide details  
Reply
post #94 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.M. View Post

I installed arch for the first time a couple days ago and while the beginner guide sort of helped, it left out a lot of things I had to ask a friend for.

Like what?
post #95 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan9 View Post

How does it disagree? Please point me to which argument I made that those figures disprove? Because all you've done is completely ignore everything I've posted and replied with a complete tangent.
However, let's humour your statistics for one momemnt:

If proves that support for windows will be better, simply from a large knowledge base perspective, and Microsoft has a phone # you dial. Plus built in help files, and in the newer versions of windows, it can take you to a online support specialist.
Quote:
All market figures prove is market figures. Markets figures do not prove how easy something is to install. It does not prove how good support services are. It just proves market figures.
What's worse, is market figures can themselves be wrong. Let's take the desktop market for instance:
* nobody really knows Linux's exact market share as you rarely find Linux prebuilds,
* you rarely buy Linux install CD/DVDs
* and you rarely register your Linux install.
* Windows, on the other hand comes pre installed on nearly every laptop - so anyone who runs Linux in it will ultimately register as a Windows sale.
* and finally, market figures don't take dual booting into account. So someone who uses Win7 and Ubuntu (for example) will normally just register as 100% Windows user.
So while market figures do provide an interesting approximation of the use of an OS, it's far from an accurate gauge and definitely not a proof of anything I'd raised in my previous post.
I don't own any Apple products so never had any experience with official Apple support. so I'd have to take your word on that one. However you're missing the point I was raising about community support - it's often the 1st port of call when something fails and it's pretty much even across all the platforms in terms of ease of finding a solution online.

the online phenomenon of help for linux users is largely non exsistent, and god forbid you actually run into a unique problem like say a real software bug. May as well just pack it in, unless its on a commercially funded OS and software ecosystem. At least with the windows software ecosystem, bugs do get fixed, and to be honest, and I know this is gonna piss off the linux fanbios, windows software and the os itself, is largely less buggy, as a OS. Kernel for kernel, hard to say.
Quote:
Sorry, you've lost me here as I'm a little confused why you're discussing server and mobile OSs in the same sentence. redface.gif

becuase andriod, is linux done right for the end user.
Quote:
Linux is quite a way ahead of Haiku in a great number of areas. Not least of all with hardware and application support. It has a long way to go before it's a production ready desktop OS (in my opinion at least). There's a lot of other projects that's roughly on a par with Haiku which, if we're talking alternative OSs, deserve a mention too - AmigaOS, MorphOS, OS/2 and lets not forget the various desktop BSDs. Granted the former two are designed to run on PPC CPUs as opposed to x86. However with the advances with ARM, I wouldn't be surprised if a decade from now, ARM laptops are common place so I'd like to think (hope) that Morph and AROS are considering porting to ARM, even if AmigaOS never leaves PPC. There's also RISC OS, which is already available for ARM too - not used that in a while though so can't recall how complete it is.

These claims of being more advanced, are largely unfounded, in some ways in term of complexity, linux is ahead of Haiku, in all the areas that matter, is like comparing windows 3.0 to windows Beos, not even a fiar comparison. Its also a cohesive system, with a great overall design and lots of thought put into useability.
Quote:
Anyhow, my point is there's a whole plethora of OSs out there - Haiku isn't really all that special (aside being based on BeOS, which was simply awesome <3 )
I never said Linux support was better. You're now making assumptions that I will automatically argue that "Linux > *" simply because I defended the platform in a Linux forum.
What I actually said is Linux is on a par for all but high-street support. smile.gif


Haiku is actually better then BeOS now, it has a more preformance capable kernel, is less buggy, crashs less, has more drivers, supports more software and is even more posix compliant. In fact why they have yet to release, is completely beyond me, they drove by beos r5 like 3 years ago and didn't even noitce.

Completeness and integration trump features every day, a bunch of half implemented features, done poorly, no matter how many of them you glue together, does not make linux more advanced, its just more abstract and less complete per line of code
post #96 of 139
Let's just leave it at this.

I'll stick to Linux because the community has never let me down in the few problems I've ever had that I couldn't fix myself. Whereas with Windows, I post on their forums, get nowhere, talk to the guy sitting in Mumbai who doesn't speak a lick of English and doesn't help me one bit, Google for hours only to be returned results of unanswered forum posts of my exact problem from upwards of 6 years prior. When all I have to do in Linux is make one post on the forums, within 10 minutes maybe less, it's answered. If for some reason the forums are slow one day, IRC is always filled with readily helpful people.

As for the bug fixes, things get fixed rather quick, from my experience.
post #97 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

If proves that support for windows will be better, simply from a large knowledge base perspective,
No it doesn't. It just proves more people use windows.
Given that technically minded people (ie the people who are actually able to offer such support) are a lot more inclined to try alternative operating systems, it means your market share is completely irrellevent. As I've said before, you only have to look at forums like these to see that there is plenty of Linux support out there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

and Microsoft has a phone # you dial.
So does Canonical, Redhat and Novell. I'm sure other companies do too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

Plus built in help files,
So does Linux: KDE and GNOME help pages (KDE's help files have been on a bar with Windows for a good 10 years!). You also have man and info pages in Linux, which Windows doesn't have.
So I don't mean to be rude, but have you actually used Linux before tongue.gif Because you'd only have to hit [F1] in your DE of choice to see that help files are there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

and in the newer versions of windows, it can take you to a online support specialist.
I'm sure you can with some distros of Linux. If not officially, then unofficially via IRC.
Linux also have plenty of official forums (pretty much all the distros do in fact).

