Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › FX-8120 OC Help
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

FX-8120 OC Help - Page 2

post #11 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

B2K is very CPU dependant(Not as nearly optimized as standard BF3 maps) and an FX will take a huge hit especially with 5870 CFX.

Yes, but...

It doesn't explain a drop from 60-10fps. I never drop below 45 on my setup, and the only major difference between both of us is that he has CF 5870, and I have CF 6970s... Other than my CPU overclock which wouldn't come even remotely close to accounting for that.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bius View Post

Yes, but...
It doesn't explain a drop from 60-10fps. I never drop below 45 on my setup, and the only major difference between both of us is that he has CF 5870, and I have CF 6970s... Other than my CPU overclock which wouldn't come even remotely close to accounting for that.

Probably vRam limitation on his 5870's.

Regardless, FX is one of the poorer performers on CPU bound games especially with dual setups.
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #13 of 33
Yes, but BF3 is one of a few exceptions really. It is coded for 8 threads. That's the only reason I pointed that out.
post #14 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

Probably vRam limitation on his 5870's.
Regardless, FX is one of the poorer performers on CPU bound games especially with dual setups.

i have to agree with this. with everything maxed out, ive gone over 2gb of vram usage on a few maps using a 580 lightning xtreme.
My Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA 580 Classified Ultra 4x 4GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
180GB Corsair Force GT 4x 2Tb Western Digital Caviar Black Pioneer BDR-206MBK Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate 64bit Asus VK278Q Razer BlackWidow Ultimate OCZ ZX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
DimasTech Bench Table Easy Dual V2.5 Razer DeathAdder Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
My Rig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2ghz Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z EVGA 580 Classified Ultra 4x 4GB G.Skill Sniper Series @ 1600mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
180GB Corsair Force GT 4x 2Tb Western Digital Caviar Black Pioneer BDR-206MBK Thermalright Silver Arrow 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win7 Ultimate 64bit Asus VK278Q Razer BlackWidow Ultimate OCZ ZX 850w 
CaseMouseAudio
DimasTech Bench Table Easy Dual V2.5 Razer DeathAdder Logitech G35 
  hide details  
Reply
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bius View Post

Yes, but BF3 is one of a few exceptions really. It is coded for 8 threads. That's the only reason I pointed that out.

Don't care how many threads it can use bro.
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #16 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

Don't care how many threads it can use bro.

Uhhh... Then don't pretend to know about multithreaded performance...

All I'm pointing out is the high unlikelyhood that an 8 core FX chip is bottlenecking a well known multithreaded environ.

Brah.
post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bius View Post

Uhhh... Then don't pretend to know about multithreaded performance...
All I'm pointing out is the high unlikelyhood that an 8 core FX chip is bottlenecking a well known multithreaded environ.
Brah.

intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png


cpu%20scaling.png


amd%20fx-8150%20cores.png

Who's pretending again?
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #18 of 33
if you want some OC settings take a look here. Its only got a couple, but please throw in your settings once you get thing stable!

http://www.overclock.net/t/1211859/the-fx-8xxx-owners-club/0_50#post_16493622
post #19 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmac73 View Post

intel%20core%20i7-2600k%20cores.png
cpu%20scaling.png
amd%20fx-8150%20cores.png
Who's pretending again?

You.

From the same site you got those graphs from:

"AMD was very enthusiastic about FX’s performance in Battlefield 3 (multiplayer beta, at the time). And no wonder—Battlefield 3's single-player campaign doesn’t care if you’re using a $130 Core i3 or $315 Core i7. It doesn’t care if you come armed with two Hyper-Threaded cores or four Bulldozer modules. It just. Doesn’t. Care."

These charts are from a single player review. OP plays "64-player multiplayer maps". Funny thing is that if I had let that slide, then you would have proved my point. The FX 8150 performed at 99-100% that of a i7-2600k, therefor making your statement, "Regardless, FX is one of the poorer performers on CPU bound games especially with dual setups" completely and utterly invalid in this particular situation.

Let me know when you've got another irrelevant point.
post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0bius View Post

You.
From the same site you got those graphs from:
"AMD was very enthusiastic about FX’s performance in Battlefield 3 (multiplayer beta, at the time). And no wonder—Battlefield 3's single-player campaign doesn’t care if you’re using a $130 Core i3 or $315 Core i7. It doesn’t care if you come armed with two Hyper-Threaded cores or four Bulldozer modules. It just. Doesn’t. Care."
These charts are from a single player review. OP plays "64-player multiplayer maps". Funny thing is that if I had let that slide, then you would have proved my point. The FX 8150 performed at 99-100% that of a i7-2600k, therefor making your statement, "Regardless, FX is one of the poorer performers on CPU bound games especially with dual setups" completely and utterly invalid in this particular situation.
Let me know when you've got another irrelevant point.

Fair enough.

Regardless, OP has yet to come back so instead of bickering maybe we can solve his problem with either A) Overclocking to overcome what could be a problem due to terribly low IPC or B) vRam limitation possibly dependant on too much AA or whatever.

OP, what are all your in game settings.
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
Heat
(14 items)
 
Asus G73JH
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 3770K @ 4600mhz Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H eVGA GTX 980 eVGA GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Team 8gb @ 2400mhz  SSDs LiteOn H70Core/ Ultra Kaze PP 
OSPowerCase
W7 Ultimate X64 PCP&C MKII 950W CM Storm Scout 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 720 Asus HD5870M 6gb Triple Channel 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
500gb Asus Dual Fans W7 17.3" 
Mouse
Razer Orochi 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › FX-8120 OC Help