If there's one thing Linux doesn't lack, it's support. If you'd argued about incompatable distros or whatever, then you might have a point, but support is the one thing Linux does in spades. rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

the online phenomenon of help for linux users is largely non exsistent,
Yet here we are. this whole forum must be a figment of my imagination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

and god forbid you actually run into a unique problem like say a real software bug.
Yeah, you'd have to fall back to the default Windows solution: format and reinstall rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

At least with the windows software ecosystem, bugs do get fixed, and to be honest,
Bugs do get fixed in Linux. Just have a read through the release notes on any piece of software and you'll see the majorety of the patches are bug fixes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

and I know this is gonna piss off the linux fanbios, windows software and the os itself, is largely less buggy, as a OS. Kernel for kernel, hard to say.
NT is getting there with Microsofts MinWin project, and I'd probably agree with you that Windows appears less glitchy than (for example) KDE4. Windows compared to DWM (for example), then DWM would probably win. But now all we're doing is comparing the complexities of the suite (and thus the bugs more complex solutions invariably introduce) rather than the quality of the code base itself. However I will concede that a truely fair / scientific comparison is pretty hard due to the lack of standardisation in Linux (ie you can't compare Linux to windows because Linux isn't a fixed target).

Going back to your argument thoguh: no OS is bug free, so it's more a matter of picking the lesser of two evils. So that's really a matter of preference more than anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

becuase andriod, is linux done right for the end user.
...yes, but that doesn't answer my question.
Edited by Plan9 - 2/24/12 at 3:44am
post #98 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

These claims of being more advanced, are largely unfounded,
I never said "advanced". rolleyes.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

in some ways in term of complexity, linux is ahead of Haiku, in all the areas that matter, is like comparing windows 3.0 to windows Beos, not even a fiar comparison. Its also a cohesive system, with a great overall design and lots of thought put into useability.
Why do you keep ignoring every point I make?
Linux is ahead of Haiku in terms of hardware and software support. That's not unfounded, that's stating the obvious. It's not derogatory against Haiku either - they just don't have the same community of OSS developers nor OEM support - so it's obviously going to be behind Linux. It sucks that it comes down to man power and commecial backing, but sadly it does.

I don't get this attitude of yours - you come on a Linux forum, start spouting a number of fallacies then completely ignore any counter arguments anyone has to make and brush us all off as fanboys. Are you here to troll (the vin3.0 vs BeOS comment is clearly flamebait)? Because for a moment earlier, I actually thought you were interested in a sensible discussion. frown.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

Haiku is actually better then BeOS now, it has a more preformance capable kernel, is less buggy, crashs less, has more drivers, supports more software and is even more posix compliant.
I know. I've used both. wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

In fact why they have yet to release, is completely beyond me, they drove by beos r5 like 3 years ago and didn't even noitce.
I have a theory, but that's for another thread smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCollins View Post

Completeness and integration trump features every day, a bunch of half implemented features, done poorly, no matter how many of them you glue together, does not make linux more advanced, its just more abstract and less complete per line of code
Oh just leave already. If you're going to be antagonistic and narrowminded then I really suggest the Linux forum isn't the ideal home for you.
We've all been more than fair - I've often been highly critical of Linux in fact. But people like you (that anti-brigade) are just as repulsive as fanboys.
If you want a mature discussion, then stick to the facts and don't ignore any counter arguments. If you just want to troll, well then you'll find your posts wont last long on here as the mods do a good job deleting flamebait. wink.gif
Edited by Plan9 - 2/24/12 at 3:48am
post #99 of 139
Thread Starter 
Hmm I tried: pacman -Syy
That failed
I tried dchpcd, that failed too. I tried some other methods and that failed too. Does it matter that I connect to a modem?
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
Main Rig.
(14 items)
 
Battlefield 2 review.
Battlefield 2 PC Game EA
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Bulldozer FX4100 Gigabyte GA-M68MT-S2 MSI 7770 Kingston Hyper X | 2 x 2 GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
WD 2 TB  LiteON DVD/CD R-W Drive AMD Standard cooler Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
32' Luxor Full HD TV Microsoft comfort curce Antec 450 Watt OcUK Value case 
MouseAudio
Microsoft wireless mouse Logitech speakers & Bass 
  hide details  
Reply
post #100 of 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshd View Post

Hmm I tried: pacman -Syy
That failed
I tried dchpcd, that failed too. I tried some other methods and that failed too. Does it matter that I connect to a modem?

What kind of modem? Is it something like an ADSL or Cable modem it should work fine, but if it is 56k (dialup) modem, there might be some extra steps involved. When I run dhcpcd it connects and then registers an ip address. Where does it fail?

It looks like you aren't connected to the internet, and a pacman update will only work if you are connected to the internet. Normally, it should work when you plug in your ethernet cable. Try running this command, which should be better than just running dhcpcd:
Code:
/etc/rc.d/network restart

If it fails (on start, not on stop), there's a problem with your connection setup. The ArchWiki has a very in depth entry about getting network to start properly, but to me it looks pretty complicated.

Keep trying! It shouldn't be that hard. You've gotta be missing something...
Ye Old Desktop
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.24 GHz ASUS M4A77D PNY GTX 470 7 GB DDR2 RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
500 GB Hitachi 250 GB Maxtor (PATA) x16 DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Professional x68 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hannspree HF255HPB Logitech G15 (2nd Gen) Corsair TX 650 V2 Antec 300 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
  hide details  
Reply
Ye Old Desktop
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.24 GHz ASUS M4A77D PNY GTX 470 7 GB DDR2 RAM 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveOS
500 GB Hitachi 250 GB Maxtor (PATA) x16 DVD/CD RW Windows 7 Professional x68 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Hannspree HF255HPB Logitech G15 (2nd Gen) Corsair TX 650 V2 Antec 300 
MouseAudio
Logitech G9 Creative Audigy 2 ZS 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Linux, Unix